Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,721 members, 7,816,971 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:37 PM

Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. (36796 Views)

Think Well Before You ‘Japa’ — Nigerian Man Shows Homeless People In US (Video) / My Japa Relocation To Moscow Russia / To All Japa Gang. It's Not Easy Anywhere (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by Isabi4lov: 8:03pm On Apr 02, 2023
GoodbutBadguy:

Will you marry me wink
On a norms most Nigeria men ain't romantic , the ones that are romantic are just few and I'm very sure they're not on nairaland.

Back to your question , the one you've at home , have you finished taking care of her undecided

1 Like

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by Octopusssy(f): 8:03pm On Apr 02, 2023
sukkot:
Am ready to eat. what you got ibkay ee
*I'm*
Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by sukkot: 8:09pm On Apr 02, 2023
Octopusssy:

*I'm*
wink
Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by DEBJOCH1(m): 8:15pm On Apr 02, 2023
Chetas81:
Stupid language called japa IF YOU REFUSED TO BUILD YOUR MOTHERLAND AND YOU THINK OYINBO MAN BUILD THEIR MOTHERLAND FOR THE NIGERIA CITIZENS THEN THINK TWICE
. MR. BUILDER GUESS SINCE THE YEARS YOU STARTED BUILDING YOUR MOTHER LAND, YOU ARE DONE BUILDING IT RIGHT?. YOU BETTER PARK WELL AND DONT BE AN OBSTACLE TO OTHERS, PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE THE REASON WHY OTHERS DONT MAKE PROGRESS.
Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by Beverages: 8:17pm On Apr 02, 2023
studyless123:

grin grin grin
I've never seen an 800 pound person. If the woman is overweight, she can burn the fat if both of you hit the gym daily.

Nice thread, he doesn't really care if she weights 800 pounds, so needing to hit gym is not necessarily need.lol
Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by GoodbutBadguy: 8:19pm On Apr 02, 2023
Isabi4lov:
On a norms most Nigeria men ain't romantic , the ones that are romantic are just few and I'm very sure they're not on nairaland.

Back to your question , the one you've at home , have you finished taking care of her undecided
I am single no gf/fiancee just me and my five female siblings smiley
Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by Isabi4lov: 8:22pm On Apr 02, 2023
GoodbutBadguy:

I am single no gf/fiancee just me and my five female siblings smiley
Okay o
Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by BlongTrendies(f): 8:28pm On Apr 02, 2023
MrBrownJay1:

i am born and bred in France so pretty much traveled all over Europe (Spain Belgium, Italy, Holland, Poland Belarus, Lithuania, Latvia, Ukraine, Russia Sweden finland etc) ... but i have actually lived in the UK, Norway, Denmark, Poland, Czech republic, Switzerland, China, Japan, Australia, Argentina, Brazil, Colombia... and of course, as you live in these places, you travel to neighboring countries to visit.

...and again, in any of these countries, i can tell you a story (whether good or bad) about Nigerians

Please can you tell me about Australia. What is it like living there?
Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by tshtsh: 8:30pm On Apr 02, 2023
colonelwealth:
This thread is for Nairalanders who have traveled out(relocated) or travel out(foreign visits) either occasionally or frequently.

What are the things; livestyles, culture shocks, cusines, religion, norms, education, government, discoveries that you have noticed in your travels to foreign country/lands that took you by surprise, shocked you, disgusted you or impressed you about your place of visit(country)..?
(Tell us both positive& negative impressionyou had that made you either appreciate Nigeria or criticise Nigeria)

For me: my negative impression was the unnecessary fear for Nigerians.....this made me appreciate Nigerians for their welcoming attitude towards foreigners irrespective of nationality.

While my positive impression was the general contentment and ease with which life is approached.....this made me criticise our mindset of 'get everything by all means necessary " in Nigeria.

I have many other experiences but let me wait for others wink

Pls, add your experiences....

The word "Nigerians" in the japa context means different things. Your educational level, immigration status, profession and how you moved abroad can sometimes be indicators of how you do and process things.

-There are Nigerians who went to study abroad as international students after completing secondary school or undergrad in Nigeria. These category of Nigerians usually have strong ties to their home country / family/ Nigerian values. They most likely work as professionals abroad and became citizens/residents through one of the pathways available to students. They tend to be from more stable family/economic backgrounds and are less susceptible to cutting corners or using people . I consider these category of Nigerians more trustworthy.

-Then you have the illegal immigrants who either overstayed their visas or got into their host country through the bush. This category of people may be desperate with little or no emotions and can do almost anything to survive. Think about it a person arriving in europe after travelling through the deserts of Niger, Libya and Morocco will have no issue doing anything to survive. In USA some of them come in through Mexico. They can do anything irrespective of whether it is morally right or wrong.

-There are also Nigerians who moved abroad via work sponsorship visas. These category of Nigerians tend to be also sound and live a decent lifestyle free of crime or fraud.

However, I've observed that the post-covid japa wave seems to be a different ball game. Sometime it feels like people don't think again or anymore. It doesn't look like people make plans anymore rather they just want to leave Nigeria and are ready to shut down any other suggestion. This has now sprang up a group of adult students (40+) with families who have sold all they've worked for to be students abroad (particularly UK, USA, Canada). With the weakening naira they tend to be desperate. Reports are rife about increased pressure on the marriage of people in this category. Some have been deregistered from their schools due to their inability to meet up with their fee payment schedule. Out of desperation some members of this group can do or say anything to raise money. The belief in Nigeria is that there is a pathway to permanent residency as a student in UK or Canada. Every family believes they'll be competitive enough to scale through the financial and immigration hurdles ahead. I pray they all do but realistically its not entirely within their control. The canadian immigration system is competitive with candidates requiring high scores to be selected . The UK immigration law also requires students to graduate and find a job sponsor (5 years on worker visa after graduation). With all these outside the full control of the applicant and continuously changing immigration laws may see some returning to Nigeria.

With this sort of pressure and uncertainties, some people will leave their marriages to get married to citizens of their host countries out of fear of moving back to nigeria. Some commit fraud and some will scale through the hurdle. Thus there is no such thing as "Fear of Nigerians" because the circumstances and realities of Nigerians abroad differ across several lines

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by Smallxixi(f): 8:33pm On Apr 02, 2023
If you’re looking for a good travel agency, TourBrainz have you covered.

We make your traveling process easy and hitch free.

US Dropbox available .

Instagram: @Tourbrainz
Call: ‪+234 901 188 3910‬

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by ramalot(m): 8:34pm On Apr 02, 2023
colonelwealth:

For me: my negative impression was the unnecessary fear for Nigerians.....this made me appreciate Nigerians for their welcoming attitude towards foreigners irrespective of nationality.

While my positive impression was the general contentment and ease with which life is approached.....this made me criticise our mindset of 'get everything by all means necessary " in Nigeria.

I'm hoping you realize how contradictory these two statements are, and how the second completely justifies the first.

It's perfectly logical for you to consider the cautious treatment Nigerians receive as a "negative impression." However, it's illogical to call it "unnecessary." The reality is, it's absolutely necessary, for the same reason you highlighted in your second statement.

While all Nigerians aren't criminals, the "average Nigerian" will attempt to take undue economic advantage of people and places, at the slightest opportunity. It doesn't matter if they're in Abuja or Abu Dhabi.

For general context, when I moved from Nigeria, Obasanjo was President. So it's been a while. I've done my fair share of traveling, which I spoke about a bit, here: https://www.nairaland.com/7484940/lived-visited-over-30-countries

2 Likes

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by NIKEDEEDS(m): 9:05pm On Apr 02, 2023
[/b][b][b][/b]
YoungLionken:
A simple and interesting thread, but brownjay and the other guy turned it into rubbish talks about women..

Must everything be about women !?

Y'all be having unnecessary headaches over women (our forefathers rather spent their time, energy and resources on battle, kingdoms, inventories, etc. Women were least of their problems), deviating from the main subject matter. Y'all should desist from this nonsense please!!!
Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by alien1: 9:37pm On Apr 02, 2023
OloyeVIII:

Cincinnati, NOLA and Pittsburgh. for me though, was born in Finland moved to Nigeria in 2001. Singapore is baaad..so many rich Chinese folks with little or no Chinese accent.
How will you describe life in Finland
Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by Obasempiree(m): 9:41pm On Apr 02, 2023
Bilingualism:
Most people japa because of a second passport and the insecurity in our dear country and their inability to get a job to live up to expectation as a graduate. Or job insecurity from even those who have one.
The future of our kids etc.

Abroad too is not as easy as most people back home think. We are just lucky to be able to thrive amidst stress.

Here you have to be responsible everything comes as mail unlike Nigeria where u will owe your landlord and still be threatening your landlord.

OYINbo no Dey stress na court paper you go see next.

In all honesty there is no place like home. In this abroad my dear nothing like communal living. It’s even difficult to greet someone when almost everyone has an ear piece on. I will advice people don’t sell your property to japa because you might end up been depressed because the grass isn’t greener on the other side, but if you have the means Biko japa. Japa is also educating (traveling)
In the uk where I stay, I went to see my gp and was hungry I went to a restaurant nearby and in that restaurant the only food that seem familiar was pasta.(macaroni) I ordered for a portion but my dear when it came it tasted like mixing boiled unsalted pasted with tin tomato (uncooked tomato paste)and it was cold. I no fit chop am because as I naija person we are used to as e Dey hot🤣.

Also if you want to travel via student route don’t come alone if you have a balance of your tuition try to come with your spouse Biko it makes life easy else you may almost drop out of school.

I will add more shortly
i love this, very insightful thanks!

1 Like

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by bezimo(m): 9:41pm On Apr 02, 2023
Canada is been home for me for over 8 years..no regrets living that shit hole country called Nigeria.

Here you see quite a number of Nigerians to relate with..in church and occasionally at grocery stores. So you are not really alone but most of my friends are white than Nigerians

Here, they dont do anyhow..there are laws..you must obey, traffic laws etc or else wahala

Canadians are typically friendly and helpful, here you often see a Canadian that you dont know from Adam stop and start talking to you on maybe an observation or something around and you should listen..and act interested and laugh..

Here, coming from Nigeria you must learn to be polite..no shout on anybody oh..at work at school etc..

Their girls..they can love oh, are not material or money driven because they have their own money, car etc, once they are in with you its only you, they wont cheat and wont tolerate it either.

2 Likes

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by saintruky(m): 9:51pm On Apr 02, 2023
studyless123:

grin grin grin
I've never seen an 800 pound person. If the woman is overweight, she can burn the fat if both of you hit the gym daily.

Abeg link me too ooo
Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by jennifer22(f): 9:54pm On Apr 02, 2023
May God help me make me self japa

1 Like

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by saintruky(m): 9:59pm On Apr 02, 2023
Bilingualism:

Also if you want to travel via student route don’t come alone if you have a balance of your tuition try to come with your spouse Biko it makes life easy else you may almost drop out of school.

I will add more shortly

If u have or don't have the balance of your tuition?
Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by incogni2o: 10:02pm On Apr 02, 2023
studyless123:

I stopped responding to @MrBrownJay1 so as not to derail the topic.

No. I'm not. List the cultures that support that. That a practice is common doesn't make it acceptable.

There's a reason humans are referred to as intelligent beings. Those are values accepted in the animal kingdom. There's no culture in the world that values beating a spouse. I have heard about it several times, I witnessed the case of a woman beating her man and I called the cops on her. If you want to practice your fighting skills there are sports to do so. If there are issues in marriage there are alternate dispute resolution (ADR).

I'm not sanctimonious, but the practice of domestic violence is an act everyone should kick against. Men and women suffer from it.

I agree with you, Was only addressing the phrase "Why on Earth" you used in making your sentence.

It's not unheard of in uncivillized cultures and times.
Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by incogni2o: 10:07pm On Apr 02, 2023
KIDDRICAsHAWK:

It's a useless value and upbringing. Nothing justifies beating up another grown-up human because you're married to them.

Can you deny that there are millions of Homes right now with Children having useless upbringing?

Can you deny there are hundreds of cultures right now with bad values?

Nothing justifies? Hmm lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

You again with a sanctinonious phrase.

It's like saying Nothing justifies doing something that's bad.
Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by MrBrownJay1(m): 10:18pm On Apr 02, 2023
magzey:
This one can lie like a Planet Eeh?, Jesus grin grin

what makes you believe that someone telling you they have traveled and lived around the world time and time again, is a liar? what is so difficult about doing that (especially if your job facilitates relocating to any countries of the world)?!
here below is a picture of me cheering for the French team (yep i am French born and bred, remember?) with Nigerian football fans during the WC in Brasil... and if you still dont believe i was there, the next photo is me at the stadium and the moment during that same France Nigeria match in Brasilia when the broadcasters zoomed on me at the stadium and nearly every person i know around the world called my phone to tell me they saw me on TV during the match... and the last photo is me shooting a commercial in Buenos Aires.

colonelwealth:
Oh that's quite a lot sir....oya pls just give two.
Australia and Japanese experience will do.

lol if you follow my writeups on NL, you would have picked up on them a long time ago... here is me writing about Japan on NL:

MrBrownJay1:
Few yrs ago, I wrote about it on a thread here, here is a copy as paste

i was living in Tokyo and life over there is no different than anywhere else around the civilized world. the language barrier might be a little troubling at first but then if you start to speak it then it will get much easier for you.
jobwise: if you dont speak japanese, you will have to probably find an english speaking firm that deals exclusively with the US (very hard to find) or work in a bar/club that caters exclusively for a foreign crowd(roppongi).
if you havent got a valid working visa, dont expect finding a well paid decent job.
Foreigners are well respected in Japan (blacks included) there are few odds of people who might not want to deal with a black man but that would probably be because of the foreigners that have been over there and made a fool out of themselves and the rest of us.
japanese are very respectful people, have good manners and as long as you come correct, people will mostly treat you the same way.

there are a bunch of nigerians in Tokyo and a great deal will be found working in Roppongi, the "foreigners playground". there are many Nigerian/Ghanians owned businesses over there from clubs/bars to restaurant.
be ready to be blown away by how amazing this country is.
as for the small bits and pieces:
- you always have to take off your shoes when going inside a home
- bowing when greeting someone is advised
- if you are lost, just ask anyone around and they will gladly help.
- wherever you eat, you will be given a warm cloth before the meal (oshibori). you should always use it to clean your hands (even if you just clean them) but never let it touch your face.
- if you like to eat fruits and vegetables at home, be ready to spend an incredible amount for that privilege in japan.
- japanese cannot pronounce the letter R and some form of L when speaking english.
yes you are absolutely right, and being late is seen as a lack of respect(even in dates).

here are some more
- when taking the subway in the morning, you will see a majority of the people sleeping in their seat and like an alarm clock, they always wake up just before their stops.
- japanese work very hard so if you are a lazy person, you wont make it compare to the locals.
- in the office, even if your finish time is 5pm, workers dont normally go home until 1) the job is done 2) the manager is gone
- japanese take work very seriously and their job is their biggest asset before their wife/children etc
- losing their job is like the end of the world for some and thats why many commit suicide when they do.
- the reason japanese dont often go on holidays from their work is because they are afraid that the person replacing them is going to outshine them at their duties.
- if you like your women to be open minded about their feeling then you btter find a japanese girl that was born and lived most of her life abroad
- japanese women do not shave and some are VERY hairy down there (japanese men love hairy women).
- japanese cant handle alcohol. they either drink a lot or dont drink at all. there is no middle way
- going to a karaoke is very common in Japan
- going to a hostess/strip club to conclude a business deal is very common in Japan
- doing business in Japan, you always have to have a business card and thats the first thing you give when meeting a prospective business partner.
- in the bedroom dont expect women to be very open minded and sexually freaky. even if they are, they are very shy and it takes time for them to let go.
- you dont often see fat people in Japan
- it is completely normal in Japan to see a grown man in the subway reading a comic book
- taking the subway on sunday can be worst than during the peak hour of the weekdays because all japanese go out with their families during the weekends
- japanese men rarely see their children because most leave home very early in the morning and never return before very late at night
- going to a karaoke/hostess club with your colleagues after work is part of life in Japan and most workers go at least twice a week
- you might make a lot of japanese friends but dont expect them to invite you home anytime soon
- dont expect to have a 100sqm flat in japan, for 1000$ per month, you are lucky if you get a 50sqm flat(rent in Japan is one of the most expensive in the world after Moscow)
- there is a good subway and train connection in Japan so living 1hr outside Tokyo is considered the norm to some.
- japanese are some of the biggest perverts in the world, its not unusual to see vending machine for used school girl underwear sealed in plastic bag to keep their "freshness" AND men stand in front of the machine choosing which one to buy with absolutely no shame!
- its a known fact that many shcool girl sell their used underwear to make extra money, they wear it for 3 days non stop and then sell them to the various shops who will ask the girl to take it off in front of them, then they will put it in a sealed bag, write the girls name on it and even some will have a photo of the girl to prove it,
- going to a love hotel with a girl is considered normal in Japan as most unmarried people still live with their parents
- most japanese dont leave home until they are married
- its not unusual to meet a japanese girl that look 17yrs old but in fact is well into her mid 30s
- in Japan, they recycle everything so if you dont separate your trash, they will bring it back to your front door(they did with me anyway).
- if you get arrested for any minor crime in Japan, as a foreigner they usually throw you in jail for 21 days.

here below is me writing extensively about Brasil:

[quote MrBrownJay]^^ sorry bro, i had forgotten about this great thread, thanks for reminding me:

.......and then there was Brasil (yeah thats how you spell it over there)...oh lawd, where should i begin? Brasil is like Africa in South America, me gusta!!!
first i have to say that Brazilians are some of the warmest people i have yet encountered. very friendly and most importantly very open minded, sadly, most dont speak English so you better speak "some" Portuguese/Spanish, if not then your access to great friends would be limited.....and since they have a different way of life, you need someone to lead you into their lifestyle and show you the rope quickly.

Brasil has a deep rooted connection with Africa, you can clearly understand that when you go to the north of the country. yes, the more north you go the more black people there are and the more south you go and the less black you will see. to understand better, Rio and Sao Paulo is considered the separation between north and south. on a map, Brasil looks small but the country is HUGE!! from Rio, it takes about 2-3hrs by plane to get to the extreme south and just a little bit more to go to top north. the beauty of it all is that there are plenty of low cost airline company flying within the country so discovering the country is quite easy (compare to Argentina). you can also travel by bus in Brasil but with the size of the country, you should expect no less than 24hrs if traveling from Rio to the north. yes i unfortunately had to do it once and it wasnt pleasant at all (not so great compared with Argentine buses).

now lets get something straight: Brasil is a very expensive country! yep, it is the most expensive country in South America, so if you are in Sao Paulo or Rio, then you best be careful of where you are going to live as these cities have some outrageous rental prices, and since tourism is booming and they are hosting the 2014 WC and 2016 Olympic games soon, prices of EVERYTHING is going to rise in these cities. yes you may want to move in another city but then your choice for action will be limited. if it is business then Sao Paulo is the main city and if it is for lifestyle the Rio it is. sadly rental prices in these cities are a bit on the high end unless you live in bad neighborhood or far from the main areas of attraction.

Rio is where i lived, and i have lived in many different areas of the city both the good the bad and the SUPER BAD, but i will have to say that living in a favela was my best experience EVER in the country (remember that wherever you are in Rio, there is a favela very close by). some favelas are really bad and dangerous to venture into and others are a the BOMB. the best parties in Rio were in favelas street with thousand of people dancing their socks off, even though most dont have a kobo to their names. thats the spirit i found in Brasil that was so addictive: these people would enjoy life fully, regardless of their financial status. on the weekend they go to the beach and at night they PARTY!!!!!!!!

the tough favelas are controlled by drug barons and they are the ones who fund these parties, even paying for top artist to come and perform there. no cover charge and the drink are dead cheap. its a way to make the people happy and it does work.i lived in a place called RIO DAS PEDRAS which is one of the few favelas that are drug and crime free (it is controlled by militia).....and every sunday there was a street party. free for all and bootay shaking everywhere to some of the dirtiest nastiest samba funk music you will ever hear in your life, PERFECT!!! sadly, one of the problem in Brasil and especially favela is their promiscuity. supposedly, 60% of women between the ages of 16 and 25 (living in favelas) are hiv+. i didnt really want to believe it but this guy was a doctor working with them so he had a pretty good idea of the problem........lets not even talk of 12yr old gals having babies.

when i just arrived in Rio, i stayed with a friend in Zona Norte of Rio, and one night i was woken by a gun battle, and believe me, i thought i was in a war zone. supposedly it was the police having a problem with some drug infested favela in the area and they were each going at it. gun were blasting and it was NOT some small weapons o, these were heavy machinery. the sound of this gun battle, that lasted about 1hr, sent a cold chill to my spine. i went to the window and the gal told me to get away from it. i asked why and she told me that since these weapons are heavy guns, the bullets travel very far and even though it was about 1-2km away, the possibility of getting hit by a stray bullet was very high. i then wondered about the people who were living right in the middle of these favela and she told me these simple words:" when gun battle like this starts, you cant go back home or leave your house because you will just get kill for no damn reason" i asked what about if it last for days, like it sometimes does, and she replied that you therefore have to stay away from home for DAYS.

i am sure you would therefore ask why people would want to live in favela then, right? well it is very simple: its cheaper, WAY cheaper!!!! first you dont pay for electricity or water (aka gato luz), the rent is way cheaper and you dont have to pay any extra for the building security (like in Copacabana) AND the internet is almost free (gato net). in Copacabana i was paying about 150reais for internet, in the favela i only paid 40.....you do the math.

also there is the beach culture.......in order to discover what Brazilians are all about, you have to go to the nearest beach. if it is a sunny day (like it mostly is in Brasil) then chances are the beach will be crowded. get yourself a long chair and parasol (about 5-10reais to rent for the day, depending on where you are) then sit and enjoy the sight. pls, if you are not fully in control of your pants activity, i suggest you wear a swimming trunk of steel, as you may get a hardon simply by looking at the beautiful sexy women in attendance. yes the women like to wear as little as possible to get as much brown as possible. the bikinis are tiny, but comparing with other countries, you will find no topless women there (unless it is a private beach). thats because it is illegal in Brasil to go topless in any public place....beach included. but dont worry, the kind of bikini you may see on the beach may be considered nu.dity in other countries. lol. drinks are essential at the beach and there will always be someone selling either fresh coconut milk, beer or caipirinha. get yourself a football or volleyball and have some fun with your newly found friends, et voila. dont worry it is very easy to talk to people at the beach and being a foreigner open many doors.

sadly you also have to be careful about some of the women on the beach, as many could be ashewos on the prowl. yes ashewoism is rampant and many tourists solely go to the country to experiment it. i wish i could dwell more on the issue but that would be for another thread.

now, as a black man loving my black sistas but traveling to places where they may not be a lot of sistas, i was in heaven when i moved to Brasil, especially when you realize that most women there DONT WEAR WEAVE!!!!! yep, you hear about Brazilian hair this and that all over 9ja but most of the sistas in Brasil dont wear them, although the majority perm their hair.... and i dont know if it is the mix with Spanish/Portuguese blood, but most have long silky permed hair compare to some of our African sistas whose permed hair sometimes look like a battle ground (no offense to my 9ja sistas o)

also something that i found fascinating about Brasil is that they have an obsession with beautiful bodies, so EVERYBODY goes to the gym, whether old or young. and the funniest part is that women wear these outrageous outfits to go there (very hard to focus on the training)........ at the beach, you can clearly understand where all the work has gone to, as it definitely shows. perfect bundas etc (although Brasil is also famous for being the plastic surgery #1 country in the world). so although i was not into the gym culture like that, i too started to go to the gym like my life depended on it (and also to make sure i could "compete" with the locals on the beach lol).

now one of the downside of the country happens to be the price of everything that is imported. everything get a 100% tax, so if you think of getting any genuine electronic, i suggest you buy it all before getting to the country, an Ipad is double the price as in the US, an Iphone same, etc....even cars get the same policy, any imported car gets a 100% tax added to it so if you ever wish to cruise in a Range Rover then pls make sure you have very deep pockets.

here are some few things i have also discovered:
- if you are sitting in a crowded bus and a person is standing next to you with a bag, it is customary to ask/take their bag and put it on your lap.

.......brain freeze, will be back for more.[/quote]

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by MrBrownJay1(m): 10:44pm On Apr 02, 2023
[quote MrBrownJay]Brazil part2
there is something about Brasil that makes this country special, for me, it is not something i can pinpoint, it is just the whole experience that was special in so many ways. i found myself in a country that reminded me so much of Africa, a country where people live a similar life of Africans, a country where the lower income people live similarly to Africans......and yet a country where its people look at life in such a POSITIVE manner. yes there are many issues of violence etc, but i have figured out a long time ago that there is NO COUNTRY in this world where everything is positive. everywhere you will go, you will find some plus and some minuses, the catch is to find the country that has the most pluses and the less minuses......and Brasil has a LOT of pluses.

as a man, being in a country where there are tons of beautiful women is very important as i dont want to be competing in the clubs/streets etc with the masses. so if the percentage of gorgeous women is very high, then automatically it is less stressful to get access to them. in France, you have to bloody dance on your head in order to get a contact and impress beautiful women that think so high of themselves. but who can blame them if/when there is only 5 of them in a club of about 300 peeps? you see this is where the catch is: in Brasil, the percentage of fantastic women is VERY high, so these women dont need to act high and mighty because they know that a simple look around, will produce many women that can out-stage her.....so women there stay on your level, rather than the silly ones abroad that play hard to get for nothing.

also another thing is that Brazilian men dont value Brazilian beauty (like we foreigners do), they have seen it all and done it all that a beautiful sexy woman is not such a big deal to them..........since there are so many in that country. so yes they will want to approach the gals but only for sex, and not for a r/ship. many will openly tell you that they would rather date an ugly SMART woman (and Bleep around with the beautiful sexy ones) rather than the opposite. we all know that a man fulfilled in love, is a man half way there.

when i lived in the favelas, most people knew i was a foreigner, they used to call me "el Angolano", because they all automatically believed that i was Angolan due to my fukced up Portuguese. the life i lived amongst the less fortunate was perfect to me, the kids there would follow me around shouting "hello!!!!", and try to scam me out of some change. i understood their lifestyle fully, i also enjoyed it fully. the funniest part is that living in a favela is the SAFEST thing possible (when it comes to robbery and home invasion) i could leave my door open and run down the store, and nobody would even try to steal my stuff, and they all knew what i had since they all saw me moved in. you see, many of these people are into crime (robbery etc) but they go to the posh placces like Copacabana to do their crime, they never shiit in their own kitchen, so living with them meant that i was safe in that sense. coming back from a drunken night out wasnt a problem, even if the place was completely dark.

dont misunderstand me, favelas can become quite nasty and overunned with floodings in the streets up to your knees during the rainy season, but its all good to me because the constant yearly warm weather is another PLUS in my book. although it can be quite warm from November till March, the rest of the year has great temperature. so in my 18months stay, i think i wore a jacket 3/4 times only. i spent most of my time wearing bermuda and flip flops during the day, and wearing proper shoes when going clubbing/partying at night. life felt so much EASIER, so much SIMPLER, and although there will alwasy be some worries of some sort or another, they felt to have been overshadowed by the laidback lifestyle. so i found myself thinking differently, seeing life from a different perspective, understanding the reason why many viewed life the way they did. imagine a place where you didnt have to be rich or even powerful to BE TRULY HAPPY.

flashing your cash in Brasil is not only WRONG in so many levels, but also a turn off to most. if you are in a group of friends, it is not well viewed to buy all the rounds (just because you can). i learned that it was viewed negatively, and it was better to buy one round (or a bottle) and stop, rather than paying for everyone's drink the whole night long . yes, you may attract some fleas (aka goldiggaz hunting for a foreigner) but the majority of local women are happy with an ok guy. unfortunately, Brazilian women can be very jealous and demanding when in a full r/ship, so if that is what you are after then you must be direct and honest STRAIGHT from the start as many may be mislead. there are 2 types of r/ship: the full r/ship aka walking hand in hand, we are exclusively dating etc. AND the noviazgo type where we are dating/fukcing but not exclusively and nothing serious.

also for the duration of my stay in Brazil, i was never EVER asked for my passport or ID, something that many hustlers would gladly cherish. but if you are in the mood, the country is next to some great countries to discover: Peru, Chile; Colombia, Venezuela etc..... i mean really, what could one ask for? and as Brazil is getting stronger and stronger in this economic world, being in one of the BRIC country can only be a PLUS.........and if that wasnt enough for you, here is another clue: anywhere around the world, your saving account will give you a return of 2-3% PER YEAR(if you are lucky), in Brasil you can get 1% PER MONTH (or 15% per yr)......you do the math playaz!!!!! [/quote]

i wrote extensively back in 2012 about my travels around the world on the following thread...and even though my moniker (MrBrownJay) was deleted, you can easily see which one is me https://www.nairaland.com/902208/thread-travel-enthusiasts/1

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by MrBrownJay1(m): 11:03pm On Apr 02, 2023
...about Australia

https://www.nairaland.com/902208/thread-travel-enthusiasts/2#10613238
[quote MrBrownjay]after Prague there was Sydney............. let me pause for a minute so i can wipe my tears, just thinking about the place makes me shed a tear lol. at the time of moving to Australia, i thought i was searching for "paradise on earth", and i really believed that i had found it in Australia. Australia seemed to be the country with the MOST positive and the LESS negative i had found in any country (at the time). all countries have good and bad, but this country had the best balance.

what can i say about the place: genuinely warm people, open minded society, closeness to the sea and beach living, about an hour drive out of Sydney and you are "in the countryside", their lay back attitude to life, the remote location of the country. i think at the time i was so bias that i thought the only thing wrong about the place was the damn 26hr flight to get there.
until you have driven across the country and discovered the outback, there is no way you can truly make up your mind about how great the country is....and with the huge size of the place, a road trip all the way to Perth via all the main tourist attraction (and back) wouldnt/shouldnt last less than 20days. i mean the country is the size of western Europe, what do you expect?

getting a legal visa to LIVE in Australia is no small joke (and probably most people drawback) and there is a big incentive that pays people to rat illegal workers and their employers. so, my Nigerian brothas and sistas, watch out. there is a fair amount of Nigerians in Oz and it is very easy to meet them during the weekend at specific clubs and parties....and if you ever thought the Brits were heavy drinkers, think again as the OZs are right there at the top!

it took me a while to open my mind and see that there was a "bit" of racism there, but not towards me, but mostly towards Aborigines. people use to say to me:" we love black people but we hate Aborigines" and i was like WTF?! i never understood why there was so much hatred for them. they clearly aint no different than us. today, it has changed a bit, and there is a LOT of racism geared towards African, Arabs and Indians (many Sudanese have lately immigrated there after the "war"wink and they dont make it any easy on us all.

many think of Australia as deadly snakes, giant spiders, kangaroos etc but unless you go to the outback, the closest you will get to see such animals is the ZOO.
the only reason why i moved to Beijing was because i thought i would continue discover the world and then come back to settle in Australia, when i will be done, if i only knew lol.

stay tuned[/quote]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by Nobodysboo(m): 11:07pm On Apr 02, 2023
Me that have not left Nigeria i should japa or go and die abi
Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by Chetas81(m): 11:38pm On Apr 02, 2023
DEBJOCH1:
. MR. BUILDER GUESS SINCE THE YEARS YOU STARTED BUILDING YOUR MOTHER LAND, YOU ARE DONE BUILDING IT RIGHT?. YOU BETTER PARK WELL AND DONT BE AN OBSTACLE TO OTHERS, PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE THE REASON WHY OTHERS DONT MAKE PROGRESS.
OF COURSE MODERN DAYS SLAVE LOVE THEIR CHAIN THAT'S WHAT I SEE ABOUT YOUR COMMENTS
Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 11:58pm On Apr 02, 2023
Okay but she’s paying for those things or at least she’s expecting he pays his fair share since they will most likely enjoy those experiences together as a couple. Is there anything wrong with that?

ednut1:
there are men abroad who want to marry a fellow Nigerian, but cant doesn’t meet their standards. Should he keep begging for their acceptance Or help himself by going to Nigeria 🤣.
Not all women you bring from Nigeria will change.
The average established 9ja babe abroad is going on 3-4 vacations a year. Spain today, Cancun tommorow, indonesia next week, some don’t cook, some don’t want kids, some are looking for 6 figures men, some looking for their tribes person etc. how are men supposed to cope with all that. His only choice might be Amaka who earns 100k a month in Nigeria or is even jobless grin😜

3 Likes

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 12:01am On Apr 03, 2023
pocohantas:

This is not true and I am surprised you and Kaycee think this way. We all know how diasporans are hounded on this Nairaland whenever they share insights on careers and maximum achievable pay. It is better they keep quiet and mind their businesses. Maybe keep washing the plates and toilets they are accused of.

And called liars as well

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 12:01am On Apr 03, 2023
Saw the thread taking a turn immediately they started talking about women
YoungLionken:
A simple and interesting thread, but brownjay and the other guy turned it into rubbish talks about women..

Must everything be about women !?

Y'all be having unnecessary headaches over women (our forefathers rather spent their time, energy and resources on battle, kingdoms, inventories, etc. Women were least of their problems), deviating from the main subject matter. Y'all should desist from this nonsense please!!!

4 Likes

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by ibinaboonline: 12:25am On Apr 03, 2023
Why did you say don't come alone to school route japarians?
Bilingualism:
Most people japa because of a second passport and the insecurity in our dear country and their inability to get a job to live up to expectation as a graduate. Or job insecurity from even those who have one.
The future of our kids etc.

Abroad too is not as easy as most people back home think. We are just lucky to be able to thrive amidst stress.

Here you have to be responsible everything comes as mail unlike Nigeria where u will owe your landlord and still be threatening your landlord.

OYINbo no Dey stress na court paper you go see next.

In all honesty there is no place like home. In this abroad my dear nothing like communal living. It’s even difficult to greet someone when almost everyone has an ear piece on. I will advice people don’t sell your property to japa because you might end up been depressed because the grass isn’t greener on the other side, but if you have the means Biko japa. Japa is also educating (traveling)
In the uk where I stay, I went to see my gp and was hungry I went to a restaurant nearby and in that restaurant the only food that seem familiar was pasta.(macaroni) I ordered for a portion but my dear when it came it tasted like mixing boiled unsalted pasted with tin tomato (uncooked tomato paste)and it was cold. I no fit chop am because as I naija person we are used to as e Dey hot🤣.

I will add more shortly
Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by Gerrard59(m): 3:30am On Apr 03, 2023
pocohantas:

There was one like two weeks ago, maybe a little more. It was a battle convincing people they are doing well, and bought houses, or cars. You know Nigerians in Nigeria know about abroad more than the people there.

I know that thread and even learnt from it. Some people are so close-minded and dogmatic. They believe something can never be possible even though others have achieved it.

4 Likes

Re: Japa Nairalanders, Let's Discuss. by Gerrard59(m): 3:51am On Apr 03, 2023
MrBrownJay1:

E no get where you never go. grin Right from MrBrownJ to MrBrownJay to this moniker, I have admired your expeditions. Man! You are a living map! Hopefully, life tarries, I would want to meet you one day. Hopefully, in Brazil too. wink

Kudos to your travels, and your signature really encapsulates your experiences.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

He Scammed Me Under The Pretence To Process My Admission Abroad / Forerunner Of The Eze Ndigbo Malaysia, Dies In An Auto Crash In Kuala Lumpur / 31 Roads In Lagos And The Famous Nigerians They Were Named After

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.