Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:10 AM

5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria (40151 Views)

Japa: ‘many Nigerians Trapped In Illegal Marriage Contract Abroad’ / Should You Japa (with Family) On A Study Visa In 2024? / "Last Born": 5 Things You Can Relate To As The Youngest Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by TyroneP(m): 7:39am On Apr 28, 2023
‘Japa’, a lingo in Nigeria for deliberate exit from the country especially for greener pastures abroad, has been a constant happening over the last few years with students, professionals and partners forming the chunk of those fleeing its shores.

As enticing as the idea of being in a relatively ‘better’ country is, the experiences of people who have left have continued to prove that truly ‘there is no place like home.’
Taking a look at the diverse peculiarities of Nigeria, here are five things you will miss if you find yourself abroad.
Nigerian Foods

Food is peculiar to every country. And Nigeria, with its plethora of ethnic groups, has a slew of foods its citizens don’t joke with. From Amala, to Akpu, Ogbono, Bread and Beans down to Moi Moi, these are foods that are dear to every Nigerian, and no amount of civilization can unplug the relish for these foods.

The moment you are leaving the shores of the country, you are as well leaving behind these ‘unique’ delectables whose tastes are never the same even when taken outside of their place of origin ( Largely because they’re transported to other markets with lots of additives that change the organic tastes ).

2. Weather

If there is a thing in Nigeria that is highly underappreciated, it is the weather. Nigerians in the diaspora have always expressed their struggles with the frosty weather abroad, and how much they miss the cozy and friendly weather in the country.

3. Family and Friends

Moving to a new country most times entails leaving behind family members and friends who you might not see for as long as your stay abroad. Though technology helps us connect beyond boundaries, the feeling of being physically around your family members and friends is matchless.

4. Owambe

Nigeria is ‘big’ on parties – and that is on period. Flamboyant, lavish, expensive, food-filled, dramatic, these features of the Owambe parties are unequaled anywhere in the world. It is one of the many things that make Nigeria exclusive, and being in the country unparalleled.

5. Free Amenities

Abroad you pay for almost everything from as high as electricity bills to as low as water bills. Their social amenities are prioritized, and it works in a way that you cannot evade paying for the bills of the amenities you use. In Nigeria, water bills are scarce as almost everyone has their own system of getting water; indiscriminate parking of cars is common but can’t be dared abroad without you being ticketed.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/04/5-things-you-will-miss-when-you-japa-from-nigeria/

47 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Nobody: 7:49am On Apr 28, 2023
Add jumping protocols 🤣🤣🤣🤣

175 Likes 11 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by TemplarLandry: 8:02am On Apr 28, 2023
Lol

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by headofschool: 8:27am On Apr 28, 2023
I'm telling you, there is more freedom in Nigeria than those places where we claimed security of lives abroad.

77 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Mindlog: 11:20am On Apr 28, 2023
headofschool:
I'm telling you, there is more freedom in Nigeria than those places where we claimed security of lives abroad.

Freedom to do what?

186 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Mindlog: 11:22am On Apr 28, 2023
I don't miss any Nigerian food because it is sold here cooked or you get it raw and cook at home.

126 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by JeffreyJunior: 4:30pm On Apr 28, 2023
headofschool:
Freedom to do illegal things?

Tell me one real freedom Nigerians have that people in the West don't have?

162 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by sisisioge: 4:55pm On Apr 28, 2023
Add naija life bands and clubs. Their own be like noisy bars.

Also add cheap chore handlers. Eg, Gateman you pay extra 5k to wash your car daily, the cleaner that comes twice per week for 4k, the live in maids, etc.

Cheap hair dressers and lovely braids

Cheap equipments like computers, phones, washing machines, stoves, TV.

It is well o.

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 6:09pm On Apr 28, 2023
headofschool:
■ I'm telling you, there is more freedom in Nigeria than those places where we claimed security of lives abroad.
1. What freedom abeg? undecided

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Rokiat(f): 6:46pm On Apr 28, 2023
There’s no where like home, but you wouldn’t know until you finally leave.

Its the same thing as a rich man telling you money is not everything and you don’t understand because you are actually poor and can’t afford basic necessities so your brain wouldn’t process it till you actually have money.

191 Likes 9 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Oluromantic: 9:01pm On Apr 28, 2023
Yeah make I miss them. E pay me to miss them than to remain here and have them

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by JeffreyJunior: 9:07pm On Apr 28, 2023
Rokiat:
There’s no where like home, but you wouldn’t know until you finally leave.

Its the same thing as a rich man telling you money is not everything and you don’t understand because you are actually poor and can’t afford basic necessities so your brain wouldn’t process it till you actually have money.
Home is wherever you make it.

It may surprise you that your ancestors came as migrants to the place you call home today. After settling, they made it their home which is why you enjoy it now. I'm not saying that is your case but we have such cases around us.

All of us are migrants in one way or the other so wherever we find ourselves, we should endeavor to make it a home. If not, one will continue to have issues.

What I miss about Nigeria today are my family members and sometimes the food I grew up with though I'm now used to intercontinental dishes.

What most Nigerians abroad miss about Naija aside family members and food, are just impunity and lawlessness in the country, nothing else.

207 Likes 20 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by MasterJayJay: 6:48pm On Apr 29, 2023
When Buhari finally japa to niger republic, he won't miss anything

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by MarveworldG: 6:48pm On Apr 29, 2023
Ok
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Kharol1234: 6:49pm On Apr 29, 2023
*Urinating at Any gutter or corner.

*Naija foods.

*The gbas gbos for Lagos roads.

*Family and friends.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by donproject2(m): 6:49pm On Apr 29, 2023
What about Hoeloshos you people patronize?

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by whippersnapper(m): 6:50pm On Apr 29, 2023
Why is it that the moment someone makes money in Nigeria, he automatically turns to a motivational speaker. It is only someone that is cursed that will leave this shithole and still miss Nigeria. This country is hellfire

16 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by thesmallgod(m): 6:51pm On Apr 29, 2023
I missed hearing the sound of motor horn in Nigeria. It's being two years I heard that.

55 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by yungrylex00(m): 6:53pm On Apr 29, 2023
also you will miss Shukura that gives you free quickie grin grin

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by chatinent: 6:55pm On Apr 29, 2023
1. Wicked and bad leaders who steal without recourse to.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Jokerman(m): 6:57pm On Apr 29, 2023
I will only miss my mom, as my Dad is late.... Although after some years she's coming over

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Okiton: 6:57pm On Apr 29, 2023
cheesy
To that number 5
I've never wish to get anything for free in my life, I work hard to pay for everything I enjoy today. Here in Nigeria we pay for electricity and won't still have what you paid for, water we use here is borehole.
What exactly Nigeria offering us that we haven't paid, even in our business we use generator to run we still used the proceeds to pay electricity bill.
I dare someone to tell me one free thing Nigerian government offered us.
Education, we pay and won't even get enough. you finish paying school fees this week next week ASUU will go on strike

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Teeklef(m): 6:57pm On Apr 29, 2023
Just one thing which is my return ticket grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Mitchy49(m): 6:57pm On Apr 29, 2023
I pray for every Nigerian that wants a better life, I pray God almighty in his infinite and inestimable capacity, grant everyone their hearts desires in Jesus name. Be it maritally, financially, economically, materially, physiologically, God supply their needs. Those seeking for fruit of the womb, those that need a better job, those that want to have their own houses, God settle them all round. There shall be no loss, no lack and no limitations in Jesus name.
Testimonies will never cease amidst them. Everyone here is preserved and protected. You will not be victim of any casualty in Jesus name

77 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by OChimex: 6:58pm On Apr 29, 2023
Mindlog:

Freedom to do what?

Freedom to be rascals

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Asabe4(f): 6:59pm On Apr 29, 2023
The many (religious) public holidays grin

8 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by OChimex: 6:59pm On Apr 29, 2023
headofschool:

Yeah, freedom to be rascals and nuisance

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by mkoabiola: 6:59pm On Apr 29, 2023
Free kpekus and quickie

5 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Massdamm(m): 7:00pm On Apr 29, 2023
thesmallgod:
I missed hearing the sound of motor horn in Nigeria. It's being two years I heard that.
Which country you’re?
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by gaby(m): 7:00pm On Apr 29, 2023
TyroneP:
‘Japa
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/04/5-things-you-will-miss-when-you-japa-from-nigeria/

Kindly add chaos and disorganization to that list, please.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

A 50-year-old Man Impregnated My 16-year-old Sister. / Amazing Kitchen Tips That Will Change Your Life / Woman Giving Her Husband A Haircut In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.