Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,413 members, 7,815,925 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:06 PM

Total Oil And Gas Workers - Career (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Total Oil And Gas Workers (223008 Views)

I Need Your Urgent Advice Conserning Total Oil Limited Appointment / Job Vacancy At Total Oil Limited Nigeria / Total Oil And Gas Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 2:23pm On May 22, 2012
olap001:

Thanks Debosky. My other concern with NYSC is where it sits with regards to my professional development. I clearly don't wanna be stuck teaching some kids Mathematics just because I want to serve my country nor a coffee boy in NNPC (I've heard stories lol). Are there opportunities to actually apply and develop my engineering knowledge during service.

There are opportunities, but they are very competitive and often difficult to get without connections.

Don't knock teaching kids Mathematics - it will do your soul a world of good. I know you're very conscious of this 'wasting my time' thing, but at your age (you are less than 30 if you're considering NYSC) you should appreciate the 'slow time' of NYSC - use it to critically evaluate where you want to go in your career and don't consider yourself stuck. You'll only get as much as you put into it.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by nitrogen(m): 2:36pm On May 22, 2012
debosky:

There are opportunities, but they are very competitive and often difficult to get without connections.

Don't knock teaching kids Mathematics - it will do your soul a world of good. I know you're very conscious of this 'wasting my time' thing, but at your age (you are less than 30 if you're considering NYSC) you should appreciate the 'slow time' of NYSC - use it to critically evaluate where you want to go in your career and don't consider yourself stuck. You'll only get as much as you put into it.

You are right, bros.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by olap001(m): 2:40pm On May 22, 2012
There's absolutely nothing wrong with teaching Maths. I just used it as an illustration of people ending up in places that won't benefit them in future.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 3:11pm On May 22, 2012
^^ It's a bad illustration - being able to impart knowledge will ALWAYS benefit you in future, even if you don't realise it at the moment.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by olap001(m): 3:14pm On May 22, 2012
I've never looked at it that way. Thanks for pointing it out
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 9:36pm On May 22, 2012
olap001:

Thanks Debosky. My other concern with NYSC is where it sits with regards to my professional development. I clearly don't wanna be stuck teaching some kids Mathematics just because I want to serve my country nor a coffee boy in NNPC (I've heard stories lol). Are there opportunities to actually apply and develop my engineering knowledge during service.

Personally, I'd forget about NYSC especially if there's a job offer on the table for you already. I didn't do it and it has not stopped discussions with anyone as all the companies I have spoken to told me not to worry about it as they can always get around it.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by kristofa09(m): 1:00am On May 23, 2012
tanimola22:

Thank you, especially for point number 1. I wonder where people get their theory of man know man employment in multinational oil companies. People like dwelling on exceptions rather than on rules. I wonder for them.

Well, oil companies have so much weight that people can give up so much just to be there. The oil industry is the main place to be in naija. My guy, a regular petroleum engineer who was managing just a few years ago, should be a very big boy now at Total. Very few people his age in naija can match him now. All these happened in less than 4 years.

Only God knows man's next destination.

T22
T22,u r doing a gd job on ths thread.
Kindly help me out here,i av a B.Eng in Polymer and Textile engineering,2.2,i wil like to diversify to oil n gas as petrochemical industry r nt tht mch lucrativ in d coutry...advice me on MSc to go for..tel me hw to go arnd it pls.thank u so much.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 1:25am On May 23, 2012
kristofa09:
T22,u r doing a gd job on ths thread.
Kindly help me out here,i av a B.Eng in Polymer and Textile engineering,2.2,i wil like to diversify to oil n gas as petrochemical industry r nt tht mch lucrativ in d coutry...advice me on MSc to go for..tel me hw to go arnd it pls.thank u so much.

Hey kristofa09,

Where do you desire to pursue the MSc? An answer to this question would help us know how to counsel you on how to go about the admissions process.

I leave the engineers to counsel you on the right MSc to go for. I can then follow up with details as regards admissions and application packaging.

T22.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by nikkygal(f): 9:18am On May 23, 2012
Jarus:

Your point No 1 is damn correct. This I have always said on this section(check that evergreen Investment- banking-derailed-to-Oil& Gas thread).

95% of recruitment in IOCs are merit-based. Mobil is the only one I can't guarantee 100%. The best student in my set is in Shell, the best student in the set after mine(both my friends) is also in Shell. The best student in my set in secondary school(who went on to finish 2nd best in his class in Ife) is also in Shell US. Loma on NL here was one of the best students in his set(4 years ahead of me) was also of Chevron.

The first two guys especially are from the poorest of homes you can think of.but very brilliant. And they scaled through Shell recruitment process. Another one, a brilliant Yoruba guy from a northern university(and staying with me in Lagos here) is also on Shell waiting list, having passed SRD, only waiting for space. He doesn't know anybody, in fact I was the one that brought him to Lagos(for NYSC in my former coy) and inducted him into 'corporate Lagos', polishing his raw brilliance. He is now with Oando pending the time Shell has a space for him.

I have always tried to demystify this common notion that you need to know someone before you get job.

By my experience and observation over years, your chance of getting job by MERIT in an IOC is 95%, private Nigerian company 70% (there is still merit in even Nigerian coys despite the exaggerated pessimistic mentality among Nigerians). Public sector is the one I can say is less than 50%.
Jarus:

Your point No 1 is damn correct. This I have always said on this section(check that evergreen Investment- banking-derailed-to-Oil& Gas thread).

95% of recruitment in IOCs are merit-based. Mobil is the only one I can't guarantee 100%. The best student in my set is in Shell, the best student in the set after mine(both my friends) is also in Shell. The best student in my set in secondary school(who went on to finish 2nd best in his class in Ife) is also in Shell US. Loma on NL here was one of the best students in his set(4 years ahead of me) was also of Chevron.

The first two guys especially are from the poorest of homes you can think of.but very brilliant. And they scaled through Shell recruitment process. Another one, a brilliant Yoruba guy from a northern university(and staying with me in Lagos here) is also on Shell waiting list, having passed SRD, only waiting for space. He doesn't know anybody, in fact I was the one that brought him to Lagos(for NYSC in my former coy) and inducted him into 'corporate Lagos', polishing his raw brilliance. He is now with Oando pending the time Shell has a space for him.

I have always tried to demystify this common notion that you need to know someone before you get job.

By my experience and observation over years, your chance of getting job by MERIT in an IOC is 95%, private Nigerian company 70% (there is still merit in even Nigerian coys despite the exaggerated pessimistic mentality among Nigerians). Public sector is the one I can say is less than 50%.

Gbam! I agree with Fexyonline & Jarus on the recruitment part of joining the IOCs. They are largely 90-95% based on merit and very competitive.Am actually very conversant with quite a lot of the information being posted here especially about Total/Shell & they are largely on point. . .smiley

Also the foreign grad thing doesn't necessarily work for the IOCs, everyone is assessed on the same level using the same tests at entry level. . . No preferences! That's why they have a lot of home grown grads in them and quite a number of the best guys in their various depts then in Uni. Even though to be fair, the engineers ususally have a higher chance of being recruited since the demand for them is always higher compared to the other non-technical guys.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by nikkygal(f): 9:22am On May 23, 2012
naijababe:

Good company, Maersk, my resolve to return to Nigeria within the next 3yrs was the only reason why I didn't go to work for them.

I agree. I equally have a friend who just left Addax in Nigeria here about 3months ago to Norway to join Maersk Oil & i heard that the pay is mad and very worth it...smiley So homeboy got his wife to resign & gently relocated his family a few weeks ago...cheesy Boys are not smiling when it comes to Oil money oh.....lol!
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by kristofa09(m): 9:49am On May 23, 2012
tanimola22:

Hey kristofa09,

Where do you desire to pursue the MSc? An answer to this question would help us know how to counsel you on how to go about the admissions process.

I leave the engineers to counsel you on the right MSc to go for. I can then follow up with details as regards admissions and application packaging.

T22.
T22,
am looking at nigeria 4 nau cos am gona be sponsoring myself..aint gat d backing 4 an MSc in d UK of which i covet with evry fibre in my bones...bt u could stil make surgestn in d UK 4 me..i trust ur judgement.
If u've gat prospectus,u cn email it 2 me..we r frnds already..Mennn hw i lov d IOCs...
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by AjanleKoko: 11:02am On May 23, 2012
To all the Total (and other oil company aspirants):

https://www.nairaland.com/944776/looting-nigeria-big-oil-140
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Olaone1: 11:56am On May 23, 2012
AjanleKoko: To all the Total (and other oil company aspirants):

https://www.nairaland.com/944776/looting-nigeria-big-oil-140
grin grin

I knew you would post something like this on this thread. You wan burst pipu bubble, abi? smiley

Oyinbos own sub-Saharan Africa anyway. Just let them pay my granite beauty wink 20 milla a month and they can milk the gaddem republic dry. Abi, babe, no be so? grin
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by AjanleKoko: 12:54pm On May 23, 2012
Ola one:
grin grin

I knew you would post something like this on this thread. You wan burst pipu bubble, abi? smiley

Oyinbos own sub-Saharan Africa anyway. Just let them pay my granite beauty wink 20 milla a month and they can milk the gaddem republic dry. Abi, babe, no be so? grin

Far from it bro. I'm not totally exempt, as my better half is very active in that industry. But the rot in there, as far as Naija is concerned, is worth a think, fat salary or not.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by osram(m): 1:04pm On May 23, 2012
candylips: oil company good o. See as these heavy things dey hit my account. UK is becoming a distant memory these days grin
oboi..no b smal tin o...wich oil n gas coy u de work now?
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 2good(m): 1:34pm On May 23, 2012
nikkygal:

I agree. I equally have a friend who just left Addax in Nigeria here about 3months ago to Norway to join Maersk Oil & i heard that the pay is mad and very worth it...smiley So homeboy got his wife to resign & gently relocated his family a few weeks ago...cheesy Boys are not smiling when it comes to Oil money oh.....lol!

Hmmmm. I think I know your friend well whose name starts with A. He relocated to Denmark not Norway.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 2:45pm On May 23, 2012
see big bois here oh! shocked
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by nikkygal(f): 4:30pm On May 23, 2012
2good:

Hmmmm. I think I know your friend well whose name starts with A. He relocated to Denmark not Norway.

Yea. . . .my bad! It's Norway not Denmark.. .[s]I don't know why am always mixing up the 2 countries sef...lol[/s]. Bottom line, it's all about the $$$$ despite the language hurdles & the harsh weather...cheesy
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Puvguy: 5:46pm On May 23, 2012
He's an office man and got an high position so weather is no issue.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by nikkygal(f): 6:42pm On May 23, 2012
Puvguy: He's an office man and got an high position so weather is no issue.

Bros, leave that matter! $$$$ na the bottom line....cheesy Norway is damn cold whether you're an office man or you go to the rig and of course the language thingy as well. Am happy for guys that move up like this, no hard feelings but we all know the 'koko' so it's all good....grin
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 9:20pm On May 23, 2012
Ola one:
grin grin

Your head dey dia die grin
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Olaone1: 10:18pm On May 23, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Far from it bro. I'm not totally exempt, as my better half is very active in that industry. But the rot in there, as far as Naija is concerned, is worth a think, fat salary or not.
These guys know about the said rot in the industry. They just don't care. Their main concern is the huge pay. That tells you there are limits to the so-called 'conscience.' In fact, guys don't care about the teachings in their Holy books. Religion ke when dollars full ground. Ola wanna be like them oooo grin grin .No one wants to miss out on the the tear-up. That's human nature. You are very right, though.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Jarus(m): 10:29pm On May 23, 2012
nikkygal:

You guys are opening my eyes to inter-regional opportunities within the industry. But I think this labour mobility will be more difficult for us non-technical guys.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 12:00am On May 24, 2012
Jarus:

You guys are opening my eyes to inter-regional opportunities within the industry. But I think this labour mobility will be more difficult for us non-technical guys.

Jarus, I don't think so. A couple of naija based nontechnical people have successfully clinched offers in multinational oil companies around the world. I know a naija man who worked for Shell, The Hague. He has this CIMA qualification plus the regular BSc Accounting or Economics. I am not sure again. My oil trader guy in the UK also told me about one naija based mate who got an offer at one of the oil companies in Abu Dhabi. He relocated with his wife from naija almost immediately. I have also heard of one third guy like that, but I can't remember the details.

The idea, in my view, is to find time to apply to all these companies. They very much like and value experienced folks who have good industry knowledge. Saudi Aramco, for example, cherishes anything that claims years of oil and gas experience, whether technical or nontechnical.

A trial, they say, will convince you.

T22.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by kristofa09(m): 8:50am On May 24, 2012
kristofa09:
T22,
am looking at nigeria 4 nau cos am gona be sponsoring myself..aint gat d backing 4 an MSc in d UK of which i covet with evry fibre in my bones...bt u could stil make surgestn in d UK 4 me..i trust ur judgement.
If u've gat prospectus,u cn email it 2 me..we r frnds already..Mennn hw i lov d IOCs...
T22,
REPLY to my post pls.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by ibudes: 10:51am On May 24, 2012
Hello
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 11:18am On May 24, 2012
What schools were you given admission into? Provide that information so we can better understand the two.

Secondly, what is your own specific area of interest or are you simply aiming for any O&G job?
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by ibudes: 12:23pm On May 24, 2012
Hello
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 12:36pm On May 24, 2012
ibudes: TO ALL ( I NEED YOUR ADVICE)
Which of this two course pays better in today Oil and Gas Company
First Course is in Msc Offshore and Ocean Technology ( Sub-sea engineering)
Second Course is in Msc Petroleum and Gas Engineering.

Someone is willing to provide you with robust answers, but I am not sure if you are willing to respond to the person's specific questions. You may want to peruse the post before your recent post.

And I suspect that we exchanged posts some weeks ago. I might be wrong though, but something tells me I am not.

T22
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by travelgal456: 4:04pm On May 24, 2012
Please I need advice.

I have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and MBA from American universities. I have 4years experience as an Oracle DBA in USA. I am currently in the United States but I want to move back to Nigeria. I have a very good paying job in the US but I miss home (Nigeria). However I want to secure a job in Nigeria before I leave US. I will like a job in the Oil industry because I heard that’s where the money is.

Are there good paying jobs for Oracle DBAs in the oil industry in Nigeria? Do you know salary for Oracle DBAs in Nigeria? How do you think I should go about securing a job in Nigeria before I leave the US?

Thanks for your help in advance.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by AjanleKoko: 4:51pm On May 24, 2012
I need advice too.
I'm a covert operative in Afghanistan, but now interested in Nigeria's oil and gas industry. I miss home.
Do you think there's any use for my skills in the O&G industry in Nigeria? I mean Total in particular grin

2 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Jarus(m): 5:34pm On May 24, 2012
grin LOL

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (36) (Reply)

2022 Access Bank Graduate Trainee Recruitment Has Been Extended / ICAN May 2023 Diet Exam - Let's Meet Here / How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.