Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,701 members, 7,809,661 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:41 PM

5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria (40149 Views)

Japa: ‘many Nigerians Trapped In Illegal Marriage Contract Abroad’ / Should You Japa (with Family) On A Study Visa In 2024? / "Last Born": 5 Things You Can Relate To As The Youngest Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Interesting2023: 2:52am On Apr 30, 2023
Mindlog:
I don't miss any Nigerian food because it is sold here cooked or you get it raw and cook at home.

At the same cost u get it here? Or as as fresh as u can get it from the farm here??
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by kabukabu50(m): 3:27am On Apr 30, 2023
Reflect7:

There are NO toilets available.

If you want to pee you need to get to your house before you pee.

Or else look for a hidden corner and pee, just like in Nigeria.

I don't know who tells you people all this ''abroad is heaven on earth'' rubbish.

Urinating in public in the US will get you charged for indecent exposure.

Don't even try it.

There are public restrooms in most filling stations,grocery stores and pharmacies everwhere.

Use them.
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by kabukabu50(m): 3:30am On Apr 30, 2023
Weather depends on where you go.

In the US I live in the South,its as hot as Nigeria for most of the year...the winters are mild and don't last that long.

Food also depends on where you live,There are Nigerian food stores near me that sell ready made dishes and they also sell Nigerian ingredients.
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Jaqenhghar: 5:07am On Apr 30, 2023
Benki003:
6. Ugly Nigeria girl's
They are ugly yet most Nigerian guys there will prefer to come back and marry them.
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by highchief1: 5:39am On Apr 30, 2023
Edoziesmart:

Hope your mum and sisters are not excluded?

The way you people open mouth and vomit gibberish from your vocal cavity all in the name of claiming awoke use to baffle me.

Tueh!
try get even SA visa first before u Dey comment for such topics.it’s not for ikorodu boys.
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by spiceadole: 5:44am On Apr 30, 2023
TyroneP:
‘Japa’, a lingo in Nigeria for deliberate exit from the country especially for greener pastures abroad, has been a constant happening over the last few years with students, professionals and partners forming the chunk of those fleeing its shores.

As enticing as the idea of being in a relatively ‘better’ country is, the experiences of people who have left have continued to prove that truly ‘there is no place like home.’
Taking a look at the diverse peculiarities of Nigeria, here are five things you will miss if you find yourself abroad.
Nigerian Foods

Food is peculiar to every country. And Nigeria, with its plethora of ethnic groups, has a slew of foods its citizens don’t joke with. From Amala, to Akpu, Ogbono, Bread and Beans down to Moi Moi, these are foods that are dear to every Nigerian, and no amount of civilization can unplug the relish for these foods.

The moment you are leaving the shores of the country, you are as well leaving behind these ‘unique’ delectables whose tastes are never the same even when taken outside of their place of origin ( Largely because they’re transported to other markets with lots of additives that change the organic tastes ).

2. Weather

If there is a thing in Nigeria that is highly underappreciated, it is the weather. Nigerians in the diaspora have always expressed their struggles with the frosty weather abroad, and how much they miss the cozy and friendly weather in the country.

3. Family and Friends

Moving to a new country most times entails leaving behind family members and friends who you might not see for as long as your stay abroad. Though technology helps us connect beyond boundaries, the feeling of being physically around your family members and friends is matchless.

4. Owambe

Nigeria is ‘big’ on parties – and that is on period. Flamboyant, lavish, expensive, food-filled, dramatic, these features of the Owambe parties are unequaled anywhere in the world. It is one of the many things that make Nigeria exclusive, and being in the country unparalleled.

5. Free Amenities

Abroad you pay for almost everything from as high as electricity bills to as low as water bills. Their social amenities are prioritized, and it works in a way that you cannot evade paying for the bills of the amenities you use. In Nigeria, water bills are scarce as almost everyone has their own system of getting water; indiscriminate parking of cars is common but can’t be dared abroad without you being ticketed.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/04/5-things-you-will-miss-when-you-japa-from-nigeria/

I don't miss anything about Nigeria.
I have lived in Europe for 4 years plus now.

Nigeria? Never again!

What exactly will I miss? Absolutely nothing
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by kossyablaze(m): 5:51am On Apr 30, 2023
JeffreyJunior:
Freedom to do illegal things?

Tell me one real freedom Nigerians have that people in the West don't have?

bros no reason am... E plenty... I dey Canada. For 9ja,i dey drive up to 180....theres nothing like speed limit. Try am for here. Guy alcohol dey everywhere for 9ja,its restricted here. U no fit make loud noise or play loud music for ur crib buh for 9ja,i dey blast my 1000w LG bodyguard speaker to the highest volume.If no be say I dey make better money for here, I for Don come back since

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Pointnoire(m): 6:20am On Apr 30, 2023
You can buy most Nigerian food on ESTY even okpa flour is on ETSY.

If you don't like cold weather move to Florida, Texas, Arizona, or southern Califonia

Free amenities? How free are they? Epileptic light and borehole that needs power from your generator to pump water out?

If you live in cities with a sizable Nigerian population, trust me, you wont miss the Owambe Houston,Dallas, and Maryland Pips know what I am talking about

TyroneP:
‘Japa’, a lingo in Nigeria for deliberate exit from the country especially for greener pastures abroad, has been a constant happening over the last few years with students, professionals and partners forming the chunk of those fleeing its shores.

As enticing as the idea of being in a relatively ‘better’ country is, the experiences of people who have left have continued to prove that truly ‘there is no place like home.’
Taking a look at the diverse peculiarities of Nigeria, here are five things you will miss if you find yourself abroad.
Nigerian Foods

Food is peculiar to every country. And Nigeria, with its plethora of ethnic groups, has a slew of foods its citizens don’t joke with. From Amala, to Akpu, Ogbono, Bread and Beans down to Moi Moi, these are foods that are dear to every Nigerian, and no amount of civilization can unplug the relish for these foods.

The moment you are leaving the shores of the country, you are as well leaving behind these ‘unique’ delectables whose tastes are never the same even when taken outside of their place of origin ( Largely because they’re transported to other markets with lots of additives that change the organic tastes ).

2. Weather

If there is a thing in Nigeria that is highly underappreciated, it is the weather. Nigerians in the diaspora have always expressed their struggles with the frosty weather abroad, and how much they miss the cozy and friendly weather in the country.

3. Family and Friends

Moving to a new country most times entails leaving behind family members and friends who you might not see for as long as your stay abroad. Though technology helps us connect beyond boundaries, the feeling of being physically around your family members and friends is matchless.

4. Owambe

Nigeria is ‘big’ on parties – and that is on period. Flamboyant, lavish, expensive, food-filled, dramatic, these features of the Owambe parties are unequaled anywhere in the world. It is one of the many things that make Nigeria exclusive, and being in the country unparalleled.

5. Free Amenities

Abroad you pay for almost everything from as high as electricity bills to as low as water bills. Their social amenities are prioritized, and it works in a way that you cannot evade paying for the bills of the amenities you use. In Nigeria, water bills are scarce as almost everyone has their own system of getting water; indiscriminate parking of cars is common but can’t be dared abroad without you being ticketed.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/04/5-things-you-will-miss-when-you-japa-from-nigeria/
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Cypherhendrix(m): 7:04am On Apr 30, 2023
No place like home I understand but when you are not save at home anymore then people would realize that “home” is not a designated place it is where you find peace by yourself and family, as much as nigeria is a very fun place cause abroad dey boring one kind at the point i don’t think i miss anything cause i have lived almost 3 decade in nigeria, a new adventure and life is needed abeg
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Cypherhendrix(m): 7:08am On Apr 30, 2023
Jaqenhghar:

They are ugly yet most Nigerian guys there will prefer to come back and marry them.

As much as I disagree with the term “ugly naija babes” nigerian are coming back to nigeria to marry because either the long term partner is in nigeria or because they are avoiding western ladies, beauty is everywhere imagine i fly almost 18hours to come find “beautiful girl”. No na!
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Cypherhendrix(m): 7:11am On Apr 30, 2023
kossyablaze:
bros no reason am... E plenty... I dey Canada. For 9ja,i dey drive up to 180....theres nothing like speed limit. Try am for here. Guy alcohol dey everywhere for 9ja,its restricted here. U no fit make loud noise or play loud music for ur crib buh for 9ja,i dey blast my 1000w LG bodyguard speaker to the highest volume.If no be say I dey make better money for here, I for Don come back since
The speed limit is for your own sake, unlike naija where you need to beat traffic it not like that most times here so why speed like you are in formula 1 smiley, and loud music even in naija person use police carry church wey dey loud praise and worship for him ear, all this is not freedom it just naija is lawless.
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Sofistcatdmoron: 7:14am On Apr 30, 2023
ndidibabe:
Until you get to "the" abroad, you won't appreciate home. No place like home abeg. The sun, the owambe, the food, big cars, big house, night life, the lagos traffic. Nija sweet sha...
Yea just like when u are jobless and really wanted a job and you are tired of staying at home, when u finally get the job ,you then then appreciate staying at home,, when you are stay at home for a long time again, you started missing your job, such is life bro

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Etuk92: 7:32am On Apr 30, 2023
All this years of me enjoying this things owambe, etal what has it changed I agree to pay for everything as long as iam using them.
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Lionize: 8:42am On Apr 30, 2023
Mindlog:

Freedom to do what?
I disagree with that freedom thing especially for the girl child.
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by 9ty4our: 9:12am On Apr 30, 2023
Oya, list what you will gain there and not miss in Nigeria.
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Risingsunn: 9:22am On Apr 30, 2023
Garri , kuli alata, sugar and ice cold water taken around 1:48pm when the sun is very hot.
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Nobody: 9:36am On Apr 30, 2023
headofschool:
I'm telling you, there is more freedom in Nigeria than those places where we claimed security of lives abroad.

Freedom or lawlessness?
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Benki003(m): 10:14am On Apr 30, 2023
Jaqenhghar:

We do come back to marry them so our heritage won't be lost, imagine marry a white and she carry and bare your children then she divorces you aren't ur children gone 🙄
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by scally11: 10:20am On Apr 30, 2023
BRIMBRAM:

From experience, living in Canada. I was so surprise when old white folks were traveling out of the country due to extreme cold weather. These are folks born in Canada and have live most part of their lives there but during winter, they run away from the country.

A friend of mine whose parents are from Nigeria and have been living there for donkey years but now in their 70s also run away from Canada to Nigeria during winter due to the extreme cold.
U see most people no know say experience na the best teacher. When we mention cold some go think say na AC cold. I have a friend that I told that Scotland is very cold, he was making mouth that he used to sleep naked for AC. The day he got here it was even in the Autumn na so he dey shout say I beg I no fit stay here. For winter he dey wear winter jacket inside house. Nigerian sabi talk say get used to it. Oyinbo way dey born here self no get used to it na me way come from naija go get used to it

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Bucky001(m): 10:53am On Apr 30, 2023
To f**k around she meant
Mindlog:

Freedom to do what?
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by BRIMBRAM: 11:15am On Apr 30, 2023
scally11:

U see most people no know say experience na the best teacher. When we mention cold some go think say na AC cold. I have a friend that I told that Scotland is very cold, he was making mouth that he used to sleep naked for AC. The day he got here it was even in the Autumn na so he dey shout say I beg I no fit stay here. For winter he dey wear winter jacket inside house. Nigerian sabi talk say get used to it. Oyinbo way dey born here self no get used to it na me way come from naija go get used to it

Exactly. Was so surprise to see how their oldies run away during winter. grin
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Chidolalar: 11:46am On Apr 30, 2023
@kossybkaze Pls help a brother in need. Am over 30 years and I haven't achieve anything yet. Pls can u connect me to Canada and show me d way on how u are making money over there. Thanks.
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by Chidolalar: 11:49am On Apr 30, 2023
kossyablaze:
Pls can u connect me to Canada and show me d way on how u are making money over there. Thanks
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by ImeAsian(m): 12:52pm On Apr 30, 2023
Mr Poster Abeg rest.... Friends and family wetin?
Carry the weather enjoy alone abeg
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by phemmyfour: 1:27pm On Apr 30, 2023
Mindlog:

Freedom to do what?
Drive anyhow
Park anywhere
Work n never pay tax....etc

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by bewla(m): 1:48pm On Apr 30, 2023
headofschool:
I'm telling you, there is more freedom in Nigeria than those places where we claimed security of lives abroad.
God bless you for me

I love this country die
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by kay29000(m): 2:25pm On Apr 30, 2023
Kharol1234:
*Urinating at Any gutter or corner.

*Naija foods.

*The gbas gbos for Lagos roads.

*Family and friends.

LMAO!!! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by kay29000(m): 2:26pm On Apr 30, 2023
NamelessOGBENI:
You can't piss anywhere.

Funny enough, I still yarn this matter with my nigga today...

Lol
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by achimendy(m): 2:57pm On Apr 30, 2023
Mindlog:

Freedom to do what?

Freedom to steal public money, bribe inec, attack opposition, promote ethnic bigotry etc.
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by achimendy(m): 2:59pm On Apr 30, 2023
JeffreyJunior:
Freedom to do illegal things?

Tell me one real freedom Nigerians have that people in the West don't have?

Abeg ask the bush man
Re: 5 Things You Will Miss When You ‘japa’ From Nigeria by campbelljosh(m): 3:15pm On Apr 30, 2023
I will miss the early morning shout of those mosque clerics and the church vigil noise who would not let you sleep in peace at night.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Man Dies One Week After His Wedding Introduction (Photos) / A 50-year-old Man Impregnated My 16-year-old Sister. / Amazing Kitchen Tips That Will Change Your Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.