Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,575 members, 7,820,067 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:15 AM

Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? (44601 Views)

Wife Of Ex-akwa Ibom Military Governor Evicts Step-children From Family House / She Is Single And Living On Rented Apartment, Away From Family ! Is It Good? / What's The Best Gift You've Ever Received Either From Family Or Friends? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by Klass99(f): 11:11pm On Apr 28, 2023

2 Likes

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by SeriouslySense(m): 11:11pm On Apr 28, 2023
For families i give what i can, and when i sense they are trying to use me, or deceive me, i just say no immediately/ quickly.

I don't have time for stories. grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by folake4u(f): 11:12pm On Apr 28, 2023
SeriouslySense:
You are lucky, Nigerians are highly weird when it comes to paying back.

They love raising capital from people they think they can trick and get away with it.

Don't even make a mistake oh. I wasn't lucky, no be everybody them go try that nonsense on oh.

My parents lend people money a lot and those ones won't pay. My folks will leave them in the hands of God and be praying that God touch their heart to pay back. Certainly not me.

There was one that was owing my Mum 100k for more than 6 months. Na me go the woman shop go collect the money by myself. At first, I was calm and gentle and pleaded with her to pay cos it was due but she insulted me. Na that time my craze activate. I insulted her back and she was shocked. Nobody told her to go inside and bring out the money and give me.

Sometimes I don't even blame these Palmpay agents oh. Some Nigerians aren't credit worthy until you use force on them.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by alizma: 11:12pm On Apr 28, 2023
Evestar200:
Have you ever lend money to someone and when is time for them to pay they will tell you or do something that will make you regret ever helping them?

Share your stories.
Tell him ok you understand but run as long as your legs can carry you far far far away from such people.
You see this people
1) some who eat your food and soon forget how he almost fainted before you gave him the food
2) someone who forget soon how he was naked before you cover his shame with clothing or accomodation and
3) some who forget soon, how he was broke before you bail him out, these 3 set of people can kill you for being good to them. Once I noticed you have any of these traits, I quickly leave you with whatever help I had rendered to you and moved on. Once you help any of these people get on their feet, they suddenly start to think it is their right, in fact some of the will say you haven't done enough

1 Like

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by armadeo(m): 11:13pm On Apr 28, 2023
It's so easy for me these days once you ask and promise to pay in one month or 2 months I simply direct you to opay loan app.

Explain to them. I no get power drag loan.

I got dash small tin but loan lai lai. Nobody has ever paid me back. Only family.

The others na story upon story. I've come to the conclusion that they assume you have it to give and spend so why not spend it for them

Same reasons you'll see people saying why did so and so spend 1 million for something and they are people who have not eaten.

Na the same format.

4 Likes

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by Kobojunkie: 11:13pm On Apr 28, 2023
Johnn87:
โ–  My bad. Canot reply with voice note. Omo informal loan without Agreement Documents signed by both parties without TANGIBLE COLLATERAL/assets for loaner to Reposses/seize in case of defaulment, are non-legally binding.
If court order a person to pay after like 5/6 adjournements of course, its left for borrower with good lawyer to legally say l NOR GET. Na only 50kobo/10naira l fit afford to repay monthly., thereby scatering repayment of 10k into 60years .
โ–  And as far as its informally borrowed, without any documents signed, without collateral , no law court has legal jurisdiction to imprison him as long as he keeps up with 10naira monthly repayment defaulter told court he is able to afford . Court also has legal jurisdiction to jail him if he talk say him nor wsnt pay bsck at all.
1. Scattered payment is better than no payment at all. grin

2. What about a case where a promissory note is signed stipulation how and when of payment โ€” without collateralโ€” can the court order the one owing to pay up then, with the jail option if he refuses? undecided

Also, which kain collateral be good collateral? undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by folake4u(f): 11:14pm On Apr 28, 2023
djWALE:

Your chats dey kill me, talking stage don end cos of money ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Yes oh. The man dey mad! Ontop my own money again oh.

2 Likes

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by folake4u(f): 11:15pm On Apr 28, 2023
Klass99:

Damn girl! You are even more badass than Octo. I thorougly like fa cheesy. That guy is sly and manipulative, good riddance to bad rubbish.

Very sly character! Who gives a fuรงk if he takes me seriously? Lmao. grin cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by SeriouslySense(m): 11:16pm On Apr 28, 2023
So she had the money, but just wanted to keep it, and have abundant capital and free resources at the expense of others.

Whenever i collect something from anyone, i quickly give them back as soon as i can, i can not be comfortable tricking others, my mind will punish me.

folake4u:

Don't even make a mistake oh. I wasn't lucky, no be everybody them go try that nonsense on oh.

My parents lend people money a lot and those ones won't pay. My folks will leave them in the hands of God and be praying that God touch their heart to pay back. Certainly not me.

There was one that was owing my Mum 100k for more than 6 months. Na me go the woman shop go collect the money by myself. At first, I was calm and gentle and pleaded with her to pay cos it was due but she insulted me. Na that time my craze activate. I insulted her back and she was shocked. Nobody told her to go inside and bring out the money and give me.

Sometimes I don't even blame these Palmpay agents oh. Some Nigerians aren't credit worthy until you use force on them.

1 Like

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by Rick9(m): 11:16pm On Apr 28, 2023
I don't lend huge amounts of money, but very little, and woe betide you if you don't pay it back. I wouldn't even ask you or disturb you about it. I would simply wait for the day you would so badly need my help. Believe me, I wouldn't flinch or give an ear to your plea.

6 Likes

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by foleskay(m): 11:18pm On Apr 28, 2023
Dshocker:
That one na normal thing...

I willingly use to give, but now, my fellow human being has hardened my heart.

Imagine someone owing you about 150k to shouting at you that you are pressuring him.

In total, people own me about 400k and i have forgone all of them.

But if you come to me for help, omo i don't think i help you, even if it involves life and death.
Bros abeg God no go shame you. Can i see 500 from u? Pls to withdraw 1k from my acct. Plsaa
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by folake4u(f): 11:19pm On Apr 28, 2023
Kaycee54321:

Hey Mami.

Your love interest dey jonze oh.
What does he mean by "men observe little things like this?"
If you carry this love interest to permanent site, una fit no last oh.

Seriously, I prefer people whose word is their bond. I borrowed a friend 50k (not because I'm emotionally connected to the friendship but because he's good for it) - he makes more than 10X the amount in a month.

E suppose pay back today; na me remind am, e don push am go month end.

Money matters or not, a man's word should be his bond.

Hey Kaycee!

I nor fit even carry this love interest to permanent site. Carry wetin? After I collected my money, I blocked him everywhere. No time! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Do you gettttt? Not just only in Men too. I don't like people who cannot stand by their words.
It tells a lot about their personality.

As long as you and your friend have good understanding and you trust him to an extent, he suppose pay normally.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by Kobojunkie: 11:19pm On Apr 28, 2023
nedekid:
โ–  Lol, court will ask how much the person can pay. If it is 100k debt, the person says he can only afford 2k monthly as his salary is 30k, he has to feed, transport, pay school fees etc. Court then says no, pay 4k monthly till the debt is cleared.
You go come de wait for years to get your money, don't forget inflation.

โ–  Better still get the person to give you a postdated cheque along with the promissory note.
1. Again, scattered payment is better than no payment at all abeg! Better still, when signing a promissory note, make sure to include information on interest that will be charged if payment is further scattered to maybe offset inflation. grin

2. Postdated check way fit bounce if the person closes out the associated account? undecided
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by SeriouslySense(m): 11:23pm On Apr 28, 2023
One common trait of trickster's who have not mastered more deceptive tricks, is to ask for huge capital, or huge amount of money.

They ask, when they know, they can run or hide, or when they envy the person and just want to take their money and not pay. To them, this person has excess money to waste.

Rick9:
I don't lend huge amounts of money, but very little, and woe betide you if you don't pay it back. I wouldn't even ask you or disturb you about it. I would simply wait for the day you would so badly need my help. Believe me, I wouldn't flinch or give an ear to your plea.

3 Likes

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by folake4u(f): 11:23pm On Apr 28, 2023
SeriouslySense:
So she had the money, but just wanted to keep it, and have abundant capital and free resources at the expense of others.

Whenever i collect something from anyone, i quickly give them back as soon as i can, i can not be comfortable tricking others, my mind will punish me.

She had the money oh. Wicked woman!

Do you know that she even called my Mum on phone to say I came to her shop to disrespect her and her husband. I retorted by saying if she had acted right in the first place, she would have saved herself from all the drama.

It's not everybody you owe money oh. Some folks will even curse the individual and his/her generation for depriving them of their hard earned money.

Nigerians just like when people insult them first before acting right. Very tacky behaviour.

Same!!!! I hate collecting stuff from people sef. Makes me feel uncomfortable to an extent.

6 Likes

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by SeriouslySense(m): 11:27pm On Apr 28, 2023
Nigerians just like problems. No conscience at all, had the money but just wanted to spend it for herself, so she will enjoy free money from another person, because to them, that person does not value his money, but they are smart and value it more.

No wonder everything is not working, very heartless human beings. smiley smiley grin grin

a lot of them, don't like paying loan apps, thank God for loan apps, for exposing their greed cheesy cheesy

folake4u:

She had the money oh. Wicked woman!

Do you know that she even called my Mum on phone to say I came to her shop to disrespect her and her husband. I retorted by saying if she had acted right in the first place, she would have saved herself from all the drama.

It's not everybody you owe money oh. Some folks will even curse the individual and his/her generation for depriving them of their hard earned money.

Nigerians just like when people insult them first before acting right. Very tacky behaviour.

Same!!!! I hate collecting stuff from people sef. Makes me feel uncomfortable to an extent.

2 Likes

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by Johnn87: 11:31pm On Apr 28, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. Scattered payment is better than no payment at all. grin

2. What about a case where a promissory note is signed stipulation how and when of payment โ€” without collateralโ€” can the court order the one owing to pay up then, with the jail option if he refuses? undecided
Dem.never use scattered payment do u b4. U go swear for the person. Ordinary 1million naira wahala, that was informally "bros abeg loaned out", by sb l know to a so called friend, who later chose to be paying back 35k monthly when e later cast, he nearly run mad Couldnt use 35k for projects planmed .scattered payment nor good at all but better pass at all at all.

(2) Case of promissory note attached , without Collateral has legally upgraded ๐Ÿ’ช to a semi formal loan . Its still not okay compared to Formal loan but far far better than rubbish informal.loan. its left to seek legal counsel for the legal experts to decide on such a semi-formal loan.

[ What if promissory note attached & borrower business got involved in fire accident or some other provable/( or cooked) unforseen occurances/illhealth/ natural disaster affecting earning power of borrower to fulfill "P.R.O.M.I.S.E" in promissory note occured . Lols
Such a case is still better than nonsense informal loans sha.
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by Kobojunkie: 11:35pm On Apr 28, 2023
Johnn87:
โ–  Dem.never use scattered payment do u b4. U go swear for the person. Ordinary 1million naira wahala, that was informally "bros abeg loaned out", by sb l know to a so called friend, who later chose to be paying back 35k monthly when e later cast, he nearly run mad Couldnt use 35k for projects planmed .scattered payment nor good but better pass at all at all.

(2) Case of promissory note attached , without Collateral has legally upgraded ๐Ÿ’ช to a semi formal loan . Its still not okay compared to Formal loan but far far better than rubbish informal.loan. its left to seek legal counsel for the legal experts to decide on such an informal loan.

What if promissory note attached & borrower business got involved in fire accident or some other provable/( or cooked) unforseen occurances/illhealth/ natural disaster affecting earning power of borrower to fulfill "P.R.O.M.I.S.E" in promissory note occured . Lols Such a case is still better than nonsense informal loans sha.
1. I still consider it better than the pain of not getting anything at all. lipsrsealed

2. Is there a way to shore against all that you mentioned? I just feel rather than not lending at all to others as some have resorted to doing, people should instead learn to learn more wisely by using the law to ensure that no matter what the borrower is held accountable. We all need each other and it shouldn't really be as terrible as it continues to seem out there. I no fit try that nonsense for here in the U.S. undecided
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by folake4u(f): 11:35pm On Apr 28, 2023
SeriouslySense:
Nigerians just like problems. No conscience at all, had the money but just wanted to spend it for herself, so she will enjoy free money from another person, because to them, that person does not value his money, but they are smart and value it more.

No wonder everything is not working, very heartless human beings. smiley smiley grin grin

a lot of them, don't like paying loan apps, thank God for loan apps, for exposing their greed cheesy cheesy

Honestly oh. Some Nigerians ehn, their conscience have been seared with a hot iron. Them nor even get heart at all.

How can someone lend you money in good faith and you feel because the person isn't disturbing you means you outsmarted the person. I don't even understand that stinking mentality at all.

A lot of Nigerians don't like paying loans at all. Sometimes I used to wonder if all these credit loans that work abroad come to this country ehn, they'd fold up in 6months!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by nedekid: 11:37pm On Apr 28, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. Again, scattered payment is better than no payment at all abeg! Better still, when signing a promissory note, make sure to include information on interest that will be charged if payment is further scattered to maybe offset inflation. grin

2. Postdated check way fit bounce if the person closes out the associated account? undecided
Thats the idea, a bounced post dated is a criminal matter. That is the strongest way to get someone to pay. You can go to the police to report. The person will be arrested. I think it is between 2-7 years jail term without option of fine. Can't remember exactly.
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by Kobojunkie: 11:38pm On Apr 28, 2023
nedekid:
โ–  Thats the idea, a bounced post dated is a criminal matter. That is the strongest way to get someone to pay. You can go to the police to report. The person will be arrested. I think it is between 2-7 years jail term without option of fine. Can't remember exactly.
1. OMGosh, for realz! shocked Then why don't folks use that a lot more then? undecided

1 Like

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by Patriotic9ja(m): 11:39pm On Apr 28, 2023
Evestar200:
This one is from my childhood friend.

This person begged me to send this money to him in 2015 because he is stranded in Borno and doesn't have anything on him to transport himself to Port Harcourt.

As a good person then, I managed to send him from the little one I have even when I was strugglin
I reminded him in 2021 when I was sick and in need of money to buy drugs but this is what I get back for being kind.

He didn't pay and blocked me last year.

The other person I lend paid half of the money and the other half is history ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚.

Some people are wicked, Imagine someone I lend 20k on Monday is asking me to send her my account number so that she can send me back my money while some people don't want you to even remind them not to talk about requesting back the money you lend them.

Life.

Hmm people can be funny. Can you imagine? If you didn't add screenshot, I probably won't have believed.
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by ModCaller: 11:40pm On Apr 28, 2023
Kobojunkie:
When you lend folks money make sure you get each to sign a promissory note stating when and how the money will be paid you back so should any of them throw this kind of surprise at you, you can easily take them to court to get your money back. undecided

Unrealistic advice. In these cases, the loan is informal, hence an unwritten agreement is as valid as the written agreement because it cannot be enforced. Note that these people are not denying the loan. They just don't want to pay.

1 Like

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by Kobojunkie: 11:41pm On Apr 28, 2023
ModCaller:
โ–  Unrealistic advice. In these cases, the loan is informal, hence an unwritten agreement is as valid as the written agreement because it cannot be enforced. Not that these people are not denying the loan. They just don't want to pay.
1 Unrealistic? Go read up what others have said equally stated abeg!. undecided

https://www.nairaland.com/7669849/borrowing-not-repaying-ever-encountered/3#122814177
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by Johnn87: 11:41pm On Apr 28, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. I still consider it better than the pain of not getting anything at all. lipsrsealed

2. Is there a way to shore against all that you mentioned? I just feel rather than not lending at all to others as some have resorted to doing, people should instead learn to learn more wisely by using the law to ensure that no matter what the borrower is held accountable. We all need each other and it shouldn't really be as terrible as it continues to seem out there. I no fit try that nonsense for here in the U.S. undecided
โ—พAt N1 highlighted above, agreed.โœ”๏ธ
@ (2), the general watchword is to loan only what one can afford to lose or forget about, if engaging in "Informal loaning"/ non security//no collateral loans, of cash to friends, to avoid stories that touch. A friend can beg to loan 80k for eg, u can loan him 20k instead, if that is all u have/can afford to lose,
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by SeriouslySense(m): 11:44pm On Apr 28, 2023
I only help people who really need assistance or who need upliftment. And sometimes, i help to see, how i can be a form of blessing to those in need, but for selfish friends or family, who see one as a free bank account, and a cheap source of money for free capitals, its a no no.

I learnt to detect more deception from their mannerisms abi approaches grin grin

we ought to be kind and no one should take advantage of peoples kindness, it is a wonderful thing to have kind people. We should value the act of kindness more than the money itself.
folake4u:

Honestly oh. Some Nigerians ehn, their conscience have been seared with a hot iron. Them nor even get heart at all.

How can someone lend you money in good faith and you feel because the person isn't disturbing you means you outsmarted the person. I don't even understand that stinking mentality at all.

A lot of Nigerians don't like paying loans at all. Sometimes I used to wonder if all these credit loans that work abroad come to this country ehn, they'd fold up in 6months!

1 Like

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by Kobojunkie: 11:44pm On Apr 28, 2023
Johnn87:
โ—พAt N1 highlighted above, agreed.โœ”๏ธ
@ (2), the general watchword is to loan only what one can afford to lose or forget about, if engaging in "Informal loaning" out of cash to friends, to avoid stories that touch. A friend can beg to loan 80k for eg, u can loan him 20k instead, if that is all u have/can afford to lose,
1. If a person wants to maybe go into the business of giving out semi-formal loans, you are saying that person is bound to lose a lot then? undecided
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by Nobody: 11:45pm On Apr 28, 2023
Lol. It's them calling you "wicked" for me. Just imagine the manipulation. Are they not the wicked thief? Madness of the highest order.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by ModCaller: 11:45pm On Apr 28, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1 Unrealistic? Go read up what others have said equally stated abeg!. undecided

https://www.nairaland.com/7669849/borrowing-not-repaying-ever-encountered/3#122814177

It's unrealistic. Just don't do informal lending. Whatever agreement you reached with them will be ignored when the time come because there is nothing you can do. Always take collateral if you must lend
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by folake4u(f): 11:51pm On Apr 28, 2023
SeriouslySense:
I only help people who need really assistance or who need upliftment. And sometimes, i help to see, how i can be a form of blessing to those in need, but for selfish friends or family, who see one as a free bank account, and a cheap source of money for free capitals, its a no no.

I learnt to detect more deception from their mannerisms abi approaches grin grin

Yeah. I help people who really need assistance, upliftment or whatever, just to cheer and put a smile on their face. I'm always happy whenever I can help.

Lol. One supposed friend wanted to try that too but I don't have that one's time.

I am very observant and so I'd know from their approaches.

I don't even like when people take advantage of kind people at all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by braine(m): 11:53pm On Apr 28, 2023
Zonefree:
Omo, if you ask me to borrow you 10k, I'll send you 5k and I'll never ask you for the money. That way, I know you'll never demand for another loan cos you're still with my 5k. Life na wisdom.

5k is generous. I often peg my gifting at 30% of whatever they're asking.
Re: Borrowing & Not Repaying: Have You Ever Encountered Such From Family Or Friends? by SeriouslySense(m): 11:53pm On Apr 28, 2023
Better, some are not even friends, and they think they can ask for huge capitals, when there is zero trust in the land.

Those ones are tricksters too, looking for easy people to manipulate.

When i see people who have suffered unjustly and treated badly in life or are struggling, i am usually moved to help, because i understand that. But when i see entitled people i have to to keep my sanity.

folake4u:

Yeah. I help people who really need assistance, upliftment or whatever, just to cheer and put a smile on their face. I'm always happy whenever I can help.

Lol. One supposed friend wanted to try that too but I don't have that one's time.

I am very observant and so I'd know from their approaches.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Man Logs In For His Virtual Court Divorce Proceedings While In Bed With His Wife / My Husband Starves Me Of Sex โ€“ Woman Tells Court / If You Are Struggling So Hard And Money Hasn't Come, Get Married

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.