Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,501 members, 7,812,545 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:07 PM

Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora (27865 Views)

My Lovely Trip to Jubilee Chalets In Epe Owned By The Lagos State Government / Inagbe Grand Resort Owned By The Ooni Of Ife / My Visit To Willow Wood: Hotel Allegedly Owned By Rochas Okorocha In Owerri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by ednut1(m): 9:04pm On Feb 12, 2023
LordAdam16:

The Hausas have been traders connecting Northern cities with the foreign Arab markets for more than two centuries and before the amalgamation of Nigeria.

The reputation of the Igbos in entrepreneurship precedes them.

The Yorubas are noted for their devotion to education and salaried pursuits.

That does not mean that other tribes in Nigeria, including the Yorubas, do not run businesses. This is why I added the qualifier "overtly".

In the West, without any formal study or stat to point to, it does appear to me that distribution of Nigerian ethnicities in businesses is even or that any difference is statistically minuscule and therefore irrelevant. And more importantly, that regardless of ethnicity, Nigerian Americans overwhelmingly favor an educationally-inclined, salaried track.

If it seems to you that the majority of successful businesses in the West are run by Yorubas, I'll chalk that up to the Baader–Meinhof phenomenon. I would not be so bold to make a definitive statement like that. A good number of Nigerian Americans run their own firms or start companies on the side.

Adebayo Ogunlesi who has sat on the board of Goldman Sachs for more than 10 years founded his own firm Global Infrastructure Partners. But before that he worked at Credit Suisse. Mekka Don's sister Sylvia runs her own law firm, while he worked at a top 10 law firm before he ventured into rapping. They're Igbos.

The Nigerian community in the diaspora has grown in leaps and bounds since the 80s when there were less than 100,000 in the West. Then most Nigerians went exclusively via the study route. In the coming decades, kids of immigrants will start businesses at a higher rate than their forebears. I cannot predict how it will shake out by ethnicity.

The Indians and Chinese had humble beginnings in the West. We are fortunate to start out with education in temperature-controlled enclosures. The Japs and Chinese started out as contract laborers during the industrial revolution and primarily laid rail tracks crammed in shoebox dwellings in filthy conditions and heavily discriminated against. Things are obviously very different now.

-Lord
false majority of Nigerians there went with visiting visa or libya route. Then hustled for papers via marriage or asylum.
Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by LordAdam16: 9:14pm On Feb 12, 2023
ednut1:
false majority of Nigerians there went with visiting visa or libya route. Then hustled for papers via marriage or asylum.

We are not talking about people who gamed the system on this thread.

-Lord

1 Like

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by ednut1(m): 10:02pm On Feb 12, 2023
LordAdam16:

We are not talking about people who gamed the system on this thread.

-Lord
the second set of students - 1960s to early 80s before IBB didn’t stay. They came back grin
Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by Dotman2210(m): 10:29pm On Feb 12, 2023
Google the name Bayo Ogunlesi
Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by CartelKenneth: 11:55pm On Feb 12, 2023
ednut1:
unlike the chinese and Indians. Nigeria have not done well in this regard. The businesses are mostly self run or they employ foreigners based there. My dad’s friend had an estate agent business in uk. Employed mostly white. The most common businesses done by Nigerians include African food businesses/ restaurants, trucking business, real estate, staffing/ recruitmentFor those willing to bring staff from Nigeria. It will be mostly their relatives.

How do you expect the to do well whe they’re too busy selling drugs running from the law and getting deported

1 Like

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by Nigerfine3: 2:14am On Feb 13, 2023
Nice thread
I live in USA and I have been here for close to twenty years. American businesses are huge, conglomerates, inherited, and very capital intensive, There are some businesses that instead of venturing you rather get paid. The Mexicans ( South American too) own construction, and other handi work. This they achieve easily through apprenticeship from themselves, their non ability to speak English make them labor there till the master it. Nigerians are educated, speak English and if you wouldn’t earn great in business you just get a job. I’m so business inclined, if you have good hands, you earn more having the business in Nigeria.
There was a day I was studying a business that sells tire rims, I saw the business had four guys bringing out their wears in very early morning. I then think adding the owner that would be five.
Now, you can drive Uber to make 4-5k per month as a naija hustler. How many of such beautiful rims at over 500$ each can you sell per day, I asked myself, how much profit could be made here? How much profit gives you over 20k per month selling rims? At that 20k, you pay the guys let’s say 3k each, that’s 12k, owner? , you have rent for such a place for like 2k,light, tax, I told myself this isn’t good enough. Of course the guys working there don’t speak English.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by Papilagreen: 3:09am On Feb 13, 2023
thebosstrevor1:

From what i understand, the Indians do get support from the family back home. It is more like a family affairs. They dont employ outsiders and only employ family members, so the cost of operating these stores are always cheap.

the family in India will gather capital for the extended family who will then use that money to buy a store in the United states, they will lìve together and then take shift in running their stores, these help in reducing cost, so it is easier for them to save and also buy another store. I think it is similar with the Chinese too..i believe, it is more about their cultural and communal culture that is why the business are run efficiently and cheap.

Most Indians and Chinese here they mostly start from scratch here and they don't normally get any support back home infact most Indians and Chinese I have met here who owns restaurants to real estate businesses they all have one thing in common.THEY ALWAYS HELP AND SUPPORT EACH OTHERS AND THEY SHEAR BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES AND IDEAS TOGETHER ALWAYS... Regardless if related by blood or not.
If na we Nigerians we dey always feel like say we dey compete with each other and like say we wan kill and deny each other na why we dey slack sometimes..
We Nigerians abroad we too over smart pass ourself we con dey do ourself...
Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by plaetton: 6:25am On Feb 13, 2023
MiaBeer:

You want Nigerians in diaspora to tell you their business so you people will start scamming them ba.?

It’s difficult to dine with the Nigerian devil, even with long spoon.
I wonder o.
Nigerians are backstabbers.
Everyone I mentored have turned out to be not only my fiercest competitors , but seek to undermine my business in every way.
Even my Nigerian employees first come it with " I humbly beg to apply".
3 months later, they are busy seeking ways to undermine my business.

I no longer employ nor mentor my fellow Nigerians.
It's just too risky.

2 Likes

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by plaetton: 6:56am On Feb 13, 2023
iramure:
Mega churches by Nigeria God of men.
Our primary export to the world.
You go to a typical industrial area, you would see Indians, Pakistanis, Chinese, Iranians, Syrians, etc, occupying these industrial units , producing, warehousing or selling products. Then next few doors in the same complex, you would see 'So So and So ministries or this and that church of God.
It is as if primitive bronze age superstitions from the Middle East are the only things our brains are capable of absorbing and promoting.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by BanyXchi: 7:28am On Feb 13, 2023
Shikena:

I saw that too and just ignored. One thing that shocked me in America is the toned down nature of the popular linking of Igbos with businesses. Yorubas businesses are more noticeable. Even the Edo ones are prominent in some places. I see the Igbo ones too but not anywhere close to my expectation.

However, keep in mind that the diaspora intermarry a lot. So that Yoruba business may include an Igbo wife. Fact is fact.
not just in America but the whole Western world... In Australia and New Zealand, Canada the most successful businesses are owned by Yorubas.

4 Likes

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by Parishpascal(m): 8:45am On Feb 13, 2023
They are alot of Nigerians making us proud Abroad. In enterprenuer and business Nigeria is number one in Africa then South Africa.
One of the best Restaurant in Ghana that sale Pizza is owned by Nigeria. Binnaparlour Pizza located in Accra Ghana is owned by Obinna Pascal Amajuoyi a Business man from Imo State Nigeria. He is making Nigeria Proud in Ghana. [img][/img]

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by IbeOkehie: 10:17am On Feb 13, 2023
plaetton:

You go to a typical industrial area, you would see Indians, Pakistanis, Chinese, Iranians, Syrians, etc, occupying these industrial units , producing, warehousing or selling products. Then next few doors in the same complex, you would see 'So So and So ministries or this and that church of God.
It is as if primitive bronze age superstitions from the Middle East are the only things our brains are capable of absorbing and promoting.

There's a street, Harford Rd in Baltimore. It's full of Nigerian Churches of all denominations, big ones, small ones any kind you like.

There's at least 3 industrial parks in Raleigh NC with all sorts of businesses and then of course....Nigerian churches. It's remarkable what Nigerians have been able to achieve.

God bless Nigeria and Nigerians.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by emmaodet: 12:46pm On Feb 13, 2023
ednut1:
the way indians team up to buy all the gas stations, fast food joins and do real estate ehn. Nigerians cant pull it off there will envy, people sleeping with another person wife or daughter, cheating, backstabbing . Sabotage etc. shame on us hahahaha

grin grin

It is that people sleeping with other peoples’ wives that got me cracking most.
Black men with sex ehhhhhhh

2 Likes

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by AngelicBeing: 6:02pm On Feb 13, 2023
IbeOkehie:

There's a street, Harford Rd in Baltimore. It's full of Nigerian Churches of all denominations, big ones, small ones any kind you like.

There's at least 3 industrial parks in Raleigh NC with all sorts of businesses and then of course....Nigerian churches. It's remarkable what Nigerians have been able to achieve.

It is called Exporting the gospel or Exporting the gospel of Jesus Christ to different part of the world, there is nothing wrong with it, Jesus Christ said that l must do my father's business, so the gospel of Jesus Christ also means the business of winning souls into the kingdom of God cheesy
Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by IbeOkehie: 7:20pm On Feb 13, 2023
AngelicBeing:
It is called Exporting the gospel or Exporting the gospel of Jesus Christ to different part of the world, there is nothing wrong with it, Jesus Christ said that l must do my father's business, so the gospel of Jesus Christ also means the business of winning souls into the kingdom of God cheesy

I didn't criticize, I marveled at the works of God's children. Indeed it's remarkable what Nigerian Christianity has achieved all over the world and the clear results of their works are manifested right there in Nigeria. No other country is more blessed than Nigeria and its people.

1 Like

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by AngelicBeing: 7:29pm On Feb 13, 2023
IbeOkehie:

I didn't criticize, I marveled at the works of God's children. Indeed it's remarkable what Nigerian Christianity has achieved all over the world and the clear results of their works are manifested right there in Nigeria. No other country is more blessed than Nigeria and its people.
Yes, I understood what you wrote above, l am only agreeing with your contribution as well, kudos to you cheesy
Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by Putinofrussia: 9:35pm On Feb 13, 2023
LordAdam16:

To be fair, in Nigeria, besides the Igbos and Hausas, not many other ethnicities are overtly entrepreneurial.

The state of the economy is the primary motivator for every Ola and Chinwe engaging in mini hustles (like selling data or shoes). Else, the average Nigerian is content with a fat salary and soft life.

When we build businesses, they do not last for more than 2 generations. The Dantatas are an exception not the rule. Otedola's dynasty will likely end with him. The Elumelus and Ovias will lose primary control of their empires after the founders kick the bucket.

Thus, it should not surprise you that Nigerians emigrants in well-run societies for the most part stick to the employee track.

Lastly, as regards running a business, Nigerians can't hold a candle to the Jews, Indians, Chinese, and Germans. In the West, the best of every ethnicity worldwide get to duke it out to succeed. And that is for the US, where there are not as many institutional and cultural impediments to immigrant-ran businesses.

Elsewhere in the developed world, there's an echelon with access to preferential rules, with natives at the top. In the second world, some countries have laws that mandate foreigners to get a native partner (sponsor) before they can set up shop. This used to be the case in the UAE until recently.

As such, there are not a lot of lucrative businesses you can start in the Diaspora as an immigrant.

And truthfully, if you do manage to set up a fledging business, there are very few, if any, reasons to employ a Nigerian over other nationalities. Dangote employs Indians in sensitive positions for a reason. Silicon Valley does too. Except for token roles, at which point you're better off giving it to a relative or referral as a favor (as @ednut opined).

All of that said, a lot of diasporans own or co-own SMBs in Nigeria. From education to real estate.

-Lord
lol
Sometimes one just has to answer you people when you are slipping off the hill with your funny and false narratives.

Yorubas have been doing real business long before our Igbo brethren know anything called business.Moreover,Igbos are mainly petty traders.This is the reason why Yorubas are reputed to be the largest business owners in Nigeria and the only people that have multibillion dollars businesses abroad.

These are some Yoruba business people before Igbos become participants.

It is not difficult to imagine that the richest man in Africa, Aliko Dangote, wakes up in Africa, has his breakfast in Asia, lunch in Europe, dinner in America and sleeps in Australia.

You may also conjure the image of the richest woman on the continent, Folorunso Alakija, attending a conference in North America, meeting with female entrepreneurs in Africa, signing a multimillion-dollar deal in South America, going shopping in Asia, and attending a wedding party in Antartica.

The duo may be the richest man and woman on the continent today, but Nigeria’s ability to create billionaires did not start today. Before Dangote and Alakija, the likes of Da Rocha, Ojukwu, etc. were known for their fame and fortune.

Just for this thread, I am picking out only the Yoruba business people because they have the largest number.

Candido Da Rocha (1860 – 1959)

Candido Da Rocha was a Nigerian born in Brazil. Upon his return to Nigeria with his father, Esan Da Rocha, he made a fortune that has today become the subject of fact and fiction.

Da Rocha was unlike Evander Wall – both were born in 1860 – who became a millionaire at 18 and a multimillionaire at 22, when he inherited a million dollars from his father and grandfather respectively.

An extravagant showman, Wall bought 5,000 neckties and 300 pairs of gloves. He was the first man in America to wear a tuxedo. He was reported to have changed his outfit 40 times in a single morning.

Considered a millionaire, Da Rocha too had dozens of clothes and he could afford to send his dirty clothes to the laundryman in the United Kingdom – which he did for many years.

Shrewd and forthright, the first Nigerian millionaire was not given to unnecessary platitudes and politicking.

“His friend Herbert Macaulay persuaded him to join politics. On a particular day when he was addressing would-be voters, he simply told them that he was seeking their votes to represent them. He made it clear that he would not use his wealth to get their votes.

At the end of the day, he didn’t win,” his 90-year-old granddaughter, Mrs. Angelica Oyediran, told SUNDAY PUNCH.

How wealthy was Da Rocha?

“I can’t put a figure to it. However, I can tell you that Papa was so rich that he assisted many people in the society. He supported the government during the Second World War. He also supported the Catholic Church. When the Holy Cross Cathedral was built, he paid for the building of three chapels. The British respected him a lot. He was highly respected; a disciplined man who hated dishonesty and lying. I lived with him in this house for three years. I was very close to him. He loved me and I was fond of him,” the granddaughter explained.

Describing Da Rocha’s generosity, she said, “People would come to him, crying, requesting financial assistance; from the balcony, asking how much they needed, he would throw down the money to them.”

Da Rocha became a water merchant, selling water from the house (he inherited from his father, Esan Da Rocha) – famously called Casa d’Agua or water house. Da Rocha would later venture into real estate and the hospitality business. He opened The Restaurant Da Rocha, Bonanza Hotel, and Sierra Leone Deep Sea Fishing Industries Ltd. He also went into a partnership with two other businessmen, J. H. Doherty and Sedu Williams, to establish the Lagos Native Bank.

Timothy Odutola (1902-1995)

On March 25, 1943, the man who later became arguably the most respected politician and strategist in Nigeria, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, requested a loan of £1,400 from Timothy Odutola.

The loan, according to Awolowo, would be fully paid in 12 years. He did not get the loan. But, the duo would later form a strong political alliance in the old Western Region.

Stupendously rich, Odutola was the first president of the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria. He was reported to have established a multimillion-dollar business, including three factories, a retail franchise, a cattle ranch and a sawmill before 1960.

Before his breakthrough, he worked as a clerk in various departments of the Lagos Colony and in the Ijebu Native Administration between 1921 and 1932.

By 1932, he opened stores where he sold damasks and fish in various cities in the Western Region; and later, he began trading in cocoa and palm oil.

An enterprising man, he also dealt in sawmilling and gold mining. By 1967, he had begun production of tyres and tubes which did so well that he added a $1,700,000 plant, with the plan to harvest his own rubber from his 5,000-acre plantation.

“The time is coming when we will produce more than we can consume and we will have to look outside Nigeria for markets,” Odutola had once said.

Prior to his death, however, he might have been less optimistic, as he watched Nigeria’s political and economic growth take a turn for the worse under the jackboot of maximum ruler, Gen. Sani Abacha.

Sir Mobolaji Bank-Anthony (1907-1991)

Businessman and philanthropist, he was a former council president of the Lagos Stock Exchange. He was also a minority investor in Aero Contractors and at a time held the distributional rights to cars manufactured by Rootes Group.

Between 1923 and 1930, he worked as a junior clerk in the correspondence section of the Post and Telegraphs Department. By 1931, he went into business, travelling to Germany and England to study how to make palm oil. Following that, he established M. de Bank Brothers, to trade in palm oil and patent medicine.

After sometime, he began importing watches, clocks and pens – at a point, becoming the third largest seller of fountain pens in Nigeria after UAC and the United Trading Company. He also owned a tanker fleet and a charter airline.

He was one of the earliest Nigerians to become chairman of a European company in 1950 – he was the chairman of the Italian Construction firm, Borini Prono and Company. He was also a director of Mobil Oil and Friesland Foods back then.

Shafi Edu (1911–2002)

In 1965, TIME magazine named Shafi Edu one of Nigeria’s richest men. Along with Talabi Braithwaite, he co-founded the first indigenous insurance company in the country. He had shares in big companies like Bata, Alumaco, Wiggins Teape, BP (formerly British Petroleum), Lever Brothers and Nigerian Breweries.

Edu was the first president of the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and the Lagos Rotary Club.

At 54, he had built a fleet of eight oil tankers. He was also on the boards of Blackwood Hodge Nigeria, Haden Nigeria, Glaxo Nigeria and the Federal Industrial Loans from 1954 to 1959.

He was elected into the old Western Region’s House of Assembly in 1951, and was later nominated to represent Epe at the Federal House of Representatives.

Ade Tuyo

Born in 1902, he was described as Nigeria’s most prominent baker in the mid-1960s. Featured in Time magazine’s list of millionaires in Nigeria in 1965, Tuyo at the time had four outlets and was making 115 products. According to the magazine, he was running a business that would have “first priority in people’s spending.”

“The firm’s unusual name – De Facto Works Ltd. – was shrewdly chosen by Tuyo to impress Nigerian bankers with the fact that he was seriously in business,” it said.

Trained as a teacher, Tuyo left the profession to work for 24 years in the Nigerian Railway Corporation, the British Bank of West Africa and the Ministry of Commerce. He retired in 1953.

The bakery was started by his wife. After his retirement, he took over the catering business. By 1969, his bakery service was the largest in the country.

Talabi Braithwaite (1928–2011)

Regarded as one of Nigeria’s youngest businessmen of his time, Talabi Braithwaite left a British insurance company to found a firm that would write life insurance on Nigerians which the British underwriters avoided like the plague. So successful was he that his African Alliance Insurance Co. Ltd occupied a six-storey office and had 300 bush-beating agents. Braithwaite lived in an elegant house in Ikoyi.

He was the first African to pass the examination to become an associate of the Chartered Insurance Institute, London in 1951. Braithwaite, in 1960, advised the government of the Western Region as a risk consultant when it formed the Great Nigeria Insurance Company. Between 1963 and 1966, he served as the first indigenous president of the Insurance Institute of Nigeria. He was also first president of the Nigerian Corporation of Insurance Brokers for 16 years, starting in 1963.

In 1969, he became an underwriting member of Lloyd’s of London, and from 1970 he started underwriting on the Merrett Syndicate.

https://punchng.com/old-money-10-super-rich-men-of-independence-era/
Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by Treadway: 10:07am On Feb 14, 2023
4 pages and not even up to 20 names..bear in mind more than half of the names mentioned na 'oldies' that made those moves decades ago. Now ask yourselves if after over 6 decades and generations, you can say Nigerians are doing well in business overseas. I emboldened the overseas cos it appear some folks with low comprehension that were quoting me with very weak slurs missed tha fact that op was talking about Nigerians in diaspora doing business overseas and not Nigerians in diaspora doing business back in Nigeria.

The overwhelming majority of Nigerians do jobs overseas, not business, except maybe church business sha😎

Also to provide an update of sorts, Gatwick airport majority shares ((a Lili over 50%) were sold to Vinci in 2021. GIP (Bayo Ogunlesi) still retains the remaining shares/ownership though.

2 Likes

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by Treadway: 10:10am On Feb 14, 2023
LordAdam16:

To be fair, in Nigeria, besides the Igbos and Hausas, not many other ethnicities are overtly entrepreneurial.

The state of the economy is the primary motivator for every Ola and Chinwe engaging in mini hustles (like selling data or shoes). Else, the average Nigerian is content with a fat salary and soft life.

When we build businesses, they do not last for more than 2 generations. The Dantatas are an exception not the rule. Otedola's dynasty will likely end with him. The Elumelus and Ovias will lose primary control of their empires after the founders kick the bucket.

Thus, it should not surprise you that Nigerians emigrants in well-run societies for the most part stick to the employee track.

Lastly, as regards running a business, Nigerians can't hold a candle to the Jews, Indians, Chinese, and Germans. In the West, the best of every ethnicity worldwide get to duke it out to succeed. And that is for the US, where there are not as many institutional and cultural impediments to immigrant-ran businesses.

Elsewhere in the developed world, there's an echelon with access to preferential rules, with natives at the top. In the second world, some countries have laws that mandate foreigners to get a native partner (sponsor) before they can set up shop. This used to be the case in the UAE until recently.

As such, there are not a lot of lucrative businesses you can start in the Diaspora as an immigrant.

And truthfully, if you do manage to set up a fledging business, there are very few, if any, reasons to employ a Nigerian over other nationalities. Dangote employs Indians in sensitive positions for a reason. Silicon Valley does too. Except for token roles, at which point you're better off giving it to a relative or referral as a favor (as @ednut opined).

All of that said, a lot of diasporans own or co-own SMBs in Nigeria. From education to real estate.

-Lord
at the bolded, Op was talking about Nigerians in diaspora doing business there, and not back in Nigeria. To your other points, you are 💯 correct. I share similar views.

Cheers.
Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by gforce5: 3:44pm On Feb 14, 2023
Nigerians in the diaspora own a lot of businesses. The issue is that those businesses don't last beyond a generation the same way most businesses in Nigeria don't survive after the founder's death. Lack of long-term planning, division within the family and the inability of the next generation to take the business to the next level due to lack of grooming.

Another problem is that Nigerians (blacks in general) don't have the sense of unity that the Chinese, Indians, Lebanese and other ethnic nationalities have. In the UK ,for example, where I resided for many years, Indians own most of the corner shops. There is a strong sense of unity and purpose that we Nigerians simply don't have. The Indians and Chinese employ their people before anybody else and invest in a lot of money in their community. That cannot be said of Nigerians and other blacks due to factors such as greed, distrust and a crabs in a bucket mentality of hating on someone who is more successful than you. That's also the reason why dating a fellow Nigerian in the west is also hard due to this mutual distrust and clash of egos.

Even in Nigeria it's the same problem. Most business owners such as Dangote and Adenuga prefer to hire foreigners to run their businesses than their fellow Nigerians due to mistrust. We are very wicked to each other.
Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by Kobicove(m): 12:33pm On Feb 15, 2023
IbeOkehie:

Opening churches left, right and centre the way Nigerians do, does not qualify as economic advancement!
Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by haryomikun(m): 8:25pm On Feb 15, 2023
LordAdam16:

The Hausas have been traders connecting Northern cities with the foreign Arab markets for more than two centuries and before the amalgamation of Nigeria.

The reputation of the Igbos in entrepreneurship precedes them.

The Yorubas are noted for their devotion to education and salaried pursuits.

That does not mean that other tribes in Nigeria, including the Yorubas, do not run businesses. This is why I added the qualifier "overtly".

In the West, without any formal study or stat to point to, it does appear to me that distribution of Nigerian ethnicities in businesses is even or that any difference is statistically minuscule and therefore irrelevant. And more importantly, that regardless of ethnicity, Nigerian Americans overwhelmingly favor an educationally-inclined, salaried track.

If it seems to you that the majority of successful businesses in the West are run by Yorubas, I'll chalk that up to the Baader–Meinhof phenomenon. I would not be so bold to make a definitive statement like that. A good number of Nigerian Americans run their own firms or start companies on the side.

Adebayo Ogunlesi who has sat on the board of Goldman Sachs for more than 10 years founded his own firm Global Infrastructure Partners. But before that he worked at Credit Suisse. Mekka Don's sister Sylvia runs her own law firm, while he worked at a top 10 law firm before he ventured into rapping. They're Igbos.

The Nigerian community in the diaspora has grown in leaps and bounds since the 80s when there were less than 100,000 in the West. Then most Nigerians went exclusively via the study route. In the coming decades, kids of immigrants will start businesses at a higher rate than their forebears. I cannot predict how it will shake out by ethnicity.

The Indians and Chinese had humble beginnings in the West. We are fortunate to start out with education in temperature-controlled enclosures. The Japs and Chinese started out as contract laborers during the industrial revolution and primarily laid rail tracks crammed in shoebox dwellings in filthy conditions and heavily discriminated against. Things are obviously very different now.

-Lord

I like your responses on this thread, chief. Sensible and well-detailed
Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by ayo84(m): 4:44pm On Feb 17, 2023
frankadrian:

What kind of business do you run?

Business consultancy
Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by iramure(m): 3:26pm On Feb 19, 2023
plaetton:

as long as we hold in to religion, my brother, we are heading for doom.

2 Likes

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by Tohsynetita1: 9:46pm On Nov 11, 2023
ayo84:

Business consultancy
can I meet you please?
Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by bensky: 1:03pm On Nov 12, 2023
who have been in slovenia 17 years have a food truck
ayo84:
What of african themed stores or restaurants
Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by Swiftgrp: 10:29am On Nov 13, 2023
ednut1:
unlike the chinese and Indians. Nigeria have not done well in this regard. The businesses are mostly self run or they employ foreigners based there. My dad’s friend had a estate agent business in uk. Employed mostly white. The most common businesses done by Nigerians include African food businesses/ restaurants, trucking business, real estate, staffing/ recruitmentFor those willing to bring staff from Nigeria. It will be mostly their relatives.
Indeed.
Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by PeachtreeReside(f): 12:42pm On Nov 13, 2023
Putinofrussia:

Bode Akindele.
Fairgate group,UK.

There is Fairgate group in UK owned by Bode Akindele.They deal in real estate.
They are said to be worth more than €1 billion..

Another one..
CAMAC International Corporation.

KAS LOOKMAN LAWAL.
Said to be the 5th richest black in USA in 2017.

CAMAC International Corporation, chairman and chief executive officer of Erin Energy Corporation, and chairman of Allied Energy Corporation in Houston, Texas, Chairman/Chief Executive Officer, CAMAC HOLDINGS

Kase Lukman Lawal (born June 30, 1954)[1] is a Nigerian-born businessman who lives and works in the United States.

Lawal was born June 30, 1954 in Ibadan. He obtained his Bachelor of Science in chemistry from Texas Southern University in 1976, and his MBA from Prairie View A&M University, both in Texas in 1978. He is the chairman and chief executive officer of CAMAC International Corporation, chairman and chief executive officer of Erin Energy Corporation, and chairman of Allied Energy Corporation in Houston, Texas, Chairman/Chief Executive Officer, CAMAC HOLDINGS;[2] vice chairman, Port of Houston Authority Commission. He also serves as a member of the board of directors and is a significant shareholder in Unity National Bank, the only federally insured and licensed African-American-owned bank in Texas. Lawal was a member of the National Republican Congressional Committee's Business Advisory Council and, in 1994, he was a finalist for the United States Business Entrepreneur of the Year. Lawal is a member of Phi Beta Sigma fraternity. He was awarded an honorary doctorate degree in philosophy from Fort Valley State University.

Another one...
BAYO OGUNLESI.
GIP.

In July 2006, Ogunlesi started the private equity firm, Global Infrastructure Partners (GIP), a joint venture whose initial investors included Credit Suisse and General Electric. He currently serves as Chairman and Managing Partner.

In 2006, GIP bought London City Airport. In 2009, GIP acquired the majority in London Gatwick Airport in a deal worth £1.455 billion.The Nigerian press has given him the nickname, "The Man Who Bought Gatwick Airport. GIP also owns Edinburgh Airport, which they bought in 2012,and Nuovo Trasporto Viaggiatori, which they bought in February 2018.
GIP is said to be worth more than $70 billion.

Another one..

Harry Akande.
AIC and co.

An entrepreneur with over 400 companies around the world. H e was once the richest man in Nigeria.

Another one...

Dehinde Fernandez.
Petro Inett.

Fernandez ran an oil company called Petro Inett which obtained a 50% share with South African-based Energy Africa Limited in a deal with the state oil company for exploration rights in a 4,700 km2 area of Angola's coast in 1996.In 1992, he was appointed as Special Adviser to the President of Mozambique on International Economic Matters, a position he held for three years.

Another one...

Jason Njoku
Iroko Tv.

Jason Chukwuma Njoku (born 11 December 1980) is a British-Nigerian businessman. He is the co-founder and CEO of iROKOtv, a video-on-demand service for Nigerian movies.

Tope Awotona

Tope Awotona
Tope Awotona is the founder and CEO of Calendly, a functional and effective scheduling tool that helps you schedule meetings, appointments and events without all the back and forth emails. The app is currently valued at over $3 billion. Tope grew up in Lagos, Nigeria and moved to the US, where he graduated from the University of Georgia. He then landed a job at IBM as a sales rep, before moving on to Perceptive Software, Vertafore, and Dell EMC. His first three attempts at founding a startup: a dating website “single to taken”, “projectorstop” that sold projectors and “YardSteals”, a platform for home and yard equipment all failed to take off.

He then struck gold when he founded Calendly LLC in 2010.

Abbey Wemimo

Abbey Wemimo
Abbey Wemimo was born in, and grew up in Lagos, Nigeria. He moved to Minneapolis from Nigeria in 2009, and proceeded to earn degrees in business management and public administration. He founded Esusu Financial Inc in 2017 as a financial technology platform helping individuals save money and build credit for low-to-middle income consumers. Last year, in an effort to provide pandemic relief, the firm distributed $250,000 in interest-free loans to New Yorkers who couldn’t make their rent.

In July, Esusu raised $10 Million in Series A funding led by Motley Fool Ventures with investment from Serena Williams’ Serena Ventures.

Chinedu Echeruo.

Chinedu Echeruo is a well known serial entrepreneur. He is more commonly known for his startup HopStop, a pioneering travel app that helped millions of users navigate public transportation in major metropolitan areas around the world, Apple Inc acquired the city transit app in 2013 for $1 billion.

His most recent endeavour is the tech for good startup MindMeet, which allows users to share knowledge and raise money for charity whilst doing so.

Kelechi Anyadiegwu

Kelechi Anyadiegwu
Kelechi is the New York based founder of African inspired clothing marketplace, Zuvaa. She has a masters in human-computer interaction from Carnegie Mellon and also appeared in the Forbes 30 under 30 list. After being frustrated due to being unable to find fashionable African-inspired clothing and accessories, she created an e-commerce destination for merchants from across the diaspora to sell their wares.

Zuvaa’ originates from the word ‘Zuva’ which means sun or sunshine in the language of the Shona people from Zimbabwe.

In 2016, Zuvaa was estimated to have made $2 million in sales.

Stephen Ozoigbo

Stephen Ozoigbo
Stephen is the CEO of the Silicon Valley based African Technology Foundation (ATF), offering mentorship and resource access to African entrepreneurs, in addition to running a venture fund. It connects companies and founders with potential directly to Silicon Valley investors through ATF’s VenturePATH program.

Sijibomi Ogundele.
Sujimoto Group of Companies.

Sijibomi “Sujimoto” Ogundele is the founder and lead partner of Sujimoto Group of Companies, which comprises of real-estate, finance and energy divisions. The organization operates offices in Paris, Accra, Madrid, Dubai, Riyadh, and Lagos. With the umbrella of Sujimoto Investment Ltd. and its principal partner, Yazeed Alrahji, Sujimoto has been able to bridge the venture capital industry with more than 47 successful business acquisitions and restructurings.

ROBERT AGBEDE.
CHESTER GROUP,USA.

Mr. Agbede acquired the firm in 2003 from Veolia, making it one of the operating companies within the ATS Group, the company he founded in 1987. Chester, which turned 100 in 2010, was the largest African‐American‐owned water/wastewater, energy, and environmental engineering firm in the United States and the largest Water and Wastewater firm in Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania. In April 2017 Chester Engineers merged with Hatch. Mr. Agbede retained ownership of the Chester Group and Chester LNG.

I was excited reading about The Zuvaa lady and went online to check her out only to find this.

Zuvaa CEO Letter to Community https://medium.com/@kelechiea/zuvaa-ceo-letter-to-community-2dc8120f9d4a

It's so , so saddening reading this. I hope she picks up soonest.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by XAUBulls: 8:35pm On Dec 16, 2023
ednut1:
unlike the chinese and Indians. Nigeria have not done well in this regard. The businesses are mostly self run or they employ foreigners based there. My dad’s friend had a estate agent business in uk. Employed mostly white. The most common businesses done by Nigerians include African food businesses/ restaurants, trucking business, real estate, staffing/ recruitmentFor those willing to bring staff from Nigeria. It will be mostly their relatives.
True.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination / Trailer Crashes Into A School In Ibadan Before Break Time / Man Describes What Happened When He Prayed Traditional Prayer In A Bus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.