Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,245 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:31 AM

What Are The Unique Aspects Of Dating A Nigerian? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Are The Unique Aspects Of Dating A Nigerian? (2896 Views)

When A Girl Is Dating A Guy Who Is Not Ready For Marriage / The Effects Of Dating Who You'll Not Marry / My Experience Dating A Nigerian Police (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Unique Aspects Of Dating A Nigerian? by ashric(f): 10:52pm On Mar 01, 2006
A man is not Nigerian. He has interest in a Nigerian girl but doesn't want to put his foot in his mouth and humiliate himself by being a social/cultural disaster. How would you ladies advise him? Same for you guys. What would you tell the ladies? Ultimately I believe that a person should just be themselves, but one still has to take cultural differences into consideration.

For example, I was raised by my East Indian mother who is very old school. A guy doesn't have to touch her feet but he has to be well-mannered, modest and prove himself capable. With my friends, he could just be himself. What are the peculiarities of dating a Nigerian?
Re: What Are The Unique Aspects Of Dating A Nigerian? by whitelexi(m): 11:01pm On Mar 01, 2006
Tips for u, u may read the full page on: http://jjc2uk.com/NigeriansInLondon.htm

Before you set out, remember a few tips for a successful outing. Since you are going to do some eating, you should better like hot and spicy food because you won’t find cold sandwiches in a Nigerian place. You should also have no aversion for heated arguments and never be in a hurry. Cancel any other appointments you might have for the day, because you won’t make it. Nigerians demand total commitment when socializing and are notorious for their total disregard for time. So leave your watch at home. Nigerians simply cannot let their lives be driven by such a tiny piece of equipment.

The Buka African Kitchen on Kilburn High Road serves a range of Nigerian drinks and dishes, while live performers provide mellow tunes. Mama Calabar in Hendon is famous for its popular traditional Nigerian dishes and local beers. Other locations include the Afri-Carrib in Peckham, Oasis in Kilburn and Frendz in Hendon. Yum Yum in Hackney offers take away only.

As you move into the night, you should head towards Obalende Suya Spot on Kingsland Road in Dalston. Suya is a popular Nigerian meat delicacy, roasted over an open fire with fat or oil, pepper and spices. It comes in a variety of meat products, including chicken, beef, goat meat, ram or pork. Named after Obalende, a popular area of Nigeria’s former capital city, Lagos, reputed for its ‘suya’, London’s Obalende Suya Spot will rekindle your memories of this delicious snack. If you have no memories to rekindle, it can set you off in search of the real thing, but you will require a return ticket to Lagos for that search. A plate of ‘suya’ at Obalende Suya Spot taken with Guinness is a quick trip to heaven.

You want to party? Nigerians love to party. It is their favourite pastime. Just find a Nigerian and he or she will be sure to know on any weekend where a party is happening. The reason might be a baby naming ceremony, a birthday, a remembrance for a late father or mother, or just a group of friends who decide to organize a disco party to spice up the weekend. Everybody is welcomed to come along, whether invited or not. And feel free to bring a friend. If the discussions sound like bitter quarrels, pay no attention. It is just the Nigerian way of letting everyone know that they are having fun.
Re: What Are The Unique Aspects Of Dating A Nigerian? by ashric(f): 11:17pm On Mar 01, 2006
@whitelexi : I printed out your reply for reference and I just had the opportunity to speak with my guy and he said to me "Huh? And what are you going to do with that?" when i asked about some of the hotspots you mentioned. You see, I'm not in nigeria right now and couldn't possibly know these things.

Heated arguments, in my culture, those are for men. When the conversation gets that lively the women go find something to do and leave the men to their talks coming back every once in awhile to bring a beer or some food, etc. (Sounds a little sexist, but I dont mind it.) As far as leaving my watch behind - Never! I feel naked without it! grin
Re: What Are The Unique Aspects Of Dating A Nigerian? by nightrider: 9:57am On Mar 02, 2006
@whitelexi

I absolutely loved your reply. Cuz it's so tru.
But you also forgot to add Nigerian men are affectionate, when they love you it's to the death. Nigerian men love soccer, so get to know about the super eagles. Nigerian men hate cricket. Nigerian men love to be fashionable, show off when they can.
Carry two 2 three phones(Lord knows why), somebody should help me,
Re: What Are The Unique Aspects Of Dating A Nigerian? by shockreaction(m): 10:39am On Mar 02, 2006
Uh, basically, people are different. You're just going to have to find out what's best for you.

@nightrider: I use just a single handset. And I don't like to show off.
Bad generalisation, very bad. In fact, as a rule of thumb, generalisation, isn't, the way, forward. tongue
Re: What Are The Unique Aspects Of Dating A Nigerian? by nightrider: 11:31am On Mar 02, 2006
naturally it can't be evrybody, Brazillians love football , doesnt mean that all brazilians love foot ball, French men are romantic doesn't mean all french men are romantic. Nigerians carry two 2 threee handsets is true, wealthy nigerians carry more than one handset. That is an absolut truth.

nigerians like to show off. Owambe parties spraying money all over the place, doesn't mean all Nigerians show off.
Re: What Are The Unique Aspects Of Dating A Nigerian? by suz: 3:09pm On Mar 02, 2006
nightrider, i think u are right, nigeriens like to show off. more to the point, they are proud and arrogant. but u can find some that are really interesting and kind and even humble!! cool wink smiley cheesy grin cool tongue
Re: What Are The Unique Aspects Of Dating A Nigerian? by Dewumi(m): 3:11pm On Mar 02, 2006
TOAST

cool , to all Nigerian men, PROUDLY NIGERIAN!!! cool
Re: What Are The Unique Aspects Of Dating A Nigerian? by mohid(m): 1:52pm On Mar 04, 2006
nigerian men are never romantic we dont see the point in buying flowers and chocolates at outrageous prices when the money cud b used to get gifts dat re more meaningful .
and no matter wat they tell u d two best ways into a nigerian's heart re his stomach n his mother.once he luvs ur cookin n his mum accepts u then u home n dry.
Re: What Are The Unique Aspects Of Dating A Nigerian? by ashric(f): 11:07pm On Mar 04, 2006
I just have to say that the Nigerian men that I have met thus far have fit your descriptions to a "T". @mohid: I don't see the point in wasting precious money on flowers which wither away and die, or most other frivolous items - although sometimes they are nice.

Now, a possible bone of contention - cooking. Some Nigerian foods are similar to ones I grew up with. In fact, they are the same things, just named differently. The problem is that the dishes that I like, he doesn't and vice versa. I would rather starve that have eba (sp?) and he can survive only on that!

Well, maybe his mother will like me, smiley
Re: What Are The Unique Aspects Of Dating A Nigerian? by chinani(f): 12:05am On Mar 05, 2006
"eba"? what's that? good luck w/ the mom!
Re: What Are The Unique Aspects Of Dating A Nigerian? by IBBFan(m): 12:45am On Mar 05, 2006
y'all should start plannin trips back home
Re: What Are The Unique Aspects Of Dating A Nigerian? by ashric(f): 4:00am On Mar 05, 2006
@ chinani Eba is soup of grated cassava (gari). Not appetizing to me at all.

Whats the diversity like in Nigeria? Lots of different races or just a few mixed in?
Re: What Are The Unique Aspects Of Dating A Nigerian? by IBBFan(m): 9:18am On Mar 05, 2006
eba with egusi soup is my 2nd favorite dish. what will u say when u come across my #1 amala with ewedu?

and for homeland NIGERIA, you'll find mainly just us. but some areas are known for some certain races like indians, lebanese, chinese (there are more of these people than other foreigners).
Re: What Are The Unique Aspects Of Dating A Nigerian? by Shooter: 10:59pm On Dec 31, 2009
Why would I bother I just go 2 Zimbabwe 4 da lose ones

(1) (Reply)

My Girlfriend Is Always Suspecting Me! / Why Do Nigerian Women Pretend / Please Tell Me Why She Doesn"t Want To See Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.