Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,250 members, 7,818,862 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:51 AM

Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? (19673 Views)

How To Handle Money Transferred To Wrong Account number Case (worth Sharing) / I Mistakenly Transferred Money To A Frozen Bank Account / What To Do When You Send Money To The Wrong Account (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by chatinent: 4:04pm On Mar 30, 2023
For me, the reverse tho...

Many times with my clients most of whom are nairalanders.

An instance...Sb actually sent me an extra ₦250k for a work. He sent it twice.

I refunded him cos it's what is normal to be done.

Besides, we deal with people who pay upfront payments so trust is very important.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by Sixfeetbelle: 4:07pm On Mar 30, 2023
chelsea1116:
No and never received.

Sent 500k instead of 50k like 2 times.

One was to a friend who returned 450k and the other was my mom who didnt return it.
She returned blessings and prayers instead of 450k.

If I was your gf, I wouldn't return it, not to talk of your mother.

On behalf of my gender, I apologize sha 🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂
Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by Sixfeetbelle: 4:11pm On Mar 30, 2023
Kobicove:

It's not Access Bank's fault. the person you erroneously transferred the money to must give consent before they can reverse the transaction in order to refund your money

When someone mistakenly credited my sister's account, he complained to the bank and they froze my sister's account.

So I don't understand why people say banks can't help you in the case of erroneous transfer.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by Pearlwhite: 4:13pm On Mar 30, 2023
It happened to me last year.
The same account number but different bank and account name.
Before you ask why didn't I check the name.
I placed a withdrawal on 1xbet, input the account number and click on wrong bank without knowing.
Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by Sixfeetbelle: 4:14pm On Mar 30, 2023
Bahamas95:
I have said this several times, am yet to understand how people transfer money to wrong accounts.

Recipients name and bank is there for you to confirm before sending so I don't understand how people make that foolish mistake.

Recharge of airtime using USSD can cause that, network wahala can cause that,
Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by Sixfeetbelle: 4:18pm On Mar 30, 2023
Bahamas95:
I have said this several times, am yet to understand how people transfer money to wrong accounts.

Recipients name and bank is there for you to confirm before sending so I don't understand how people make that foolish mistake.

Recharge of airtime using USSD can cause that especially if you mistakenly enter a wrong number unknowingly, network wahala can lead to multiple transactions, also, some people are not as collected as they seem and do not do proper crosscheck before approving a transfer
Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by Kobicove(m): 4:20pm On Mar 30, 2023
Sixfeetbelle:

When someone mistakenly credited my sister's account, he complained to the bank and they froze my sister's account.

So I don't understand why people say banks can't help you in the case of erroneous transfer.

The most the bank can do in this instance is to freeze the account or put a lien on the amount involved but they will never reverse the transaction without the consent of the other party.

If the bank can unilaterally reverse such transactions then it means that an unscrupulous person can make payment to a trader for an item; after it has been delivered to him he will go and tell the bank that he transfered the money in error and they will reverse the money to his account

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by geesilver(m): 4:20pm On Mar 30, 2023
My wife sister's husband mistakenly send 20k to my account from a POS, after 3 days he called me to inform me about it so I just forwarded the money to the account he wanted to transfer it to.....when I tot I don see free money
...... I have wrongly sent airtime of #1500 to same wrong number like 2 times at different times I got it refunded but the last one I did to a wrong number the line was off for like after a week I just lock up
Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by legacyint: 4:25pm On Mar 30, 2023
inoki247:
Nope wrong account hardly exist bkuz most time when I du a single mistake with the Digit is always showing doesn't exist....
It does exist man,it has happened to me I needed to send money to someone and the funny thing that he was right there with me but doing something else,he gave me the account number and I tried making the transfer due to network issue it didn't go at first so I ask for the details again and where I was supposed to type in 7 I typed 9 and the name appeared didn't even bothered to confirm the name cause since the name appeared just proceeded to make the transfer. That was how I lost 16k.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by Sixfeetbelle: 4:26pm On Mar 30, 2023
Kobicove:

The most the bank can do in this instance is to freeze the account or put a lien on the amount involved but they will never reverse the transaction without the consent of the other party.

If the bank can unilaterally reverse such transactions then it means that an unscrupulous person can make payment to a trader for an item; after it has been delivered to him he will go and tell the bank that he transfered the money in error and they will reverse the money to his account

Okay. That makes more sense.

If that is done, more people should pursue that line to get their money back.

Sure I know the receiver would not willingly return the money in most cases, but if a lien is put on the account, the receiver would be forced to reach a midpoint with the sender

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by tosyne2much(m): 4:27pm On Mar 30, 2023
A friend mistakenly sent N1m to an Uber driver about three years ago and the dude refused to refund the money

I was the one that helped him get the money back on Nairaland through blackmailing the Uber guy.. He was able to refund 880k while he absconded with 120k

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by LORDKing001: 4:27pm On Mar 30, 2023
One happened just yesterday to MOMO
Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by PrinceGallant: 4:42pm On Mar 30, 2023
Yes. I meant to transfer to a FBN account, unfortunately the account was of UBA. The same account number but different banks. I didn't check the account name when I transferred 50k and sent receipt to my brother. It was when he received the receipt and saw different name that he called my attention.

Long story cut short, I went to UBA to complain that I mistakenly sent money to one of their customers' account. And they helped me put a withdrawal limit to that account but asked me to go to my bank; FBN or court. I went to my bank, and they helped me look for the phone number of that receiver via his account number cum BVN.

We called him and after many talks he sent the money back to me. However when he got to his bank he has problem of withdrawal so he called me and I went back to UBA, wrote a letter and they lifted the limit on his account.

Note some UBA account numbers are the same with First Bank account numbers.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by marlow1962(m): 4:43pm On Mar 30, 2023
DUKEOFIBADAN:

Forget about being dumb, it occurs many times maybe due to trying to do many things at the same time. It happened to me once, I sent 100k to a wrong Gtb account till today I don’t know the person who owns the account because it looks like an Hausa name and Gtb bank was not helping either. I once received 3M from my business partner by mistake who saved my account number as beneficiary and I sent it to him back although we never met in person before but I’m bigger than that.
Cool you returned it, but why that costly mistake? Is the bank you're sending the money from not supposed to verify the receivers account number and name before send.
Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by highness25(m): 4:43pm On Mar 30, 2023
Keziehenry:
Please share your experience.
Someone mistakenly sent 10k to my opay account that I've not been using for over 5 years now. Now the account is blocked due to inactivity on the account, I've been trying to send back the money to him but to no avail. The money is still there

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by DoxxAnon: 4:44pm On Mar 30, 2023
1.5million.

Opened my internet banking app, searched saved beneficiaries using bank name and mistakenly clicked another name.

Luckily and fortunately, the recipient was a work colleague. In fact, it was the colleague that asked me why I credited them with 1.5m the next day at work which is when I realized my error.

Now I double and triple check before I hit send

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by marlow1962(m): 4:44pm On Mar 30, 2023
ceejayluv:

Dumb or not, mistake is a mistake. Especially when one is in a hurry or absent minded...

Happened to me Last two weeks. 7k . It was when I saw the transaction receipt, I saw an entirely different name. Was shocked.
Wow , I can't make such mistake with money.
Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by WowSweetGuy(m): 4:46pm On Mar 30, 2023
Mine was 4k5 mtn airtime to a wrong num because the person wrongly called it I want to send to actually
Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by yaki84: 4:48pm On Mar 30, 2023
Kobicove:

I don't think that type of matter can be settled by just calling customer care.

You would have to write a letter for documentary purpose
It happened to me, did mmistake while sending 1k airtym to my customer.
Called the number, it was switch off.
Tabled the mata to mtn customer care via whatsapp, the mumu don already used 400+ airtym, the remainder wad sent to me.
Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by Way4orward: 4:50pm On Mar 30, 2023
POS operators have an answer for this.
Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by Father4all: 4:51pm On Mar 30, 2023
Yes oo. I transferred to Access bank wrongly. I confronted my bank union bank with the person's account name and number but I still have not seen the money
Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by fecoleef123(m): 4:52pm On Mar 30, 2023
mine is that i want to buy 385 naira airtime then i but 3850 naira
Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by Lanre2024(m): 4:57pm On Mar 30, 2023
i never did such mistake
Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by haybee2018(m): 4:59pm On Mar 30, 2023
Enceladus:
I once did 15k airtime to the wrong number. grin grin

Thanks heaven say I dey use correct bank. They worked with my service provider and help me reverse the airtime to my number.

DJ WHYKAY (MULE!) grin
Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by pek(m): 5:04pm On Mar 30, 2023
Youngpaperboy:
have been trying since November 2022, Access just wan frustrate my life, that i should go and get a lawyer to get affidavit, bla bla bla... i just left them
Not affidavit but a court order. Normally, the lawyer will charge you like 5-10% of the amount. Use a high court. It takes a minimum of 12 working days. You will get your money
Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by SweetDipBenny(m): 5:06pm On Mar 30, 2023
Lies everywhere.. Some people can lie for no reason. grin
Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by guru90: 5:08pm On Mar 30, 2023
Mine: i mistakenly transfer 24k into wrong account (Opay account).
At end the of the number is 99, i mistakenly typed 96......

I called that number immediately..... Did u know what he said...?

He told me via phone, who asked u to send money to me.... That i prayed about the money.....

That person didn't return the money back till now.

Finally, He blocked my number.

That's how my money gone.

But, if it is me.... I will return the money immediately.

4 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by ceejayluv(m): 5:10pm On Mar 30, 2023
marlow1962:

Wow , I can't make such mistake with money.
That's what I Always said....
Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by Jamesbiodun(m): 5:11pm On Mar 30, 2023
I was high and I mistakenly send Airtime to someone else
Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by Kamachicho(f): 5:23pm On Mar 30, 2023
I once had a neighbour whose Diamond bank account then was erroneously credited with N300,000. The Aunty danced and said that their pastor had prayed for them to experience "crazy alert" so it was an answered prayer.

The following Sunday, she went to their church and gave testimony with the Mummy pastor telling her to do freewill offering on the received "crazy alert". By the end of the week she had spent half of the money ( to eat another person money dey sweet).

The owner of the money got in touch with the help of the bank asking her to send the money back but Aunty no gree. After a while, she couldn't withdraw but could pay in and that was her main account.

She looked for the money and returned every Kobo and stopped attending the church because testimony don get k-leg.

5 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by Paulpaulpaul(m): 5:30pm On Mar 30, 2023
One just entered my account just now, unfortunately, they used a POS. There's no how I can trace the owner.

I don't have but it breaks my heart to know that someone may cry to sleep because of this error. The POS boy/girl may not be paid this month.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Transferred Money To The Wrong Account? by oxiide22(m): 5:32pm On Mar 30, 2023
DUKEOFIBADAN:

Forget about being dumb, it occurs many times maybe due to trying to do many things at the same time. It happened to me once, I sent 100k to a wrong Gtb account till today I don’t know the person who owns the account because it looks like an Hausa name and Gtb bank was not helping either. I once received 3M from my business partner by mistake who saved my account number as beneficiary and I sent it to him back although we never met in person before but I’m bigger than that.
r please assist me

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

UPDATED: How Any Dummy Can Make Money Writing Online. / CEO Of Fairmoney, Laurin Hainy Hosts Podcast On Doing Business In Nigeria (vid) / How to Earn An Extra 45,000-95,000 Naira/month.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.