Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,033 members, 7,818,052 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:06 AM

Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" (7294 Views)

Why Do Single Ladies In Nigeria Prefer Dating Married Men? / Are Guys Scared Of Dating Or Marrying Working-Class Ladies? / Will U Prefer Dating A Pretty Angel Ahead Of An Urgly Lady? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by iice(f): 11:36am On Sep 23, 2011
Some parts of my family do the courting thing, as in the old age courting thing. I don't like labels or boxes, never have. So when someone says are you dating, i say no. . .we see each other. Just as i call him a man i'm involved with. Used to drive him nuts tongue I don't think i have the patience or maybe disposition for courtship.
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by Jenifa1: 1:01am On Sep 24, 2011
iice:

Some parts of my family do the courting thing, as in the old age courting thing. I don't like labels or boxes, never have. So when someone says are you dating, i say no. . .we see each other. Just as i call him a man i'm involved with. Used to drive him nuts tongue I don't think i have the patience or maybe disposition for courtship.

lol @ "we see each other" grin

it's all a matter of choice as i can see
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by maryini(f): 12:06pm On Sep 24, 2011
I love that Book!!! "Boys Meets Girl" is a must read 4 christian youths, and yes I concur with d poster I love d concept of courting so I only date with courting in mind and I always say it 4rm day 1.
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by Nobody: 12:45am On Oct 18, 2011
Most of the so called dating in naija na wetin dem dey call chop chop dating.Hunger wan kill the naija babe na im go make am dey husltle and beg a bobo make im carry her go mister biggs grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by lindabon: 5:19pm On Oct 18, 2011
Jenifa_:

we have lost respect for the traditional way and this is why divorce rates are going UP. courting prepares you for marriage. dating prepares you for break-up
Not true. . . .

When you look at the divorce rate in present day marriages, i don't think it's to be blamed on westernisation (in this case, "dating"wink. Who in the past generation would talk about divorce? They don't because the primitive society then attaches so much punishment to leaving one's husband or wife. It was a "taboo".Then, people marry who their society chooses for them, or they just make proposal or accept proposal just for the sake of procreation, which they most times confuse with marriage.
A mother in those days will tell her son,  " I want to have a grandchild". . . the next day, the son goes seeking for a "child manufacturer".
That is why some marriages of our father's have no passion or emotion. You hardly see them holding hands, exchanging affectionate glances or doing anything romantic. it's just "blank".  undecided undecided undecided

My point here is that, the view of marriage then was twisted. . . and there was hardly any way out of marriage, except if the person (especially the woman) wants to be labelled a "public disgrace" or a "product of a failed marriage"! And most people weren't even bothered to opt out (divorce) and the reason for this was because the marriage was built on tolerance and procreation, not love ( the man can beat the woman up to the point of death but the woman will still stick around, silently wait for her next beating) . . . if you don't marry for love, then what exactly will you be "divorcing" from? They just tolerate the person, have kids and that was all marriage was about in those days.

So for me, whether courtship ooo, or dating, i still think the way "most" people do it in present times is way better. I had rather fall in love with someone, marry the person, and maybe have kids, but when ever the marriage fails (lacks love), i quit. Better to have one day of happiness with someone you love and it ends there, than spend the rest of your life making babies with someone you don't love
Marriage is not a do or die affair!
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by matthee(m): 6:36pm On Oct 18, 2011
from dating it could lead to courting, that is when you start hearing He is my Fiance or She is my Fiance. at the end maybe Marriage or that will bethe end of the story if there is any mis-understanding.
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by Nayah(f): 6:56pm On Oct 18, 2011
I really like the first exchanges, when the guy really wants you and is gentleman
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by matthee(m): 7:02pm On Oct 18, 2011
Sure, that is cool. likewise the female
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by askwomen: 9:42pm On Mar 05, 2012
dating is what you do first, "courting" is when the relationship becomes more serious. We explain tons more like this at www.askwomendatingadvice.com
Re: Do You Prefer "dating" Or "courting" by nene1: 5:05am On Mar 06, 2012
I still prefer the traditional way. I only get into a relationship to see if it can lead to marriage. I don't get the point of casual dating. This is why I prefer older men in their 30's as most likely they would be thinking of settling down rather than younger guys who still want to have their fun. I would hate to see our traditional values die out.

(1) (2) (Reply)

It Was an unforgettable and Pleasant Experience Fvcking An Albino. / Please Recommend Any Very Good Novel You've Read Before / My Girlfriend Is Pregnant, Please What Should I Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.