Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,082 members, 7,821,724 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:18 PM

Total Oil And Gas Workers - Career (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Total Oil And Gas Workers (223245 Views)

I Need Your Urgent Advice Conserning Total Oil Limited Appointment / Job Vacancy At Total Oil Limited Nigeria / Total Oil And Gas Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by server34(m): 2:58pm On Jun 22, 2012
@ SefB, if you want work experience to count in your application to the IFP, it has to be relevant to the program you are applying for. Take a look at the course content of the program on the website, and ask yourself 'Do I know one or two things about these topics?' . Otherwise your selling point should be your good B.Sc degree in petroleum engr, a strong desire for a career in d oil and gas industry with willingness and capability to learn fast, and of course, evidence of self financing is important as T22 mentioned.

Your best bet in getting into the IFP is through scholarship (most likely Total). You can be shortlisted for this by submitting an unsolicited application @ careers.total.com
Second best option if you dont get a scholarship and wish to be self-sponsored is thru admission into the petroleum engineering masters program at texas a&m univ. i.e. do the GRE and TOEFL, apply to texas a&m, if you are successful and granted admission, you can then use this admission to apply to IFP asking for a joint masters with TAMU. Wishing u d best.

The Institute of Petroleum Studies (IPS) in port-harcourt is equally a good program as the IFP. You should also apply for this program when the vacancies come out usually around october. From my experience, chances of employment in the oil and gas industry in nigeria is even greater for IPS grads than IFP grads.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by sadyeek(m): 2:33pm On Jun 23, 2012
eonaiviv: Hi T22,

I c this thread seems 2 favour jst the engineers bt c'mon, how abt we non-engineers. I wud also rily love 2 work in an oil comp (or shipping comp as second choice) bt dont knw hw 2 go at it. Total is actually my dream comp and that y im learning french. I'm female, 25 years of age Biochemistry 2:2. doing masters now in NOUN (know its nt comparable 2 u guyz doing in canada nd d rest), abt 2 commence a certificate Project Leadership training in Cornell University (ecornell). Have HSE 1 & 2 for an SPDC ACCREDITED training centre. Have 3 years plus experience in facility management in an estate mgt company. A member of pmi and nim.

Pls where do i go from here?

Im a lil bit desperate nw. Dont wnt 2 get 2 old oh!

SHUD I SEND MY HARD COPY CV EVERYWHERE?

[size=16pt]wow! Impressive, that's a lot of papers!
I share your dream, only that mine is the other way around. Shipping then an oil company.
Would you like to share how you went about getting all this your certificates, and the time line? I want to get as much papers as I can but have this feeling that it would take too much time.

Guys I still need someone to help me with this (below)
[/size]

sadyeek:
[size=14pt]Wow! I some times see t22 at the bottom of posts in other section, I never knew he is such a helper. Man, I admire your work. Keep it up.

I don't have time to go through the whole pages but just the last few, noticed most of the people paticipating are either in chemical, petroleum, geology or other closely related fields.

I want to inquire about, someone who studied BSc mechanical engineering, what is the best oftion for masters in the US. I personaly, MSc in marine engineering is a nice idea, but I also want something related to gas! So my question is, do you have an idea of a MSc programme that blends this two together, what areas are best for mechanical engineer to futher his study and if there are any marine engineers that are experienced can you share with us.
Thank you
[/size]
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 86kid(f): 11:39pm On Jun 26, 2012
The thread gave me a reason to sign up on Nairaland.
Thumbs up all... Enjoyed the posts on career guide.
Made me checked out IFP, and I am thinking of enrolling for one of thier short programs.
I have worked in Telecoms, now in Banking, and starting a new career with the Oil and Gas sector next week (all in 2years).
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 2:20pm On Jun 27, 2012
@ saydeek

What do you think is 'nice' about marine engineering? What exactly are you interested in and why are you interested in it?

Cranfield university offers an M.Sc in offshore ocean technology with a number of options you could consider.

http://www.cranfield.ac.uk/sas/postgraduatestudy/taughtcourses/offshoreandoceantechnology/
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by doptimist1(m): 11:34pm On Jun 27, 2012
I know this is a Total forum but I have to say, the sooner we (I mean you all) stop putting too much emphasis on working in the oil and gas industry, the better things will get!
It's sad to see that so many people can't see their careers progressing beyond employment in oil and gas (15 - 20 years is all you need statement refers).

There you go cool
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 12:51am On Jun 28, 2012
d optimist: I know this is a Total forum but I have to say, the sooner we (I mean you all) stop putting too much emphasis on working in the oil and gas industry, the better things will get!
It's sad to see that so many people can't see their careers progressing beyond employment in oil and gas (15 - 20 years is all you need statement refers).

There you go cool

Okay.

T22
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 2good(m): 6:15am On Jun 28, 2012
d optimist: I know this is a Total forum but I have to say, the sooner we (I mean you all) stop putting too much emphasis on working in the oil and gas industry, the better things will get!

There you go cool

The bolded and coloured part of your quote is a very wrong allegation. Tell me where you saw in the entire posts on this topic where someone talked about working for an oil company all their life? Most people here are young and still at the early stage of their career so there is nothing wrong in them exchanging ideas on how to jump start their career.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by nitrogen(m): 1:37pm On Jun 28, 2012
2good:

The bolded and coloured part of quote is a very wrong allegation. Tell me where you saw in the entire posts on this topic where someone talked about working for an oil company all their life? Most people here are young and still at the early stage of their career so there is nothing wrong in them exchanging ideas on how to jump start their career.

Exactly.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by AjanleKoko: 7:30pm On Jun 28, 2012
2good:

The bolded and coloured part of your quote is a very wrong allegation. Tell me where you saw in the entire posts on this topic where someone talked about working for an oil company all their life? Most people here are young and still at the early stage of their career so there is nothing wrong in them exchanging ideas on how to jump start their career.

Jump start their careers in the oil companies you mean grin
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 2good(m): 7:50pm On Jun 28, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Jump start their careers in the oil companies you mean grin

of course we are discussing about oil company so that should be obvious.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by AjanleKoko: 8:40pm On Jun 28, 2012
2good:

of course we are discussing about oil company so that should be obvious.

Why can't they jump-start their careers in NIPOST? grin

Maybe I should start a new thread. NIPOST Postal Workers cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 8:47pm On Jun 28, 2012

There you go cool

You are a real optimist, veering into an idealist. . . .why do majority of people pursue careers? For money - hence the best paying jobs will receive the greatest emphasis.

You may not like it, but that's the reality. Not everyone will get oil and gas jobs, but there's nothing wrong in aspiring to get into one.

That said, there's a valid point in the midst of your optimistic post - people do need to look beyond just oil and gas and I'm sure many of the posters here are doing so - you need to pursue all available options and see which one(s) can help achieve the individual's aspirations.

Personally I want a large farm where I can ride my tractor ploughing my crops all day long in the plains of Osun state, feeding people and making money as well. Whatever I need to do to achieve that is fair game (excluding criminal pursuits of course grin).

3 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 2good(m): 9:03pm On Jun 28, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Why can't they jump-start their careers in NIPOST? grin

Maybe I should start a new thread. NIPOST Postal Workers cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

You can even start a thread about working in Lagos State Ministry and anybody that like such career is free to aspire to work there. Its a free world bro..
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by AjanleKoko: 10:28pm On Jun 28, 2012
2good:

You can even start a thread about working in Lagos State Ministry and anybody that like such career is free to aspire to work there. Its a free world bro..

There's no need for the sarcasm, ogbeni.
Na human beings dey work for Lagos State ministry undecided
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 2good(m): 10:47pm On Jun 28, 2012
AjanleKoko:

There's no need for the sarcasm, ogbeni.
Na human beings dey work for Lagos State ministry undecided

When U mention NIPOST you forget say na people dey work there?

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by AjanleKoko: 11:05pm On Jun 28, 2012
2good:

When U mention NIPOST you forget say na people dey work there?

Of course, na people dey work there.
Which is why I asked why people can't start their career in NIPOST cool
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 2good(m): 11:18pm On Jun 28, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Of course, na people dey work there.
Which is why I asked why people can't start their career in NIPOST cool

Same reason why I said you can open a thread about Lagos State Ministry incase some people will like to work there cool cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 5:45am On Jun 29, 2012
People should not overlook chemical companies though. I have it on confirmed insider info that 3M and Dow chemical company are going to be moving to Nigeria very very soon. Great companies to work for.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by yemmyma: 10:54am On Jun 29, 2012
There should be total respect for this thread as it is only for oil and gas workers and aspirants. That is why i am happy to see many people moving back to Nigeria to contribute to oil and gas.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 6:28pm On Jun 29, 2012
davidylan: People should not overlook chemical companies though. I have it on confirmed insider info that 3M and Dow chemical company are going to be moving to Nigeria very very soon. Great companies to work for.

You don't say. . . .if they are willing to pay oil company-esque armed robber salaries than count me in. grin
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Insanity(m): 5:06pm On Jul 01, 2012
Hey peeps,
i've finally decided on the schools for my post graduate studies...
Geotech Engineering-Texas A&M
Geotech Eng- U texas Austin
Geological science and Engineering- Colorado school of Mines.
What do U guys think? i pray one of those will admit me.
Someone jst told me that Texas A&M hardly admit international students...i doubt that bt i just wanna confirm so dat i don't waste d application fee.
What of Delf University netherland? Heard its a very good sch for engineering.
Am also thinking of switching to Petroleum Engineering MEng @ University of Tulsa..please judging from the fact that i did Civil Eng B.Eng..is that a good career move..i need you guys that are more experienced in this to advice me.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by netotse(m): 11:47pm On Jul 01, 2012
davidylan: People should not overlook chemical companies though. I have it on confirmed insider info that 3M and Dow chemical company are going to be moving to Nigeria very very soon. Great companies to work for.

I know a lot of industries in nigeria view 3M gear as the ultimate when it comes to safety, so I'm guessing they've noticed and want to eliminate all the middlemen involved.

@Debosky
ko jo o, na only politics fit pay that kain money, go join PDP tongue
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 3:05am On Jul 02, 2012
debosky:

You don't say. . . .if they are willing to pay oil company-esque armed robber salaries than count me in. grin

You go wait tire. grin At 3M and Dow USA, the pay is at least 10-15% less than that obtainable in oil companies for comparable positions. But they are very good companies to work for.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 10:21pm On Jul 02, 2012
netotse:

I know a lot of industries in nigeria view 3M gear as the ultimate when it comes to safety, so I'm guessing they've noticed and want to eliminate all the middlemen involved.

@Debosky
ko jo o, na only politics fit pay that kain money, go join PDP tongue

Long time no see bro. . . hope you're keeping things running in the kilns wink

As for PDP, that is for much later. . . .I'm still interviewing jazzmen. grin

davidylan:

You go wait tire. grin At 3M and Dow USA, the pay is at least 10-15% less than that obtainable in oil companies for comparable positions. But they are very good companies to work for.

No way. . . .they berra upgrade their salary or I will choose PDP over them.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by holusormi(m): 3:46pm On Jul 06, 2012
hii peeps, pls i noticed most of the people conversing here are chemical engineers,petrolechemical grads,mining greads ..etc
i wanted to ask what ma career prospects are as a mechanical engineering graduate, to work at total do i need to get ma masters in a petroleum related course or offshore engineering or shuld i simply do ma masters in mechanical engineering? what are ma prospects pls??/
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by KayDee4: 12:25pm On Jul 07, 2012
holusormi: hii peeps, pls i noticed most of the people conversing here are chemical engineers,petrolechemical grads,mining greads ..etc
i wanted to ask what ma career prospects are as a mechanical engineering graduate, to work at total do i need to get ma masters in a petroleum related course or offshore engineering or shuld i simply do ma masters in mechanical engineering? what are ma prospects pls??/

[size=13pt]Mechanical engineers also work in EnP, they are in charge of designing, monitoring and maintenance of the machinery used in exploration, I've seen mechanical engineers become drilling, piping, reservoir and even petroleum engineers.
If you apply and get a job with your bachelors degree, then you will be trained on the job into any of these areas but if you need a Masters degree or higher to get a job (which is the case nowadays), then it will be better to specialize in a specific area of interest (energy related) or switch altogether to petroleum or reservoir engineering, I believe this widens your prospects. Engineers on this thread can give you more info on this
[/size]
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by USAMarshal: 2:59am On Jul 08, 2012
hello
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Insanity(m): 2:01pm On Jul 08, 2012
Insanity: Hey peeps,
Someone jst told me that Texas A&M hardly admit international students...i doubt that bt i just wanna confirm so dat i don't waste d application fee.
Am also thinking of switching to Petroleum Engineering MEng @ University of Tulsa..please judging from the fact that i did Civil Eng B.Eng..is that a good career move..i need you guys that are more experienced in this to advice me.

Please guys, i need ur advice on this...thanks as i await Uя reply
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by holusormi(m): 6:38pm On Jul 08, 2012
@kay-dee,thanks so much for ur reply,twas really helpful..God bless u......still need more replies from oders tough
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by KayDee4: 3:02am On Jul 09, 2012
Insanity: Hey peeps,

[size=13pt]
Those are good options you have for schools but I dont think anyone can tell whether or not you will be admitted unless you submit your application and it is reviewed,; however, you can check up the acceptance rates of different schools (can't remember the website now), that will give you an idea of your chances of getting admitted. Its always harder (but not impossible) to get into top ranked schools like the ones you listed ; you should cast your net far and wide, expand your options by applying to different schools, some top ranked ones usually with low acceptance rates and lower ranked ones with higher acceptance rates.
Also check the departmental website of your prospective program in the different schools you wish to apply to and look for available research in your area of interest then contact the professors involved and get talking. If you find someone that has a project you can work on, that will boost your chances of admission by a great deal.
[/size]
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Insanity(m): 6:09pm On Jul 10, 2012
Thanks kay-dee, i appreciate! n if you know of any other good school for engineering geology in US and Canada, let me know d school. Once again, THANKS!
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by EdDave(m): 10:04am On Jul 12, 2012
Hello Tanimola, Jarus,debosky,2good,Tendon and others.

I appreciate what you guys are doing on this thread. The information you guys are dishing out is priceless.I have a very close friend that I am trying to help advance his career. He graduated with a 3rd class in Elect/Elect and will like to work in the oil and gas servicing sector. What advice can you guys give regarding graduate programs? Personally, from the information I have gathered here regarding folks getting entry level positions with just Nigerian BSc, my advice to to him is to use a dragnet approach by aggressively sending his CV to numerous oil and gas sector firms, prayers and preparing very well for interviews when called. Do you guys think with luck this might work? He also has eyes in the shipping industry. Is there a list somewhere of shipping companies in Nigeria and MNOCs? If you guys know please you can reply with the link(s). Another help you guys can render that will be appreciated is a copy of CV that has worked in helping get one a job in the oil and gas sector. Of course private details and information that might disclose anonymity can be blacked out. Once again I appreciate what you guys are doing here and I am looking forward to responses.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (36) (Reply)

2022 Access Bank Graduate Trainee Recruitment Has Been Extended / ICAN May 2023 Diet Exam - Let's Meet Here / How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.