Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,609 members, 7,827,296 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:15 AM

Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story (26549 Views)

Pregnant Women And Weird Cravings! Share Your Story About Anyone!! / Have You Been Betrayed Before? Share Your Story, You Might Heal / Marriage Mentoring Class (mmc) For Couples With Marriages Age 0-7 (star Couples) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by Isholad11(m): 4:52pm On Apr 02, 2023
I am 46 years with 3 kids and 13 years in marriage. And I can confirm to you that money is the the only basis of a striving marriage. I have a very understanding and supportive wife who is not materialistic. Who are done with child bearing, so na enjoyment levels I dey so. Though there are moments of misunderstanding, but on the conclusion, I bless God for my decision 13 years ago.

12 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by 1Sharon(f): 4:52pm On Apr 02, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. How do you know this for a fact abeg? undecided

Kobojunkie:
First and foremost, marriage isn't rocket science, so this myth that only the married understand is foolish thinking. undecided

Second, none of what you described in your op is unique to married folks. Even children in kindergarten with friends can relate. undecided

Did you get married in-between the time you made this post till now?

1 Like

Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by Lemos14: 4:53pm On Apr 02, 2023
Socratiz:
It is interesting that young people these days see marriage in a different light from thebolder generation.

Many see marriage as a transactional relationship from which they can disengage for any flimsy reason. So the foundation is already insecure and when th slightest breeze blows, they step out of the relationship.

Some (especially some ladies) see marriage as a way to escape from poverty so they look for a guy with a fat account. If, for any reason the money disappears, the ladies opt out, in search of another guy.

It is even worse for young people who cannot take care of themselves getting married. I wonder the type of family they want to build.

I cannot enumerate the number of reasons people marry these day.

However, there are marriages that stand the test and stress of time. Let me add that the fact you have not seen a godly, happy and wonderful marriage does not mean they don't exist. It's just that bad news fly faster and people are more interested in reading news of failure.

To have a happy marriage, both parties need to prepare their minds that they will make the necessary sacrifices to stay married.

It's like when you get into the university. You make up you mind that whatever any lecturer does, you won't abandon your studies. Even if you finish with two Fs in a course, you resit th papers and continue.

Let me add that when you have to confront an issue which you don't know how to handle, it's best to consult a professional counsellor.

I say this from experience, having been married for over thirty years

Wow God continue to bless your marriage...you're still lucky because at least back then we still upheld moral values...but you see this generation? A lot of people have lost touch which reality especially the women because they are more deceived by social media..that's why to have a common relationship with them is next to impossible because all they know is billing

1 Like

Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by udemzyudex(m): 4:54pm On Apr 02, 2023
ibechris:

I totally disagree with u.

Don't use your situation to think others are passing through the same thing u are going through. In fact, the problem with most Nigerians is that,during courtships,most intending couples don't discuss matters that are of concern to their future.

They often don't prepare for the future and that is why,many are in dire need of financial and moral uplifting in their marriage.

In China,an average Chinese don't ever talk about marriage except they are able to acquire an apartment where he and his wife would live,but here in Nigeria,immediately a guy makes 5million naira he runs to marry and spend virtually all that he had acquired just to impress everyone.

That is why u see most marriage crashing on a daily basis.

Another reason is,most men marry liabilities and come back to regret ever making that mistake. I am not perfect,but I remembered asking my wife her financial role if we get married and what we would be investing our money into as time goes on. I also remembered,she once told me,that she would like me to take charge of whatever investment we shall be putting our money in since I was more versed in investment than her.

We discuss a lot that i can't say here.

Many intended couples invest so much time in preparing for wedding than preparing for marriage and the future ahead.

Lastly, before u prepare for marriage,sit down with ur wife to be,discuss money matters with her,don't marry a man or a woman who has no job,no hand work or education. If he or her parents are not rich,pls be careful. Some may be lucky while others may not be.

Note: many homes are enjoying their marriages and I am one of them,with this,i think I have made my points

Good luck.

True this man kelvin Samuel though late,I still watch his programs on YouTube says a lot about what you wrote here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by luluman: 4:55pm On Apr 02, 2023
[quote author=lavylilly post=122176579][/quote]Be carefull sharing your successes on social media, beware of prying eyes.

1 Like

Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by Octopusssy(f): 4:57pm On Apr 02, 2023
1Sharon:

Did you get married in-between the time you made this post till now?
grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by Rapture4real(m): 4:58pm On Apr 02, 2023
When a marriage is thriving, one of the partners is mad and the second partner is managing/coping with the madness When he/she cannot cope again,then bubble will bust. No marriage is completely rosy. Talking from almost 18 years of experience in marriage.

4 Likes

Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by KanuSE: 5:00pm On Apr 02, 2023
Nickymichy:
To the glory of God i am enjoying my marriage. My wife is a full house wife. Though no be say she want be full house wife but she never get work since we've been married. I provide everything in The house. My income no too gallant like that but i dey move the house as God dey help me. Saving money dey hard due to meeting up with the family needs. But i believe things will change fee or better soon. As for my wife, she is the best thing that can ever happened to a man. Considerate, not demanding, hardworking, i must say she is everything. With her help, my kids are doing wonderfully well in their academics. When am not at home, i know i have a capable hands to make things happen and also she a good cook. If money fit dey Wella, e go sweet pass like this..e get some things wey i for like do wey money dey fall person hand..just like what someone said, having a good woman is the best gift for your children...may God bless every homes.. amen

@bolded - just imagine it's the other way around...grin

But I salute you - you na man! 💪

1 Like

Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by Asour: 5:01pm On Apr 02, 2023
ibechris:

I totally disagree with u.

Don't use your situation to think others are passing through the same [/b]thing u are going through. In fact, [b]the problem with most Nigerians is that,during courtships,most intending couples don't discuss matters that are of concern to their future

They often don't prepare for the future and that is why,many are in dire need of financial and moral uplifting in their marriage.

In China,an average Chinese don't ever talk about marriage except they are able to acquire an apartment where he and his wife would live,but here in Nigeria,immediately a guy makes 5million naira he runs to marry and spend virtually all that he had acquired just to impress everyone.

That is why u see most marriage crashing on a daily basis.

Another reason is,most men marry liabilities and come back to regret ever making that mistake. I am not perfect,but I remembered asking my wife her financial role if we get married and what we would be investing our money into as time goes on. I also remembered,she once told me,that she would like me to take charge of whatever investment we shall be putting our money in since I was more versed in investment than her.

We discuss a lot that i can't say here.

Many intended couples invest so much time in preparing for wedding than preparing for marriage and the future ahead.

Lastly, before u prepare for marriage,sit down with ur wife to be,discuss money matters with her,don't marry a man or a woman who has no job,no hand work or education. If he or her parents are not rich,pls be careful. Some may be lucky while others may not be.

Note: many homes are enjoying their marriages and I am one of them,with this,i think I have made my points

Good luck.

You criticized his comments for generalization but went on to make your own generalizations.

And who says the Average Chinese gets an Apartment before he marries.

The many Chinese who don't even see their children from urban factory jobs in cities or have troubles paying their mortgages yet are married are from what Nation?

3 Likes

Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by Adexgentle005(m): 5:02pm On Apr 02, 2023
EriMma1:
Even thriving marriages have their ups and downs which only the fittest can survive. At the end of the day, na bills and responsibilities you go still meet inside the marriage, thriving or no thriving. So, nothing special. Just enduring suffering and smiling.

Owo ni Koko.

You have said it all. I was looking helplessly when landlord came to chase my neighbor away around 4am because he couldn’t pay his house rent and was given quit notice. Quit notice don expire and baba still dey the house. It wasn’t funny sha. Na Bills and responsibility you go meet for marriage!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by engrelvis(m): 5:07pm On Apr 02, 2023
Tolerance, forgiveness, am sorry n thank u.
Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by EriMma1: 5:08pm On Apr 02, 2023
Adexgentle005:
You have said it all. I was looking helplessly when landlord came to chase my neighbor away around 4am because he couldn’t pay his house rent and was given quit notice. Quit notice don expire and baba still dey the house. It wasn’t funny sha. Na Bills and responsibility you go meet for marriage!

Eeiyaa.. so pathetic.
Where are they now?
Ha God help your children.
Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by Eriokanmi: 5:11pm On Apr 02, 2023
Tolerance and maturity ni ooo. You've got to be a gentleman to the core to enjoy your marriage.

Women are uniformly wired, quote me anywhere. That's all I can say. Marriage isn't for the boys.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by Newnas(m): 5:11pm On Apr 02, 2023
1Sharon:

Jenifa had money. Her husband did not.
Because he isn't popular or loud?
You must be joking!

1 Like

Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by 1Sharon(f): 5:13pm On Apr 02, 2023
Newnas:

Because he isn't popular or loud?
You must be joking!

His haydays had passed.

Who threw who out of whose house?
Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by Oracleee: 5:15pm On Apr 02, 2023
IyaebeTheGreat:
Yes, I have five kids already

No wonder your utterances on the other thread. I won't be calling you a baby factory but I'm tempted too.
Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by johnnyever(m): 5:17pm On Apr 02, 2023
Respect her opinion Even you don't like it
Tolerate his or her short coming and correct him or her in love.
Let her see you the bread winner of the house by providing necessary things needed for the family.
Don't be a lord over her, she knows you the head
In the process of argument don't sit down arguing with her because it is not a competition.
Respect her mood.
Make her happy by giving her surprise once in awhile. Etc

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by Mamijoh(f): 5:17pm On Apr 02, 2023
nabiz:
married for 9years when we hardly eat, and till date we have never had a problem that last more than 12 ours. We did not just married till life do us apart, our marriage is till life and eternity. 9 years of marriage without pastor, fried or family members to come and settle us. My wife is the woman any man can have. I have the most wonderful family a man can think of
I'm happy for you
Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by adioolayi(m): 5:17pm On Apr 02, 2023
Marriage na like your personal life issues as a single person...

When you have your ups...you are happy, you feel good, exciting , charming....

When you have your downs...you try get up, you try find your way back up, you encourage yourself, you push harder....YOU DONT CUT OFF YOUR OWN VERY HEAD.... grin grin grin

That's exactly how marriage should be..

When you are courting atleast, you have something driving both of you crazy, you are happy together with each other..and sometimes you have issues and resolve them together, while dating....you carry such happy moments, memories, affections and conflict resolution enter marriage....so, you should try and treat your marriage as you treat yourselves individually when life issues come at you....Celebrate your happy moments together and when things no go as planned, give yourself headup, encourage yourselves in marriage, talk and fight it through till you are back up....That's how it is.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by iyaamoke: 5:17pm On Apr 02, 2023
My marriage will be 20 years old in June. I have had my share of pain and tears particularly in my early years of marriage but over the years as both my husband and I grew, I have cone to understand the following:
1. To have a successful marriage, you have to be a continuous forgiver
2. You must be ready to serve selflessly both your husband and offsprings. In this wise, you may lose yourself but eventually, the rewards surpass the sacrifice
3. Learn to overlook issues that won't rock the boat of your marriage. You needn't nag or complain over every issue. Just allow something to rest
4. Submission as a wife (I learnt this really late and it robbed me of a lot of peace and joy). I have since come to realise that submission to your husband will break the hardest of hearts. By the way, why struggle over control with him? By the time he becomes old, he will depend on you to make sure all is going well. Then, you can call the shots if you like
5. Keep your relationship with God intact. This helps your heart to stay on course. The Spirt of God prompts you when you start misbehaving
6. As for money, trust me, the multitude of it doesn't make a peaceful home. Granted, lack of it may be frustrating but once you both learn to cut your coats according to your cloth, you will be fine
Hope this helps someone. Enjoy the week ahead

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by LoudlyMouthed: 5:17pm On Apr 02, 2023
wink
Akwamkpuruamu:
All I have to say here are my experiences in my marriage. I have been married for five years now with two kids, Girl and boy. What works for me in my home may not work for you.

1. Tolerance is the first thing every man should have in marriage. You see women, your wife, they can dare you to a fault. Especially when your wife knows that you can't physically assault her based on your personal decision not to lay your hands on her, she will push you to the wall. How do I overcome that temptation, I walk out or I pretend as if I'm not hearing her nags by paying 100% attention to my phone.
2. SEX: This is an issue that most women use as a bargaining chip or power over a man especially when she believes you are 100% faithful to her. HOWEVER, if she understands that you get side chick, she will to an extent understand that she doesn't have the monopoly of denying you that. I'm such a man that I'm soft hearted. If I want to deny her money which is my own bargaining power when she denies me sex, I think about how I will feel to see her starved or deny her what she can put to look good, I just give.
3. It's not always good to hand over your finances to a woman to manage. NA LIE, every woman is selfish. If she's not selfish to using the money for her personal needs, she sends it to her family. I no de give my wife wetin I no say if she no gimme account well of how she spent it e go vex me well.

.... To be contd
Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by LoudlyMouthed: 5:19pm On Apr 02, 2023
wink
iyaamoke:
My marriage will be 20 years old in June. I have had my share of pain and tears particularly in my early years of marriage but over the years as both my husband and I grew, I have cone to understand the following:
1. To have a successful marriage, you have to be a continuous forgiver
2. You must be ready to serve selflessly both your husband and offsprings. In this wise, you may lose yourself but eventually, the rewards surpass the sacrifice
3. Learn to overlook issues that won't rock the boat of your marriage. You needn't nag or complain over every issue. Just allow something to rest
4. Submission as a wife (I learnt this really late and it robbed me of a lot of peace and joy). I have since come to realise that submission to your husband will break the hardest of hearts. By the way, why struggle over control with him? By the time he becomes old, he will depend on you to make sure all is going well. Then, you can call the shots if you like
5. Keep your relationship with God intact. This helps your heart to stay on course. The Spirt of God prompts you when you start misbehaving
6. As for money, trust me, the multitude of it doesn't make a peaceful home. Granted, lack of it may be frustrating but once you both learn to cut your coats according to your cloth, you will be fine
Hope this helps someone. Enjoy the week ahead
Wonderful ma'am
May God Almighty bless you abundantly
Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by salem1996: 5:20pm On Apr 02, 2023
EriMma1:

By the bolded I mean doing well in other areas apart from the financial aspect. I don't know if that makes sense.

Most people that wants to make money before enjoying marriage actually got married with the notion of enjoying money. My bro doesn't earn way much, but he and his wife are couples I so admire every living day.

Believe in Jesus, Work hard, be faithful to one another and you enjoy your home. These days, people get married out of too many selfish reasons and once they finds out their needs can't be met, then they call it suffering and bandage.

There are people who are truly living a fulfill married life here on earth. Person way say God and church no deh important, marriage go show am pepper cheesy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by OGHENAOGIE(m): 5:21pm On Apr 02, 2023
Pojomojo:
Thank you for your honest contribution.
one thing with nairaland is too much negativity or jokes cos it's mostly anonymous... Pple should share stories but na go here go there we just de read... The person quoting china forget in China govt handle or run mostly everything unlike Nigeria besides 5m as someone said is big money... Again it's a myopic woman that ll be thinking of just marriage celebration without how the marriage ll look like...

1 Like

Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by starpower(m): 5:22pm On Apr 02, 2023
My oga number 9 is the answer. My wife and I had quite a lot of issues on till this. Talk less. I just ensure I complain twice a month. No wahala after.
franchasofficia:
As a married man with 4 year old successful marriage, I would advice single men to take note of the following before going into marriage:

1.) Marry a mature lady not babies below 25yrs

2.) Marry your friend not just your lover

3.) Make sure you have a steady means of earning legitimate income before you marry. It could be a job, a thriving or promising business or trade, just make sure you have a sustainable job or a promising business or trade with office or shop before you go into marriage.

4.) Have it at the back of your mind that the number one thing that have the greatest potential of destroying your marriage is lack of money, followed by careless cheating.

5.) Expect lots of financial responsibility, so make sure you have the traditional man's mindset to be the sole provider for your wife and kids and family as a whole, don't expect much financial contributions from your wife. Pray to God for this and God will give you the finance to remain in charge of your family and marriage, God answers honest prayers like this more than ever.

6.) Expect less from your wife financially whether she is working, rich or not, just take your eyes off whatever money your wife makes or has and work for your own money and be ready to foot your family's bills 100% without fear or murmuring, this is one sure way to protect your marriage and be in total control.

7.) Don't marry a jobless lady, don't marry a lady without prospect. Even if she is jobless during your courtship, make sure you assist her start something before you marry her.

Being broke, jobless and idle is a sign of laziness don't listen to any excuse, a productive lady will definitely find a way to start something to earn some money while single. Avoid lazy, entitled ladies, they are not meant to be married unless as second wives to rich old men or old widowers and old moneybags, avoid them as a single man

8.) The family background of the girl you want to marry is important, don't do city marriage, find time and know who her parents, siblings, cousins and uncles are if possible, know her root before you marry ghost.

9.) Learn to speak less as a man in your marriage. Learn not to argue with your wife. Listen more, sometimes my wife wonders if I am a deaf and dumb cos I can listen to her gist me about several things without contributing much until she makes jest of me that I too like ameebo then I can contribute or tell her to gist more that she knows I enjoy listening to stories na grin

10.) Be ready to take care of your kids not just financially but in helping to bath them, dress them, change their diapers, etc. Despite the fact that we have helps and Nannies, I still bath my kids once in a while, I still change their diapers myself, I dress them myself, I play a lot with them and they have a permanent car seat installed in all my cars cos I love carrying them about whenever necessary.

To the ladies, learn to respect your man and also avoid cheating on your husband, these two things are the two major sins a typical Nigerian man will never forgive his wife for.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by Cmeo(m): 5:23pm On Apr 02, 2023
Zonefree:
Any man under the age of 45 coming here to say he's enjoying a thriving marriage with his Nigerian wife is telling a big fat lie!

I do 100% and I am under 45 with 9 years married experience as at today
Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by Isabi4lov: 5:23pm On Apr 02, 2023
Na suffering and smiling plenty pass. undecided
Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by Creditalerts: 5:24pm On Apr 02, 2023
I'm scared of marriage because I hate being broke 😭😭😭

1 Like

Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by luckedesiri(m): 5:26pm On Apr 02, 2023
lavylilly:
We do not want negativity na, share if you have got an experience
.... This is reality not negativity...... For relationship, you're responsible for yourself alone and partly for your babe.... But in marriage, you're responsible for yourself, your babe... Your kids, and in alot of cases, her family and when you're not able to live up to your responsibilities, all hell will be let lose...

1 Like

Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by Eriokanmi: 5:26pm On Apr 02, 2023
dododawa1:
Money money money money money money money money money money money and money money
Fake,fake, fake and lies.
I married my wife when we both had nothing. We maried in one room with a toilet and bathroom built together. Our kitchen was outside the building. I remember in those days when rain would be beating us each time we went out to bring our cooked food inside. My wife and I were both graduates, just managing. Today, we're both happily married with great children, a mansion of our own and all the blessings of life. We've travelled the world and doing our business.

In marriage, love first. Money is secondary. Sadly, the latter is what determines people's marriage nowadays which is why they're getting it wrong. As a man, you've got to be a gentleman to the core cos women are same everywhere. Tolerance is key.

7 Likes

Re: Couples With Thriving Marriages, Please Share Your Story by LoudlyMouthed: 5:27pm On Apr 02, 2023
Have you read: You can have a bad wife but shouldn't have a bad in-law. Only with God on your side, as in, that's the strongest strength anyone can ever have to fight a bad in-law

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Can A Man Settle Down With 50k As Salary? / Housewife Takes Rat Poison In Jigawa To Protest Husband’s Plan To Take 2nd Wife / Smith Takema: It’s Ungodly For You To Marry Woman Without Giving Her Enough Sex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.