Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,839 members, 7,956,164 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 06:26 AM

5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria (40782 Views)

Nigerian Man Reveals What He Will Miss After His Traditional Marriage / Should You Japa (with Family) On A Study Visa In 2024? / "Last Born": 5 Things You Can Relate To As The Youngest Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Finest12(m): 7:47pm On Apr 29, 2023
Enemyofpeace:

what's so special about your so called roadside boli? Roadside boli kee you there. Onijekuje!

You are just Bitter. Just look at the words you are using. You need Healing. May God help you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Mindlog: 7:48pm On Apr 29, 2023
Finest12:

Do u get Boli and Roasted Corn there?

I roast them myself.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Finest12(m): 7:49pm On Apr 29, 2023
Mindlog:

I roast them myself.

Good for you.

I actually know some people who say those are what they miss.
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by KIDfurniture(m): 7:49pm On Apr 29, 2023
Japa go where exactly ? If you are below 30 & u have no hope of growing ur biz or expanding it plz japa oh as for we above 40 ; I will never abandon my construction company for any country but if you have holiday visa plz hit me up. I mean very sure link even to America. Na holiday visa we need . We die here & make it here by all means made available to us by God & our corrupt system

TyroneP:
‘Japa’, a lingo in Nigeria for deliberate exit from the country especially for greener pastures abroad, has been a constant happening over the last few years with students, professionals and partners forming the chunk of those fleeing its shores.

As enticing as the idea of being in a relatively ‘better’ country is, the experiences of people who have left have continued to prove that truly ‘there is no place like home.’
Taking a look at the diverse peculiarities of Nigeria, here are five things you will miss if you find yourself abroad.
Nigerian Foods

Food is peculiar to every country. And Nigeria, with its plethora of ethnic groups, has a slew of foods its citizens don’t joke with. From Amala, to Akpu, Ogbono, Bread and Beans down to Moi Moi, these are foods that are dear to every Nigerian, and no amount of civilization can unplug the relish for these foods.

The moment you are leaving the shores of the country, you are as well leaving behind these ‘unique’ delectables whose tastes are never the same even when taken outside of their place of origin ( Largely because they’re transported to other markets with lots of additives that change the organic tastes ).

2. Weather

If there is a thing in Nigeria that is highly underappreciated, it is the weather. Nigerians in the diaspora have always expressed their struggles with the frosty weather abroad, and how much they miss the cozy and friendly weather in the country.

3. Family and Friends

Moving to a new country most times entails leaving behind family members and friends who you might not see for as long as your stay abroad. Though technology helps us connect beyond boundaries, the feeling of being physically around your family members and friends is matchless.

4. Owambe

Nigeria is ‘big’ on parties – and that is on period. Flamboyant, lavish, expensive, food-filled, dramatic, these features of the Owambe parties are unequaled anywhere in the world. It is one of the many things that make Nigeria exclusive, and being in the country unparalleled.

5. Free Amenities

Abroad you pay for almost everything from as high as electricity bills to as low as water bills. Their social amenities are prioritized, and it works in a way that you cannot evade paying for the bills of the amenities you use. In Nigeria, water bills are scarce as almost everyone has their own system of getting water; indiscriminate parking of cars is common but can’t be dared abroad without you being ticketed.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/04/5-things-you-will-miss-when-you-japa-from-nigeria/

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by SeriouslySense(m): 7:49pm On Apr 29, 2023
why do you say that.
Can you explain this.
highchief1:
Nigeria has the most ugly and dirty girls in the world.
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by SeriouslySense(m): 7:50pm On Apr 29, 2023
I don't miss Nigeria, its a place where criminals thrive and people don't value human beings or relationships.

They value how to deceive, how to loot and play deceptive games.

I only miss, some family, and food food food

Nigerians are exporting some of their criminals ways outside too, imagine grown up men, chasing each other with cutlass in Dubai, even Togo, has deported some, i don't blame Togo, they don't want to be degraded to a Jungle. They just give birth to children and do not teach them skills or how to behave in society.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Mindlog: 7:51pm On Apr 29, 2023
Finest12:

Good for you.

I actually know some people who say those are what they miss.

There is no food I eat in Nigeria, that I don't have access to here in the UK.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Quebec91(m): 7:52pm On Apr 29, 2023
cheesy
Teeklef:
Just one thing which is my return ticket grin

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by rhymesnoni(m): 7:55pm On Apr 29, 2023
I can only go abroad on a visit, i cant stay away from my Family for so long in name of Jakpa. Life short make i enjoy my parents well.

We go make am for Naija. Those that want to hakpa, best of luck!

5 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by highchief1: 7:55pm On Apr 29, 2023
SeriouslySense:
why do you say that.
Can you explain this.
wetin I wan explain?if u travel u go confirm am na.
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by BRIMBRAM: 7:56pm On Apr 29, 2023
JeffreyJunior:
Home is wherever you make it.

It may surprise you that your ancestors came as migrants to the place you call home today. After settling, they made it their home which is why you enjoy it now. I'm not saying that is your case but we have such cases around us.

All of us are migrants in one way or the other so wherever we find ourselves, we should endeavor to make it a home. If not, one will continue to have issues.

What I miss about Nigeria today are my family members and sometimes the food I grew up with though I'm now used to intercontinental dishes.

What most Nigerians abroad miss about Naija aside family members and food, are just impunity and lawlessness in the country, nothing else.

From experience, living in Canada. I was so surprise when old white folks were traveling out of the country due to extreme cold weather. These are folks born in Canada and have live most part of their lives there but during winter, they run away from the country.

A friend of mine whose parents are from Nigeria and have been living there for donkey years but now in their 70s also run away from Canada to Nigeria during winter due to the extreme cold.

5 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Enemyofpeace: 7:57pm On Apr 29, 2023
Finest12:

You are just Bitter. Just look at the words you are using. You need Healing. May God help you.
I repeat boli kee you there

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by SeriouslySense(m): 7:57pm On Apr 29, 2023
Its good to explain, communication is important or it builds us up. So i wanted to see from your perspective.

okay I think our women are just living under so much stress, and sometimes, they forget to take good care of themselves or how they take care of themselves only spoils their natural beauty.

For instance using harsh chemicals that destroys the inner healthy layers of the skin

highchief1:
wetin I wan explain?if u travel u go confirm am na.
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 7:58pm On Apr 29, 2023
ndidibabe:
■ Until you get to "the" abroad, you won't appreciate home. No place like home abeg. The sun, the owambe, the food, big cars, big house, night life, the lagos traffic. Nija sweet sha...
1. Home, for me, is wherever I live. And I miss no other place or peoples but those who live with me. lipsrsealed

4 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by SeriouslySense(m): 7:59pm On Apr 29, 2023
Those white folks go to warm places but not Nigeria. They go to conducive places.

Citizens of other countries with a strong passport can go to many beautiful places in the world

BRIMBRAM:

From experience, leaving in Canada. I was so surprise when old white folks were traveling out of the country due to extreme cold weather. These are folks born in Canada and have live most part of their lives there but during winter, they run away from the country.

A friend of mine whose parents are from Nigeria and have been living there for donkey years but now in their 70s also run away from Canada to Nigeria during winter due to the extreme cold.
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by FavouredNK: 7:59pm On Apr 29, 2023
TyroneP:
‘Japa’, a lingo in Nigeria for deliberate exit from the country especially for greener pastures abroad, has been a constant happening over the last few years with students, professionals and partners forming the chunk of those fleeing its shores.

As enticing as the idea of being in a relatively ‘better’ country is, the experiences of people who have left have continued to prove that truly ‘there is no place like home.’
Taking a look at the diverse peculiarities of Nigeria, here are five things you will miss if you find yourself abroad.
Nigerian Foods

Food is peculiar to every country. And Nigeria, with its plethora of ethnic groups, has a slew of foods its citizens don’t joke with. From Amala, to Akpu, Ogbono, Bread and Beans down to Moi Moi, these are foods that are dear to every Nigerian, and no amount of civilization can unplug the relish for these foods.

The moment you are leaving the shores of the country, you are as well leaving behind these ‘unique’ delectables whose tastes are never the same even when taken outside of their place of origin ( Largely because they’re transported to other markets with lots of additives that change the organic tastes ).

2. Weather

If there is a thing in Nigeria that is highly underappreciated, it is the weather. Nigerians in the diaspora have always expressed their struggles with the frosty weather abroad, and how much they miss the cozy and friendly weather in the country.

3. Family and Friends

Moving to a new country most times entails leaving behind family members and friends who you might not see for as long as your stay abroad. Though technology helps us connect beyond boundaries, the feeling of being physically around your family members and friends is matchless.

4. Owambe

Nigeria is ‘big’ on parties – and that is on period. Flamboyant, lavish, expensive, food-filled, dramatic, these features of the Owambe parties are unequaled anywhere in the world. It is one of the many things that make Nigeria exclusive, and being in the country unparalleled.

5. Free Amenities

Abroad you pay for almost everything from as high as electricity bills to as low as water bills. Their social amenities are prioritized, and it works in a way that you cannot evade paying for the bills of the amenities you use. In Nigeria, water bills are scarce as almost everyone has their own system of getting water; indiscriminate parking of cars is common but can’t be dared abroad without you being ticketed.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/04/5-things-you-will-miss-when-you-japa-from-nigeria/

I can eat any Nigerian food that I crave for at anytime same way I will enjoy it in Nigeria so I strongly disagree with you on that plus there numerous vendors that can ship any Naija foodstuff you want at anytime to any country.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by mercysamuelson(m): 8:01pm On Apr 29, 2023
Mindlog I don't miss any Nigerian food because it is sold here cooked or you get it raw and cook at home.

No mind the OP. Which food? Everything dey here for my side here for California. I get enough Naija food and I dey eat fat daily after work.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by BRIMBRAM: 8:03pm On Apr 29, 2023
SeriouslySense:
Those white folks go to warm places but not Nigeria. They go to conducive places.

Especially Ghana.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by SeriouslySense(m): 8:06pm On Apr 29, 2023
There are nice places in Africa, i just hope our nigerian people will not go and show their character there and they drive them away, just like Togo has driven away some Nigerians.

For instance Indians have some nice Islands around Africa, even Chinese.

India and China are competing for some Islands around Africa and their citizens can go there anytime they want. They also developed the places and put their military bases there, they are competing.

BRIMBRAM:

Especially Ghana.
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by BRIMBRAM: 8:08pm On Apr 29, 2023
SeriouslySense:
There are nice places in Africa, i just hope our nigerian people will not go and show their character there and they drive them away, just like Togo has driven away some Nigerians.

For instance Indians have some nice Islands around Africa, even Chinese.

India and China are competing for some Islands around Africa and their citizens can go there anytime they want. They also developed the places and put their military bases there, they are competing.

Alot of Nigerians need to be reoriented. We mostly lack discipline.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by SeriouslySense(m): 8:10pm On Apr 29, 2023
Discipline is important, and also a good reputation.

BRIMBRAM:

Alot of Nigerians need to be reoriented. We mostly lack discipline.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by BRIMBRAM: 8:16pm On Apr 29, 2023
SeriouslySense:
Discipline is important, and also a good reputation.

You can say that again. Good reputation.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by smasher1(m): 8:17pm On Apr 29, 2023
thesmallgod:
I missed hearing the sound of motor horn in Nigeria. It's being two years I heard that.

Are you for real? It's actually possible to drive without honking your horn. I have done that for over eight months. All you need is to drive defensively slowly and anticipate unexpected driving. One can actually flash your light to overtake.
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 8:19pm On Apr 29, 2023
smasher1:
■ Are you for real? It's actually possible to drive without honking your horn. I have done that for over eight months. All you need is to drive defensively slowly and anticipate unexpected driving. One can actually flash your light to overtake.
1. i have not heard one of those in many years and cars full everywhere here. undecided

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 8:27pm On Apr 29, 2023
Mindlog:
I don't miss any Nigerian food because it is sold here cooked or you get it raw and cook at home.
allow them make dem de cap. I no de miss sh!t …

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by smasher1(m): 8:32pm On Apr 29, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. i have not heard one of those in many years and cars full everywhere here. undecided

Good to know
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by highchief1: 8:32pm On Apr 29, 2023
SeriouslySense:
Its good to explain, communication is important or it builds us up. So i wanted to see from your perspective.

okay I think our women are just living under so much stress, and sometimes, they forget to take good care of themselves or how they take care of themselves only spoils their natural beauty.

For instance using harsh chemicals that destroys the inner healthy layers of the skin

bros wahala too much for Nigeria even me became healthier when I got here.Hygiene is a normal thg abroad.
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by MASTERMIND04(m): 8:33pm On Apr 29, 2023
Benki003:
6. Ugly Nigeria girl's
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Goalnaldo(m): 8:35pm On Apr 29, 2023
From your list i wont miss 3,4 and 5. The most important thing most Nigerians would miss is not even included: ELECTION RIGGING.
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Letlovelead213: 8:41pm On Apr 29, 2023
My ability to piss anyhow for road na wertin I go miss for naija

The fresh fresh girls for Lagos I go miss

Akara
Bad road
No light
Tinubu face lol
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Passionate888: 8:42pm On Apr 29, 2023
Ugly entitled Nigerian girls

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by SeriouslySense(m): 8:46pm On Apr 29, 2023
same for me.

highchief1:
bros wahala too much for Nigeria even me became healthier when I got here.Hygiene is a normal thg abroad.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

10 Years Of Marriage And 2 Kids, Wife Divorces Hubby Who Was A Dependant / MARTIAL BED: My Wife Says No Sex Until Her Mother Leaves Our House. / Things Responsible Men Do When Their Partner Is Pregnant -bamisepeters' Blog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.