Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,299 members, 7,819,009 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:55 AM

Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty - Travel (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty (63937 Views)

A Story Of How I Got Deported From Canada(pictures) / 100 Cars Pile-Up, Kill 5, Injure And Trap Many On Texas Highway (Pics) / Helicopter Flying Couple To The Airport For Honeymoon Crashes In Texas (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by wjames(m): 11:20pm On Feb 05, 2023
larrypourl:

I'm enjoying your story, but there was never a time 2003-2007 Toyota Corolla Toks was sold less than 1m. Infact a senior colleague bought his 06 Corolla around 2011 for 1.650m and Camry 2001 for 1.250m. Even the 1998-2002 Corolla hover around 850-1.1m.
The cars available within your quoted price na golf 2, Nissan Almera, Primera, Carina E, II, Sunny, etc cos those were the cheap cars then. Camry and Corolla don cost no bi today.

No be so oo baba. In 2019, i sold naija used corolla for 700k to 1.2m depending on the condition.Tokunbo na 1.8m to 2m. Muscle was 1.2 to 2m depending on the condition too.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 11:21pm On Feb 05, 2023
viodemus:

Real experience bro. You know wetin you dey talk. Experience wey nearly blindside you. lol. That kyn gbege dey make spit dry from mouth. Pillar to post movement for a couple of hours. If na igbo people, dem go say na ishi/isi mgbaka (head scatter). You no go understand why the thing dey escalate. Na so.

He neva experience transportation, housing, feeding, job daily operation, job skills,trainings, and certifications to earn, etc. Not to talk about the underground world, easy to setup, easy to be distracted, easy to be misguided. I wish am good luck in his next chapter. Because sometimes, mouth no fit talk wetin eyes see.

My problem with people that claim to know it all is that they assume the world is linear and everyone experience is the same. Look, I was never given a chance in this life. I have been tested so many times and there has always been a way out as you can see from my write up. Don't assume I am naive and think life is a bed of roses. I hope you sit back and read this thoughtfully before you reply. Peace.

11 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Mikael0407(m): 11:21pm On Feb 05, 2023
JoeEeL:

Nope.

It is important I point out that what he thinks is "poverty" is a grand-design by those where he runs to, to seek succour.

Im also outta d country but I don't count it a miracle. I am very aware of this gaping problem and how dark d future is for us all if we cannot even figure out d nucleus of our woes.

"What he thinks is poverty"?!
You can only know your own experiences in life, you can never understand another person's viewpoint no matter how hard you try. Maybe you never experienced the level of poverty he did when you were in the country. The reality of the Nigeria I live in today is one of dejection and hopelessness. I see it everyday in the faces of people in my surroundings. Everyone agrees things have never been this bad! Escaping this country for atleast 80% of us would infact be a miracle.
I Know we should all pray and do our part to make Nigeria a better place but don't forget the saying "if your environment doesn't change you(positively), then change your environment." Most of us would gladly do the same as you and the op did if we had the chance. That doesn't mean we don't love the country or want it to prosper but we have to look out for ourselves first don't we?

6 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Archangelhenrio(m): 11:29pm On Feb 05, 2023
What about your father? Did you hear anything about him after all this years.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Mikael0407(m): 11:30pm On Feb 05, 2023
Slynation:
You guys should stop thisnl black man shit for once, USA is an upgrade to Nigeria so Yes, one needs to rejoice when leaving Nigeria for USA...

That fellow thinks he knows so much but in reality he's just a clown. He's also very bold to claim he's "out of the country" but laughs at others for taking the same decision he did. A true dumbass if I ever encountered one.

7 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Iriruaga100(m): 11:34pm On Feb 05, 2023
Mikael0407:

You can only know your own experiences in life, you can never understand another person's viewpoint no matter how hard you try. Maybe you never experienced the level of poverty he did when you were in the country. The reality of the Nigeria I live in today is one of dejection and hopelessness. I see it everyday in the faces of people in my surroundings. Everyone agrees things have never been this bad! Escaping this country for atleast 80% of us would infact be a miracle.
I Know we should all pray and do our part to make Nigeria a better place but don't forget the saying "if your environment doesn't change you(positively), then change your environment." Most of us would gladly do the same as you and the op did if we had the chance. That doesn't mean we don't love the country or want it to prosper but we have to look out for ourselves first don't we?

You said it all and I hope they get the message. Our story and experience differs.

1 Like

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Ogaonos: 11:38pm On Feb 05, 2023
mrksquare:

Drop your email let me send you a material on how to go about it.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by viodemus: 11:54pm On Feb 05, 2023
247Hustler:
My problem with people that claim to know it all is that they assume the world is linear and everyone experience is the same. Look, I was never given a chance in this life. I have been tested so many times and there has always been a way out as you can see from my write up. Don't assume I am naive and think life is a bed of roses. I hope you sit back and read this thoughtfully before you reply. Peace.

Am glad you know that. I wish you success.

I still say, don't under estimate the adjustment period. You go still know say, next chapter no be always the end of the book.

I don't plan on following your new post, since you finished the naija part. until maybe sometime in the future after you have adjusted and gained some life and skills experience, that could be some years later.

I am not under-estimating your potential. But I think you are under estimating the challenges you might encounter. Like I said, maybe you have previous work skills that can pay you handsomely and assist you settle in immediately, qnd/or you have your accomodation situation settled for the long haul. Then you have the early basics of your immigration paperwork straightening, driving license or identification. and even the issue of friends. If you haven't factored most of these, then you are just been aloof on reality. Get busy with that, no time to do reporter when you are about to climb a steep mountain.

The challenges are not insurmountable, but it can be very challenging and could end in regrets and tears.

Person wey just graduate from primary school, cun go secondary school, will be aloof to think say secondary school na easy period before you reach ss3.

Good luck. I mean that in good faith.

1 Like

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Karleb(m): 12:09am On Feb 06, 2023
Happy for you man! I thought people said getting American visa is near impossible and you left the country 2 months ago.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 12:21am On Feb 06, 2023
viodemus:

Am glad you know that. I wish you success.

I still say, don't under estimate the adjustment period. You go still know say, next chapter no be always the end of the book.

I don't plan on following your new post, since you finished the naija part. until maybe sometime in the future after you have adjusted and gained some life and skills experience, that could be some years later.

I am not under-estimating your potential. But I think you are under estimating the challenges you might encounter. Like I said, maybe you have previous work skills that can pay you handsomely and assist you settle in immediately, qnd/or you have your accomodation situation settled for the long haul. Then you have the early basics of your immigration paperwork straightening, driving license or identification. and even the issue of friends. If you haven't factored most of these, then you are just been aloof on reality. Get busy with that, no time to do reporter when you are about to climb a steep mountain.

The challenges are not insurmountable, but it can be very challenging and could end in regrets and tears.

Person wey just graduate from primary school, cun go secondary school, will be aloof to think say secondary school na easy period before you reach ss3.

Good luck. I mean that in good faith.
I can sense your bitterness and how you wish things will continue to be hard. Once again, my pattern of thinking is not the way you assume it is and I will advise you to keep your negativity far from here. I am not interested in engaging you further. Please don't quote me again.

16 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Kingbenn(m): 1:00am On Feb 06, 2023
My questions are, what kinda gig are you running that fetch such amount of money? And also, what are the questions you were asked at the embassy?
247Hustler:
The road to America

By the end of March 2022, I have received responses for all my school applications. I have four total offers with one being funded. I was very happy but I decided to keep calm as I have read several cases of people being denied visas at the embassy.

I proceeded to arrange for the payment of my SEVIS and visa fees. I had a little delay with the payment of my SEVIS fee, so I could not pay on time. For this reason, I missed the early dates that were released for the interview. When the money was finally paid, I started looking for interview dates in Abuja. This process was arguably one of the hardest as dates were always not available. After a series of sleepless nights and sleeping on my computer keyboard, I managed to get a date that was a few days to resumption. I picked this date and began my preparation for the visa interview.

When it was two days before my interview, I left Ogun State for Abuja by road. Prior to this time, I have read news of kidnappings on the road. Although the news greatly disturbed me and my loved ones, the flight cost was exorbitant and going for that option would create a big hole in my finances considering my current and future expenses.

I got to Abuja at night and lodged at a guesthouse for two nights. On the day of the interview, I woke up very early and went to the US Embassy at Diplomatic Drive. When I got there, I met other people who were the for the same purpose and I went straight to the front. About an hour later, we lined up and were told to go in after the checks.

Throughout the process, I was so nervous because the stakes were so high. Since I was the first person in the queue, I was also the first person to be interviewed by the visa officer. My interview lasted for less than three minutes and I was approved. I quickly took my files and left the embassy for the guesthouse. Then I called my family and friends to inform them about the good news. It seemed surreal! My visa has been approved and I will be going to America!

A few weeks later, I booked my flight and the travel was scheduled for December. After spending time with my family and loved ones, I departed Nigeria for the United States in December 2022.

Yes, dreams do come true! I hope someone will try again one more time before giving up on life.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by MrDam(m): 1:42am On Feb 06, 2023
Honestly I have someone that got Toyota Corolla 08 tokunbo in 2014 @1.2m the car as at today is about 3.7m if not more.
247Hustler:
Some people are not aware that there was a time in Nigeria that things were relatively cheap. For instance, the popular Toyota Corolla used for Uber goes for about 500,000 - 700,000 around this time.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by viodemus: 2:00am On Feb 06, 2023
247Hustler:
I can sense your bitterness and how you wish things will continue to be hard. Once again, my pattern of thinking is not the way you assume it is and I will advise you to keep your negativity far from here. I am not interested in engaging you further. Please don't quote me again.

Guy abeg shift. I don't care for your delusioned thread. That is the only reason why I respond, to let people know that when you travel without a correct support, they shouldn't be aloof like you. That is the time you have to kick in to a higher mental gear, or else you might learn the hard way. Be prepared, you emotional wreck. You will need every bit of it.

As for me, your going to America in December 2022, and acting like you are doing anything big or acting like you have arrived, is alarmingly mumuish to me. You neva see anything yet, but you wan dey underrate the challenges. Focus on getting yourself straight with your paperwork. know your environment. E go soon choke u, u go go thief. future criminal. I dey try alert you and any wanna be aloof like you.

I travel out including to America at anytime I feel like or for projects. I wish everyone success and grace, including you. but...

E be like say your mumu go lead you, keep following it. Ingrained f**l. I no send your mumu thread.

1 Like

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by naijainstinct: 3:44am On Feb 06, 2023
viodemus:

Guy abeg shift. I don't care for your delusioned thread. That is the only reason why I respond, to let people know that when you travel without a correct support, they shouldn't be aloof like you. That is the time you have to kick in to a higher mental gear, or else you might learn the hard way. Be prepared, you emotional wreck. You will need every bit of it.

As for me, your going to America in December 2022, and acting like you are doing anything big or acting like you have arrived, is alarmingly mumuish to me. You neva see anything yet, but you wan dey underrate the challenges. Focus on getting yourself straight with your paperwork. know your environment. E go soon choke u, u go go thief. future criminal. I dey try alert you and any wanna be aloof like you.

I travel out including to America at anytime I feel like or for projects. I wish everyone success and grace, including you. but...

E be like say your mumu go lead you, keep following it. Ingrained f**l. I no send your mumu thread.

Wow. Why this level of bitterness? Why?

11 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by yeldey: 4:12am On Feb 06, 2023
My own road was rough too, though my parent were alive & together. Now, I'm in Edmonton, Canada. All I can say is Thank You Lord.

I shed lot of tears while reading your story because I can relate.

5 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by viodemus: 4:45am On Feb 06, 2023
naijainstinct:
Wow. Why this level of bitterness? Why?

There's nothing to be bitter about. Maybe you are a bitter person. Work on your assumptions. He start yawa with me, for pointing out that he is kinda encouraging other hopefuls to believe in his aloofness, while he himself don't have no experience in his new location.

He may have a solid foundation on finances or through people that can support him in this early stages, but if not, the first 2 or more years are very crucial, these are the fold your sleeves times; he doesn't have experience yet, he will need to be more attentive to his new realities on ground. I don't mean to derail the thread; I respect his journey. But I will remind other nigerians who travel for hustle, there are no mansions in the sky, if you have the chance, try to adjust to your new environment, manage your anxiety, study your city including laws, have a goal (s), have fun, educate yourself, and stay out of crime.

The op is aloofing like a future criminal or drug peddler. i hope not. Buf FBI and olokpa go dey watch am.

2 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Spanishmilf(m): 5:40am On Feb 06, 2023
viodemus:

There's nothing to be bitter about. Maybe you are a bitter person. Work on your assumptions. He start yawa with me, for pointing out that he is kinda encouraging other hopefuls to believe in his aloofness, while he himself don't have no experience in his new location.

bro rest wtf 😂😂

3 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Nobody: 6:18am On Feb 06, 2023
ParasiteWest:
There cannot be a right government until the West is put in their place. The interest of the West in developing countries is to make sure the developing countries remain impoverished so the citizens of those countries would find migration to the West for 'greener pastures' attractive where they're then exploited and exposed to modern day slavery. Their intent is to keep the West as a 'paradise' in the minds of the manipulated public. The West influenced the politics of Africa directly/indirectly. The right govt will get the 'Gaddafi treatment'
AnyanwuSilas:
I'm an Igbo man and not a Muslim, I know what's good for Africans, it's the West that destabilise our continent and take our best brain, why should I live in the US or RUSSIA when chance is being created by Russia to build my home? Russia have more nuclear warheads than the US, nobody will win a nuclear war, it will simply destroy the world, as an African it's better the world be destroyed and sent back to stone age instead the US will enslave the world, you think Russia is alone? The US are hypocrite, what did Obama do for Africans as a black man? they rather used him to destabilised Africa, was it not Obama that killed Gaddafi, Let’s be Frank, a multipolar world is better than one world order.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Boniwhite: 6:42am On Feb 06, 2023
love your courage man
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 6:53am On Feb 06, 2023
snowland:
I was once in Texas too. PM me, I got some documents to give if you're interested in IT (Big data). Congrats and welcome to the God's own country, land of the free and home of the brave.
Thank you. I sent a pm.

1 Like

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 7:14am On Feb 06, 2023
Reni1:

Brosss, na bad belle be this now. Yes, one starts from ground Zero when they migrate to the US but with the right information one will rise over time. He sure is out of the trenches and will do fine if he moves with the right people and right information.

You are right about the army, but he cannot join until he has a greencard and that fast tracks him to citizenship.

Me, I feel say 247Hustler, use us do therapy session but no pay us for listening to his gist, way him express himself and release all the pains he had endures over the years.
Regardless, 247Hustler is out of the trenches and he has changed the trajectory of his life. I go advise make you follow the guy and check him out in 5 years time.

Baba,247 Hustler, I am guessing you are on F1, you get the hustle and I trust say you no go dull yourself. Work dey infact i saw a Night Shift foodpicker job for $24/hr im Dallas Texas area yesterday meaning when other dey sleep you fit dey cash out. Na to find who go borrow you dia paper, get a moderate paying job. In the US, once you have a good source of income, no body cares where you come from.

Also I guess say you young, when you are falling in love, try fall in love with the blue passport so your permanent residency go sure or run the paper as soon as possible.

As for F1 to H1B, i know say of you dey study Science Tech Engineering or Maths hope dey incomparison to others

In fact this is what i tell my cousin in Nigeria to do but the guy is waiting for someone to bless him with N20M so he can leave Nigeria even though his monthly salary is N60,000 per momth

Regardless, congrats on your journey in a new phase. I dont know you but I am proud of you. You will be fine in about 3-5 years, just trust the process.
Thanks for the heads-up. I sent you a pm.

1 Like

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 7:37am On Feb 06, 2023
MyFlair:

But how can you leave by December for a fall admission
That's fall admission that was deferred for spring.

1 Like

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by naijainstinct: 7:53am On Feb 06, 2023
viodemus:

He may have a solid foundation on finances or through people that can support him in this early stages, but if not, the first 2 or more years are very crucial, these are the fold your sleeves times; he doesn't have experience yet, he will need to be more attentive to his new realities on ground. I don't mean to derail the thread; I respect his journey. But I will remind other nigerians who travel for hustle, there are no mansions in the sky, if you have the chance, try to adjust to your new environment, manage your anxiety, study your city including laws, have a goal (s), have fun, educate yourself, and stay out of crime.

The op is aloofing like a future criminal or drug peddler. i hope not. Buf FBI and olokpa go dey watch am.

k
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by JoeEeL(m): 8:05am On Feb 06, 2023
Mikael0407:

You make a point. I agree.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by JoeEeL(m): 8:07am On Feb 06, 2023
Slynation:
You guys should stop thisnl black man shit for once, USA is an upgrade to Nigeria so Yes, one needs to rejoice when leaving Nigeria for USA...

That is exactly how d slavemasters want us to reason. I refuse to reason that way. Travel if you will, but have the bottled anger to know the main culprits behind your woes simple and short.

Same USA took 20b dollars worth of oil unaccounted for last year. Do u know this?

Abeggi... That is una problem. Una no deh learn.

1 Like

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by davimus(m): 8:16am On Feb 06, 2023
What was your niche in upwork using freelancing to finance the dream [/b]

At the point of quitting my HR job in Lagos, I decided to create an account on Upwork. The site was easy to create an account but I found it difficult to decide what to include and not include so I could make my profile attractive to clients. Nonetheless, I read a couple of things online and used the information to set up my account, and then left the account as there was no time to apply for jobs.

However, a few weeks after I resigned from my job, I got invited for a permanent job that would pay about eight hundred thousand naira (#800,000) per month. It was a US-based company and the client was willing to hire many people for the same role. Since I have never submitted any proposal in the past, I struggled on what to include and not include in the proposal. Due to my inexperience, I couldn’t write a good proposal and answered the screening questions poorly. This made me the only one that did not get the job out the four of us that were invited to apply. Although I didn’t get the job, I was happy I was considered. Then I continued to apply on both LinkedIn and Upwork. I got two other ones around October and November but didn’t earn anything from them.

In December 2021, I was back in Ogun State and penniless again, but this time like the proverbial prodigal son, broke and penniless. My aunt cried when she saw me because she thought I needed stability and I was not going to achieve that with my pattern of life that was filled with costly adventures. She didn’t understand why I couldn’t just continue with my job on the Island since the pay was not totally bad for someone with that year of experience. But for me, it was just a transitional phase towards something bigger.

From January 2022, I became more aggressive with my application, and by the middle of February, I landed a gig with a company in the US. This job took about two months and I earned about one million naira (#1,000,000) for the first time by the end of the project. I later got another long-term project with a company in Ireland. I got other big projects that I declined because they would run throughout the whole year and I was expecting to leave the country before then. Overall and for the first time ever, I made about three million naira (#3,000,000) from freelancing within seven months!
[/quote]
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Geominer: 8:21am On Feb 06, 2023
snowland:
Nope. I'm neither. I'm proudly Nigerian, proudly Yoruba.
Ayt sir.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Enddy50ty(m): 9:46am On Feb 06, 2023
mrksquare:

Drop your email let me send you a material on how to go about it.

Can I drop mine too? I'm also interested please.
endy50ty@gmail.com
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by teejay29(m): 10:21am On Feb 06, 2023
Mrtaye:

How much is it now
i don't know.
Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by theamazonguru(m): 10:29am On Feb 06, 2023
NiceClean:
I am interested in freelancing but I really don't know how to go about it. Can someone throw more light on this for me.

The only money I can dash you is to join LaptopLaivestyle on telegram.

It is a group for freelancers, coordinated by Abiola omoalhaja. You can even follow him on Twitter. Guy is a blessing to freelancers.

You will definitely get your bearing, that is if you are ready to put in the works.
Because you will get access to enough materials, Twitter space hangouts, once in a while meetings on zoom: where you get to listen to industry experts invited to motivated other freelancers.

Best of luck.

1 Like

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by syntekelite(m): 10:44am On Feb 06, 2023
Mrtaye:

You bought mattress from 8k?

Most likely secondhand soldier mattress..

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (19) (Reply)

Lion Attacks & Kills An Antelope While Tourists Watch From Their Cars (photos) / My 30 Days Sojourn Through Cotonou To Dubai / American Tourist Describes Nigeria After Spending 12 Days In Lagos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.