Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,351 members, 7,815,717 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:04 PM

Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux (51066 Views)

Unilever Nigeria Reports Significant Revenue And Profit Growth In 2023 / Unilever Nigeria Stops Production, Sales Of Omo, Lux / Unilever Nigeria Plc Reports 72.95% Decline In Pre-tax Profit As Economy Bites (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by frozen70(f): 1:43am On Mar 28, 2023
SPF247:
Time to float my company and beat magik company hands down, who knows the formula? Let's partner grin

To me Magik has the best powdered soap which foams very well and has good fragrance

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by COMPAQ(m): 1:51am On Mar 28, 2023
omonnakoda:

People do not have economic power by magic.. Wealth does not come before economies grow. It can happen ssimultaneously
Consumption can be powered by credit just like production
More and more people falling into poverty does not mean companies will go down. More and more people getting poor can happen at exactly the same time as more people getting rich
Ever heard of rich getting richer and poor getting poorer.
That is not basic economics. It is nonsense

There are so many different companies not all produce for the poor
I
Samsung can produce 50000 acs in Nigeria even if Nigerians buy none as long as they can sell them somewhere else.
Production does not have to be for local consumption
It is clear you think you know economics but not nearly As much as you imagine

Seems you also think a bit too highly of yourself.

No doubt production doesn't have to be for local consumption, but if you then plan to export, then it brings me back to my original point that we have to conform to the standards of those we are exporting to! A point you tried to put down by saying we have a large population! So what exactly are you saying Mr Economics Professor!

As for your logic that a Samsung could potentially produce in Nigeria and export it all even if we were not buying anything. Absolutely, that might be correct,but we all know Nigeria has poor factors of production. Nigeria is nowhere near ready in any ramification (electricity, skilled labour, economic & fiscal policy, transportation, ports, iron ore, aluminium etc) to be a producer for the world, especially in highly competitive products like FMCG.

Next!?

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by COMPAQ(m): 2:03am On Mar 28, 2023
COMPAQ:

Seems you also think a bit too highly of yourself.

No doubt production doesn't have to be for local consumption, but if you then plan to export, then it brings me back to my original point that we have to conform to the standards of those we are exporting to! A point you tried to put down by saying we have a large population! So what exactly are you saying Mr Economics Professor!

As for your logic that a Samsung could potentially produce in Nigeria and export it all even if we were not buying anything. Absolutely, that might be correct,but we all know Nigeria has poor factors of production. Nigeria is nowhere near ready in any ramification (electricity, skilled labour, economic & fiscal policy, transportation, ports, iron ore, aluminium etc) to be a producer for the world, especially in highly competitive products like FMCG.

Next!?

And let me add that the rich getting richer adds little to no value to the productive base of the economy. Afterall how many cars, houses,appliances etc will they buy?

The economy is better served with 100mln people in Nigeria being worth N10mln each, than 10mln Nigerians being worth N100bln each, cos the 100mln individuals will buy far more.

2 Likes

Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by hakeemhakeem(m): 2:26am On Mar 28, 2023
Karrima:
Companies are closing. More companies will close. The emergency of someone with the reputation of ruling with thuggery as the PRESIDENT-SELECT will spell doom to the economy of Nigeria. A costly mistake for Nigeria and Nigerians.
Did you read the article at all two things that was like to make them dropped those products
1.more detergent are in circulation
2.a lot of our girls are now making/mixing their choice of soaps in skin care outlets even creams

2 Likes

Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by Justice179: 2:56am On Mar 28, 2023
E be like say your friend for Unilever no gree dash you money..... Bad belle smelling

quote author=maleekberry post=122107623]It's a pity undecided

Sometimes I wonder why all these big multinationals can't do what other smaller companies are doing to survive undecided

See smaller brands like waw,viva, good mama,unik bathing soap, hawaii soap, Eva soap are all cashing out and making huge sales in this bad economy nah him Unilever dey phase out some household products. Nah wa

These big companies should better stop paying all these their staffs fat salaries for doing nothing undecided

They should divert those monies to marketing. They should recruit boys and girls on the street and use them to do aggressive marketing. Can't they learn from the way waw they do street marketing.[/quote]
Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by drololaaof: 3:18am On Mar 28, 2023
accordadoga24:
Toor... Na caustic soda we go go back to..

Going back to our roots cheesy
Yeye people instead of them to implore us to use their products more they are closing them
No wahala we will go back to our local soap
Bye bye OMO LUX & SUNLIGHT

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by CodeTemplar: 3:37am On Mar 28, 2023

restructuring its business model to focus “more on business continuity measures that reduce exposure to devaluation and currency liquidity in our business model.”

Naira Scarcity in the face of harsh economy is it. If the naira was going to be scarce what was the purpose of withdrawal limits?

I am beginning to think it was all part of an attempt at reducing run off inflation via reduced spending.
They blocked Intl Naira-FOREX transactions at first, next was limiting cash in circulation as well higher denominations volume and lastly was a jammed electronic channel(USSD).
Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by maasoap(m): 4:15am On Mar 28, 2023
LikeAking:
Noted!

Nothing last forever

Lux is my soap. I just bought a pack yesterday
Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by ogastone(m): 4:30am On Mar 28, 2023
Omo , household name detergent. These people are too lazy, I wish another company should go and collect that product from them. #safeomo
Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by jeff1607(m): 5:04am On Mar 28, 2023
Cromagnon:
you want to compare their quality?

OMO has quality?

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by Atarakpa: 5:29am On Mar 28, 2023
Sir you will not understand. I work with one of the multi national company here in Lagos and the company is over 120 yrs
maleekberry:
It's a pity undecided

Sometimes I wonder why all these big multinationals can't do what other smaller companies are doing to survive undecided

See smaller brands like waw,viva, good mama,unik bathing soap, hawaii soap, Eva soap are all cashing out and making huge sales in this bad economy nah him Unilever dey phase out some household products. Nah wa

These big companies should better stop paying all these their staffs fat salaries for doing nothing undecided

They should divert those monies to marketing. They should recruit boys and girls on the street and use them to do aggressive marketing. Can't they learn from the way waw they do street marketing.
Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by ChybuzzDD(m): 5:54am On Mar 28, 2023
LikeAking:
Noted!

Nothing last forever

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to have any indigenous replacement so far
So there's nothing to beat chest here for
Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by Nwaide01: 5:56am On Mar 28, 2023
maleekberry:
It's a pity undecided

They should divert those monies to marketing. They should recruit boys and girls on the street and use them to do aggressive marketing. Can't they learn from the way waw they do street marketing.
Don't mind they are running away because the new generation detergents and toilet soaps have pushed them out and slashed their gains to pieces.

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by candidbabe(f): 6:01am On Mar 28, 2023
No wonder sunlight detergent has become very exorbitant at late.
The last time I bought 1kg was #1600.
After reaching home,
I had to go back to the store and ask the seller is this the price you are selling sunlight now ,he said yes
I was shocked.

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by Deejaygold(m): 6:03am On Mar 28, 2023
Will miss these products o

2 Likes

Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by dnawah(m): 6:06am On Mar 28, 2023
dipoolowoo:

https://businesspost.ng/economy/unilever-nigerias-market-exit-to-affect-omo-sunlight-lux/
e better say make them go,if omo no dey, sunlight no dey,lux no dey, wetin i go dey use.
Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by rollywise(m): 6:10am On Mar 28, 2023
maleekberry:
It's a pity undecided

If Nigeria government happens to you, you fit close even your house
Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by rollywise(m): 6:10am On Mar 28, 2023
May Nigerian government not happen to you

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by djseanjohn77: 6:11am On Mar 28, 2023
rainmoredays:
Under Mr. Buhari Mohammedu Gofment.

We go survive am last last

How you bring politics into everything is appalling. If you know nothing about production or marketing, why not keep quiet.
Growing up, almost every families in Nigeria uses these products, today, people have cheaper alternatives that have also rebounded and suit modern day use.
Obviously, they can no longer compete with the rising market and values of the modern day customers, hence seek to step out. They are not make as such profit as they would cos such products works on turnovers.

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by djseanjohn77: 6:12am On Mar 28, 2023
Ishilove:
APC, una weldone

What has this got to do with APC?
When was the last t8me you use Lux, Omo or Sunlight?
People have cheaper and effective alternatives, the market is no longer monopolised unlike in the 90s and 2000s that almost every families use these products

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by georgeakins: 6:19am On Mar 28, 2023
Gangster1ms:
Buhari and APC really destroyed this country... God punish urchins

Na that Ibo man called Emefailure

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by layzie: 6:21am On Mar 28, 2023
maleekberry:
It's a pity undecided

Still see it as an opportunity for the smaller coys. Their exit will translate to more mkt share of the wholly indegenous coys u mentioned. So nothing loss for Nigerians IMO

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by adedayoa2(f): 6:29am On Mar 28, 2023
wunmi590:

I see no reason stopping those listed product, these are product that have helped alot of household, lux those days is a big man soap.

The saint of those product is very nice....
scent?
Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by overboard(m): 6:29am On Mar 28, 2023
Very interesting discourse on here.

Unilever discontinuing those brands is more likely a decision to focus on more profitable products as Omo and Lux most especially have obviously lost market share due to stiff competition. The products are not close to top of mind as before.

To dilute a brand either through quality reduction or lowering the price point would make no sense to some establishments but rather, discontinue and focus/consolidate efforts on the more viable options.

No biggie here as this is a norm in such situations. If a relaunch or repackaging would salvage those brands, some metrics and research would have prompted Unilever to take that route.

However, the concern is the trend is often an indicator of a bad economic policies and an unfavorable business environment… In economies where purchasing power dwindle as ours, brand loyalty can easily give way to what the pocket is saying. I personally ‘stopped’ low on a number of brands I use just to keep head above water. From real sausage to chicken franks; from Heineken to Trophy; from Nescafé Gold Blend to Classic and now to another lower rated brand…

The emergence of competitors that seem to stifle legacy brands is not always a bad thing. Sometimes, it’s a mixture of growing demands being fulfilled by newer players and untapped opportunities actively taken up… Remember, Nigeria has a large (‘middle class’) population and this alone is an attraction for FMCGs.

I saw some comment on backward integration.

Yes, as much as many multinationals would rather give more monetary advantage to their home countries, if competitors are able to maximize profits sourcing locally, no one will tell them to do same.

However, there’s a caveat to the immediate above: often times backward integration isn’t as easy as it sounds.

I am privy to the fact that a number of critical raw materials available or source-able here don’t (yet) meet standards to which certain brand requirements dictate. Some attempts at creating local production of key raw materials have been futile.

So FMCGs opt to continue importation of such to keep the quality aflame. My desire is that there is greater commitment to R&grin so that much of what is required by these entities is sourced here and the resultant effect is less use of FX to acquire materials at increasingly expensive costs and have more jobs through these efforts.

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by adedayoa2(f): 6:32am On Mar 28, 2023
djseanjohn77:

What has this got to do with APC?
When was the last t8me you use Lux, Omo or Sunlight?
People have cheaper and effective alternatives, the market is no longer monopolised unlike in the 90s and 2000s that almost every families use these products
he didn't do economics, alternative foregone affected Unilever.
Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by adedayoa2(f): 6:34am On Mar 28, 2023
Deejaygold:
Will miss these products o
I can't remember the last time I used these products.

3 Likes

Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by slowice(m): 6:35am On Mar 28, 2023
Where there is no vision the people perish .

Lack of vision in Nigeria is destroying everything..... businesses,life , security, development, economy everything is hastily going under.

Yet, the trees still supported the axe, because they believe it is one on their own.

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by Coldie(m): 6:49am On Mar 28, 2023
Fake news I blame Gej and Peter Obi undecided
Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by crowther15(m): 6:51am On Mar 28, 2023
accordadoga24:
Toor... Na caustic soda we go go back to..

Going back to our roots cheesy
Safe Journey as you back to your root grin
Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by Westwood2580: 7:06am On Mar 28, 2023
GudPpleG8Nation:
Lux would be missed the most, especially the varieties.
Lux has been my soap for the past four years I can't bath without it. It really hurt me gan

1 Like

Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by ibinaboonline: 7:09am On Mar 28, 2023
As for me, I keep asking myself what happened to Miss Bimbo. I so loved that detergent but the brand didn't last at all. E pain me sha. Miss Bimbo na Klin killer.
Re: Unilever Nigeria’s Market Exit To Affect OMO, Sunlight, Lux by ShaqFu: 7:16am On Mar 28, 2023
Cromagnon:
you want to compare their quality?
Which quality are you talking about? To me OMO have become overrated. Unilver can take a hike.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

World Trade Center Abuja On Fire (Photos, Video) / The Cars Aliko Dangote Donated To Police Force (Video) / Cosmas Maduka's Wife, Charity Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.