Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,300 members, 7,815,538 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:09 PM

Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? (9687 Views)

First Time Of Sex In Relationships, Why Do Ladies Ask "So What Are We Now?" / Some Ladies Tolerate Abusive Relationships: Why? / University Relationships:why dont they Last? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by Nobody: 7:02am On Sep 15, 2011
Why do people stay in their relationships if they are that damn unhappy. I have seen so many cases even in marriages.

I mean why are they afraid of? Loneliness? Lack of financial support? Or they just believe they can't get better?

Anyone in an unhappy relationship here? Please share your view.
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by bittatruth(m): 9:45am On Sep 15, 2011
Y'know a relationship that has lasted for years and years isn't so easy to say Goodbye to infact it's not easy saying goodbye to most things even the bad.

For most girls it could be insecurity.

For guys could be the benefits and if it's lasted that long lets say 8years then they probably do genuingly love this person and do not want to leave them.

Some people are just delusional tho, how can you be in a 5 - 10 yr relationship and NOTHING crazyyy!!
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by Nobody: 1:44am On Sep 16, 2011
@poster
- some people are unhappy yet still LOVE their partner and therefore hope for a better future.
- some people are unhappy but dishonest and therefore will pretend all is great and you would never know anything is wrong.
- in 9ja, i would certainly understand why a person would be unhappy and stay married "for show". marriage is synonymous with "happiness".
- the religious fanatics would rather die than divorce so they stay in their miserable r/ship and pray for better days.
- it takes a very strong person (or a very bad deed) to walk away from a 5+ yr r/ship. if it's just a temporary unhappiness then it could be salvaged/dealt with, but if it is long term unhappiness then something MUST be fixed!
- for children/family. some people believe it's better to stay for the kids while it's actually worse for them to see their parent fighting/abusing each other and being miserable.
- for comfort. divorce could mean moving back to their parents house so some people rather stay married and miserable.
- and of course MONEY!!!! if someone has been used to the GOOD life, it's hard going back to being a common person!
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by tellwisdom: 2:03am On Sep 16, 2011
Rokiatu, lets start from you first angry angry
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by Lax75(m): 2:05am On Sep 16, 2011
MRbrownJAY:

@poster
- some people are unhappy yet still LOVE their partner and therefore hope for a better future.
- some people are unhappy but dishonest and therefore will pretend all is great and you would never know anything is wrong.
- in 9ja, i would certainly understand why a person would be unhappy and stay married "for show". marriage is synonymous with "happiness".- the religious fanatics would rather die than divorce so they stay in their miserable r/ship and pray for better days.
- it takes a very strong person (or a very bad deed) to walk away from a 5+ yr r/ship. if it's just a temporary unhappiness then it could be salvaged/dealt with, but if it is long term unhappiness then something MUST be fixed!
- for children/family. some people believe it's better to stay for the kids while it's actually worse for them to see their parent fighting/abusing each other and being miserable.
- for comfort. divorce could mean moving back to their parents house so some people rather stay married and miserable.
- and of course MONEY!!!! if someone has been used to the GOOD life, it's hard going back to being a common person!

Bros-man.

Very true in deed. I know too many couples in naija who are married to the public eye, and divorced behind closed doors. You will be amazed to find out some people you even know might be in this category, but because our society is all about "image" they are more concerned about what outsiders think, while they are miserable behind closed doors.
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by MrsChima1(f): 2:13am On Sep 16, 2011
Most people who aren't used to being alone or afraid to be alone will rather stay in an unhappy relationship then be by themselves in peace.
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by Nobody: 2:53am On Sep 16, 2011
Lax75:

Bros-man.

Very true in deed. I know too many couples in naija who are married to the public eye, and divorced behind closed doors. You will be amazed to find out some people you even know might be in this category, but because our society is all about "image" they are more concerned about what outsiders think, while they are miserable behind closed doors.

oh yeah, sadly, i blame SOCIETY and RELIGION for this craze. so many are in abusive r/ship and people will tell them to "pray". any marital issues they will go and talk with their pastor, who in return, will be against divorce whatever the problem is.
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by MrsChima1(f): 2:58am On Sep 16, 2011
MRbrownJAY:

oh yeah, sadly, i blame SOCIETY and RELIGION for this craze. so many are in abusive r/ship and people will tell them to "pray". any marital issues they will go and talk with their pastor, who in return, will be against divorce whatever the problem is.

I am not a big fan of nilly willy divorces however if the woman life is in danger I don't see why she would stay in the marriage knowing damn well she could die any time.

A man is not to put his hand on a woman and vice versa. If a woman has to sleep with one eye open while holding a plastic fork then she need to pack her bags and GO.

Maybe separation from each other while BOTH GET HELP, TREATMENT, SHOT, AND WHATEVER before coming back together. If one is not willing to take the step for improvement then they might as well skip on down to the court house. Because if they remain married somebody going to be D.E.A.D.
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by Lax75(m): 3:10am On Sep 16, 2011
Mrs, Chima:

I am not a big fan of nilly willy divorces however if the woman life is in danger I don't see why she would stay in the marriage knowing damn well she could die any time.

A man is not to put his hand on a woman and vice versa. If a woman has to sleep with one eye open while holding a plastic fork then she need to pack her bags and GO.

Maybe separation from each other while BOTH GET HELP, TREATMENT, SHOT, AND WHATEVER before coming back together. If one is not willing to take the step for improvement then they might as well skip on down to the court house. Because if they remain married somebody going to be D.E.A.D.

Sister Chima.

Maybe you can talk to this woman I know. Her husband almost killed her last year, in addition to keeping a mistress for about 10 years, AND getting the mistress pregnant. He put her (wife) in a coma after beating the "b'Jesus" out of her. I personally have been mad at her for MOVING BACK INTO THAT HOUSE, but she says she does it for her children. My response is what use will she be to the kids if she is DEAD from this man's @ss whoopins
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by MrsChima1(f): 3:19am On Sep 16, 2011
Lax75:

Sister Chima.

Maybe you can talk to this woman I know. Her husband almost killed her last year, in addition to keeping a mistress for about 10 years, AND getting the mistress pregnant. He put her (wife) in a coma after beating the "b'Jesus" out of her. I personally have been mad at her for MOVING BACK INTO THAT HOUSE, but she says she does it for her children. My response is what use will she be to the kids if she is DEAD from this man's @ss whoopins

She is not doing it for the children. She is a battered woman. She is suffering what my colleagues would say, "Battered Woman Syndrome" and it is not so much she like getting her arse whooped it so much that the man brainwashed her so bad that she feels without him she is nothing.

That's what happens when women INVEST so much time into a relationship 100% without allowing the man to put his share in the relationship as well. When I say share meaning not just financially but physically, mentally, spiritually, socially, romantically, emotionally and all other "ally".

She need to be in a battered woman shelter where she will receive counseling and treatment. Yes, I said treatment and i am not talking about medically treatment but therapy related treatment where she will learn to trust HERSELF and LOVE HERSELF.

She doesn't love herself right now and using the children as a reason to be foolish. I strongly advocate the STATES to pass a law that women and men who are in a physically abusive relationship be held for child endangerment and neglect.

She needs to learn it isn't just HER that is being abused her children is affected by it. I feel sorry for those boys who will unfortunately grow up to be just like their father if they do not receive help and the girls who will learn to value her self by the amount of beatings she receive from a man.
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by Lax75(m): 3:29am On Sep 16, 2011
Mrs, Chima:

She is not doing it for the children. She is a battered woman. She is suffering what my colleagues would say, "Battered Woman Syndrome" and it is not so much she like getting her arse whooped it so much that the man brainwashed her so bad that she feels without him she is nothing.

That's what happens when women INVEST so much time into a relationship 100% without allowing the man to put his share in the relationship as well. When I say share meaning not just financially but physically, mentally, spiritually, socially, romantically, emotionally and all other "ally".

She need to be in a battered woman shelter where she will receive counseling and treatment. Yes, I said treatment and i am not talking about medically treatment but therapy related treatment where she will learn to trust HERSELF and LOVE HERSELF.
She doesn't love herself right now and using the children as a reason to be foolish. I strongly advocate the STATES to pass a law that women and men who are in a physically abusive relationship be held for child endangerment and neglect.

She needs to learn it isn't just HER that is being abused her children is affected by it. I feel sorry for those boys who will unfortunately grow up to be just like their father if they do not receive help and the girls who will learn to value her self by the amount of beatings she receive from a man.

But Sis.

This is impossible.

She is in naija. Where these shelters aren't readily available. Sad thing is that the culture would encourage women like this to move back in and beg their husbands, if they ever run away from home. Especially in the Yoruba culture.

I don't know, I can only pray for her. Situation is REALLY bad. Her husband "flaunts" his mistress in her face and he has even built his mistress a N50 million house. He has 10 cars and yet she has to take a taxi to work.
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by MrsChima1(f): 3:33am On Sep 16, 2011
Lax75:

But Sis.

This is impossible.

She is in naija. Where these shelters aren't readily available. Sad thing is that the culture would encourage women like this to move back in and beg their husbands, if they ever run away from home. Especially in the Yoruba culture.

I don't know, I can only pray for her. Situation is REALLY bad. Her husband "flaunts" his mistress in her face and he has even built his mistress a N50 million house. He has 10 cars and yet she has to take a taxi to work.

Oh!  I take back everything I said and SAY SHE poo OF LUCK!   lipsrsealed NO OFFENSE!
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by sexsinners(m): 3:35am On Sep 16, 2011
rokiatu:

Why do people stay in their relationships if they are that damn unhappy. I have seen so many cases even in marriages.

I mean why are they afraid of? Loneliness? Lack of financial support? Or they just believe they can't get better?

Anyone in an unhappy relationship here? Please share your view.

u would be in a happy relationship with me cheesy
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by Nobody: 3:36am On Sep 16, 2011
reminds me of an episode of the Boondocks, focus on the "spiritual abuse" at the 40sec mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCKxp2yMa2c
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by MMM2(m): 3:38am On Sep 16, 2011
just 4 for d fun & d free nyashing angry
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by Lax75(m): 3:51am On Sep 16, 2011
Mrs, Chima:

Oh! I take back everything I said and SAY SHE poo OF LUCK! lipsrsealed NO OFFENSE!

Sis,

You're the craziest!

But true-true.
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by MrsChima1(f): 4:05am On Sep 16, 2011
Lax75:

Sis,

You're the craziest!

But true-true.

Mr. Chima tell me that all the time but he ain't stopped asking for no nooky either. lipsrsealed
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by Nobody: 4:25am On Sep 16, 2011
Thanks BrowJay. Perfectly well said.

sexsinners:

u would be in a happy relationship with me cheesy
shocked shocked shocked I thought this was the Pastor son who do not even look at women? grin
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by Lax75(m): 4:34am On Sep 16, 2011
rokiatu:

Thanks BrowJay. Perfectly well said.

shocked shocked shocked I thought this was the Pastor son who do not even look at women? grin

Sister Roki.

Why post such a picture?

I am trying to save myself for marriage and abstain from unclean thoughts but the way that thing is poking out from behind your skirt isn't helping. cry

I mean dang!
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by MrsChima1(f): 4:40am On Sep 16, 2011
Somebody is going to hell.
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by Nobody: 6:32am On Sep 16, 2011
@Lax, sorry ooo LOL.
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by Nobody: 6:41am On Sep 16, 2011
MRbrownJAY:

@poster
- in 9ja, i would certainly understand why a person would be unhappy and stay married "for show". marriage is synonymous with "happiness".
- the religious fanatics would rather die than divorce so they stay in their miserable r/ship and pray for better days.

^^^^^
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by itiswell1(m): 6:44am On Sep 16, 2011
I have been in a relationship before and my spouse was unhappy for a long time all because the relationship became dry. She wanted to leave but could not. After i found back my rythm, wow u need to see us now.
i asked her why she didnt leave during those turbulent time, she said something held her back. At least, no be say i get money.
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by pendo89(f): 6:59am On Sep 16, 2011
I have experienced one before but I held on cz I kept saying he would change but it got worse by the day.
What is more sickening is when the dude admits hes got a problem but he cant do anything about it.His only way of venting out anger/stress is by way of abuse.

MRbrownJAY:

Exactly.That is why I have become a W.A.W soldier. grin. Some teachings are not practical in some situations.
A ' stingy' boyfriend where is lovegal grin is 100 times better than a violent one.

@ Lax. That is a pretty sad story. What makes me sick is that people hold on till they kill each other .Then what next? They live orphans behind.

I love what one phil said. Its worse bringing up kids in a hostile war like environment with 2 parents than in a single parent home.

Violence/abuse is a silent killer.
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by Nobody: 7:04am On Sep 16, 2011
pendo89:

I have been in an abusive relationship but I held on cz I kept saying he would change but it got worse by the day.
What is worse is when the dude admits hes got a problem but he cant do anything about it.His only way of venting out anger/stress is by way of violence.

uote]

My experience too pendo. At least we have moved on.
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by pendo89(f): 7:10am On Sep 16, 2011
^^ smiley wise and strong now.
Fear and being naive is another culprit.We tend to fear the person we are in relationship with.
I dont even know where the fear emanates from but I think its cz you surrender your will to the person and he controls you. You become a puppet he can manipulate at will.
I d rather date the devil than a violent man.
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by Nobody: 7:23am On Sep 16, 2011
^^^ stronger,wiser, yes! There is no going back.
In my case it was "normal" for me to tolerate and keep forgiving because of my upbringing. Now I know it is not the way things should be.
Intimidation can make you tip toe around so not to unleash the temper thus becoming like the "puppet"
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by pendo89(f): 7:31am On Sep 16, 2011
^^ I discovered one thing. People especially grownups don't change.Change is foreign to us.
You lie to yourself when you keep hoping for change esp in an unhappy relationship.
Yeah it may happen but only in few cases where people are 'willing to change.' If I see no willingness I step.
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by Nobody: 7:38am On Sep 16, 2011
I totally agree and have also come to the conclusion that people just dont change. Especially in cases of their temperment. Hope is futile.
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by ebonyvibe(f): 9:37am On Sep 16, 2011
I am in an unhappy relationship and i thin by now the whole of NL knows it  (not due to domestic violence).

My reasons are it is easy to stay more difficuilt to go. We live in the same house no sex he stys in one room and I stay in another.

I dont cook for him he doesnt give me money we understand each other. If he likes let him come back the following morning if i feel like it i say welcome if i dont i just go to work.

I am not having and affair and couldnt care less if he is atleast i dont know for certain. The thing is no one will know outside that our marriage is on all a front. My friend was talking to me the other day and prayed for my kind of marriage i looked at her and just laughed and said be careful what u wish for.

I think i am kinda waiting for him to start the divorce proceedings i cant be asked to do i think cos am not seeing anyone but will happily sign if he were to process it.
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by pendo89(f): 9:52am On Sep 16, 2011
^^ jeez. is there no way to mend this?  I mean if hes not violent or abusive what could be worse than that? have you tried all options and failed cz divorce should be considered as the last option.
Thats a pathetic situation to find urself in. Strangers living under one roof.
Am sorry for you. But share with somebody close and mature cz this marriage of yours has cancer and needs urgent chemo.
Re: Unhappy Relationships: Why Stay In It? by Nobody: 10:12am On Sep 16, 2011
Mrs, Chima:

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Thread For Non Nigerian Women Who Have Succesful Relationships With Nigerians / How To Make A Girl Forget Her Boyfriend And Fall Deeply in love with you / Beautifully Endowed Slay Mamas Showing Off Her Heavy Backside In A Lovely Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.