Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,459 members, 7,819,669 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:28 PM

Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries (13657 Views)

Terror Threat: US Moves To Evacuate Citizens, Embassy Staff From Nigeria / Nigerian Government To Evacuate Citizens In Ukraine As War Escalates / Fani Kayode Reacts As US, France, Germany, Evacuate Citizens From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by etrange: 2:12pm On Apr 30, 2023
SpecialAdviser:
I do not subscribe that anyone should die. America started this questionable character but I think it's evil.

You live in a country. You make money in that country. You enjoy all the facilities. You date their men and women. You enjoy their food. You enjoy all the benefits.

But when war breaks out, you abbadon them. Why can't your country evacuate their citizens alongside you? Is death only meant for them. Many of them do not partake in the violence. This is my argument.

When there's trouble, you save yourself, then people close to you and finally others. When there's war, the government tries to save those within the country, then their citizens outside the country and finally, if possible, others. This has always been the order of priority and not only does it make sense, it is also morally right. The US, for example, will always prioritize the lives of Americans in the US followed by Americans in diaspora and then non Americans (yes, they helped evacuate Ukrainians too even though you conveniently left that bit out). Saving lives and properties when possible is simply the primary responsibilities of the government. In the case of war, the government of the waring country will also prioritize thier citizens.

In my opinion, your comment is not solution oriented. It is somewhat more emotional than logical. Pointing out what's wrong with the status quo is very easy. But then how else would you have it? What are you proposing? That they leave thier own citizens who voted them into power to die in a country where they do not have the right to elect leaders? Or that they should evacuate all the citizens of the said country? You forget that most times, war is a decision taken by leaders either formally elected by citizens or organically adopted by them. When you vote, you put your life in the hands of the people you voted. The foreigner has thier lives in the hands of thier own government.

You pointed out that they enjoyed the amenities of the country and dated thier men/women. But then you forgot that wasn't for free. They also paid thier taxes. The host country used their money to develop itself. It's, therefore, a closed transaction. I find the dating part hilarious cause when two people are dating, nobody is doing the other a favor. So it can also be said that the citizens of the host country enjoyed the foreigners by dating them.

Anyway, it's always good to ask why things are the way they are.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by NaBanga: 2:21pm On Apr 30, 2023
This thread just proves how evil the Nigerian heart is. Never ever trust your fellow Nigerian. They are truly evil beings that were put into this world.
Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by deltateam: 2:25pm On Apr 30, 2023
AzizG550:
OP Why do you run to your house to hide anytime there is a fight, violence, riot or robbery? Why don’t you stay there and ensure you bring peace and calm everybody down? Is that place you are running from not part of Nigeria? Or are the lives of the people there not important for you to stay back and save and protect them? Person go just carry phone dey type any how

Your reasoning is low. United Nations carter to the needs of other citizens in times of crisis. There are relief materials. I believe ECOMOG and other peace keeping operations also do same by protecting civilians.

I doubt you know these otherwise you won't be misbehaving online. Be humble and learn what you don't know.
Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by deltateam: 2:29pm On Apr 30, 2023
advanceDNA:

Evacuation of citizens of the war-thorn countries also happen....thats how many pple are granted asylum in the uk and US.

..if u know how many citizens of somalia, Oman, syria, etc are in Uk, US and france...u go shock.... still countries cant over do beyond their budget.......if u evacuate other country's citizens u have to give them free housing, free salary..... all those things cost money which countries cant overshoot in their budget...

Now someone is providing answers which a lot of people attacking the topic don't even know hence they see it as a dumb question.
Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by SpecialAdviser(m): 2:32pm On Apr 30, 2023
etrange:

When there's trouble, you save yourself, then people close to you and finally others. When there's war, the government tries to save those within the country, then their citizens outside the country and finally, if possible, others. This has always been the order of priority and not only does it make sense, it is also morally right. The US, for example, will always prioritize the lives of Americans in the US followed by Americans in diaspora and then non Americans (yes, they helped evacuate Ukrainians too even though you conveniently left that bit out). Saving lives and properties when possible is simply the primary responsibilities of the government. In the case of war, the government of the waring country will also prioritize thier citizens.

In my opinion, your comment is not solution oriented. It is somewhat more emotional than logical. Pointing out what's wrong with the status quo is very easy. But then how else would you have it? What are you proposing? That they leave thier own citizens who voted them into power to die in a country where they do not have the right to elect leaders? Or that they should evacuate all the citizens of the said country? You forget that most times, war is a decision taken by leaders either formally elected by citizens or organically adopted by them. When you vote, you put your life in the hands of the people you voted. The foreigner has thier lives in the hands of thier own government.

You pointed out that they enjoyed the amenities of the country and dated thier men/women. But then you forgot that wasn't for free. They also paid thier taxes. The host country used their money to develop itself. It's, therefore, a closed transaction. I find the dating part hilarious cause when two people are dating, nobody is doing the other a favor. So it can also be said that the citizens of the host country enjoyed the foreigners by dating them.

Anyway, it's always good to ask why things are the way they are.
I am proposing that the UN makes it mandatory for every country to save your citizens and war countries citizens to the ration of at least 7:2
Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by deltateam: 2:34pm On Apr 30, 2023
Idoko619:

The most reasonable answer

Reasonable to who?

So if a war happens in Nigeria you deserve to die in it because you caused it according to the 'most reasonable answer?'

So you think that every Igbo man supports IPOB/ESN and deserves to die because they caused it.

How noble it must be to you and reasonable.
Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by francotunsco: 2:43pm On Apr 30, 2023
Deep and reasonable question!

Note that leaders are key to the peace and otherwise of a country and it is only the citizens of a country that have the right to vote in their leaders. Therefore, the citizens will be left to enjoy or endure the quality of leadership they choose for themselves. Shikena.
Imagine citizens voting along a highly regional divide just like in Nigeria's 2023 election, and these regions are loud on their resolve to break out. If a leader emerge from such region, he is more likely to lead the nation to a state like Sudan.
Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by Thekaghan: 2:49pm On Apr 30, 2023
TUANKU:
You won't be asking this dumb question if or your family members are in such a situation.
It's called civic responsibility and its morally right.
you could make your point without the DUMB part or do you know it all?
Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by Killermamba: 3:21pm On Apr 30, 2023
SpecialAdviser:
I do not subscribe that anyone should die. America started this questionable character but I think it's evil.

You live in a country. You make money in that country. You enjoy all the facilities. You date their men and women. You enjoy their food. You enjoy all the benefits.

But when war breaks out, you abbadon them. Why can't your country evacuate their citizens alongside you? Is death only meant for them. Many of them do not partake in the violence. This is my argument.
stupid question
Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by eepeepook: 3:30pm On Apr 30, 2023
Oloniyan:
Op let me answer your question with another question.

Will you leave your child(ren) inside a raging inferno?

And if your answer is no, then why will you rescue them?
He and/or stupid Nairalanders will say “the situation is different from what was asked.” Many here are ignorant and choose to adamantly remain so.
Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by eepeepook: 3:32pm On Apr 30, 2023
Countries evacuate their citizens because first world nations set the example. If developed nations stop it, woe betide any West African present in the affected country.
Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by etrange: 3:46pm On Apr 30, 2023
SpecialAdviser:

I am proposing that the UN makes it mandatory for every country to save your citizens and war countries citizens to the ration of at least 7:2

Well, that's far more theoretical than practical. The UN can't even mandate countries to evacuate thier own citizens let alone those of the host countries. Will they provide the resources? Are the citizens of the host/waring country doing anything for these other countries to warrantee such entitlement? You take thier labor/human capital, thier money (for those schooling abroad), etc. and you still want them to be responsible for your own citizens when you start a civil war? How nah?

There's absolutely no justification for imposing such a heavy duty on other countries. Like I already said in my post, foreigners and the hosts have a symbiotic relationship. So the foreigners' home countries do not owe the hosts anything. Nigeria do not owe Canada anything because some Nigerians decided to move to Canada and Canada decided to accept them because of the benefits they hope to get from it. It is unfair to tell Nigeria, the country suffering from extreme brain drain in this case, to evacuate Canadians if one province in Canada decides to fight other provinces. It's simply not justifiable. If Nigeria decides to help, it should be out of charity. In the case of civil war (an internal war started by the people of the country themselves), it is absolutely illogical to force other countries to evacuate your citizens. That's not even equitable given the disparity in their economic situations of these other countries.

Policies/laws are based on reasoning, my bro. In this case, there's no reason to put such a policy in place.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by GeneralPula: 4:21pm On Apr 30, 2023
SpecialAdviser:

It's dumb because you also don't have citizens who get abadoned while the people they host get evacuated.

Assuming there is a war in Nigeria, Your parents are trying to run away, all of a sudden an aeroplane appears in your village to evacuate Ghananians whom your parents have always played good host to. They leave your parents to death.

My question is why can't those Ghananians be evacuated with your parents? Can you figure it better now?
You’re asking a very good question but you’re not asking properly..
Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by nonhuman(m): 4:21pm On Apr 30, 2023
helinues:
If the citizens can be fleeing, how much more foreigners..

This logic is shallow no disrespecting
go back and read the topic again
Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by helinues: 4:25pm On Apr 30, 2023
nonhuman:
go back and read the topic again

Summarize what you have read
Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by nonhuman(m): 4:27pm On Apr 30, 2023
helinues:

Must you people wail about everything? So other countries air force planes have seats that the evacuated citizens can sit comfortably?

You people should stop overdoing everything
mmmm most of you people reason upside down did the guy condenm the air force plane, no, everyone's knows such plane don't have seats, he only said that since there is an available free passenger plane why not use it than than fering people like cargo
Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by helinues: 4:32pm On Apr 30, 2023
nonhuman:
mmmm most of you people reason upside down did the guy condenm the air force plane, no, everyone's knows such plane don't have seats, he only said that since there is an available free passenger plane why not use it than than fering people like cargo

C130s cargo planes have no seats which means that Nigeria plans to airlift its citizens on a 6-hour journey sitting on the bare floor while there are free Boeing 747s in the Air Peace fleet to comfortably ferry them home safely
Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by nonhuman(m): 4:36pm On Apr 30, 2023
helinues:

I have known you as one who doesn't have sense,
Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by helinues: 4:43pm On Apr 30, 2023
nonhuman:
I have known you as one who doesn't have sense,

Hahaha, why the abuse again now?

I corrected you, instead of accepting correction, na abuse you dey abuse.

Hahahahaha
Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by Horllamideh(m): 4:45pm On Apr 30, 2023
BigotedNaptu:
C130s cargo planes have no seats which means that Nigeria plans to airlift its citizens on a 6-hour journey sitting on the bare floor while there are free Boeing 747s in the Air Peace fleet to comfortably ferry them home safely.

The Nigerian Government prefers to transport its citizens as cargo not as decent humans.

All these just to avoid having it on record that an Igbo man saved the day again.

This is a new low.

That C-130 plane can carry up to 500 people assuming they all weigh 100kg each meaning the plane can carry more if each of the people are weighed and being recorded and totalled during the boarding process..... How many people can an airpeace plane carry again (200 at most)
Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by Nobody: 5:11pm On Apr 30, 2023
SpecialAdviser:

How many of these countries give foreigners equal treatment as her citizens when the going was good?

If you have traveled to ANY foreign country before, you will understand better. A foreigner will remain a foreigner and will be treated as such while a citizen will always be a citizen.

Abeg no use Naija do comparism
Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by stevups(m): 6:44pm On Apr 30, 2023
SpecialAdviser:

It's dumb because you also don't have citizens who get abadoned while the people they host get evacuated.

Assuming there is a war in Nigeria, Your parents are trying to run away, all of a sudden an aeroplane appears in your village to evacuate Ghananians whom your parents have always played good host to. They leave your parents to death.

My question is why can't those Ghananians be evacuated with your parents? Can you figure it better now?

Your questions have K.leg
Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by Idoko619(m): 7:17pm On Apr 30, 2023
deltateam:

Reasonable to who?

So if a war happens in Nigeria you deserve to die in it because you caused it according to the 'most reasonable answer?'

So you think that every Igbo man supports IPOB/ESN and deserves to die because they caused it.

How noble it must be to you and reasonable.

If you stick to the contest of the post, you'll understand this very much.
Going by your logic, they'll have to evacuate the entire Sudan.
Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by Paddy247: 7:35pm On Apr 30, 2023
SpecialAdviser:

This will go down as the most f00lish question I've seen on Nairaland.
Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by kosiebe(m): 7:41pm On Apr 30, 2023
For you to ask this dumb question, meants your head nor dey work. Infact, you dey mad
Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by greggng: 8:12pm On Apr 30, 2023
SpecialAdviser:

You asked very Important question only that some lack comprehension...your question is in other ...under normal circumstances, it ought to be so ...it happened in Afghanistan...this forced usa to evacuate along with them some Afghanistan citizen... some where even hanging on the plane to escape...
Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by GloriousGbola: 8:38pm On Apr 30, 2023
sukkot:
It's a good question but not well thought out. You are assuming that America evacuates every tom dick and Harry American in these distressed countries. You see, America as an imperial power has establishments and embassies and army bases in most countries and the people who work in these establishments were sent there from the USA to go and work their. These are not volunteer tourists or expatriates . These are people shipped to these countries from America to go and work their and it is these ones that are evacuated. But Nigeria in doing follow follow does not understand this concept and are evacuating people who went their voluntarily to be economic migrants.

Also let me add that if you are a tax paying American expatriate you will be evacuated. Meaning you have registered with the American embassy in whatever country you are and still pay taxes to the USA government. But if you are an American expatriate not registered and paying taxes ? You are on your own ooo

My opinion is that the evacuees are northern upper class. As an example Sanusi studied in Khartoum. So it is a case of internal political pressure. I am sure there are plenty of Northern royalty and children of big govt officials among those 5500 Nigerians
Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by sukkot: 8:45pm On Apr 30, 2023
GloriousGbola:

My opinion is that the evacuees are northern upper class. As an example Sanusi studied in Khartoum. So it is a case of internal political pressure. I am sure there are plenty of Northern royalty and children of big govt officials among those 5500 Nigerians
you are very correct because I saw a few of the women and they looked very wealthy upper echelon social strata kinda people
Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by Emperoo: 8:56pm On Apr 30, 2023
TUANKU:

Yes it was necessary. The question is dumb actually if you read it again and pay attention to the reasons he gave.
Snowflakes.
Mr its unnecessary to call him dumb... that's an insult. Or can't you differentiate again..
Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by Blue3k(m): 9:01pm On Apr 30, 2023
SpecialAdviser:

1. Non citizens dont have stake in your wars or politics. This why you don't give migrants the right to vote in your elections.

2. As migrants they only obligated to follow the laws of the land and be productive. If they're working they pay taxes.

3. This also why non citizens aren't drafted into wars in foreign conflicts. As a non citizen, they have no more connection to the land than a stranger.

4. Yes, death is only meant for the citizens that live the war zone, particularly the men who will fight and die in the conflict. It's their society to fix unless you're OK with a foreign power colonizing or occupying to restore order.

5. It's not the responsibility of foreigners countries to interfere in the affairs of war torn nations. If they choose to because it's in their interests they will. Most will just opt to remove their citizens, send aid or worst case take a few refugees.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by SpecialAdviser(m): 9:49pm On Apr 30, 2023
Blue3k:

1. Non citizens dont have stake in your wars or politics. This why you do t give migrants the right to vote in your elections.

2. As migrants they only obligated to follow the laws of the land and be productive. If they're working they pay taxes.

3. This also why non citizens aren't drafted into wars in foreign conflicts. As a non citizen they have no more connection to the land than a stranger.

4. Yes death is only meant for the citizens that live the war zone particular the men who will fight and die in the conflict. It's their society to fix unless you're OK with a foreign power colonizing or occupying to restore order.

5. It's not the responsibility of foreigners countries to interfere in the affairs of war torn nations. If they choose to because it's in their interests they will. Most will just opt to remove their citizens, send aid or worst case take a few refugees.

Your points are valid anyway. But I suggest UN make such evacuations 10:1. For every 100 immigrants evacuated, let 10 be war citizens. We are all humans
Re: Why Do Countries Evacuate Citizens In War Countries by Blue3k(m): 9:57pm On Apr 30, 2023
SpecialAdviser:

Your points are valid anyway. But I suggest UN make such evacuations 10:1. For every 100 immigrants evacuated, let 10 be war citizens. We are all humans

How did you come up with this arbitrary number? Assuming Sudan has 50k immigrants they need to evacuate 5k citizens. What country should be responsible for bringing in these refugees? How many do you want to welcome into your state? A shared humanity doesn't negate the social or financial cost of relocating immigrants from war torn countries in.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Telcos Plan Different Tariffs For Calls, Data In States / APC Shifts National Convention Date / WTO: European Parliament Backs Okonjo-iweala, Says She’s Well-equipped

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.