Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,408 members, 7,812,209 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:05 AM

Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora (27859 Views)

My Lovely Trip to Jubilee Chalets In Epe Owned By The Lagos State Government / Inagbe Grand Resort Owned By The Ooni Of Ife / My Visit To Willow Wood: Hotel Allegedly Owned By Rochas Okorocha In Owerri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by Volunteering101: 4:07pm On Feb 12, 2023
Re
Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by free2ryhme: 4:12pm On Feb 12, 2023
ebufa:

Bros they are O! Problem is that Nigerians do not have good knowledge of capiatal formation..............We have this midset that I can only raise capital for my business through personal savings and maybe a small help from a spouse! so that we can keep all the profit within the immediate nuclear family circle......................The indians ,chinese and hispanics .............go way beyond that,they form all sorts of family,friends and country man financial alliances!

The indians ,chinese and hispanics communities are evident with such success stories becos of trust and integrity amongst everyone. They also take family business serious unlike the black man whose wife might wake up one day saying she saw a witch chasing her in the dream and a family member is responsible

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by ukaface(f): 4:15pm On Feb 12, 2023
ednut1:
unlike the chinese and Indians. Nigeria have not done well in this regard. The businesses are mostly self run or they employ foreigners based there. My dad’s friend had a estate agent business in uk. Employed mostly white. The most common businesses done by Nigerians include African food businesses/ restaurants, trucking business, real estate, staffing/ recruitmentFor those willing to bring staff from Nigeria. It will be mostly their relatives.
Nigerians don’t trust themselves
They are always in competition with themselves

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by ukaface(f): 4:17pm On Feb 12, 2023
Enish restaurant at Brixton get Nigerians as employees sha
Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by okunwaye(m): 4:17pm On Feb 12, 2023
MiaBeer:

You want Nigerians in diaspora to tell you their business so Nigerians will start scamming them ba.?

It’s becoming extremely difficult to even dine with the devil with long spoon.
Lol grin grin
Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by BigDawsNet: 4:18pm On Feb 12, 2023
ayo84:
I created this thread for fellow Nigerians in diaspora to list or mention their businesses or registered companies with a perview to get volunteers, staff, freelancers to associate with them. For example it can attract investment from Nigerians who are planning to relocate or looking for freelancing roles.

I don't have any buisness or company yet in america... tho my Father hav some and uncle with couple of organisations but just giving out the info here online looks impossible.... if you find them online and apply... you may be lucky to get hired....

But I'm not going to give you any info without authorisation

3 Likes

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by Love800(m): 4:19pm On Feb 12, 2023
Wat abt cooking skill. Is it good
Lightmykpoli:
Dear Op, instead of going this route, I would suggest if you haven't already, equip yourself with a handy skill e.g plumbing, house painting, mechanic, barbing etc and then start planning to relocate and it will be more realistic to start business with that skill. No one will help you to japa, I was planning to bring a nanny/maid from Nigeria because of cheap labour but with the advices I got regarding unfaithful Nigerians once they achieve their goal of leaving the country, I changed plans.

2 Likes

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by AmuDimpka: 4:24pm On Feb 12, 2023
ayo84:
I created this thread for fellow Nigerians in diaspora to list or mention their businesses or registered companies with a perview to get volunteers, staff, freelancers to associate with them. For example it can attract investment from Nigerians who are planning to relocate or looking for freelancing roles.
many are doing hourly jobs

1 Like

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by LordAdam16: 4:27pm On Feb 12, 2023
Treadway:
Lol. Unfortunately, most Nigerians who emigrate are not entrepreneurial.

As it was in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, it is till now. Unlike other races and nationalities (Indians, Asians, Mexicans) that also emigrate, but over the years have made their mark and are thus more formidable as an racial/ethnic bloc/community, most Naija simply do not have their brains wired for entrepreneurship...even harder to think that way now considering how difficult it is to make enough money to start a business in 2023, not to mention the inherent risks. Which Gbadebo or Okoro would wanna risk losing what took him maybe 25+ years to accumulate if their business goes belly up?

When they do have children, for the few that have truly special children that have the fire, they have to come back home to really make sense. Demand and supply! Do you think Andela would have made any mark in the US? Demand and supply. Andela in the US is just another bee in a swarm of bees, but in Nigeria, same Andela is a queen bee.....now the shocking part is even these special children that have it in them, you can literally count them by hand. Like most emigrants state here on this forum, most moved overseas just to live a happier life. Being an entrepreneur certainly and evidently isn't in the cards for most Nigerian emigrants.

Lol

To be fair, in Nigeria, besides the Igbos and Hausas, not many other ethnicities are overtly entrepreneurial.

The state of the economy is the primary motivator for every Ola and Chinwe engaging in mini hustles (like selling data or shoes). Else, the average Nigerian is content with a fat salary and soft life.

When we build businesses, they do not last for more than 2 generations. The Dantatas are an exception not the rule. Otedola's dynasty will likely end with him. The Elumelus and Ovias will lose primary control of their empires after the founders kick the bucket.

Thus, it should not surprise you that Nigerians emigrants in well-run societies for the most part stick to the employee track.

Lastly, as regards running a business, Nigerians can't hold a candle to the Jews, Indians, Chinese, and Germans. In the West, the best of every ethnicity worldwide get to duke it out to succeed. And that is for the US, where there are not as many institutional and cultural impediments to immigrant-ran businesses.

Elsewhere in the developed world, there's an echelon with access to preferential rules, with natives at the top. In the second world, some countries have laws that mandate foreigners to get a native partner (sponsor) before they can set up shop. This used to be the case in the UAE until recently.

As such, there are not a lot of lucrative businesses you can start in the Diaspora as an immigrant.

And truthfully, if you do manage to set up a fledging business, there are very few, if any, reasons to employ a Nigerian over other nationalities. Dangote employs Indians in sensitive positions for a reason. Silicon Valley does too. Except for token roles, at which point you're better off giving it to a relative or referral as a favor (as @ednut opined).

All of that said, a lot of diasporans own or co-own SMBs in Nigeria. From education to real estate.

-Lord

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by Kaiser20: 4:32pm On Feb 12, 2023
ayo84:

Interesting, there could be nigerians at home who have plans on looking for a place to intern or work and these businesses could help on the relocation process
Afro/African shop operated only by husband and wife which embassy will grant a Nigerian visa to work in Afro shop

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by AngelicBeing: 4:34pm On Feb 12, 2023
LordAdam16:

To be fair, in Nigeria, besides the Igbos and Hausas, not many other ethnicities are overtly entrepreneurial.

The state of the economy is the primary motivator for every Ola and Chinwe engaging in mini hustles (like selling data or shoes). Else, the average Nigerian is content with a fat salary and soft life.

When we build businesses, they do not last for more than 2 generations. The Dantatas are an exception not the rule. Otedola's dynasty will likely end with him. The Elumelus and Ovias will lose primary control of their empires after the founders kick the bucket.

Thus, it should not surprise you that Nigerians emigrants in well-run societies for the most part stick to the employee track.

Lastly, as regards running a business, Nigerians can't hold a candle to the Jews, Indians, Chinese, and Germans. In the West, the best of every ethnicity worldwide get to duke it out to succeed. And that is for the US, where there are not as many institutional and cultural impediments to immigrant-ran businesses.

Elsewhere in the developed world, there's an echelon with access to preferential rules, with natives at the top. In the second world, some countries have laws that mandate foreigners to get a native partner (sponsor) before they can set up shop. This used to be the case in the UAE until recently.

As such, there are not a lot of lucrative businesses you can start in the Diaspora as an immigrant.

And truthfully, if you do manage to set up a fledging business, there are very few, if any, reasons to employ a Nigerian over other nationalities. Dangote employs Indians in sensitive positions for a reason. Silicon Valley does too. Except for token roles, at which point you're better off giving it to a relative or referral as a favor (as @ednut opined).

All of that said, a lot of diasporans own or co-own SMBs in Nigeria. From education to real estate.

-Lord
Gbamsulotely, end of thread, cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by lagosrd: 4:37pm On Feb 12, 2023
Reinaldo:
This is great. Please be careful of APC supporters when hiring. They have no morals.

Wahalai, you no well. Laughter wan hook me for here

1 Like

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by DREAMHOMES6970(m): 4:56pm On Feb 12, 2023
Omega fire deliverance and Miracle center . Grove str. New York. Incorporated in 2009 to the glory of the Lord
Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by ayo84(m): 4:59pm On Feb 12, 2023
Volunteering101:
Refuge Network International

[url][/url]https://www.refugenetworkinternational.com/

You can volunteer with us when visiting the UK from Nigeria. We also welcome Nigerians from the diaspora.

Interesting
Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by planetx: 5:01pm On Feb 12, 2023
Africa is the frontier to establish businesses that will make you a billionaire not UK, US or Canada. Those countries are saturated business wise but Africa is a virgin land. Go and watch the video on YouTube of this white American encouraging fellow Americans to start investing in real estate in West Africa because he was shocked at the mansions and shopping malls he saw in Ivory Coast and Ghana and that over the next decade the next real estate billionaires will be made in West Africa.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by ayo84(m): 5:06pm On Feb 12, 2023
I have a registered company in the uk and i intend to register one in the usa, but i have never been abroad before, we are into consultancy,is it possible to find collaborators or freelancers to help me get clients so based on the profit being made,that would be the basis for immigrating to the uk or usa or europe

1 Like

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by LordAdam16: 5:21pm On Feb 12, 2023
ebufa:

Bros they are O! Problem is that Nigerians do not have good knowledge of capiatal formation..............We have this midset that I can only raise capital for my business through personal savings and maybe a small help from a spouse! so that we can keep all the profit within the immediate nuclear family circle......................The indians ,chinese and hispanics .............go way beyond that,they form all sorts of family,friends and country man financial alliances!

I also think it is a numbers thing.

India and China are in the tre comma club. The US is Mecca for an entire continent and half of Hispanics. Anyone from the Middle East and North Africa is colloquially called an Arab, which is very inaccurate.

Nigerian-Americans are one of the most successful ethnicities in America. We do not need to be entrepreneurial to crack it in the West. If the Diaspora can continue to absorb us and our families without the dicey prospects of keeping a business alive, it would appear that we've found our comparative advantage and are fully exploiting it .

Perhaps with time we could build a rich community of Diasporans, with extensive networks in the Fatherland, that could then become a formidable presence in business.

China and India are the #2 and #6 largest economies. They also have the most population. Consequently, the top 20% is bigger than our entire population. The Chinese single handedly created a real estate crisis in Vancouver. Total Chinese savings in bank accounts in China is $2.6T (that's trillion with a capital T). Nigerians do not have money, they're just loud. So while a Chinese or Indian will make calls to collaborate to buy a business, a Nigerian will be playing dodgeball with bills sent by family.

-Lord

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by NaBanga: 5:22pm On Feb 12, 2023
xandy84:
I own a truck repair business and trucking company in Virginia. Most Nigeria tries to play it simple and safe. 9 out of 10 new businesses do not see second year and I am an example. My first company failed and I had to start all over with $90k in debt. When Nigeria start small scale businesses like car sales, trucking etc will never qualify hire foreign born worker.
Entrepreneur is easy on paper. No banks that I know of borrow new business money except if you want to use your house a collateral and you will be sorry if the business fail and most business do fail.
Average Chinese or Indians are richer than average Nigerian and they pool resources together to buy restaurant, gas station and take turns to run it and grow it from ground. Nigerian back home want their family that travel less than a week to start sending money home. He does not stand a chance to start a business. He just need to get a job and be ATM for people back home.

They are not that rich. The key is that they pool their money together. They work together. They bring each other and put them in workplaces, businesses and they don't betray each other. I have seen them up close. Even if their brother sleeps with their wife, they don't shake. They stick together.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by BanyXchi: 5:53pm On Feb 12, 2023
LordAdam16:

-Lord
'Besides the Igbos and Hausas, not many other ethnicities are overtly entrepreneurial' so how come the majority of the successful entrepreneurs in the West are Yorubas? I know that Hausas rarely travel out.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by christistruth01: 6:09pm On Feb 12, 2023
Reinaldo:
This is great. Please be careful of APC supporters when hiring. They have no morals.

Is it Igbos that are chasing and butchering your people for food every Monday that
have Morals ?

1 Like

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by Christian07(m): 6:17pm On Feb 12, 2023
Reinaldo:

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by MoneyMustBMade(m): 6:22pm On Feb 12, 2023
To my own opinion.
Nigerians not thier politicians don't have money compare to those countries indigens doing well outside thier own countries.
We don't have access to good soft loan to establish business outside Nigeria but those countries have.
Like in China even as a prisoner outside your country, you can still access loan for business. Majority of Africa countries are having leader issue. So who will finance them out side thier countries.
Many black African countries still have a long way to go in leadership, like they say charity Biggins at home.

Nigerian politicians and thier children in abroad only go there to waste money not to invest coz is a stolen money.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by poseidon12: 6:22pm On Feb 12, 2023
BigDawsNet:

I don't have any buisness or company yet in america... tho my Father hav some and uncle with couple of organisations but just giving out the info here online looks impossible.... if you find them online and apply... you may be lucky to get hired....

But I'm not going to give you any info without authorisation

I thought that a business would like free advert. Or are the businesses not legit?

1 Like

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by naijaman2225(m): 6:26pm On Feb 12, 2023
DREAMHOMES6970:
Omega fire deliverance and Miracle center . Grove str. New York. Incorporated in 2009 to the glory of the Lord
LOL.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by poseidon12: 6:37pm On Feb 12, 2023
Putinofrussia:

Bode Akindele.
Fairgate group,UK.

There is Fairgate group in UK owned by Bode Akindele.They deal in real estate.
They are said to be worth more than €1 billion..

Another one..
CAMAC International Corporation.

KAS LOOKMAN LAWAL.

CAMAC International Corporation, chairman and chief executive officer of Erin Energy Corporation, and chairman of Allied Energy Corporation in Houston, Texas, Chairman/Chief Executive Officer, CAMAC HOLDINGS

Kase Lukman Lawal (born June 30, 1954)[1] is a Nigerian-born businessman who lives and works in the United States.

Lawal was born June 30, 1954 in Ibadan. He obtained his Bachelor of Science in chemistry from Texas Southern University in 1976, and his MBA from Prairie View A&M University, both in Texas in 1978. He is the chairman and chief executive officer of CAMAC International Corporation, chairman and chief executive officer of Erin Energy Corporation, and chairman of Allied Energy Corporation in Houston, Texas, Chairman/Chief Executive Officer, CAMAC HOLDINGS;[2] vice chairman, Port of Houston Authority Commission. He also serves as a member of the board of directors and is a significant shareholder in Unity National Bank, the only federally insured and licensed African-American-owned bank in Texas. Lawal was a member of the National Republican Congressional Committee's Business Advisory Council and, in 1994, he was a finalist for the United States Business Entrepreneur of the Year. Lawal is a member of Phi Beta Sigma fraternity. He was awarded an honorary doctorate degree in philosophy from Fort Valley State University.

Another one...
BAYO OGUNLESI.
GIP.

In July 2006, Ogunlesi started the private equity firm, Global Infrastructure Partners (GIP), a joint venture whose initial investors included Credit Suisse and General Electric. He currently serves as Chairman and Managing Partner.

In 2006, GIP bought London City Airport. In 2009, GIP acquired the majority in London Gatwick Airport in a deal worth £1.455 billion.The Nigerian press has given him the nickname, "The Man Who Bought Gatwick Airport. GIP also owns Edinburgh Airport, which they bought in 2012,and Nuovo Trasporto Viaggiatori, which they bought in February 2018.
GIP is said to be worth more than $70 billion.

Another one..

Harry Akande.
AIC and co.

An entrepreneur with over 400 companies around the world. H e was once the richest man in Nigeria.

Another one...

Dehinde Fernandez.
Petro Inett.

Fernandez ran an oil company called Petro Inett which obtained a 50% share with South African-based Energy Africa Limited in a deal with the state oil company for exploration rights in a 4,700 km2 area of Angola's coast in 1996.In 1992, he was appointed as Special Adviser to the President of Mozambique on International Economic Matters, a position he held for three years.

Another one...

Jason Njoku
Iroko Tv.

Jason Chukwuma Njoku (born 11 December 1980) is a British-Nigerian businessman. He is the co-founder and CEO of iROKOtv, a video-on-demand service for Nigerian movies.

Tope Awotona

Tope Awotona
Tope Awotona is the founder and CEO of Calendly, a functional and effective scheduling tool that helps you schedule meetings, appointments and events without all the back and forth emails. The app is currently valued at over $3 billion. Tope grew up in Lagos, Nigeria and moved to the US, where he graduated from the University of Georgia. He then landed a job at IBM as a sales rep, before moving on to Perceptive Software, Vertafore, and Dell EMC. His first three attempts at founding a startup: a dating website “single to taken”, “projectorstop” that sold projectors and “YardSteals”, a platform for home and yard equipment all failed to take off.

He then struck gold when he founded Calendly LLC in 2010.

Abbey Wemimo

Abbey Wemimo
Abbey Wemimo was born in, and grew up in Lagos, Nigeria. He moved to Minneapolis from Nigeria in 2009, and proceeded to earn degrees in business management and public administration. He founded Esusu Financial Inc in 2017 as a financial technology platform helping individuals save money and build credit for low-to-middle income consumers. Last year, in an effort to provide pandemic relief, the firm distributed $250,000 in interest-free loans to New Yorkers who couldn’t make their rent.

In July, Esusu raised $10 Million in Series A funding led by Motley Fool Ventures with investment from Serena Williams’ Serena Ventures.

Chinedu Echeruo.

Chinedu Echeruo is a well known serial entrepreneur. He is more commonly known for his startup HopStop, a pioneering travel app that helped millions of users navigate public transportation in major metropolitan areas around the world, Apple Inc acquired the city transit app in 2013 for $1 billion.

His most recent endeavour is the tech for good startup MindMeet, which allows users to share knowledge and raise money for charity whilst doing so.

Kelechi Anyadiegwu

Kelechi Anyadiegwu
Kelechi is the New York based founder of African inspired clothing marketplace, Zuvaa. She has a masters in human-computer interaction from Carnegie Mellon and also appeared in the Forbes 30 under 30 list. After being frustrated due to being unable to find fashionable African-inspired clothing and accessories, she created an e-commerce destination for merchants from across the diaspora to sell their wares.

Zuvaa’ originates from the word ‘Zuva’ which means sun or sunshine in the language of the Shona people from Zimbabwe.

In 2016, Zuvaa was estimated to have made $2 million in sales.

Stephen Ozoigbo

Stephen Ozoigbo
Stephen is the CEO of the Silicon Valley based African Technology Foundation (ATF), offering mentorship and resource access to African entrepreneurs, in addition to running a venture fund. It connects companies and founders with potential directly to Silicon Valley investors through ATF’s VenturePATH program.

Sijibomi Ogundele.
Sujimoto Group of Companies.

Sijibomi “Sujimoto” Ogundele is the founder and lead partner of Sujimoto Group of Companies, which comprises of real-estate, finance and energy divisions. The organization operates offices in Paris, Accra, Madrid, Dubai, Riyadh, and Lagos. With the umbrella of Sujimoto Investment Ltd. and its principal partner, Yazeed Alrahji, Sujimoto has been able to bridge the venture capital industry with more than 47 successful business acquisitions and restructurings.

Some of the big names are just fronts and money launderers for the political/military powers that be in Nigeria and cannot really serve as role models for aspiring entrepreneurs.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by GraciousHeartsM: 6:46pm On Feb 12, 2023
Volunteering101:
Refuge Network International

[url][/url]https://www.refugenetworkinternational.com/

You can volunteer with us when visiting the UK from Nigeria. We also welcome Nigerians from the diaspora.

This is great...how can we reach you for a collaboration in the UK please? I see there's an upcoming event. Cheers
Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by Putinofrussia: 6:52pm On Feb 12, 2023
poseidon12:

Some of the big names are just fronts and money launderers for the political/military powers that be in Nigeria and cannot really serve as role models for aspiring entrepreneurs.
A speculation that does not hold water.
All of them are in the diaspora.Only one has its headquarters here and that is Sujimoto group.
I still have some more but if I begin to post them,tribal sentiments will be enboldened.They are mostly from the SW and a couple from SE.
Nigerians are trying out there..

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by frankadrian: 6:55pm On Feb 12, 2023
ayo84:
I have a registered company in the uk and i intend to register one in the usa, but i have never been abroad before, we are into consultancy,is it possible to find collaborators or freelancers to help me get clients so based on the profit being made,that would be the basis for immigrating to the uk or usa or europe

What kind of business do you run?
Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by IbeOkehie: 7:23pm On Feb 12, 2023
ednut1:
why should anyone want to do this you may spend so much bring that person here on work permit and they opt out of the contract or move to another company off your sweat, why help strangers when you still have relatives or their kids i once went to a Nigerian restaurant and the servers were indian and an arab guy. Apparently the 9ja owner was cooking inside while they served. In Nigerian owned bars too they employ 9ja students and other blacks. The requirement for hiring a foreigner in most western countries is that you must prove that there is no one on ground who can do the job, unfortunately most Nigerian businesses cant scale this hurdle plus the cost involved. If you own a trucking company you will look for Mexicans or other blacks to drive for you not truck drivers in Nigeria who operate with poor driving standards in Nigeria.

You've outlined a very real risk. Even relatives are not a safe bet for anyone's hard earned money. I know a business owner who seriously contemplated hiring from Nigeria but decided against it for all the reasons we all know - Nigerians are prone to, well, let's just say Nigerians are prone to surprising anyone at anytime.

Anyway who wants to suffer working abroad when Nigeria is a paradise. Go to Apapa, Idumota and Computer Village and see real businessmen packing loads of cash in trailers. The money is in Nigeria if you know where to look grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by Shikena(m): 7:24pm On Feb 12, 2023
BanyXchi:
'Besides the Igbos and Hausas, not many other ethnicities are overtly entrepreneurial' so how come the majority of the successful entrepreneurs in the West are Yorubas? I know that Hausas rarely travel out.
I saw that too and just ignored. One thing that shocked me in America is the toned down nature of the popular linking of Igbos with businesses. Yorubas businesses are more noticeable. Even the Edo ones are prominent in some places. I see the Igbo ones too but not anywhere close to my expectation.

However, keep in mind that the diaspora intermarry a lot. So, that Yoruba business may include an Igbo wife. Fact is fact.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by LordAdam16: 7:43pm On Feb 12, 2023
BanyXchi:

The Hausas have been traders connecting Northern cities with the foreign Arab markets for more than two centuries and before the amalgamation of Nigeria.

The reputation of the Igbos in entrepreneurship precedes them.

The Yorubas are noted for their devotion to education and salaried pursuits.

That does not mean that other tribes in Nigeria, including the Yorubas, do not run businesses. This is why I added the qualifier "overtly".

In the West, without any formal study or stat to point to, it does appear to me that distribution of Nigerian ethnicities in businesses is even or that any difference is statistically minuscule and therefore irrelevant. And more importantly, that regardless of ethnicity, Nigerian Americans overwhelmingly favor an educationally-inclined, salaried track.

If it seems to you that the majority of successful businesses in the West are run by Yorubas, I'll chalk that up to the Baader–Meinhof phenomenon. I would not be so bold to make a definitive statement like that. A good number of Nigerian Americans run their own firms or start companies on the side.

Adebayo Ogunlesi who has sat on the board of Goldman Sachs for more than 10 years founded his own firm Global Infrastructure Partners. But before that he worked at Credit Suisse. Mekka Don's sister Sylvia runs her own law firm, while he worked at a top 10 law firm before he ventured into rapping. They're Igbos.

The Nigerian community in the diaspora has grown in leaps and bounds since the 80s when there were less than 100,000 in the West. Then most Nigerians went exclusively via the study route. In the coming decades, kids of immigrants will start businesses at a higher rate than their forebears. I cannot predict how it will shake out by ethnicity.

The Indians and Chinese had humble beginnings in the West. We are fortunate to start out with education in temperature-controlled enclosures. The Japs and Chinese started out as contract laborers during the industrial revolution and primarily laid rail tracks crammed in shoebox dwellings in filthy conditions and heavily discriminated against. Things are obviously very different now.

-Lord

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Businesses Owned By Nigerians In Diaspora by twosquare(m): 8:19pm On Feb 12, 2023
^^^ Another beautiful nonsense.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photos Of Stranded Passengers At The Airport Due To Fuel Scarcity / Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination / Trailer Crashes Into A School In Ibadan Before Break Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.