Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,270 members, 7,811,792 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:38 PM

Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, (25480 Views)

I've Had 170 Children And I'm Not Going To Stop - British Man / Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? / Second Born Children Are More Rebellious And Prone To Criminal Act (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by olisaEze(m): 4:25pm On Jun 21, 2023
grin

4 Likes

Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by JuanDeDios: 4:25pm On Jun 21, 2023
KanwuliaExtra:
From ages 10 and above, children should not be spanked.

1. Children are prone to disobedient behaviors and are not fully developed cognitively to understand consequences of their actions.
Spanking children under 10 should be avoided and used only as a last resort for correcting bad behavior.

2. Children above 10 are naturally stubborn and will become immune to spanking having received spankings for the first 10 years of their lives.
They actually brace themselves for the spankings and damn the consequences.

3. Spanking should be stopped entirely when a child reaches teenage years. At this rebellious stage, you should be ready for WAR! Spanking is never the answer.

You constantly have to battle between trying to protect your young children and throwing in the towel. Many families have opted for sending their children to boarding schools or abroad to pass off the responsibilty to others to save the situation.

2 is one of the reasons spanking isn't right at any age - for kids aged 0, 10 or 17. There are others. Say no to spanking.
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by Sososo(f): 4:25pm On Jun 21, 2023
KanwuliaExtra:

You don try to pursue hefty teenage boys or girls around the house before? cheesy
Noboby will tell you to respect your 'cholesterol level' ke!
You go feel your whole heart dey beat KPIM KPIM KPIM KPIM for inside your eyes, nose ears and mouth walahi.
Na real work out! cheesy
Na so the ijjjjiots go dey run upandan. . .kon dey kick legs like drug addicts!

Mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!!!!
🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by JuanDeDios: 4:26pm On Jun 21, 2023
KanwuliaExtra:
How do you cope?

I am a very strong supporter of given extra chores around the house and DOUBLING UP ON HOMEWORK. Unfortunately, places like Nigeria are not equipped with recreational activities and lack of surveillance equipment to monitor in and out of your home 24/7.
I got tired of beating and beating and beating. . . Absolutely NO EFFECT. In fact, I was the one that was suffering with the chances of having a stroke. grin
Oh, there's home surveillance equipment in Nigeria.
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by ednut1(m): 4:28pm On Jun 21, 2023
If they want war you guy them war. Spankings should end like 15. At that age he can fend for himself abroad. If you misbehave get out of my house 👹
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by sportskid(m): 4:31pm On Jun 21, 2023
There is no alternative to spanking. Flogging is the fastest way to reset a child's operating system. I am against violence or brutality. But discipline involves spanking

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by Judolisco(m): 4:33pm On Jun 21, 2023
It's 2 late.... Na from small dem dey correct kid... Once dem Don reach 10 or 13 yrs and u can't correct them with your speech alone... Then u r in soup
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by Petrepan231: 4:37pm On Jun 21, 2023
Pls and pls...anybody ,anyone. To assist me with any amount.. haven't eaten all day...,no parents no.work ..,have been looking for work and haven't seen any ... ......2002159252 .kuda bank...pls if u can help me with any work I will so much appreciate also..
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jun 21, 2023
Omo. Spank them ooh. That is the only language they understand at that stage. If they misroad at that stage, it will take a miracle to fix.
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by delpee(f): 4:42pm On Jun 21, 2023
Wow! Just seeing this.

Bringing up kids in today's world is tough. It's never been easy but this millennium and Gen Z kids (or wetin una dey call dem) are something else. They always outsmart their parents and feel so entitled.

Una well done o. More power to your elbows and wisdom to your minds. May God continue to guide and protect you all from all troubles. May the children be sources of joy and blessings to you. Amen

I wish I could drop some words of advice. Unfortunately, everything that comes to mind can be listed as child abuse today. Flogging, kneeling down etc for instance.
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by NOwazobia: 4:44pm On Jun 21, 2023
No alternative was mentioned as against the headline of the thread.

Na wa ooo... undecided

Though I am not a fan of corporal punishment.

I taught for 3 months in a private school during one of the ASUU strikes back then when I had to visit home, and never for once did I go or accepted a Cain in my class, until the last day of my stay in the school when I needed to tell two over-fed he goats who got rowdy and physical in my class, even while telling them to stop (they have been quite rude during my time in the school, but I was just enduring with them all along).

Gad! That day, I told them I am not dumb for not bringing a Cain to the class room, and not punishing anyone through other means.

Many teachers and students were shocked that very day, so this guy is like this! shocked

It was my farewell revelation... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by delpee(f): 4:47pm On Jun 21, 2023
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by Sweetvie: 4:49pm On Jun 21, 2023
Dogo246:
Omo. Spank them ooh. That is the only language they understand at that stage. If they misroad at that stage, it will take a miracle to fix.
Spanking doesn't work on teen again. Odeshi grin
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jun 21, 2023
Sweetvie:
Spanking doesn't work on teen again. Odeshi grin

Your not doing it well. You're a woman. That's why. Tell your husband to help you.

1 Like

Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by Pacyrus(m): 4:59pm On Jun 21, 2023
You ended up without another solution
KanwuliaExtra:

1. Children are prone to disobedient behaviors and are not fully developed cognitively to understand consequences of their actions.
Spanking children under 10 should be avoided and used only as a last resort for correcting bad behavior.

2. Children above 10 are naturally stubborn and will become immune to spanking having received spankings for the first 10 years of their lives.

3. Spanking should be stopped entirely when a child reaches teenage years. At this rebellious stage, you should be ready for WAR! Spanking is never the answer.

You constantly have to battle between trying to protect your young children and throwing in the towel. Many families have opted for sending their children to boarding schools or abroad to pass off the responsibilty to others to save the situation.

Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by Sweetvie: 4:59pm On Jun 21, 2023
Dogo246:

Your not doing it well. You're a woman. That's why. Tell your husband to help you.
Lol. Ok grin
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by SayNo2SmallPrik: 5:00pm On Jun 21, 2023
Omo naija just boring. After person don go lekki, nothing remain Chaii
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by Angelicqueen(f): 5:02pm On Jun 21, 2023
My sis same here

I tell you,it ain't easy.i have stopped spanking my kids,except in rare cases where my palm go just mistakenly moves.

What I do is talk,and talk,most times I would just ignore them completely and whistle.

Blackmailing them emotionally and citing references works on them better.[/quote]
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by LordErrk: 5:07pm On Jun 21, 2023
KanwuliaExtra:

Come to find out you can obtain the Wi-Fi password FROM THE TV!
I changed password taya ke! grin

I also had to get a separate router for my security system and TV locked up in my room.

They graduated to disconnecting it and shutting everything down, do the security and phone systems will go down like NIGERIAN BVAS! angry

Omo. You're scaring me o. You're seriously scaring me. How do you now want to train children if they keep getting smarter than you? Shey I will kids kids like this ni?
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by Angelicqueen(f): 5:07pm On Jun 21, 2023
Hahahaha , in fact I stopped beating my 14 year old son the day my heart was beating as if I was chased by a mad cow. No be small thing

You don try to pursue hefty teenage boys or girls around the house before? cheesy
You go feel your whole heart dey beat KPIM KPIM KPIM KPIM for inside your eyes, nose ears and mouth walahi.
Na real work out! cheesy

Mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!!!![/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by Pacyrus(m): 5:09pm On Jun 21, 2023
My late father, in the 80s, would rather wait until it's midnight. He wakes you up, reminds you of your misdemeanor; then he now asks you to lie on the table, requests the help of my senior siblings, they will now pin down both hands and legs. However, after the severe trashing nobody would tell you to behave next time. Old school life was the best.
KanwuliaExtra:

Na real work out! cheesy

Mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by asomatc(m): 5:10pm On Jun 21, 2023
Use Negative Reinforcement
KanwuliaExtra:

Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by stanliwise(m): 5:11pm On Jun 21, 2023
ahnie:
I tell you,it ain't easy.i have stopped spanking my kids,except in rare cases where my palm go just mistakenly moves.

What I do is talk,and talk,most times I would just ignore them completely and whistle.

Blackmailing them emotionally and citing references works on them better.
Blackmailing and comparing them has long side effect as the start to age. Sometimes they begin to believe what you use to say just out of anger.

It’s better you let them take responsibility and possibly let understand the consequences of decisions making and actions taken.
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by Pacyrus(m): 5:14pm On Jun 21, 2023
Na rebels just full ur house. grin
KanwuliaExtra:

Corrrrrect!

I will NEVER send dem to boarding school lai lai!

I go raid dem room carry dem phone for night.
OMO! Westin my eyes see dia ehn? shocked
Even me for dis age konnot compete!

I just confiscated ALL PHONES JEJE and removed them from my family plan.

Then they graduated to stealing discarded phones or borrowed discarded phones from their classmates to tap into my Wi-Fi shocked

APC - INEC C-R-I-M-I-N-A-L-S!!!! grin

Thank my Gad I am techno savvy!
I activated my parental control feature on my home network and disconnected ALL DEVICES I DID NOT RECOGNIZE.✅ Dem weak!
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by neonly: 5:32pm On Jun 21, 2023
Beremx:
The way my son proves stubborn at 7years, I have handed the spanking to his father who he took after his character. My hand no dey again

Dat emotional backmail I hope yur husband knows dat
Spanking should be done by both parties
Don't allow d child to grow up thinking my father is wicked we d men knows dat know
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by Neddyogu(m): 5:33pm On Jun 21, 2023
-In a still, small voice, ask rebellious teen to ‘come and take’.
-As soon as rebel is within arm reach, release full backhand whoozing on his/her face but avoid open mouth so as not to be injured by their teeth and to avoid serious injuries both to the whoozer and the recepient.

NB: the whoozing must be blitzkrieg fast

1 Like

Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 5:38pm On Jun 21, 2023
Beremx:
The way my son proves stubborn at 7years, I have handed the spanking to his father who he took after his character. My hand no dey again

Perfect!

A man matches up that ego and calms it down.

Why you can never overrule the importance of a man at home.

My hommies always humble. They know their dad can go from 0 to 700 in micro seconds. They never always want that smoke.
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by neonly: 5:41pm On Jun 21, 2023
Nazgul:
For children below 10...they're mostly influenced by their peers, so you have to mind the kind of school you enrol them into, study their behavior after few weeks in the school, always check their pockets and bags whenever they come back from school and question then thoroughly whenever you find any odd item you know you didn't buy for them.

Teach them sex education as well, especially your daughters. Make sure they're able to identify their public and private parts and know that no one should touch their private parts. If they fall into the hands of perverts, it certainly would affect their attitude.

For teenagers...12 and above. At this stage, most especially when they start getting to 15, 16, 17 and 18...your ability to control them effectively would depend on how well you live by the rules you set for them. You can't tell them one thing and do another, this is why relationships experts are always of the opinion that children from broken homes tend to become bad spouses that children from good homes.

I disagree bro
Children raised by feminist you say not by real men
Real men live by example and they will automatically follow d rules
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 5:42pm On Jun 21, 2023
ednut1:
If they want war you guy them war. Spankings should end like 15. At that age he can fend for himself abroad. If you misbehave get out of my house 👹

A child who is stubborn in your presence has 90% chance of becoming a thug abroad. You only fueling situation.

When the likes of them get absolute freedom, they go wild, and with the wrong company, they did make it to jail before 20.

1 Like

Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by adabaraabdul: 5:58pm On Jun 21, 2023
ahnie:

Blackmailing them emotionally and citing references works on them better.
lol, when they are grown they might complain of how u messed with their mental health. This our generation😀😀
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jun 21, 2023
I'll spank my girl child more than my boy so she won't turn to a evening newspaper

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

When Should A Child Stop Using Pampers? / Court Dissolves 25-year-old Marriage Over Wife’s Lateness In Preparing Meals / Nigerian Couple Welcome First Child Abroad After 30 Years Of Barrenness. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.