Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,530 members, 7,819,906 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:12 AM

Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? (44599 Views)

Wife Of Ex-akwa Ibom Military Governor Evicts Step-children From Family House / She Is Single And Living On Rented Apartment, Away From Family ! Is It Good? / What's The Best Gift You've Ever Received Either From Family Or Friends? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by TheCongo2: 1:55am On Apr 29, 2023
Natajo2021:
Lend money to an enemy, you will have him back, borrow same to a friend, you will loose him forever.
This is what is happening to the great US$ who borrow and finance so many countries in Africa for years, they are now turning against United States, supporting Russia and China.
I learnt a lesson early in life, never to lend family and friends money.

The US doesn't have friends but only interests. And why would African countries support such an imperial nation who imposes them policies?

1 Like

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by Neverlookback: 2:04am On Apr 29, 2023
People should learn to stop lending money to friends or family. That's the quickest way to destroy that relationship.

Instead of lending them the full amount, give them just 20% of it as a gift. If you cannot afford to do that, then simply tell them you don't have it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by Kobojunkie: 2:06am On Apr 29, 2023
Neverlookback:
β–  People should learn to stop lending money to friends or family. That's the quickest way to destroy that relationship. Instead of lending them the full amount, give them just 20% of it as a gift. If you cannot afford to do that, then simply tell them you don't have it.
1. Avoidance is never a viable solution for anything. There is nothing wrong with lending to family and friends. What you can instead do is make sure take out insurance in the case that it turns out they are not disciplined enough to pay back. And there are ways you can legally do this too. This will in turn help them cultivate a habit of paying back. undecided

There is no reason why you should not be able to expect 100% back when you lend money to friends and family unless of course you are instead doing a give away. undecided

1 Like

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by BECALMBECALM(m): 2:14am On Apr 29, 2023
Evestar200:
Have you ever lend money to someone and when is time for them to pay they will tell you or do something that will make you regret ever helping them?

Share your stories.
My late dad taught me not to lend anyone money. The only thing i can do is to give anything i can afford to loose. i will never ask you to return the money. If you like talk from now till next year. All i will do is to give what i can afford to loose. Chikena!!!

1 Like

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by ChybuzzDD(m): 2:58am On Apr 29, 2023
Family members and close friends in Nigeria hardly pay back money lent to them.

Meanwhile, why are almost all of you using "borrow" where "lend" should be used??

Has our educational standard gone that low

You don't 'borrow' people money, you 'lend' money to them instead, but can borrow money from them.

3 Likes

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by mamawin(f): 3:01am On Apr 29, 2023
Zonefree:
Omo, if you ask me to borrow you 10k, I'll send you 5k and I'll never ask you for the money. That way, I know you'll never demand for another loan cos you're still with my 5k. Life na wisdom.
I do this too. It brings peace
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by Emmanuel909090: 3:33am On Apr 29, 2023
Funny but it happens often
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by Storypot: 3:37am On Apr 29, 2023
Johnn87:

Person dey owe u 50k.only lawyer appearance fee na like 80k. Adjourn case like 5/6 times. Body go tell.
Nor be every small change dey carry person go court. Cos u end up spending more for lawyers in cases little sums involved.

in that case, i can use 100k to find my 10K

The money is not the problem, its the person i borrowed it to
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by socialmediaman: 3:48am On Apr 29, 2023
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by oz4real83(m): 3:51am On Apr 29, 2023
I'm very sorry for your experiences, both of us are alike, because we like helping people in need, some just want to take advantage of us, I don't know why God made us like that undecided. Unfortunately, these kind of experiences will never stop us from helping people with serious problems, especially when they come in serious tears and at the point of deathembarassed embarassed, our prayer is for God to always make us unavailable when these evil people are in need of our help embarassed
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by Goalnaldo(m): 3:55am On Apr 29, 2023
Klass99:

I enjoyed reading your post. You still had chats from 2019? You are as badass as they come.
i am suprised too. I dont think ive texted someone for one year. There is always something that would make me reset my phone lol and i hate to backup chats or i change phone. Also, if i take screenshot of say bank app, whatsapp chat etc i delete them within two weeks. She really tried.

1 Like

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by Kobojunkie: 4:00am On Apr 29, 2023
oz4real83:
β–  I'm very sorry for your experiences, both of us are alike, because we like helping people in need, some just want to take advantage of us, I don't know why God made us like that undecided. Unfortunately, these kind of experiences will never stop us from helping people with serious problems, especially when they come in serious tears and at the point of deathembarassed embarassed, our prayer is for God to always make us unavailable when these evil people are in need of our help embarassed
There is a wiser approach to lending people money and that is what you should pursue in all cases. There is no reason why you should be shortchanged as all you will doing then is acting as enable to what is rather a criminal offense. undecided
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by oyaaa(m): 4:03am On Apr 29, 2023
Evestar200:
This one is from my childhood friend.

This person begged me to send this money to him in 2015 because he is stranded in Borno and doesn't have anything on him to transport himself to Port Harcourt.

As a good person then, I managed to send him from the little one I have even when I was struggling then.

I reminded him in 2021 when I was sick and in need of money to buy drugs but this is what I get back for being kind.

He didn't pay and blocked me last year.

The other person I lend paid half of the money and the other half is history πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚.

Some people are wicked, Imagine someone I lend 20k on Monday is asking me to send her my account number so that she can send me back my money while some people don't want you to even remind them not to talk about requesting back the money you lend them.

Life.
Omo e talk say β€œ you’ve just cross the line young woman” that got me laughing real bad πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. On top ur own money
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by oz4real83(m): 4:09am On Apr 29, 2023
Kobojunkie:
There is a wiser approach to lending people money and that is what you should pursue in all cases. There is no reason why you should be shortchanged as all you will doing then is acting as enable to what is rather a criminal offense. undecided
when friends and family are in serious need, we just forget and put aside the necessary precautions that could have saved us embarassed, it is this forgetfulness or rather 'i don't care" attitude that always turn out to be the problem we face when issue like these come up in the future embarassed
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by TheCongo2: 4:12am On Apr 29, 2023
ChybuzzDD:
Family members and close friends in Nigeria hardly pay back money lent to them.

Meanwhile, why are almost all of you using "borrow" where "lend" should be used??

Has our educational standard gone that low

You don't 'borrow' people money, you 'lend' money to them instead, but can borrow money from them.

Thank you so much
I have seen it so many times on Nairaland where people were using borrow instead of lend.
I got confused and thought maybe it was acceptable in Nigeria.
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by Kobojunkie: 4:14am On Apr 29, 2023
oz4real83:
β–  when friends and family are in serious need, we just forget some of these precautions that could have helped us, it is these forgetfulness or rather 'i don't care" attitude that always turn out to be the problem we face when issue like these come up in the future embarassed
1. By remembering to do it correctly, we can in turn help to force needed discipline on friends and family and in turn cause them to help force the same level on discipline on others they go on to lend to. If we all learned to lend the right way, don't you see Nigeria becoming a better place for lenders at the end of the day? undecided
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by Badgers14: 4:15am On Apr 29, 2023
Zonefree:
Omo, if you ask me to borrow you 10k, I'll send you 5k and I'll never ask you for the money. That way, I know you'll never demand for another loan cos you're still with my 5k. Life na wisdom.

Off mic grin wink
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by jimmyvic(m): 4:30am On Apr 29, 2023
Even some people wey dey owe gbese for years go come here come drop album of lies of how they lend person money and the person no gree pay bla bla bla....

3 Likes

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by SavageResponse(m): 4:34am On Apr 29, 2023
nedekid:

Thats the idea, a bounced post dated is a criminal matter. That is the strongest way to get someone to pay. You can go to the police to report. The person will be arrested. I think it is between 2-7 years jail term without option of fine. Can't remember exactly.

Please mention just 2 people you known that have been sentenced to prison terms for issuing dud cheques in Nigeria! grin

1 Like

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by SavageResponse(m): 4:35am On Apr 29, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. OMGosh, for realz! shocked Then why don't folks use that a lot more then? undecided

That law no dey work for Nigeria o!
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by Kobojunkie: 4:36am On Apr 29, 2023
SavageResponse:
β–  Please mention just 2 people you known that have been sentenced to prison terms for issuing dud cheques in Nigeria! grin
1. You mean say if you use that information, you no fit scare some folks into taking repayment of the loan more seriously than they would have if you didn't indicate that detail on the promissory note you give them to sign? undecided
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by Kobojunkie: 4:37am On Apr 29, 2023
SavageResponse:
β–  That law no dey work for Nigeria o!
1. Look, the reasons most laws currently don't work in Nigeria happens to be because people don't use them at all. undecided

I was happy when several years back a BBC documentary called "Welcome to Lagos" revealed that indeed, the legal system in Nigeria does work when people in fact use it to their advantage. One first has to take advantage of it in order for it to be of benefit. You can't simply sit back expecting it to automatically work on your behalf. If dumpster divers could do so on that documentary, why can't a lender do same? undecided
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by SavageResponse(m): 4:43am On Apr 29, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. I am ok with lending and demanding the signing of promissory notes, something that has worked thus far. . undecided

Come and try that promissory note shit here in Nigeria and you will land in the lagoon!

Nigerians have absolutely no regards for written agreements!
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by Kobojunkie: 4:44am On Apr 29, 2023
SavageResponse:
β–  Come and try that promissory note shit here in Nigeria and you will land in the lagoon!
2. Nigerians have absolutely no regards for written agreements!
1. I have tried that and it works in your Nigeria well. undecided

2. People learn to take you seriously when you too show them how serious you are. undecided

Na so una go dey there they talk without putting in effort, dey watch as foreigners go come in and corner the entire private loan Market for una korokoro, like they have done with so many other things. undecided
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by wisdomkid: 5:00am On Apr 29, 2023
Reading stories here, it's easy to see why Nigerians are getting more hard-hearted on a daily basis. Imagine the audacity of someone who obviously came with a sobbing story of how much they suffered, only to start spilling out trash like this.

May God continue blessing every kind-heart Nigerians out there. We need you guys, even when the world wants to turn you evil.

2 Likes

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by obynoceaser: 5:00am On Apr 29, 2023
Johnn87:

Boss biko help a brother with 6k. Make l send account details?πŸ™

Have self respect for yourself for once and stop begging strangers 6k upandan. Fool
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by SavageResponse(m): 5:04am On Apr 29, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. You mean say if you use that information, you no fit scare some folks into taking repayment of the loan more seriously than they would have if you didn't indicate that detail on the promissory note you give them to sign? undecided

In Nigeria a person will give you a cheque knowing fully well that his bank account is not funded.

It has happened to me several times that is why I have also hardened my heart when doing business

1 Like

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by Kobojunkie: 5:06am On Apr 29, 2023
SavageResponse:
β–  In Nigeria a person will give you a cheque knowing fully well that his bank account is not funded. It has happened to me several times that is why I have also hardened my heart when doing business
1. In that same Nigeria, there happens to be a law that criminalizes such an act. Have you taken advantage of that law before now? Did you report to the police or even sue your defaulter for this crime committed against your person? undecided
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by raphy(m): 5:08am On Apr 29, 2023
Even the country is owing other countries money the citizens are owing loan apps money

Everyone is trying to survive my overdue loan is growing he don pass 50k many people don't want to pay bck loans as they know it will give a big hole I there pocket....

Omo everyone is trying to put head above water this day's

Las las God will help us
As they say miracle no de tire Jesus.

Good morning everyone
Peace Love and light
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by SavageResponse(m): 5:10am On Apr 29, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. Look, the reasons most laws currently don't work in Nigeria happens to be because people don't use them at all. undecided

I was happy when several years back a BBC documentary called "Welcome to Lagos" revealed that indeed, the legal system in Nigeria does work when people in fact use it to their advantage. One first has to take advantage of it in order for it to be of benefit. You can't simply sit back expecting it to automatically work on your behalf. If dumpster divers could do so on that documentary, why can't a lender do same? undecided

Look if someone in Nigeria is owing you say 50K and gives you a dud cheque; if you decide the seek legal redress just be sure that you will spend at least 200K before you can make any headway in the case!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

If You Are Struggling So Hard And Money Hasn't Come, Get Married / Man Logs In For His Virtual Court Divorce Proceedings While In Bed With His Wife / My Husband Starves Me Of Sex – Woman Tells Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.