Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,464 members, 7,812,414 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:00 PM

Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora (27861 Views)

My Lovely Trip to Jubilee Chalets In Epe Owned By The Lagos State Government / Inagbe Grand Resort Owned By The Ooni Of Ife / My Visit To Willow Wood: Hotel Allegedly Owned By Rochas Okorocha In Owerri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by phemmyfour: 3:02pm On Feb 12, 2023
ayo84:
I created this thread for fellow Nigerians in diaspora to list or mention their businesses or registered companies with a perview to get volunteers, staff, freelancers to associate with them. For example it can attract investment from Nigerians who are planning to relocate or looking for freelancing roles.
It's classified
Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by NaBanga: 3:04pm On Feb 12, 2023
ednut1:
the way indians team up to buy all the gas stations, fast food joins and do real estate ehn. Nigerians cant pull it off there will envy, people sleeping with another person wife or daughter, cheating, backstabbing . Sabotage etc. shame on us hahahaha

It's not even a Nigerian problem. It's a black man problem. Find one place in the world where black people to team up to help other blacks, outside of their own country. We might help each other gets jobs, but that will only be limited to who we know personally. I don't see any major companies being ran and dominated by blacks anywhere in the world. The reason is that we don't like to see each other do well.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by TheRealestGuy(m): 3:06pm On Feb 12, 2023
I've often wondered why we have fewer businesses owners as Africans compared to the Asians.

We must change the narrative.

Meanwhile, any good programmer out there who can be a partner for a startup idea?

Link up.

10 Likes

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by ayo84(m): 3:10pm On Feb 12, 2023
UnknownT:
My colleague relocated with the wife to the UK after the Brother in-law sent him a work visa for his company over there.

Thats what im talking about

8 Likes

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by STOICREALIST: 3:12pm On Feb 12, 2023
OmniCorps

Soon Coming to Saskatoon.

1 Like

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by inoki247: 3:16pm On Feb 12, 2023
When you go to some Africa countries you will see First Bank of Nigeria, GTBank, Access bank, UBA....

Nd we have some of this banks in some places in Europe, UK, US, Canada and Dubai....

So I think Nigerians are doing well in the Banking sector...

9 Likes

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by Buliwyf: 3:16pm On Feb 12, 2023
ayo84:

Interesting, so the diaspora indian community is seriously flourishing

Isn't this self-evident?
Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by iramure(m): 3:18pm On Feb 12, 2023
Mega churches by Nigeria God of men.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by Buliwyf: 3:18pm On Feb 12, 2023
UnknownT:
My colleague relocated with the wife to the UK after the Brother in-law sent him a work visa for his company over there.

This is easy because they are family. The thing is that it will be easier to do this for family than one random Emeka or Kunle from Nigeria. Family can still let you down but the risk is lesser

12 Likes

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by STOICREALIST: 3:18pm On Feb 12, 2023
thebosstrevor1:

From what i understand, the Indians do get support from the family back home. It is more like a family affairs. They dont employ outsiders and only employ family members, so the cost of operating these stores are always cheap.

the family in India will gather capital for the extended family who will then use that money to buy a store in the United states, they will lìve together and then take shift in running their stores, these help in reducing cost, so it is easier for them to save and also buy another store. I think it is similar with the Chinese too..i believe, it is more about their cultural and communal culture that is why the business are run efficiently and cheap.

It is actually an interesting way to go about it. Family/Blood efforts. Just like the Jews do. Interesting. There must therefore be sincerity and dedication to family ties and success than the individual. In fact in the UK, I hear the Arabs do it. They pool houses, cars etc together. They succeed as a group, usually as group of family units.

That is the mindset I am afraid Nigerians MAY NOT have. The average Nigerian is taught and feels he has to outdo even his own siblings. Two cannot work together if they do not agree.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by Buliwyf: 3:22pm On Feb 12, 2023
STOICREALIST:

It is actually an interesting way to go about it. Family/Blood efforts.
Just like the Jews do. Interesting.

There must therefore be sincerity and dedication to family ties and success than the individual. That is the mindset I am afraid Nigerians MAY NOT have.

Nigerians definitely don't have this. We have been raised to be very suspicious of our neighbours. We believe there is an enemy somewhere looking for a way to harm us. And the fact that there is too much deprivation in Africa means that the sense of survival and grabbing all while it is available is innate in us and this is the cause of corruption we always complain about. That precludes cooperation and even cohesive planning in most cases.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by laivwire(m): 3:23pm On Feb 12, 2023
Ssj
Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by Putinofrussia: 3:27pm On Feb 12, 2023
ednut1:
the way indians team up to buy all the gas stations, fast food joins and do real estate ehn. Nigerians cant pull it off there will envy, people sleeping with another person wife or daughter, cheating, backstabbing . Sabotage etc. shame on us hahahaha

Bode Akindele.
Fairgate group,UK.

There is Fairgate group in UK owned by Bode Akindele.They deal in real estate.
They are said to be worth more than €1 billion..

Another one..
CAMAC International Corporation.

KAS LOOKMAN LAWAL.
Said to be the 5th richest black in USA in 2017.

CAMAC International Corporation, chairman and chief executive officer of Erin Energy Corporation, and chairman of Allied Energy Corporation in Houston, Texas, Chairman/Chief Executive Officer, CAMAC HOLDINGS

Kase Lukman Lawal (born June 30, 1954)[1] is a Nigerian-born businessman who lives and works in the United States.

Lawal was born June 30, 1954 in Ibadan. He obtained his Bachelor of Science in chemistry from Texas Southern University in 1976, and his MBA from Prairie View A&M University, both in Texas in 1978. He is the chairman and chief executive officer of CAMAC International Corporation, chairman and chief executive officer of Erin Energy Corporation, and chairman of Allied Energy Corporation in Houston, Texas, Chairman/Chief Executive Officer, CAMAC HOLDINGS;[2] vice chairman, Port of Houston Authority Commission. He also serves as a member of the board of directors and is a significant shareholder in Unity National Bank, the only federally insured and licensed African-American-owned bank in Texas. Lawal was a member of the National Republican Congressional Committee's Business Advisory Council and, in 1994, he was a finalist for the United States Business Entrepreneur of the Year. Lawal is a member of Phi Beta Sigma fraternity. He was awarded an honorary doctorate degree in philosophy from Fort Valley State University.

Another one...
BAYO OGUNLESI.
GIP.

In July 2006, Ogunlesi started the private equity firm, Global Infrastructure Partners (GIP), a joint venture whose initial investors included Credit Suisse and General Electric. He currently serves as Chairman and Managing Partner.

In 2006, GIP bought London City Airport. In 2009, GIP acquired the majority in London Gatwick Airport in a deal worth £1.455 billion.The Nigerian press has given him the nickname, "The Man Who Bought Gatwick Airport. GIP also owns Edinburgh Airport, which they bought in 2012,and Nuovo Trasporto Viaggiatori, which they bought in February 2018.
GIP is said to be worth more than $70 billion.

Another one..

Harry Akande.
AIC and co.

An entrepreneur with over 400 companies around the world. H e was once the richest man in Nigeria.

Another one...

Dehinde Fernandez.
Petro Inett.

Fernandez ran an oil company called Petro Inett which obtained a 50% share with South African-based Energy Africa Limited in a deal with the state oil company for exploration rights in a 4,700 km2 area of Angola's coast in 1996.In 1992, he was appointed as Special Adviser to the President of Mozambique on International Economic Matters, a position he held for three years.

Another one...

Jason Njoku
Iroko Tv.

Jason Chukwuma Njoku (born 11 December 1980) is a British-Nigerian businessman. He is the co-founder and CEO of iROKOtv, a video-on-demand service for Nigerian movies.

Tope Awotona

Tope Awotona
Tope Awotona is the founder and CEO of Calendly, a functional and effective scheduling tool that helps you schedule meetings, appointments and events without all the back and forth emails. The app is currently valued at over $3 billion. Tope grew up in Lagos, Nigeria and moved to the US, where he graduated from the University of Georgia. He then landed a job at IBM as a sales rep, before moving on to Perceptive Software, Vertafore, and Dell EMC. His first three attempts at founding a startup: a dating website “single to taken”, “projectorstop” that sold projectors and “YardSteals”, a platform for home and yard equipment all failed to take off.

He then struck gold when he founded Calendly LLC in 2010.

Abbey Wemimo

Abbey Wemimo
Abbey Wemimo was born in, and grew up in Lagos, Nigeria. He moved to Minneapolis from Nigeria in 2009, and proceeded to earn degrees in business management and public administration. He founded Esusu Financial Inc in 2017 as a financial technology platform helping individuals save money and build credit for low-to-middle income consumers. Last year, in an effort to provide pandemic relief, the firm distributed $250,000 in interest-free loans to New Yorkers who couldn’t make their rent.

In July, Esusu raised $10 Million in Series A funding led by Motley Fool Ventures with investment from Serena Williams’ Serena Ventures.

Chinedu Echeruo.

Chinedu Echeruo is a well known serial entrepreneur. He is more commonly known for his startup HopStop, a pioneering travel app that helped millions of users navigate public transportation in major metropolitan areas around the world, Apple Inc acquired the city transit app in 2013 for $1 billion.

His most recent endeavour is the tech for good startup MindMeet, which allows users to share knowledge and raise money for charity whilst doing so.

Kelechi Anyadiegwu

Kelechi Anyadiegwu
Kelechi is the New York based founder of African inspired clothing marketplace, Zuvaa. She has a masters in human-computer interaction from Carnegie Mellon and also appeared in the Forbes 30 under 30 list. After being frustrated due to being unable to find fashionable African-inspired clothing and accessories, she created an e-commerce destination for merchants from across the diaspora to sell their wares.

Zuvaa’ originates from the word ‘Zuva’ which means sun or sunshine in the language of the Shona people from Zimbabwe.

In 2016, Zuvaa was estimated to have made $2 million in sales.

Stephen Ozoigbo

Stephen Ozoigbo
Stephen is the CEO of the Silicon Valley based African Technology Foundation (ATF), offering mentorship and resource access to African entrepreneurs, in addition to running a venture fund. It connects companies and founders with potential directly to Silicon Valley investors through ATF’s VenturePATH program.

Sijibomi Ogundele.
Sujimoto Group of Companies.

Sijibomi “Sujimoto” Ogundele is the founder and lead partner of Sujimoto Group of Companies, which comprises of real-estate, finance and energy divisions. The organization operates offices in Paris, Accra, Madrid, Dubai, Riyadh, and Lagos. With the umbrella of Sujimoto Investment Ltd. and its principal partner, Yazeed Alrahji, Sujimoto has been able to bridge the venture capital industry with more than 47 successful business acquisitions and restructurings.

ROBERT AGBEDE.
CHESTER GROUP,USA.

Mr. Agbede acquired the firm in 2003 from Veolia, making it one of the operating companies within the ATS Group, the company he founded in 1987. Chester, which turned 100 in 2010, was the largest African‐American‐owned water/wastewater, energy, and environmental engineering firm in the United States and the largest Water and Wastewater firm in Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania. In April 2017 Chester Engineers merged with Hatch. Mr. Agbede retained ownership of the Chester Group and Chester LNG.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by gasparpisciotta: 3:29pm On Feb 12, 2023
Peter Obi does not have a single investment in Anambra state
Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by Kobicove(m): 3:30pm On Feb 12, 2023
Lemmy123:
These kind of topics don't hit the front page often...

By the way, I'm a content writer, please see my signature below if you need my service. Thanks

It's on front page tongue

2 Likes

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by Kobicove(m): 3:32pm On Feb 12, 2023
Buliwyf:

Nigerians definitely don't have this. We have been raised to be very suspicious of our neighbours. We believe there is an enemy somewhere looking for a way to harm us. And the fact that there is too much deprivation in Africa means that the sense of survival and grabbing all while it is available is innate in us and this is the cause of corruption we always complain about. That precludes cooperation and even cohesive planning in most cases.

You have said it all, nothing more to add!

1 Like

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by ednut1(m): 3:34pm On Feb 12, 2023
NaBanga:

It's not even a Nigerian problem. It's a black man problem. Find one place in the world where black people to team up to help other blacks, outside of their own country. We might help each other gets jobs, but that will only be limited to who we know personally. I don't see any major companies being ran and dominated by blacks anywhere in the world. The reason is that we don't like to see each other do well.
even blacks taken to Caribbean face same issues, But there are some companies in USA owned by blacks doing well, they employ people from other races. But a black dominated/major black employee wont get patronage like that cos of racism and bias.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by Lightmykpoli: 3:34pm On Feb 12, 2023
Dear Op, instead of going this route, I would suggest if you haven't already, equip yourself with a handy skill e.g plumbing, house painting, mechanic, barbing etc and then start planning to relocate and it will be more realistic to start business with that skill. No one will help you to japa, I was planning to bring a nanny/maid from Nigeria because of cheap labour but with the advices I got regarding unfaithful Nigerians once they achieve their goal of leaving the country, I changed plans.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by qleap2all(m): 3:39pm On Feb 12, 2023
http://mymedicalbank.com is a healthcare business owned by Ayodeji Adebamowo (an NHS UK employee)
the headoffice is at Ikeja,Lagos

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by femijay8271(m): 3:39pm On Feb 12, 2023
Lightmykpoli:
Dear Op, instead of going this route, I would suggest if you haven't already, equip yourself with a handy skill e.g plumbing, house painting, mechanic, barbing etc and then start planning to relocate and it will be more realistic to start business with that skill. No one will help you to japa, I was planning to bring a nanny/maid from Nigeria because of cheap labour but with the advices I got regarding unfaithful Nigerians once they achieve their goal of leaving the country, I changed plans.

Baba u fit help ur me o, am loyal o

2 Likes

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by free2ryhme: 3:39pm On Feb 12, 2023
ayo84:
I created this thread for fellow Nigerians in diaspora to list or mention their businesses or registered companies with a perview to get volunteers, staff, freelancers to associate with them. For example it can attract investment from Nigerians who are planning to relocate or looking for freelancing roles.

We have trust and integrity issues

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by Shikena(m): 3:42pm On Feb 12, 2023
We already told you guys that most Nigerians (Note: most, not all) who are fully established abroad don't do places like Nairaland and are not loud on social media. Also, Nigerians are very careful with publicity. They know their market.

With that said, while Nigerians are not as prominent as the Asians, there are many of them doing well in America in the following areas:

- Real Estate/Brokerage/Rental Management
- Insurance Agencies
- IT Consulting/Staffing/Training
- Call Center Operations
- Healthcare/Home Health/Staffing
- Doctors Offices
- Auto Shop Franchise
- Restaurants/African Stores
- Beauty Care
- Money Transfer/Financial
- Shipping
- Freight brokerage/Logistics

Nigerians are into all these and they are doing very well in every major cities. However, they are very very cautious.

The system is watching them closely and naive "smart" younger ones are also preying for loopholes to take advantage of them. Regardless, it's their business and ther decisions.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by xandy84: 3:43pm On Feb 12, 2023
I own a truck repair business and trucking company in Virginia. Most Nigeria tries to play it simple and safe. 9 out of 10 new businesses do not see second year and I am an example. My first company failed and I had to start all over with $90k in debt. When Nigeria start small scale businesses like car sales, trucking etc will never qualify hire foreign born worker.
Entrepreneur is easy on paper. No banks that I know of borrow new business money except if you want to use your house a collateral and you will be sorry if the business fail and most business do fail.
Average Chinese or Indians are richer than average Nigerian and they pool resources together to buy restaurant, gas station and take turns to run it and grow it from ground. Nigerian back home want their family that travel less than a week to start sending money home. He does not stand a chance to start a business. He just need to get a job and be ATM for people back home.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by ObosiUkwalla: 3:46pm On Feb 12, 2023
Treadway:
Lol. Unfortunately, most Nigerians who emigrate are not entrepreneurial.

As it was in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, it is till now. Unlike other races and nationalities (Indians, Asians, Mexicans) that also emigrate, but over the years have made their mark and are thus more formidable as an racial/ethnic bloc/community, most Naija simply do not have their brains wired for entrepreneurship...even harder to think that way now considering how difficult it is to make enough money to start a business in 2023, not to mention the inherent risks. Which Gbadebo or Okoro would wanna risk losing what took him maybe 25+ years to accumulate if their business goes belly up?

When they do have children, for the few that have truly special children that have the fire, they have to come back home to really make sense. Demand and supply! Do you think Andela would have made any mark in the US? Demand and supply. Andela in the US is just another bee in a swarm of bees, but in Nigeria, same Andela is a queen bee.....now the shocking part is even these special children that have it in them, you can literally count them by hand. Like most emigrants state here on this forum, most moved overseas just to live a happier life. Being an entrepreneur certainly and evidently isn't in the cards for most Nigerian emigrants.

Lol

All what you wrote here is trash and gibberish
Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by Shikena(m): 3:52pm On Feb 12, 2023
ObosiUkwalla:

All what you wrote here is trash and gibberish
Yup, he blurted out so much trash with full confidence. You wonder if some people actually understand the meaning of facts.

They confuse their thoughts from a limited perspective with reality grin
Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by plaetton: 3:56pm On Feb 12, 2023
ednut1:
Yup, Nigerians are a special breed .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by Asour: 3:57pm On Feb 12, 2023
ednut1:
unlike the chinese and Indians. Nigeria have not done well in this regard. The businesses are mostly self run or they employ foreigners based there. My dad’s friend had a estate agent business in uk. Employed mostly white. The most common businesses done by Nigerians include African food businesses/ restaurants, trucking business, real estate, staffing/ recruitmentFor those willing to bring staff from Nigeria. It will be mostly their relatives.

Nigerians do have a reputation for incompetence & lack of integrity.

Of course this doesn't mean that there aren't good /Competent Nigerians.

But look at it this way: The most valuable non-Bank Companies/Banks in Nigeria are overwhelmingly foreign led.

Most important Infrastructure projects in Nigeria are also foreign led.

While Indians/ Lebanese don't have spotless reputations, they are 'generally' more independent/competent/ long-term driven.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by ebufa: 4:05pm On Feb 12, 2023
ayo84:

Interesting, so the diaspora indian community is seriously flourishing

Bros they are O! Problem is that Nigerians do not have good knowledge of capital formation..............We have this midset that I can only raise capital for my business through personal savings and maybe a small help from a spouse! so that we can keep all the profit within the immediate nuclear family circle......................The indians ,chinese and hispanics .............go way beyond that,they form all sorts of family,friends and country man financial alliances!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by MiaBeer(m): 4:06pm On Feb 12, 2023
ayo84:
You want Nigerians in diaspora to tell you their business so you people will start scamming them ba.?

It’s difficult to dine with the Nigerian devil, even with long spoon.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by Burgerlomo: 4:06pm On Feb 12, 2023
cool

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by Volunteering101: 4:06pm On Feb 12, 2023
Refuge Network International

[url][/url]https://www.refugenetworkinternational.com/

You can volunteer with us when visiting the UK from Nigeria. We also welcome Nigerians from the diaspora.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photos Of Stranded Passengers At The Airport Due To Fuel Scarcity / Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination / Trailer Crashes Into A School In Ibadan Before Break Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.