Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,774 members, 7,817,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:36 AM

Total Oil And Gas Workers - Career (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Total Oil And Gas Workers (223061 Views)

I Need Your Urgent Advice Conserning Total Oil Limited Appointment / Job Vacancy At Total Oil Limited Nigeria / Total Oil And Gas Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Jarus(m): 1:40pm On May 19, 2012
BIGER BOY: When I first posted here, I didn't quite read the previous pages but now I did, and it has put my brain on overdrive (God help me get this total job).

Just one thing what is the pay difference in total upstream and downstream for entry level non engineer position.?
Non-Engineer entry level @ Total downstream: max 4m pa
Same position @ Total Upstream: 9-11m

I have 4 years experience in the downstream sub-sector and asked Total downstream for 7m few months ago, but we couldn't reach an agreement, but while I was on that I got an upstream, for a higher figure and bonned Total.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by BIGERBOY1: 2:52pm On May 19, 2012
Thnx. Oga jarus, wish me luck.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Jarus(m): 4:15pm On May 19, 2012
Good luck

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 4:52pm On May 19, 2012
Jarus, which O and G company do you work for and as what?
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Jarus(m): 6:06pm On May 19, 2012
Not in any of the majors(Shell, Total, ENI, Agip, Chevron, and Mobil). But in one of the independent E&Ps (Afren, Seplat, Seven Energy etc). For obvious reasons, won't be specific.

I'm an Accountant.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 8:42pm On May 19, 2012
^^

I wouldn't mind working for one of those independents. You're likely to have more responsibility and opportunity to innovate because of the size of the company. Much more than if you're in a bigger corporation.

Make I go look this Chevron job sef. . . .maybe dem fit consider old man like me. grin
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 2good(m): 9:40pm On May 19, 2012
debosky: ^^

I wouldn't mind working for one of those independents. You're likely to have more responsibility and opportunity to innovate because of the size of the company. Much more than if you're in a bigger corporation.

Make I go look this Chevron job sef. . . .maybe dem fit consider old man like me. grin

Very true. The smaller companies are usually better if you want to have a steep learning curve. They give you better challenges than the very big multinationals.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by TENDON: 10:50pm On May 19, 2012
Felibaby:

The one,

Are you sure you dont work for Total? You know too much to be an outsider.

I work for Total and he got everything he said down to a Tee. The pay is much the same for Engineers and Non-Engineers, what makes the difference is the offshore allowance for people who work on the field.
I really could not comprehend the salary initially because i never believed a company can pay that much.
But then, like we use to say among my friends, it is a sin not to work in an oil company. cheesy
Good luck to everyone trying.
@felibaby, Please cud u shed more light on this difference between Total's upstream and downstream remuneration for entry level for engineers and non-engineers alike. The figures will be helpful.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 1:53am On May 20, 2012
Felibaby:

The one,

Are you sure you dont work for Total? You know too much to be an outsider.

I work for Total and he got everything he said down to a Tee. The pay is much the same for Engineers and Non-Engineers, what makes the difference is the offshore allowance for people who work on the field.
I really could not comprehend the salary initially because i never believed a company can pay that much.
But then, like we use to say among my friends, it is a sin not to work in an oil company. cheesy
Good luck to everyone trying.

gbam. I couldnt have said it better.
I was wondering if O and G companies in Naija offer their employees subsidized stock options as is available here in the US. One other interesting perk i was offered as well was the ability to pursue a part-time graduate degree of my choice (opting for the executive MBA in NYU) fully paid for by the company.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 2:31am On May 20, 2012
davidylan:

gbam. I couldnt have said it better.
I was wondering if O and G companies in Naija offer their employees subsidized stock options as is available here in the US. One other interesting perk i was offered as well was the ability to pursue a part-time graduate degree of my choice (opting for the executive MBA in NYU) fully paid for by the company.

Oh great! Congrats!! Stern is a nice one, I can assure you of that. Hope you will be visiting NYU soon. Jump at the perk sharply, no dulling. I am not sure if naija oil and gas companies offer such a huge support for their employees to pursue further studies. Perhaps the naija oyel workers could throw more light on this.

All the best bro

T22.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Jarus(m): 3:57pm On May 20, 2012
There is a subsidized stock option, but not aware of funded MBA. Maybe Shell and Chevron guys enjoy this, but doubt it, cos none of my friends there has ever mentioned it in our regular industry gists.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 4:15pm On May 20, 2012
^^ Even the assisted grad study is not a standard perk outside Nigeria - it all depends on the job type and the need for further study.

All IOCs will provide you with training opportunities aligned with your job role - the cost of such training can easily exceed the cost of an M.Sc course over a few years. I have friends on graduate program's at some IOCs that seem to be perpetually on training courses. grin
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 5:32pm On May 20, 2012
Jarus: There is a subsidized stock option, but not aware of funded MBA. Maybe Shell and Chevron guys enjoy this, but doubt it, cos none of my friends there has ever mentioned it in our regular industry gists.

It is typically available to those who are interested in taking advantage of it. I think it is something employees, who came in on a technical track but intend to progress up the career ladder by transitioning to management roles in future, should take advantage of.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 5:37pm On May 20, 2012
debosky: ^^ Even the assisted grad study is not a standard perk outside Nigeria - it all depends on the job type and the need for further study.

All IOCs will provide you with training opportunities aligned with your job role - the cost of such training can easily exceed the cost of an M.Sc course over a few years. I have friends on graduate program's at some IOCs that seem to be perpetually on training courses. grin

Don't hate the player, hate the game son grin

@ thread, while I don't disagree that indies can offer better salaries and opps, caution should be exercised when dealing with naija indies. I have a friend who went to work for one whose name starts with S; suffice to say dude quit after 8 months and they were owing him 2 months salary when he jumped ship!
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Jarus(m): 6:52pm On May 20, 2012
S - what ends it?
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 7:00pm On May 20, 2012
naijababe:

Don't hate the player, hate the game son grin

@ thread, while I don't disagree that indies can offer better salaries and opps, caution should be exercised when dealing with naija indies. I have a friend who went to work for one whose name starts with S; suffice to say dude quit after 8 months and they were owing him 2 months salary when he jumped ship!

Hate ke? I'm just more picky. . . . 1 course close to the Amsterdam red light district beats 4 in the gloomy granite city. grin

You need to pick your indie with care, avoid one-man businesses if you can and ask around before signing on the dotted line.

@dafidi wetin be the position dem offer you?

I'm looking to dust off my cv this summer grin
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 7:36pm On May 20, 2012
debosky:

Hate ke? I'm just more picky. . . . 1 course close to the Amsterdam red light district beats 4 in the gloomy granite city. grin

You need to pick your indie with care, avoid one-man businesses if you can and ask around before signing on the dotted line.

Ashawo buruku grin. You wan work for EM? All that glitters sha . . . . . . . . . . .

@ Jarus, ends with a. Heard some really good gist about Afren though, they are supposed to offering some beau coup wages
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Jarus(m): 8:30pm On May 20, 2012
Ends with a? Which year was that? Cos that indie is now doing well, hit gold after going into SA with one of these NNPC sub.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 8:34pm On May 20, 2012
debosky:

Toxicologist.
Bros dust am up abeg, like felibaby said... it is a sin not to enjoy part of the oil wealth. For me its not even so much the basic pay as it is the benefit package.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 2good(m): 9:01pm On May 20, 2012
davidylan:

Toxicologist.
Bros dust am up abeg, like felibaby said... it is a sin not to enjoy part of the oil wealth. For me its not even so much the basic pay as it is the benefit package.

Salary abroad is really not so fantastic compared to what you'll get in Nigeria. However, after working in Europe/ America or Middle East for sometime, it makes you highly exposed, experienced and marketable which I think is the major benefit of working outside Nigeria. The people earning the big salaries are in Africa and Middle East

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 10:02pm On May 20, 2012
davidylan:

Toxicologist.

So I suppose use homeboy Bayo's CV to apply - I hear that boy is a damn good toxicologist. Dem no fit distinguish between two fine boys or can they? cheesy

naijababe:

Ashawo buruku grin. You wan work for EM? All that glitters sha . . . . . . . . . . .

EM? Not sure - I hear their control-freakery is legendary - you're virtually a robot in certain roles. On the other hand, I have 5-6 ex-classmates working for them and they aren't complaining!

Better yet, I want to work for NNPC. Big money, little work, much junketing all over the place. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 10:04pm On May 20, 2012
Jarus: Ends with a? Which year was that? Cos that indie is now doing well, hit gold after going into SA with one of these NNPC sub.

2009/10

debosky:

So I suppose use homeboy Bayo's CV to apply - I hear that boy is a damn good toxicologist. Dem no fit distinguish between two fine boys or can they? cheesy

EM? Not sure - I hear their control-freakery is legendary - you're virtually a robot in certain roles. On the other hand, I have 5-6 ex-classmates working for them and they aren't complaining!

Better yet, I want to work for NNPC. Big money, little work, much junketing all over the place. cheesy

That's how it is, in fact the big kahunas often said it's their competitive advantage. Folks in EM do not complain until they get the real gist of what happens in other IOCs, I was in that boat some months ago!

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 2good(m): 10:24pm On May 20, 2012
debosky:

I worked with a couple of NNPC staff (NAPIMS), seconded to the drilling department of the company I worked in Nigeria and I must say they dont know anything in comparison with the number of years experience they claim. I think its a career killer to go there if you have a better option. People that work there retire and cannot work elsewhere cos they are not competitive in knowledge at retirement.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by alarm4: 11:39pm On May 20, 2012
NA WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ....WITH ALL THIS MILLION AND ENTRY WHT EVER SO JOB STILL THEY NJA OIL AND GAS COY...SO WERE ARE PPLE STILL COMPLAINIG NO JOBS...OR IS IT BY CONNECTION OR ABI NA BY MERIT...
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 11:54pm On May 20, 2012
2good:

Salary abroad is really not so fantastic compared to what you'll get in Nigeria. However, after working in Europe/ America or Middle East for sometime, it makes you highly exposed, experienced and marketable which I think is the major benefit of working outside Nigeria. The people earning the big salaries are in Africa and Middle East

depends on how you look at it. For example, here i wont have to pay for fuel to keep my gen running 24/7...

debosky:

lol na the interview stage dem go catch you. grin

debosky:

Depends. The only negative vibes i got about EM has come from those who have to work offshore. Those at the biomedical/R&grin division where i will be have zero complaints beyond the higher cost of living in NJ.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by bukahands(m): 8:29am On May 21, 2012
Good day all, My broda is a biochemist with a second class upper from unn and an MBA from Birminham, does he have a chance with these O&G companies and how can he start the process of getting into one THaNK U
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by livapul86(m): 9:37am On May 21, 2012
bukahands: Good day all, My broda is a biochemist with a second class upper from unn and an MBA from Birminham, does he have a chance with these O&G companies and how can he start the process of getting into one THaNK U
Chance? Everyone has a chance, it depends on having the required qualifications, knowing the right people and leaving the rest to God. He should start by being aware of the opportunities from the O & G companies, then start applying like everyone else.
Goodluck

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by AjanleKoko: 9:39am On May 21, 2012
Somebody needs to show this thread to Total HR grin

3 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by bukahands(m): 10:37am On May 21, 2012
livapul86:
Chance? Everyone has a chance, it depends on having the required qualifications, knowing the right people and leaving the rest to God. He should start by being aware of the opportunities from the O & G companies, then start applying like everyone else.
Goodluck

Thank you

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (36) (Reply)

2022 Access Bank Graduate Trainee Recruitment Has Been Extended / ICAN May 2023 Diet Exam - Let's Meet Here / How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.