Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,313 members, 7,836,353 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:07 AM

Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State (51670 Views)

The Proposed Gelegele Seaport In Edo State / POLLS: Ijaws Table Jonathan’s Re-election Before Amasiekumor Deity -(PIC) / CAN President, Oritsejafor, Admits Ownership Of Cash-stacked Jet Seized In S.Afr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Nobody: 2:05pm On Sep 23, 2011
quoting Physics OED If you claim you can provide an Ijaw etymology for it, then what does "Gelegelegbini" (what Ijaws really called it, before they started pretending to own it) mean? "Bold water"? "Bold Bini"?

DO NOT mistake GELEGELEGBENE to be GELEGELEGBINI, and thank God you admitted you don't understand Ijaw dialect, if you are a good person in to conflict resolution then study the words from all angles. the Bini meaning and the Ijaw meaning before you make a conclusion. AGAIN. leave the matter for the GELE GELE people to setlle, if there are BINIS IN GELE GELE let them meet with the IJAWS and resolve the matter. THE entrance of EDOS out side GELE GELE in to any conflict with the IJAWS of GELE GELE would lead KALABARI IJAWS in to their defense .
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by PhysicsQED(m): 2:08pm On Sep 23, 2011
^^^^^

Killayut, you keep making yourself look ridiculous.

You would be asking why a place that was destroyed has no shrines. This is too silly. Gelegele was relatively small to begin with, considerably smaller than Ughoton. Then it was destroyed. Why would there be evidence of shrines there?

And the Binis never sought out the Ijaws. The Ijaws had NOTHING that the Binis could not get from the Itsekiris or Europeans.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by PhysicsQED(m): 2:16pm On Sep 23, 2011
killayut:

DO NOT mistake  GELEGELEGBENE  to be GELEGELEGBINI,   and thank God  you admitted  you don't understand Ijaw dialect,  if you are a good person in to conflict resolution  then study the words from all angles. the Bini meaning and the Ijaw meaning before you make a conclusion.  AGAIN. leave the matter for the  GELE GELE  people  to setlle,  if  there are BINIS IN GELE GELE  let them meet with the IJAWS and resolve  the matter. THE entrance of EDOS out side GELE GELE  in to any conflict with  the IJAWS of GELE GELE  would lead  KALABARI IJAWS in to their defense .

My point is that Ijaws never knew the town as Gelegele. The writing of it as Gelegeleg[b]bini[/b] is by Ijaw historians (Alagoa, Kowei, etc.). I don't care if it's Gelegelegbini or Gelegelegbene, you guys don't know the name for it and you're claiming it.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Abagworo(m): 2:28pm On Sep 23, 2011
Ibime:

The study of linguistics tells me that Igbos used to take slaves from the Oru people.

The word slave is taken from the word Slav - as the original slaves were abducted from Slavic peoples of Eastern Europes.

The Northern Igbo may have come to assign the word Oru (slave) to represent the people from which they plundered slaves.

Secondly, if Oru and Igbo are brothers, then Oru is not Igbo. I am Oru. Any Ijaw from Nembe to Bonny was known as Oru as recently as 1900. Why would Abagworo's people need to say "I am Oru but I am not Ijaw"? These are the words of someone trying to distance himself from his true identity. A true Igbo man should have no need to disclaim Ijaw as he would be sure of his identity.

You have misquoted me grossly.There is never Ijaw in our sayings.We only have Igbo and Oru."Oru" which has variance as "Olu" has nothing in common with "Oru/Ohu" which refers to slaves.Oru and Igbo are brothers because the language is the same.The adage is said in pure Igbo language.

Our history only has some Idu references and not Ijaw but I personally deduced that the original Oru has been divided into Ijaw and Igbo although we have no oral or written evidence of that.If you check our gods and goddesses like Ogbuide or Uhamiri,you will know they are purely Igbo names as Idemili is even found in Anambra.Ogbuide is a greater goddess.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Dede1(m): 2:47pm On Sep 23, 2011
PhysicsQED:

I have read accounts that state clearly that the name Ijo derives from Ujo, a famous ancestor of the Ijaws and some of these accounts also acknowledge that this wasn't the original name for the Ijaws but that Oru was the original name. That the original name was Oru does not mean that the name Ijo, by simple elimination, derives from a European word.

Can someone (i.e. Dede) give a convincing linguistic argument showing that there is a particular reason that the Portuguese would use the word "Jos" or "Ijos" to refer to "boat people", "seamen", "sailors", "fishermen", "ferrymen", or "people of the river" or even "porter" "helper" "servant" or even anything similar? Portuguese dictionaries are accessible, and I can't see how there is a connection between the word "Ijo" or "Jos" and Portuguese words. Granted, languages change somewhat over time, but if the word "Jos" did not have a meaning in their language, I doubt they (the Portuguese) were the ones that made up the term.

As an example of one of the accounts I was referring to:

http://www.ijawfoundation.org/people.htm

^^^

Although there are several things stated in there that I disagree with completely (such as the false claim about a population of 14 million Ijaws and some of the historical claims), I have to say that I am more inclined to believe that the term Ijo is of African origin than Portuguese.

I am not a linguistic by any stretch of imagination. However, I am of the school of thought which believes human understanding stresses experience. As you have rightfully stated that languages change somewhat over time hence there are Amachere for Amaikiri, Ama Onye anabo for Amayenagbo, Opu Obu for Opobo, Ubani for Bonny and Mmerenini for Mein. There is a word that sounds like “Jos” in the Portuguese’s reference to the “people of the river”. I am just interested in finding the true color of certain things and view attempts the time and certain dubious individuals have conspired to sit historical fact on its head.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Nobody: 2:55pm On Sep 23, 2011
ABAGWORO
The Northern Igbos were still naked and scattered in the forest during the slave era. They were so primitive that they never even knew the use of water . So When the Ijaws were using water to clean after going to toilet the NORTHERN IGBOS were still using sticks and leaves, So then pls tell me hwta road  or tracks  they used to enslave the Ijaws or the ORUS ? and  who bought their slaves /  When the Portuguese  were trading with the Ijaws  the Igbos were never discovered. You can see this in the tradition of the KALABARI / OKRIKA/ BONNY people. The Portuguese  thingy is still in them, in their ancient houses and even language.  Even the Dutch that came after the Portuguese  never knew the Igbos. It was during the British era  Igbos were discovered at which time the Ijaws have even gone to school abroad .  Slavery started  about 100 yrs before  King jaja  was  captured and sold to the KING of Bonny. and this is why the BERBICE DUTCH CREOLE  that was spoken by the  black people  of the dutch  land of guyana  and Surinam  had  50%  Ijaw  words. google  berbice creole and read  more of it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PH1TvEE8Vw

You people should learn before  you conclude. Today you Igbos wear  Kalabari / Okrika / bonny  attires and struggling to claim it. You borrow  things from us and later on claim it and make  your children think your people  started  it, This is IGNORANCE.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Nobody: 3:05pm On Sep 23, 2011
QUOTING al j harem toro-ebe state. I heard it will start from the ijaws in Ajegule Lagos to ilaje land and cover urhobo land and itsekiri

is it true that there are indigenous Ijaws in lagos. and if so how did they give land to awori and egun people of lagos ?

then I heard of ilaje people too were given land by the ijaws ? How true is that

also how come ilaje people are in delta state and what part of ilaje land do arogbo ijaw and apoi ijaw have

thanks

State creation is for development purpose. a state is created or not the settlers remain where they are settled and would continue to build their homes . State creation is agitated for every one who lives at the boundary for speedy development. It beats me to read Nigerians Youths write stuffs and make the same mistakes their parents made. This was why the IFES AND MODAKEKES fought an unnecessary war. If your parents or forefathers never chased a people away who are you to try it at a later time ? and WHERE is Nigeria heading if we continue to kick against development by refusing state creation because we think certain people we hate would also benefit from it ?. The TORU EBE state movement clearly included every native and resident of the area for the development and benefit of every one. How is that bad ? Did Ijaws say they were creating a state or they want a state for themselevs ? Have you heard in history or any time when Ijaws chased away or fought people to live their territory. . These Nigerians are 500 yrs behind time mennn.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by udezue(m): 3:12pm On Sep 23, 2011
LOL Killayut, is a known Igbo hater by the name "Tom Briggs" I just realized that after reading his comment about Igbos wiping asss with sticks and not knowing what to do with water. I have trashed the idi0t so many times on facebook.

Yeah u went to study abroad before the so-called "primitive" Igbos and came back to live on water. After all your education una still remain quite uneducated. With all that education how come Bayelsa has nothing to show for but one damn highway? Yeah u are so civilized. Couldn't even retain your culture and names in your own land. Dey waka about with names like Pepper, Table, Pebble, Badluck, Goodluck, Gate, Square, etc in your own land. Mchew
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Nobody: 3:14pm On Sep 23, 2011
 quoting   ALJ AHAREM toro-ebe state. I heard it will start from the ijaws in Ajegule Lagos to ilaje land and cover urhobo land and itsekiri

is it true that there are indigenous Ijaws in lagos. and if so how did they give land to awori and egun people of lagos ?

then I heard of ilaje people too were given land by the ijaws ? How true is that

also how come ilaje people are in delta state and what part of ilaje land do arogbo ijaw and apoi ijaw have

thanks

Lagos  has never been a Yoruba land, even in the ancient OYO empire  Lagos was not included. Lagos  how ever maybe land to some ODUDUWA  children being that the EGUNS and AWORIS  are of ODUDUWA  descent . But the APOIS also have land in lagos and even the  Igbiras who were brought by the BINIS  also  land in LAGOS.  the majority of the people in ISALE EKO came from OFA in far away  Kwara state   while  the  coastal dwellers  were Ijaw fisher men from the Arogbo  territory.  ANCIENT  IJAWS HAD LIVED AT  IJORA, OLODI AND KIRI KIRI  before  colonial era, it was due to the native Ijaws in the OLODI area  that made  the apapa  warf  become known as  apapa warf.  APAPA  WARF was mainly created  to ship ground nut  and related  product  out of Nigeri. The activities of ground nut workers and ground nut sack dunes at the warf made the warf known as APAPA WARF,  APAPA is  GROUND NUT IN IJAW, tILL TOMORROW  THE LAND OWNERS IN TARKWA are IJAWS AND IJAWS  SELL LAND  OVER THERE, I heard a traditional ruler  has been installed in AJEGUNLE by the  OBA of lagos for the Ijaw natives  there.   All the millions of Yorubas in Lagos  migrated from Ijebu and Egba land and   now  stay put claiming the land of the Egun, AWORI, APOI AND AROGBOS. but as it  would be the IJAWS  are the ones to lose since tribalism will never favor them.  God bless  us.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Nobody: 3:20pm On Sep 23, 2011
quoting UDEZUE Yeah u went to study abroad before the so-called "primitive" Igbos and came back to live on water. After all your education una still remain quite uneducated. With all that education how come Bayelsa has nothing to show for but one damn highway? Yeah u are so civilized. Couldn't even retain your culture and names in your own land. Dey waka about with names like Pepper, Table, Pebble, Badluck, Goodluck, Gate, Square, etc in your own land. Mchew

Your Igbo tribalism when we were under eastern region deprived us of education at that time. The KALABARIS / OKRIKAS AND BONNY were lucky since they have attained education already before the eastern Region era and so were able to use that to penetrate the Igbo tribalism. and they were clser to the schools in Igbo land . They were able to go to school all the way from the coast to the Igbo land were the schools were hyjacked to by the Igbo eastern government rulers, the section of Ijaw that is now BAYELSA WAS the worse hit, EASTERN REGION GOVERNMENT never developed it and that was why ADAKA BORO started his rebelion, It is that same hate and tribalism you nasty fools have till today that you are vexed with Ijaw development, Too bad you can not derail us now, we have come to realize this tribalism thing and we are now ready to face it . watch out for BAYELSA state in another 10 yrs and weep for your IGBO land.

1 Like

Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Abagworo(m): 3:27pm On Sep 23, 2011
killayut:

Lagos  has never been a Yoruba land,  even in the ancient OYO empire  Lagos was not included. Lagos  how ever maybe land to some ODUDUWA  children being that the EGUNS and AWORIS  are of ODUDUWA  descent . But the APOIS also have land in lagos and even the  Igbiras who were brought by the BINIS  also  land in LAGOS.  the majority of the people in ISALE EKO came from OFA in far away  Kwara state   while  the  coastal dwellers  were Ijaw fisher men from the Arogbo  territory.  ANCIENT  IJAWS HAD LIVED AT  IJORA, OLODI AND KIRI KIRI  before  colonial era,  it was due to the native Ijaws in the OLODI area  that made  the apapa  warf  become known as  apapa warf.  APAPA  WARF was mainly created  to ship ground nut  and related  product  out of Nigeri. The activities of ground nut workers and ground nut sack dunes at the warf made the warf known as APAPA WARF,   APAPA is  GROUND NUT IN IJAW,  tILL TOMORROW  THE LAND OWNERS IN TARKWA are IJAWS AND IJAWS  SELL LAND  OVER THERE,  I heard a traditional ruler  has been installed in AJEGUNLE by the  OBA of lagos for the Ijaw natives  there.   All the millions of Yorubas in Lagos  migrated from Ijebu and Egba land and   now  stay put claiming the land of the Egun, AWORI, APOI AND AROGBOS. but as it  would be the IJAWS  are the ones to lose since tribalism will never favor them.  God bless  us.

I dey laugh at your ignorance.Please in whatever you say about Ijaw,never mention Kalabari,Bonny,Okrika or Opobo.Their history is not hidden as it is very recent.Kalabari is Ijaw +Efik+Igbo.Okrika is Ijaw+Igbo while Bonny/Opobo is 60% Igbo + 20% Efik  in origin.There will be serious war over Bonny,Okrika and Opobo if Nigeria should break up.The Igbos and Efik/Ibibios will over run there and filter out the Ijaw elements or they will be left on their own as Rivers people.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by nduchucks: 3:38pm On Sep 23, 2011
History professors in Nigerian Universities and elsewhere have a lot of work to do, given the various opinions projected as historical accounts on this thread. You guys are doing a good job in putting forth your various points of view. What saddens me however, is the vigor with which some of you disavow certain inconvenient truths about your history.

There is nothing to be ashamed of when historical accounts are given about your various ethnic groups. Keep this up, I'm enjoying the exchange of information. It suffices to say that there were Ijaw slaves, Ijaw owners/traders, Igbo slaves and Igbo slave owners/traders as well. This is the only historical fact that we can accept as conclusive on the matter.

My own view is that, any land area which causes various ethnic groups to take up arms because of some archaic land ownership rights, should be seized and garnished by the federal government and rendered government land. shikena.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Abagworo(m): 3:40pm On Sep 23, 2011
killayut:

Your Igbo tribalism when we were under  eastern region deprived  us of  education at that time. The KALABARIS / OKRIKAS AND  BONNY  were lucky since they have attained education already before  the eastern Region era and so were able to use that to penetrate  the   Igbo tribalism. and they were clser to the schools in Igbo land . They were able to go to school all the way from  the coast to the Igbo land were the schools were hyjacked to by the Igbo eastern government rulers,  the section of Ijaw that is now BAYELSA WAS the worse hit,  EASTERN REGION GOVERNMENT never developed it and that was why ADAKA BORO started  his rebelion,  It is that same hate and tribalism you nasty fools  have till today  that you are vexed with Ijaw  development,  Too bad  you can not derail us now,  we have come to realize  this  tribalism   thing and  we are now ready to face it .  watch out for BAYELSA state in another 10 yrs and weep for your IGBO land.NB only 2 years out of Bayelsa's 14 was under military rule.

Let us argue this out logically.The Eastern region existed only for 6 years(1960-1966) so I would like to know how that 6 years can be compared with your 27 years in Rivers State and another 14 years as Bayelsa.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by ChinenyeN(m): 3:40pm On Sep 23, 2011
udezue:

LOL Killayut, is a known Igbo hater by the name "Briggs" I just realized that after reading his comment about Igbos wiping asss with sticks and not knowing what to do with water. I have trashed the idi0t so many times on facebook.
I knew the way he wrote looked familiar. I've been sitting here trying to place it.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Dede1(m): 3:49pm On Sep 23, 2011
killayut:

Your Igbo tribalism when we were under eastern region deprived us of education at that time. The KALABARIS / OKRIKAS AND BONNY were lucky since they have attained education already before the eastern Region era and so were able to use that to penetrate the Igbo tribalism. and they were clser to the schools in Igbo land . They were able to go to school all the way from the coast to the Igbo land were the schools were hyjacked to by the Igbo eastern government rulers, the section of Ijaw that is now BAYELSA WAS the worse hit, EASTERN REGION GOVERNMENT never developed it and that was why ADAKA BORO started his rebelion, It is that same hate and tribalism you nasty fools have till today that you are vexed with Ijaw development, Too bad you can not derail us now, we have come to realize this tribalism thing and we are now ready to face it . watch out for BAYELSA state in another 10 yrs and weep for your IGBO land.

You sounded very unintelligently and incoherently too. You claimed Ijo had received European education before Ndigbo and still claim Ndigbo deprived Ijo means to European education. You were right because Europeans built first schools on the boat.  grin grin If I did not experience the social condition on the ground in Yenegoa about the 80s, I would have given a reasonable consideration to your illogical rant.

By the way, Ijo are still using the poo water to wipe their anus after defecating into to the same water. Have you stopped welcoming Ijo sons and daughters who graduated from UI and UniLag with a dance troupe at the airport?
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by nduchucks: 3:50pm On Sep 23, 2011
Abagworo:

Let us argue this out logically.The Eastern region existed only for 6 years(1960-1966) so I would like to know how that 6 years can be compared with your 27 years in Rivers State and another 14 years as Bayelsa.

Interesting segue.  But Abagworo, is there any truth to the accusation that Igbo tribalism when killayut's people were under  eastern region deprived  them of  education at that time?  

@Dede1, must your blows always be below the belt even when the face and body are available for same?
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Dede1(m): 3:58pm On Sep 23, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Interesting segue.  But Abagworo, is there any truth to the accusation that Igbo tribalism when killayut's people were under  eastern region deprived  them of  education at that time? 

@Dede1, must your blows always be below the belt even when the face and body are available for same?

How? grin grin The jackass provided an opening and I exploited it rather legally.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by ow11(m): 4:00pm On Sep 23, 2011
@ Killayut

I think the similarities between Ijaw and Ancient Egypt are just coincedences IMO.

@Dede1

I ask again, what is the meaning of Ama Onye Nabo in Igbo?  then  secondly, why is your story about boat people called 'jos' by the portuguese not wrong? We are all debating oral traditions and PhysicsQED is providing some documentary evidence to back up his claim. I would like you to provide proper evidence documentary and linguistic  evidence showing that Ijaw people were called 'jos' which means 'porter' in Portuguese AND that Eastern Ijaw clans were all established by Igbos and somehow managed to get a language and culture different from the original founders of said villages (Bille, Krakrama, Nkoro, Abonnema, Tombia etc) whom they somehow managed to teach a new language and culture.

@Topic

The land in Gelegele is similer to the Palestine/Israeli conflict. Ijaws now live there and have done so at least for over a 100 years.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by ChinenyeN(m): 4:01pm On Sep 23, 2011
Killayut, ikasi doghu. . Physics has already put you in your place.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by ow11(m): 4:14pm On Sep 23, 2011
@ChinenyeN

A ri sim o
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Dede1(m): 4:19pm On Sep 23, 2011
ow11:

@ Killayut

I think the similarities between Ijaw and Ancient Egypt are just coincedences IMO.

@Dede1

I ask again, what is the meaning of Ama Onye Nabo in Igbo?  then  secondly, why is your story about boat people called 'jos' by the portuguese not wrong? We are all debating oral traditions and PhysicsQED is providing some documentary evidence to back up his claim. I would like you to provide proper evidence documentary and linguistic  evidence showing that Ijaw people were called 'jos' which means 'porter' in Portuguese AND that Eastern Ijaw clans were all established by Igbos and somehow managed to get a language and culture different from the original founders of said villages (Bille, Krakrama, Nkoro, Abonnema, Tombia etc) whom they somehow managed to teach a new language and culture.

@Topic

The land in Gelegele is similer to the Palestine/Israeli conflict. Ijaws now live there and have done so at least for over a 100 years.

You know that Nwanwa are treated with soft cloves. In some places, it is Igwe or Eze. Not every Di.ck or Tom gets his compound cleared, swept and cleaned by the entire community at a stipulated date or day.

I have never written that “Jos” is porters and invariable Ijo. I had written that what become Ijo are combination of natives and porters European brought to the bight of Biafra. As PhysicsQED stated that languages change somewhat over time, the reference Portuguese gave to the people whom they met at Rio Real, thus, “people of the river” gave rise to “Jos” hence Ijo.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by ow11(m): 4:23pm On Sep 23, 2011
@Dede1

Were these natives were Igbos or Oru as Abagworo suggested. Then I ask again what does Ama onye nabo mean in Igbo so that I can verify whether it serves the same purpose in present day Ijaw land.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by ChinenyeN(m): 4:24pm On Sep 23, 2011
@ow11 . . yeah, a kanyagha. What is "sim"?
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Abagworo(m): 4:25pm On Sep 23, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Interesting segue.  But Abagworo, is there any truth to the accusation that Igbo tribalism when killayut's people were under  eastern region deprived  them of  education at that time?  

The truth is that Bayelsa has a very difficult terrain that requires extra for development.Under the then Eastern region,they had easier terrains to develop.The same thing repeated under Rivers State where the easier area received more development.Even under Bayelsa they have not fared well as most well to do Bayelsans continue living in easier to develop part of Rivers. What Bayelsa needs to develop is to be made a Federal Capital Territory or all Nigerians contribute for the expensive development.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by aljharem3: 4:49pm On Sep 23, 2011
killayut:

Lagos  has never been a Yoruba land,  even in the ancient OYO empire  Lagos was not included. Lagos  how ever maybe land to some ODUDUWA  children being that the EGUNS and AWORIS  are of ODUDUWA  descent . But the APOIS also have land in lagos and even the  Igbiras who were brought by the BINIS  also  land in LAGOS.  the majority of the people in ISALE EKO came from OFA in far away  Kwara state   while  the  coastal dwellers  were Ijaw fisher men from the Arogbo  territory.  ANCIENT  IJAWS HAD LIVED AT  IJORA, OLODI AND KIRI KIRI  before  colonial era,  it was due to the native Ijaws in the OLODI area  that made  the apapa  warf  become known as  apapa warf.  APAPA  WARF was mainly created  to ship ground nut  and related  product  out of Nigeri. The activities of ground nut workers and ground nut sack dunes at the warf made the warf known as APAPA WARF,   APAPA is  GROUND NUT IN IJAW,  tILL TOMORROW  THE LAND OWNERS IN TARKWA are IJAWS AND IJAWS  SELL LAND  OVER THERE,  I heard a traditional ruler  has been installed in AJEGUNLE by the  OBA of lagos for the Ijaw natives  there.   All the millions of Yorubas in Lagos  migrated from Ijebu and Egba land and   now  stay put claiming the land of the Egun, AWORI, APOI AND AROGBOS. but as it  would be the IJAWS  are the ones to lose since tribalism will never favor them.  God bless  us.

thanks for the reply

Now there are states in SW nigeria that were never under the OYO empire but are now Yorubaland

places like ekiti, lagos, ondo, western delta.

I am an Awori myself and I can tell u that there are NO APOI CLANS IN LAGOS OR ANY OF HER ISLANDS

Apapa is just a name and does not mean Ijaws gave it that name

badary, oyingbo, alhausa, makoko, akoka, etc are all names does that mean they are not part of egun and awori land ?

Now you were talking of apoi ijaws in lagos (which there are none) what does apapa mean in Ijaw language ?

Apapa is a kalabari word for ground nut and kalabaris are found in rivers state which is too far off lagos

apapa mean nothing in apoi ijaw or conventional ijaw language .

Now ajegunle, is not also an ijaw town

what does ajegunle mean in Ijaw ?

the oba of lagos was stu.pid to have done that ( No tribalism)

so killayut. what does Ijora mean in ijaw ?

ijora means a stale day in yoruba ( Ijo ra)

Not being part of the oyo empire does not mean we are not yorubas. I hope you understand

the ilaje of ondo , awori of lagos, egun of lagos, ekiti paropo, the  itsekiris, etc all this groups

We were never EVER part of the Oyo empire and if u read ur history well, you would not find in the oyo empire quoting Awori, ilaje, mahin, egun people, itsekiri people in there

so you can check ur history. but ask why I an Awori man would never ever be considered an Ijaw ? Because Ijaw ethnic group is a fraud

why can't the, ekiti ilaje, mahin, itsekiri, urhobo etc can never call themselves Ijaw because they are Not.

Apoi Ijaw is another case because in every group, there are some confuse bunch and unfortunately the apoi Ijaw fell for the bait.

Sahara reporter owner is apoi ijaw. does not act like Ijaw to me undecided

you as a kalabari man, can u understand an gelegele Ijaw migrate speak ?

mind you, not all costal groups are ijaws. even in balysea, there are igbo groups there. believe it or not and yet they are not represented in the state.

Now you people want representation in other parts of the country. How is this possible

Even as far as lagos and kano state. Igbos are represented but baylsea state which some igbo groups are indigenous to, they are not represented in the cabinet. why is that.

thanks for ur time

Before i go I would like to share the history of how ijaws gave land to itsekiri, urhobo, ekiti and bini people.

thanks
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Dede1(m): 5:36pm On Sep 23, 2011
ow11:

@Dede1

Were these natives were Igbos or Oru as Abagworo suggested. Then I ask again what does Ama onye nabo mean in Igbo so that I can verify whether it serves the same purpose in present day Ijaw land.

You are a known revisionist of Ijo extraction who does not need additional clues to engender more damages than required. Definitely, you can not secure such clues from me bros.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by ow11(m): 5:55pm On Sep 23, 2011
ChinenyeN:

@ow11 . . yeah, a kanyagha. What is "sim"?

sim means 'to call'

Dede1:

You are a known revisionist of Ijo extraction who does not need additional clues to engender more damages than required. Definitely, you can not secure such clues from me bros.

I think you've go it confused. I don't think people can make up stories just for political gain with no iota of truth. I had a story which is not exactly the same as yours. I have since realised that we are both rehashing oral traditions which you and I know are normally filled with exaggerations. Therefore, I do NOT believe we are both right. However, I do believe it is necessary to filter the gist handed down by our parents and the truth will emerge.

You have never shifted your stance because you believe you know it all OR your parents do NOT embellish OR my parents are unrepentant LIARS! I do want the truth to surface and would willingly listen to opposing ideas to remove as many lies as possible. Since you won't allow your own story to be dissected, I would let it slide.

Someone once mentioned on this forum that the 'tribal' affiliations Nigerians fight over were alien to our ancestors. I believe that line of thought and if we must make major groupings along these new tribal lines, then marking out generic boundaries would be Impossible as we are using mainly language similarities as our yardstick for assigning villages to 'tribes'.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Batubo(m): 6:16pm On Sep 23, 2011
killayut:

Your Igbo tribalism when we were under  eastern region deprived  us of  education at that time. The KALABARIS / OKRIKAS AND  BONNY  were lucky since they have attained education already before  the eastern Region era and so were able to use that to penetrate  the   Igbo tribalism. and they were clser to the schools in Igbo land . They were able to go to school all the way from  the coast to the Igbo land were the schools were hyjacked to by the Igbo eastern government rulers,  the section of Ijaw that is now BAYELSA WAS the worse hit, EASTERN REGION GOVERNMENT never developed it and that was why ADAKA BORO started his rebelion, It is that same hate and tribalism you nasty fools have till today that you are vexed with Ijaw development, Too bad you can not derail us now, we have come to realize this tribalism thing and we are now ready to face it . watch out for BAYELSA state in another 10 yrs and weep for your IGBO land.

GBAM! true
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by udezue(m): 6:28pm On Sep 23, 2011
Now he is blaming his lack of education on Igbos yet his superior Ijo tribe got educated 1st before the "primitive" Igbos could even smell it? The places and people you mentioned can't even be considered Ijo and are not Ijo. They are a hybrid at best but more of the Igbo and Efik background so maybe that explains again why they are faring way better than your people.

Igbos never denied you access to education. Even Saro Wiwa was head of school prefect @ his school in Igbo land.

Since the Kalabari, Okirika, Opobo people you are now claiming had access to education why didn't your water / tree dwelling people from Bayelsa flood that area to get education? Were Igbos there also blocking them? Truth is that losers will always be losers and that has nothing to do with Igbo people. Even with only 20 pounds, and all the disadvantages of losing a war we are still able to bounce back and surpasss many. What did you do with the stolen properties your fathers acquired in Rivers? Nothing.

Another thing about Kiluyet aka Tom Briggs is that he is partly Igbo but due to extreme hateful indoctrination he can't help it but the Igbo in him. I feel sorry for the character.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by udezue(m): 6:34pm On Sep 23, 2011
lmaoooo @ DEDE  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

He compares wiping asss with leaves vs water like any of it is actually dignifying.  Kaiii I guess it wont be a good idea to jump in a river or worse a pool in Bayelsa state. Na shyt go full am. Civilized indeed.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by udezue(m): 7:01pm On Sep 23, 2011
ChinenyeN:

I knew the way he wrote looked familiar. I've been sitting here trying to place it.

grin grin grin grin His rabid dislike of anything Igbo gave him away.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Dede1(m): 9:55pm On Sep 23, 2011
ow11:

@Dede1

Ama Onye Nabo is Igbo phrase and self explanatory. A person whose compound is swept, weeded, cleaned by the entire members of the community on every stipulated market day is not an ordinary person. “Jojo awughi nwatakiri na Akwete”.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (27) (Reply)

Chibok Girls Rescue: Military Deploys 2 Fighter Jets, 4 Helicopters In Gwoza / President Buhari Receives Prince Charles And Wife In Aso Rock. Photos / Okorocha: Fashola Now Has Gray Hair, 3 Ministries Are Too Large For Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.