Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,455 members, 7,816,050 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:11 AM

What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? (72703 Views)

How Desperate Nigerians Seeking Asylum, Usually Lie To America & Other Countries / Africa Countries That Started And Completed Their Rail Mass Transit After Lagos / 6 Common Things We Do That Cause Accident While Driving (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by kiddkash(m): 9:21pm On Apr 25, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
LoL ivory coast. The same one I know. Continue to cap. As horrible as Nigeria is, the only African country better than Nigeria is south Africa.
Travel out of Nigeria and see. Go to Ghana or Rwanda or Ivory coast or Senegal. And see that our ancestors placed a curse on us

1 Like

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Mexyz(m): 9:22pm On Apr 25, 2023
aboyaji:

Gambia is a very good place to be. If you have the cash.

Going to ivory Coast should take up to 80k. But you must factor hotel bills and normal itinerary too
The 80k is transportation only and it's by road right?
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Franklerry: 9:24pm On Apr 25, 2023
When it comes to standard of living, I give it to french country, I have live it Gabon. Light, gas ,cloth, food, house rent u pay monthly, no agreement and commission, salad , ice cream that you buy here in big place overther you buy it on the street...life good there....they like enjoyment

5 Likes

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by kiddkash(m): 9:25pm On Apr 25, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
LoL ivory coast. The same one I know. Continue to cap. As horrible as Nigeria is, the only African country better than Nigeria is south Africa.
Visit the capital of Ivory coast Yamoussoukro

1 Like

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by kiddkash(m): 9:29pm On Apr 25, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Nigeria better pass Namibia. Job no dey that country. I no consider those north African countries as African nations na. I have been to Morocco and everything about it felt and looked European down to the most basic Infrastructure. When I talk Africa, na black man countries for Africa I dey talk.
Visit Rwanda or Seychelles or Zanzibar, Tanzania

1 Like

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by ClearFlair: 9:29pm On Apr 25, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

You don't know anything

1 Like

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Akharmony: 9:32pm On Apr 25, 2023
Nigeria is just in the hand of people who dont even have love, wicked humans parading has traditional rukers, spiritual leaders, government official and the rest of them . .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Emoregan: 9:36pm On Apr 25, 2023
DearGorgeous:

Please don't listen to this sugar quote story oo. Ivory coast mostly Abidjan is very costly oo. I stay there for more than a year. House rent is very expensive. A standard room self con is about 45k per month, something we pay 120k to 150k a year in Nigeria. No better soup there but always expensive too. Cheapest bottle of beer is 600 CFA while Cheapest beer in Nigeria is about 300 naira. CFA is equivalent to naira now. The only place that is cool is the light. Language barrier is another wahala. Gambia is better please. Even as we claim that Nigeria is not good, my dear Nigeria is far better than most Africa countries.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I will like to visit the Gambia. And now that Ivory Coast is in the offing, I will try visiting there too.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Goalnaldo(m): 9:38pm On Apr 25, 2023
In nigeria, to enjoy most of the good things, you need to have a high income or move to highbrow areas like lekki, abuja etc but if what the OP said of ivory coast is true, you enjoy life even with your little income. Thats the difference between standard of living and quality of life.

1 Like

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by ZolotuaLorenzo(m): 9:40pm On Apr 25, 2023
aboyaji:

Gambia is a very good place to be. If you have the cash.

Going to ivory Coast should take up to 80k. But you must factor hotel bills and normal itinerary too

Please explain elaborately, 80k , how ?
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Machinegun91(m): 9:41pm On Apr 25, 2023
Actually, to be sincerely honest in my humble opinion without being sentimental of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view and without hiding any thoughts in my mind and without lies to the actual truth with my clear open mind and clean heart, expressing what ever is embedded inside me for a long time which I didn't say because I was nervous. But today, by gathering all the courage and motivation, I just want to say that I actually feel and think that I have nothing to say

1 Like

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by zumbigbo(m): 9:42pm On Apr 25, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Web development. Unemployment is a huge problem in Africa. For instance even though south Africa has the most job openings in Africa. It has less job openings than Uruguay a country of less than 5 million people in south America and much lower salaries. I noticed this two years ago and even made a thread on it

https://www.nairaland.com/6079537/cant-escape-africa-please-not
You sir are wise and apply wisdom

Things have actually gotten worst since I made this thread on the African continent
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by chosengocap: 9:53pm On Apr 25, 2023
aboyaji:
I'll go first...

1. Cooking gas: Cooking gas is very cheap in ivory Coast. It costs an average of #330/kg of gas. So refilling a 12.5 kg cylinder should cost you #4125 at most.

2. Kerosene: kerosene costs relatively about #650/ litre in the fuel station, where the black market sells for #800/ litre.

Note : This country's oil production is very poor o. They're not even anywhere close to Naija's production.

3. Organisation: Ivory coast is very well organized that you can barely run into unorganized environment. Many areas are safely guarded by their local police officers stationed almost everywhere. You can as well make friends with the officers easily without any form of threat from them. They're very welcoming.

4. Very low violent place: People can move around as late as 10pm till dawn without the fear of harassment or violence. In fact, children play in the tarred road as late as 10pm. They have already come to terms about how safe they are in the country. People can stay up late wherever they went to without rushing back home due to nightfall. Night movements was my best !

5. Good Road network: I spent close to 7 months in ivory Coast and could barely see a road untarred. Almost every road I used was smoothly done and stretched to various cities and States. The only place my leg touched Sandy soil was in my compound because the landlord was still constructing more buildings in the site. So our compound was sandy at the moment.
Tarred road stretched into all compounds in ivory Coast. It's not the responsibility of the government to do your compound, it's yours. I was marvelled by such development though I spent most of my time in the rural area.

6. Security: Police is your friend is the Moto in ivory Coast. Really nice people. I guess I've said it somewhere before now.

6a. Theft is ALMOST uncertainty. The prepaid meter of every individual house is stationed outside the main building without burglary or iron shield. Anybody can touch it. It wasn't even stationed very high from the ground level. It went only as far as 3-4 feets high. A child of 10 can touch it too.

Our apartment is in a 2 storey building comprising of almost 33 units of one bedroom apartments. The building was built like a shopping complex. All of the prepaid meters used in this apartments are stationed outside where everyone can see and feel it. But no one steals it, likewise every other houses there.

6b. Once there was a particular theft in my ivorian friend's shop that I know of. There were 5 boys who was involved in burgling his computer and phone shop one night. But before 5am, the boys were all caught with the complete stolen items retrieved. Funny enough, my friend didn't know. He was woken up by the police to come to his shop and see the guys. And he didn't have to SETTLE THE POLICE FOR DOING THEIR JOBS grin.

7. There is constant electricity in that country. CONSTANT.
I only observed a few nightouts and those periods were understandable. They all know when the lights would go off in the week or month and have come to terms with it. Light doesn't go off intermittently as obtained in Nigeria. And throughout my stay there, I didn't pay for light bill or water. My caretaker didn't mention it to me too. I was surprised. Steady light cheesy

8. Economy: Their economy is very good. It's almost equaling to the Naira at the time I left. So, if you hear 500 CFA there, it's almost equivalent to 500 Naira. So don't do too much calculation.

8a. Minimum wage is very much respected and applied. A POS attendant over their is living a good standard life. A bar attendant earns about 20,000 CFA weekly... WEEKLY o. I mean a local bar attendant. How much more a corporate hotel or bar attendant or waiter.

8b. The money you earn can fetch you a standard living. Their money is easily made and spent too.

9. FOOD grin grin grin: Our area of specialty.

Food is over cheap compared to what's obtained in Naija. You can see someone who earns little but could afford chicken or any frozen food. Food is not part of their problems for now. Banana can go as low as 50 CFA or 50 Naira and it is not the small quantity we're talking about.

A bunch of Bananas that you can get from a roadside vendor in Naija for 800 could be gotten for 150 CFA. So you see it. Once I bought 2 Bunches of banana for 50 each, I couldn't finish them for 3 days.

9a. So sorry, vegetables can be scarcely found there my dear. I made most of my soup without vegetables. That part I didn't enjoy undecided

That's for now. Anybody can add.

There are lots of veggies there you didn't just know where to get them .

1 Like

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by drololaaof: 9:58pm On Apr 25, 2023
aboyaji:
I'll go first...

1. Cooking gas: Cooking gas is very cheap in ivory Coast. It costs an average of #330/kg of gas. So refilling a 12.5 kg cylinder should cost you #4125 at most.

2. Kerosene: kerosene costs relatively about #650/ litre in the fuel station, where the black market sells for #800/ litre.

Note : This country's oil production is very poor o. They're not even anywhere close to Naija's production.

3. Organisation: Ivory coast is very well organized that you can barely run into unorganized environment. Many areas are safely guarded by their local police officers stationed almost everywhere. You can as well make friends with the officers easily without any form of threat from them. They're very welcoming.

4. Very low violent place: People can move around as late as 10pm till dawn without the fear of harassment or violence. In fact, children play in the tarred road as late as 10pm. They have already come to terms about how safe they are in the country. People can stay up late wherever they went to without rushing back home due to nightfall. Night movements was my best !

5. Good Road network: I spent close to 7 months in ivory Coast and could barely see a road untarred. Almost every road I used was smoothly done and stretched to various cities and States. The only place my leg touched Sandy soil was in my compound because the landlord was still constructing more buildings in the site. So our compound was sandy at the moment.
Tarred road stretched into all compounds in ivory Coast. It's not the responsibility of the government to do your compound, it's yours. I was marvelled by such development though I spent most of my time in the rural area.

6. Security: Police is your friend is the Moto in ivory Coast. Really nice people. I guess I've said it somewhere before now.

6a. Theft is ALMOST uncertainty. The prepaid meter of every individual house is stationed outside the main building without burglary or iron shield. Anybody can touch it. It wasn't even stationed very high from the ground level. It went only as far as 3-4 feets high. A child of 10 can touch it too.

Our apartment is in a 2 storey building comprising of almost 33 units of one bedroom apartments. The building was built like a shopping complex. All of the prepaid meters used in this apartments are stationed outside where everyone can see and feel it. But no one steals it, likewise every other houses there.

6b. Once there was a particular theft in my ivorian friend's shop that I know of. There were 5 boys who was involved in burgling his computer and phone shop one night. But before 5am, the boys were all caught with the complete stolen items retrieved. Funny enough, my friend didn't know. He was woken up by the police to come to his shop and see the guys. And he didn't have to SETTLE THE POLICE FOR DOING THEIR JOBS grin.

7. There is constant electricity in that country. CONSTANT.
I only observed a few nightouts and those periods were understandable. They all know when the lights would go off in the week or month and have come to terms with it. Light doesn't go off intermittently as obtained in Nigeria. And throughout my stay there, I didn't pay for light bill or water. My caretaker didn't mention it to me too. I was surprised. Steady light cheesy

8. Economy: Their economy is very good. It's almost equaling to the Naira at the time I left. So, if you hear 500 CFA there, it's almost equivalent to 500 Naira. So don't do too much calculation.

8a. Minimum wage is very much respected and applied. A POS attendant over their is living a good standard life. A bar attendant earns about 20,000 CFA weekly... WEEKLY o. I mean a local bar attendant. How much more a corporate hotel or bar attendant or waiter.

8b. The money you earn can fetch you a standard living. Their money is easily made and spent too.

9. FOOD grin grin grin: Our area of specialty.

Food is over cheap compared to what's obtained in Naija. You can see someone who earns little but could afford chicken or any frozen food. Food is not part of their problems for now. Banana can go as low as 50 CFA or 50 Naira and it is not the small quantity we're talking about.

A bunch of Bananas that you can get from a roadside vendor in Naija for 800 could be gotten for 150 CFA. So you see it. Once I bought 2 Bunches of banana for 50 each, I couldn't finish them for 3 days.

9a. So sorry, vegetables can be scarcely found there my dear. I made most of my soup without vegetables. That part I didn't enjoy undecided

That's for now. Anybody can add.
That's one beauty of Francophone countries, go to nearby Republic of Benin things are relatively better than in naija,traffic control is super excellence see motor bike riders going easy on the yoads.

1 Like

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by xjxibozrge: 10:01pm On Apr 25, 2023
Holywizard:
He's lying ooo.

Accomodations are expensive.
I stayed in Abijan for 4 months.
Cassava leaf is their main vegetable

cheesy
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by MuMuOnBail: 10:03pm On Apr 25, 2023
na waoooo

I visited Abidjan their country capital and stayer for Two weeks.

Na run I take comot from there.

Please no one should take this guy serious or this post serious.

Those guys na proper Omila, Ole, Barawo, On-yoshi.

Before their Civil war it was OK but after their civil war or na crisis.

I can list 30 states out of the 36 states minus Abuja that is far far better than Ivory Coast.

4 Likes

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by alibiz: 10:03pm On Apr 25, 2023
[quote author=aboyaji post=122660893]10. The use of generators: I never heard the sound of generators throughout my stay there. Even barbershops don't have it. Light is in abundance. Many times I cut my hair in their shops, I looked out for generator even one of those days there was interruption in power, no barber owned a generator to assist his work. Nobody at all. Total blackouts is generally distributed once there's interruption due to maintenance.

Why won't the barbers make it, financially there? cheesy[/quote

Ordinary Niger republic here, electricity is 24/7 and na Nigeria give them light
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by MuMuOnBail: 10:04pm On Apr 25, 2023
na waoooo

I visited Abidjan their country capital and stayed for Two Months.

Na run I take comot from there. Ashi too full there die!!!

I can list 30 states out of the 36 states minus Abuja that is far far better than Ivory Coast.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by MuMuOnBail: 10:04pm On Apr 25, 2023
na waoooo

I visited Abidjan and their country capital Yamoussoukro for Two Months.

Na run I take comot from there. Ashi too full there die!!!

My preek nearly break

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Holluwhakemmy(f): 10:10pm On Apr 25, 2023
DearGorgeous:
@Op - How much do I need to travel for let's say, three (3) weeks vacation to Ivory Coast? I was considering the Gambia initially, but it's like I already have a change of mind.
kindly take me along I'm interested too
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Wotowotoman: 10:11pm On Apr 25, 2023
gentlegenius:

This is why I hate commenting on Nairaland... I dislike running into stubborn fools like you who walks only a metre and think they've been through a mile. I don't have time to argue with you about your travelling to many African countries or to brag about the places I've been to. But with a sincere answer to the simple question I asked earlier, and with a little common sense, you should be able to tell yourself the truth.
If Naija is better than those countries, why do we have many Nigerians schooling and hustling in those countries where as, you can't find people from those countries coming here to school or hustle?
If you can't answer this question, stop quoting me, because it is either you are to foolish to know the truth or you are too pompous to admit the truth.

No, you are the foolish one. Do you know the population of Nigeria? A small percentage of Nigerians enter a country to hustle and voila it seems as if a whole country is there. So that’s your answer mr Mugu. Our population exaggerates a lot of things.

Do you know there are a whole lot of other African nationals trooping in to Naija to hustle? You will find them in every walk of life. From trading to prostitution to music to TV to cooks to servants just name it. You must be foolish if you didn’t know that many African nationals are studying in our schools.

Go to other African countries and see how they take Nigeria. But a foolish person like you wouldn’t know because you are not exposed. All you know is what you see on Nairaland. Stop being stupid and work hard so that you can afford to travel and see the world. Lazy youth!

5 Likes

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by LeopardX: 10:15pm On Apr 25, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Nigeria better pass Namibia. Job no dey that country. I no consider those north African countries as African nations na. I have been to Morocco and everything about it felt and looked European down to the most basic Infrastructure. When I talk Africa, na black man countries for Africa I dey talk.
They call the bolded sub-saharan Africa angry
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by gaddafe(m): 10:19pm On Apr 25, 2023
Can someone confirm if what the OP said is true? I might start considering relocating there.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Babaken(m): 10:21pm On Apr 25, 2023
One thing I love much is their water very clean and stable the major thing I don't like it's their parttan of building house like hostel and high cost of renting.

1 Like

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by lildush(m): 10:22pm On Apr 25, 2023
Orfankwagh:
Every country good,na only NIGERIA my country no good. Yet some people with all the OP write up here,them still they support that cartel man make e come add fuel ontop the small damages wey we dey fight against.

Don't mind Dem.. I just don't know what is wrong with people. Dey bribe u wit small change. U loose ur sanity .. and do unimaginable things .. like supporting tinubu. This is d greatest evil I have seen lately. Under d sun..
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Heffalump(m): 10:26pm On Apr 25, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Sit down at your Yaba and be typing nonsense.

Travel to all these small African countries and you'll comeback to Nigeria and cry like baby.
Yes, some of them may not be so rich perse, but you'll marvel at their organization, frugality, friendliness, sanitation, peace, and security. The aural of the environment speaks it all.
You will later understand why Nigeria is often referred to as a zoo.

Let me tell you, our leaders have killed and buried Nigeria long ago. We don't have leaders. We are the most WICKED set of humans on earth. God save us!

4 Likes

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by PotatoSalad(m): 10:26pm On Apr 25, 2023
Greatness09:
Same thing someone visiting Nigeria and stayed only in Lekki will say Nigeria is a very beautiful and organized place…..LMAO 😂😂😂

Take keke go Ikorodu first
🤣🤣🤣
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by ultimateprof: 10:28pm On Apr 25, 2023
Nigeria is heel fire!
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Babaken(m): 10:28pm On Apr 25, 2023
gaddafe:
Can someone confirm if what the OP said is true? I might start considering relocating there.
is 90% true their are lovely people I was there last December.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:28pm On Apr 25, 2023
Heffalump:

Sit down at your Yaba and be typing nonsense.

Travel to all these small African countries and you'll comeback to Nigeria and cry like baby.
Yes, some of them may not be so rich perse, but you'll marvel at their organization, frugality, friendliness, sanitation, peace, and security. The aural of the environment speaks it all.
You will later understand why Nigeria is often referred to as a zoo.

Let me tell you, our leaders have killed and buried Nigeria long ago. We don't have leaders. We are the most WICKED set of humans on earth. God save us!

Really nice of you to assume that I haven't visited any of these African shithole countries before grin grin grin.

2 Likes

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Litmus: 10:29pm On Apr 25, 2023
Orfankwagh:
Every country good, na only NIGERIA my country no good.

If you're older than 9-yo such a line of thought should make you sit back, scratch your head, then laugh in sudden realisation at just how ridiculous, arrogant and delusional Africans can be. And a little later, it shouldn't cross your mind to actuality declare the thought on any public platform except in sarcasm. Yet you weren't being sarcastic as your latter political sermons indicated; so, just how old are you?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Twitter War: Nigeria Vs Kenya (Photos) / Huge Rock In Saudi Arabia Looks Like It Was Cut In Half With Laser Beam(Pics) / Uche Osagie's 3 Children Die In New Year's Crash In Canada (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.