Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,990 members, 7,810,764 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:54 PM

Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, (25468 Views)

I've Had 170 Children And I'm Not Going To Stop - British Man / Is Spanking A Child Good Or Bad? / Second Born Children Are More Rebellious And Prone To Criminal Act (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by pheelbert: 6:07pm On Jun 21, 2023
Take the child to the barracks. Shock that demon in the child.
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by Procashtips(m): 6:13pm On Jun 21, 2023
SayNo2SmallPrik:
Omo naija just boring. After person don go lekki, nothing remain Chaii
There are fun places on the mainland too only if you can search.
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by Tommydare(m): 6:19pm On Jun 21, 2023
Spanking works for some children baba...Dem fear beating pass anything....but anyways different punishment for different offense. Where you need to spank, you can't give him house chores to do.
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by matm: 6:41pm On Jun 21, 2023
MrBrownJay1:

in this day and age, take away their fancy gadgets (phone/tablets/playstation etc) and/or take away their play time and instead punish them with house chores etc
sending a child to boarding school is BY FAR the worst move ever.

You haven't seen stubborn teens.Give him house chores, he won't do it.Take away his phone? The one u bought for him or the one he bought himself?
It's like adding fuel to fire .
Talk is cheap.
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by matm: 6:42pm On Jun 21, 2023
MrBrownJay1:

in this day and age, take away their fancy gadgets (phone/tablets/playstation etc) and/or take away their play time and instead punish them with house chores etc
sending a child to boarding school is BY FAR the worst move ever.

You haven't seen stubborn teens.Give him house chores, he won't do it.Take away his phone? The one u bought for him or the one he bought himself?
It's like adding fuel to fire .
Talk is cheap.
Many a times, ur teen only bends in d hands of someone else and not in ur hands
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by Cromagnon: 6:54pm On Jun 21, 2023
ahnie:
I tell you,it ain't easy.i have stopped spanking my kids,except in rare cases where my palm go just mistakenly moves.

What I do is talk,and talk,most times I would just ignore them completely and whistle.

Blackmailing them emotionally and citing references works on them better.
this is how school shooters are made
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by matm: 6:55pm On Jun 21, 2023
Sanguine:
Wow! KanwuliaExtra! 👏👏
You are indeed extra, I must commend!
All these measures are even more effective than spanking or flogging. I think children tend to develop a tough skin sort of, and get used to flogging so it doesn't have any effect anymore after sometime.

I remember growing up, my dad would always flog my elder brother because he was one recalcitrant child, but my brother after all the serious beating o, he will still go right back to doing that very thing he was floggged for.😂

But this your way is really tough and strict Sha o 😁. And I'm learning much though. I think I'd like to adopt some of these measures in due time. I'm very sure your kids will appreciate all that you do now much later when they're older and more mature.

Somebody said, you are a parent to your kids, not "a friend". So you as a parent should do all that you need do for their own good, whether they like it or not. In fact sef, the more they don't like it the better. Las Las it is for their own good ultimately and everybody go dey aweright.

God forbid that I raise a useless child.
Well done ma. 🙂

.Neighbours will blame u for discipline of ur child and tell them u are being wicked to them .The same neighbours will blame u and laugh at u when they go wayward and begin to put u from one police case to another.
I have seen many parents sleep in police cell b/c of what their teens committed thereby becoming a laughing stock to their neighbours.

Lesson: know what works for u and follow it.
No rule for parenting

2 Likes

Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by Image123(m): 7:02pm On Jun 21, 2023
The OP is steadily raising criminals. The only thing stopping them from public crime will be the same discipline that they fear and innovative methods of reducing corruption in society, like checks and balances, cameras and other technology that are not as easy to hack into like the ones that they are already fiddling with at home.
Spanking is best for children below teenage years. But not just spanking and not vindictive, angry spanking. There's corrective spanking that even the child knows it's out of love and to correct him/her.
It's not everything that is punishment, whether by spanking or chores or denial of privileges. Children need to grow up in an atmosphere of love, trust and godliness. They will not depart from this.
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by KoladeChris24(m): 7:06pm On Jun 21, 2023
ahnie:
I tell you,it ain't easy.i have stopped spanking my kids,except in rare cases where my palm go just mistakenly moves.

What I do is talk,and talk,most times I would just ignore them completely and whistle.

Blackmailing them emotionally and citing references works on them better.

How do you blackmail them emotionally?
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by Image123(m): 7:11pm On Jun 21, 2023
Pacyrus:
Na rebels just full ur house. grin

Don't mind the OP. Raising criminals and openly telling us with glee that he doesn't spank. Of course, don't spank adults. They should have been spanked from 1year old to like 12, in their formative and flexible years. Not coming here to gaslight us like all is well in his home.
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by mediclife1987(m): 7:13pm On Jun 21, 2023
KanwuliaExtra:

I dey show dem ke. . . .

1. They must wash all bathrooms in the house. . . ALL 4 EVERY WEDNESDAY.
2. They must wash all clothes EVERY FRIDAY.
3. They must baff the dog EVERY SUNDAY.
4 They must sweep the front and back of the house and mow the lawn EVERY SATURDAY

If they refuse nko?
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by mediclife1987(m): 7:16pm On Jun 21, 2023
KanwuliaExtra:

Corrrrrect!

I will NEVER send dem to boarding school lai lai!

I go raid dem room carry dem phone for night.
OMO! Westin my eyes see dia ehn? shocked
Even me for dis age konnot compete!

I just confiscated ALL PHONES JEJE and removed them from my family plan.

Then they graduated to stealing discarded phones or borrowed discarded phones from their classmates to tap into my Wi-Fi shocked

APC - INEC C-R-I-M-I-N-A-L-S!!!! grin

Thank my Gad I am techno savvy!
I activated my parental control feature on my home network and disconnected ALL DEVICES I DID NOT RECOGNIZE.✅ Dem weak!

Una just dey scare me to raise kids.

Me wey shy like craze. Them go just ride over me till I vex beat craze comot for their body.

I have this feeling if I beat my kid just once, hin no go EVER try rubbish again, cos I go beat am like tif.
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by Obnoxious2001(m): 7:22pm On Jun 21, 2023
From experience it's best you give punishment (carry a stool, frog jump etc) only flog when they bring down the stool etc (obviously there is a time attached) or transfer the house chores of the other to the one been punished.

Children Cherish freedom (I do when I was younger) ...

I will prefer to be flogged than punished because the pain of punishment doesn't fade away easily

2 Likes

Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by Mrpojj(m): 7:24pm On Jun 21, 2023
KanwuliaExtra:
From ages 10 and above, children should not be spanked.

1. Children are prone to disobedient behaviors and are not fully developed cognitively to understand consequences of their actions.
Spanking children under 10 should be avoided and used only as a last resort for correcting bad behavior.

2. Children above 10 are naturally stubborn and will become immune to spanking having received spankings for the first 10 years of their lives.
They actually brace themselves for the spankings and damn the consequences.

3. Spanking should be stopped entirely when a child reaches teenage years. At this rebellious stage, you should be ready for WAR! Spanking is never the answer.

You constantly have to battle between trying to protect your young children and throwing in the towel. Many families have opted for sending their children to boarding schools or abroad to pass off the responsibilty to others to save the situation.

Clap for your self
I will discipline till they become adult
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by lotkyes200: 7:29pm On Jun 21, 2023
Flogging has a vital role to play a rode of correction drive away foolishness from the heart of a child . Then add more chores to it.

4 Likes

Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by dvkot(m): 7:36pm On Jun 21, 2023
There's no alternative spank them it won't kill them

1 Like

Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by Tzar(m): 7:51pm On Jun 21, 2023
Spare the rod and spoil the child! This is knowledge that is thousands of years old….

1 Like

Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by matm: 8:34pm On Jun 21, 2023
sportskid:
There is no alternative to spanking. Flogging is the fastest way to reset a child's operating system. I am against violence or brutality. But discipline involves spanking

You are right.We are Africans and not Americans.
No one has time for bulshit seize toy or phone which doesn't work for African kids.
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by Ortintin: 8:41pm On Jun 21, 2023
The best way to punish children and adults is to confine them to a space. For kids let them kneel and face the wall for 30-60mins iy bores them and they have enough time to reflect on what they hv done. If they keep making the same mistake keep giving the same punishment. For teens bigger punishments like frog jumps, stood down etc for 30mins should reset their brain.

In short avoid beating. And mostly talk to them and give punishment.
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by Georgejeez: 9:00pm On Jun 21, 2023
The alternative is flogging
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by Yankee101: 9:08pm On Jun 21, 2023
Please spank them

Spare the rod and spoil the child
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by abbey621(m): 9:26pm On Jun 21, 2023
Modern parents must be jack of all trades......80% communicator (E.g. When they misbehave, start with genesis, give him or her the story of their lives, narrate the story of the prodigal son while they stand with leg ache through the lecture, after 2 hours, double their chores and take away tv/entertainment, etc)

15% smacking or spanking( Extremely bad behavior, that devil in him or her must komot by fire by thunder grin and

5% MO LE WA KU(I CAN'T KILL MYSELF)........Grab a plate of jollof rice and turkey, beer/wine and GBOJU!

Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by KanwuliaExtra: 9:47pm On Jun 21, 2023
mediclife1987:

If they refuse nko?

They have the right to refuse.
I will reserve the right not to take them to take them to any birthday parties or after school programs requiring my services too.

They also get to eat only cereal for breakfast and PB&J sandwiches and banana for dinner X1 week.

They will only smell good food coming from the kitchen but cannot eat it.

Besides. I can always disconnect THEIR router.
No long talk!

3 Likes

Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by KanwuliaExtra: 9:55pm On Jun 21, 2023
mediclife1987:

Una just dey scare me to raise kids.

Me wey shy like craze. Them go just ride over me till I vex beat craze comot for their body.

I have this feeling if I beat my kid just once, hin no go EVER try rubbish again, cos I go beat am like tif.

Lessons learned?
You can never predict where children will take you till events unfold. The will keep changing and you will have to deal with every new drama eventually culminating in an ongoing love-hate relationship. It will get to the point you will totally forget they are yours.😂

All you will keep asking yourself is: “Na dream I dey dream or is this punishment for sins I AM YET TO COMMIT”?

You will REGRET having them MOST TIMES!✅

I am soooooooo lucky I was raised by a single dad, so all that maternal-emotional bull-SHYTE never flies with me. If dem cry, I nor dey pity dem atol atol.

When dem dey do their own mess, dem dey pity person?😀

When dia in sifia pains, I tell them to “CALL TYRONE”! I enter my room and sleep SOUNDLY!!!!

Shiiiiiiioooooor. . . . .

2 Likes

Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by KanwuliaExtra: 10:03pm On Jun 21, 2023
matm:

.Neighbours will blame u for discipline of ur child and tell them u are being wicked to them .The same neighbours will blame u and laugh at u when they go wayward and begin to put u from one police case to another.
I have seen many parents sleep in police cell b/c of what their teens committed thereby becoming a laughing stock to their neighbours.

Lesson: know what works for u and follow it.
No rule for parenting

Neighbors mind thieir businesses here o.
They will NEVER interfere.
They will sit in their living rooms and be looking at feee show.😆

They will not say PHIM!

Dem get dem own drama ke!
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by KanwuliaExtra: 10:08pm On Jun 21, 2023
Pacyrus:
Na rebels just full ur house. grin

Rebels good.

These are DEMONS’
If you look dem eyes sometimes, fear go catch you.

Arrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhh

Just like the other before them, this TWO shalt passeth OUT OF MY HOUSE!!!!!

Na dis useless TikTok age I nor understand and will never understand.
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by KanwuliaExtra: 10:10pm On Jun 21, 2023
Mrpojj:

Clap for your self
I will discipline till they become adult

Please, put eye well well o.
One parent MUST be present AT ALL TIMES!
Never take your eyes OFF them.✅

2 Likes

Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by KanwuliaExtra: 10:12pm On Jun 21, 2023
asomatc:
Use Negative Reinforcement

Explain please. To make sure I understand.
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by KanwuliaExtra: 10:18pm On Jun 21, 2023
Pacyrus:
My late father, in the 80s, would rather wait until it's midnight. He wakes you up, reminds you of your misdemeanor; then he now asks you to lie on the table, requests the help of my senior siblings, they will now pin down both hands and legs. However, after the severe trashing nobody would tell you to behave next time. Old school life was the best.

This na pure cruelty.
Will not work now o.
All you are teaching them is to come GUN you down when you are sleeping.

Please, I want to sleep with my eyes closed PEACEFULLY every night.

You don’t watch what children can do to parents on TV? shocked Some will just organize with their hood rats of gangs delete you jejely!🙆🏿

As they get older. . . . Be very KIAFOOOOOOOO

I want them to see consequences of their actions, not inflict physical pain o.

Inflicting any form of physical pain in ANY child is not a form of discipline. I have since learned that.✅
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by KanwuliaExtra: 10:20pm On Jun 21, 2023
LordErrk:

Omo. You're scaring me o. You're seriously scaring me. How do you now want to train children if they keep getting smarter than you? Shey I will kids kids like this ni?

The WAR is real!
You just learn to pick which battles YOU CAN WIN.
Shikena.
Re: Alternatives To Spanking Children And Dealing With Rebellious Tweens And Teens, by mediclife1987(m): 10:41pm On Jun 21, 2023
KanwuliaExtra:

They have the right to refuse.
I will reserve the right not to take them to take them to any birthday parties or after school programs requiring my services too.

They also get to eat only cereal for breakfast and PB&J sandwiches and banana for dinner X1 week.

They will only smell good coming from the kitchen but cannot eat it.

Besides. I can always disconnect my router.
No long talk!

Omoor parenting for Oyinbo land hard oh.
And na where me wan come settle down for eternity be this.
Make God gimme pikin wey no go Kee me or vice versa oh sad

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

When Should A Child Stop Using Pampers? / Court Dissolves 25-year-old Marriage Over Wife’s Lateness In Preparing Meals / Nigerian Couple Welcome First Child Abroad After 30 Years Of Barrenness. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.