Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,363 members, 7,836,472 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:31 AM

Total Oil And Gas Workers - Career (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Total Oil And Gas Workers (223609 Views)

I Need Your Urgent Advice Conserning Total Oil Limited Appointment / Job Vacancy At Total Oil Limited Nigeria / Total Oil And Gas Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Chyvy(f): 7:57am On Aug 18, 2012
Thanks smiley
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 8:27am On Aug 18, 2012
Chyvy: @Tanimola22

Do u know the entry level pay of Total offshore worker with OND? And how much more for an OND worker with like say 4 years experience? Pls its urgent. Thanks smiley

Hi,

I don't know the specific figure, but someone with an OND should be ecstatically jocund that he/she is even given an opportunity to attend a job assessment for an offshore position at Total. I say this because anything more than 80K is very fair for a such a person (considering the current state of unemployment in naija), and total won't offer less than this.

Meanwhile, I am curious to know what the exact figure is. I will ring my friend and later get back to you.

T22.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 2sexy(m): 5:18pm On Aug 18, 2012
tanimola22:

Hi,

I don't know the specific figure, but someone with an OND should be ecstatically jocund that he/she is even given an opportunity to attend a job assessment for an offshore position at Total. I say this because anything more than 80K is very fair for a such a person (considering the current state of unemployment in naija), and total won't offer less than this.

Meanwhile, I am curious to know what the exact figure is. I will ring my friend and later get back to you.

T22.

T22... You have given your best in areas you are quite knowledgeable in. So, let me help here.

I have friends who got into TOTAL at OND entry level and I should have been among them but God knows why.

@chyvy, the answer to your question is that TOTAL pays well at OND entry level but I do not know what other fields will consume as per salary but I believe the differences wouldnt be much.

For most of my guys who got in, one bought a duplex in Lagos, another and another one (as at the last time we spoke) said he is building his house... And generally, all the OND holders at TOTAL can afford a brand new car. No Kidding. For those that own houses, it does not mean that TOTAL pay them in millions but there is a special package TOTAL often give their staff after training( the pay go make u kolo o) and it is from there that they get money to build or by a house.

You should receive nothing less than 260-300k/shift... At least,by gauging my friends who are in the operator field.

Hope this helps...
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by maryini(f): 6:10pm On Aug 18, 2012
Please Debosky, tanimola22, naijababe, jaybee and all....do you have any information or an inkling of what a chevron skills test for process/chemical engineers would cover?
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Chyvy(f): 11:18am On Aug 19, 2012
wink@Tanimola, 2sexy, tanks dear...dat was really helpful. Actually, I concur more wit 2sexy, cos I hav a friend who took up an offer wit them wit OND, and he's already built his duplex, and his brand new car too, and can afford numerous foreign trips, so I guess u may be right there...tanks
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 2sexy(m): 4:34pm On Aug 19, 2012
Chyvy: wink@Tanimola, 2sexy, tanks dear...dat was really helpful. Actually, I concur more wit 2sexy, cos I hav a friend who took up an offer wit them wit OND, and he's already built his duplex, and his brand new car too, and can afford numerous foreign trips, so I guess u may be right there...tanks
Yup... This offshore package which you are making enquiry for, how does one apply? I just completed my HND . Abeg, fill me in.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by omeome: 2:36am On Aug 20, 2012
I have four friends currently working with total with their OND.They are being paid salary range of 450 to 620 monthly depending on the area one is deployed to.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 2sexy(m): 7:33am On Aug 20, 2012
omeome: I have four friends currently working with total with their OND.They are being paid salary range of 450 to 620 monthly depending on the area one is deployed to.
when and how did they get in? I believe between 2007-2009 because that was the year when Total really employed much OND. Its been hard now because they hardly recruit OND holders this days due to change of management.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by HenryO49: 8:04am On Aug 20, 2012
yea, 2sexy, 2005-2009 was the recruitment drive because of oil prices. now the recruitment isnt as much. some of the staff who go on study leave are not even able to get re-absorbed. and even then, i dont think they take HNDs - they take ONDs and then university degrees - BSc, MSc, PhD. the HND holders i know in oil had to apply with their ONDs - even some BSc holders who entered uni through direct entry had to step down to apply with their ONDs.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by HenryO49: 8:10am On Aug 20, 2012
in general - as to pay, the pay in these companies are difficult to put a number to, because of the way its generally spread. your monthly pay is not your annual pay divided by 12. and your annual pay is not your combined 5-yr income divided by 5, for example.
however, you can expect at least 500k naira every month, and about 10m every year - these are minimum, but they should be good enough for you if you are not already in one of those companies.
also quit planning how to spend the money when you'v not even got the job. unless you have a choice between 2 or more companies, you should care what exactly they pay. spend your energy getting information on how to get the job.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 2sexy(m): 8:26am On Aug 20, 2012
HenryO49: yea, 2sexy, 2005-2009 was the recruitment drive because of oil prices. now the recruitment isnt as much. some of the staff who go on study leave are not even able to get re-absorbed. and even then, i dont think they take HNDs - they take ONDs and then university degrees - BSc, MSc, PhD. the HND holders i know in oil had to apply with their ONDs - even some BSc holders who entered uni through direct entry had to step down to apply with their ONDs.
I agree with you... But know your way should be the watch word...
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 9:00am On Aug 20, 2012
-
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by AjanleKoko: 9:51am On Aug 20, 2012
BlueDiva: Speculating and day dreaming about other peoples income.
It almost seem like most people here are losers. tongue

Funny enough, the real Total staff seem to be avoiding commenting here.
You guys should focus on your careers and stop daydreaming about Total.

Lot's of small oil servicing firms have better packages than your Total.

The annoying thing is that most of you are just guessing and are totally clueless.

babes, why are you raining on people's parades embarassed

Killjoy! grin
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 10:32am On Aug 20, 2012
-

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by AjanleKoko: 10:39am On Aug 20, 2012
BlueDiva:

It's crazy, the quest for money instead of a career.
Ironically, most oil workers are nothing to write home about long after leaving the industry.

Dubai has moved from an oil economy to a tourist economy.
All we do here is daydream about oil jobs. Very soon these oil companies will ship out when una oil dry up.

The most annoying thing is that most of them know nothing about the industry.
Some have even become the mentors, given others wrong info. A case of the blind deceiving the blind.

Quite.
But you can't blame the people. They are young, and they need the leg outta poverty.
It is really desperation that leads to discussions like this. Let's not condemn desperation. Things are quite grim out there.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 11:01am On Aug 20, 2012
BlueDiva:

It's crazy, the quest for money instead of a career.
Ironically, most oil workers are nothing to write home about long after leaving the industry.

Dubai has moved from an oil economy to a tourist economy.
All we do here is daydream about oil jobs. Very soon these oil companies will ship out when una oil dry up.

The most annoying thing is that most of them know nothing about the industry.
Some have even become the mentors, given others wrong info. A case of the blind deceiving the blind.
You should learn to empathize and respect other people's desires. I quite agree with you that many are only focused on money, instead of building skills that will outlast the wave of the moments. Like AjanleKoko said, it may be due to the Nigerian situation. There was a time I quit my 'comfortable' job and people kept asking me if I got another bigger offer. And I kept asking myself: do you quit a job only because of money? I never derived satisfaction in the job, I never liked the career path and I strongly felt the job was not giving me the right skills as an engineer. I believe that one should be more focused on either being a job creator, or having the required skills that will make one marketable anyday, anytime. That is not to say that working in Total (oyel company, as some will say) is not a dream worth trying. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 11:19am On Aug 20, 2012
-

2 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 11:30am On Aug 20, 2012
Hehehe. . . .point out the guessers BlueDiva. I don't want any lies getting in the way of my securing a lucrative oyel job oh. angry

maryini: Please Debosky, tanimola22, naijababe, jaybee and all....do you have any information or an inkling of what a chevron skills test for process/chemical engineers would cover?

Hey Maryini. . .I guess you're being interviewed for the facilities engineering positions advertised a while back?

If nothing else, the fundamentals may be tested - phase equilibrium, liquid vapour (water/oil/gas) separation, any process simulation experience (Aspen Plus, HYSYS), ability to interpret piping and instrumentation drawings (P&IDs), process flow diagrams (PFDs) and the like.

If you can share what the job spec/requirements are, then maybe the advice can be better tailored. Process engineers may fill a variety of roles so the specific one you're being assessed for would be a good starting point.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 2sexy(m): 2:01pm On Aug 20, 2012
BlueDiva: Maybe i sound a little harsh.
I just don't like the level of desperation and half truths that stinks all over the thread.

Like i said, a lot of oil servicing companies have better welfare packages.
Build a career first, make yourself an authority in your field and even Total will come knocking.
take am easy na... Either job, career, one still information. Why didnt you just give advice in a polite manner? I understand all you mean and I have them on my finger tips. As a matter of fact, I have long gotten off the Total hunt thing when I realised that there are other servicing companies and local ones as well.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by loye80: 8:00pm On Aug 21, 2012
Hello house,
I have total aptitude and professional tests for the position of instrumentation engineer on 1st september.
Anyone with hints on what to expect should kindly help.
thanks.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by depiero(m): 9:00pm On Aug 22, 2012
Please guys, I was invited by total to take an aptitude test, and a technical test comes up immediately after, for a reservoir engineering position.
I need help on what i should expect for the technical test.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by candylips(m): 9:38am On Aug 23, 2012
BlueDiva: Speculating and day dreaming about other peoples income.
It almost seem like most people here are losers. tongue

Funny enough, the real Total staff seem to be avoiding commenting here.
You guys should focus on your careers and stop daydreaming about Total.

Lot's of small oil servicing firms have better packages than your Total.

The annoying thing is that most of you are just guessing and are totally clueless.

if you are not totally clueless yourself why don't you provide details of the package of the small oil servicing company you claim pay better than Total.

BTW, a small advice . . next time you don't have anything constructive to contribute to a thread. Then stay clear of it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by AjanleKoko: 10:10am On Aug 23, 2012
^^
bros,
you and the Blue Lady don cross swords somewhere before?
Anyways, how you dey?
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by GreenOil(m): 10:16am On Aug 23, 2012
'ello houz, educatin' forum... I knew some1 lyk BlueDiva will surface... Am a Petroleum Engineer, keep it guyz...Its a forum, so discuss n dont mind d Diva, she's jus passin' bye lyk muah.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by ebariba: 11:54am On Aug 23, 2012
I don't understand how some folks will sit on a high horse having gotten to a stage they consider comfortable in their minds and tell people how to lead their lives.

If anyone wishes to pursue money and not career, how is that anyone's business? If you are unable to contribute without being borderline rude and patronizing, you may wish to steer clear.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 2sexy(m): 2:47pm On Aug 23, 2012
There are many like her here but would not want to give directives as to how one can build a career.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 7:32pm On Aug 23, 2012
-

2 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 2sexy(m): 8:05pm On Aug 23, 2012
BlueDiva: Emm. . .see them attacking me.
Just a friendly advice, stop day dreaming and peddling wrong info about an organization you know nothing about.

Nobody is talking about the challenges or the contributions they can make.
All we hear is 'how much Total pays'. Unfortunately, peeps who don't even know the offices of Total are the ones dishing out info.

No harm intended, i just feel it's embarrassing to hear grown a[i]s[/i]s adults talk like this.
Make una nor vex o, keep speculating and day dreaming while others live the life.
abeg e don do. When I raised the issue on how to develop skills and build a career path in the oil and gas industry, how many people responded? NON! I was even thinking it would get a front page exposure and looking at the nature and title of that thread, I expect a debate from those that have worked . Alas! Nothing... And the thread died a natural death with no contribution.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 2good(m): 9:02pm On Aug 23, 2012
BlueDiva: Emm. . .see them attacking me.
Just a friendly advice, stop day dreaming and peddling wrong info about an organization you know nothing about.

Nobody is talking about the challenges or the contributions they can make.
All we hear is 'how much Total pays'. Unfortunately, peeps who don't even know the offices of Total are the ones dishing out info.

No harm intended, i just feel it's embarrassing to hear grown a[i]s[/i]s adults talk like this.
Make una nor vex o, keep speculating and day dreaming while others live the life.

Why don't you leave the thread if you don't like what you see here? It is obvious you know nothing abut the oil and gas industry so its better you don't comment.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 9:36pm On Aug 23, 2012
-
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by ebariba: 10:34pm On Aug 23, 2012
BlueDiva: Running away with my tails between my legs. . . grin

Please don't come back; I guess most people here don't need psychics who can tell by reading people's comments if they 'know the offices of Total'.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 10:34pm On Aug 23, 2012
interestingly,e diva and ajanlekoko mirror some of the issues that continue to bedevil nigerians. there is a preference for dubious bs rather than straight talk. this is the same reason wny people keep getting conned into dubious job offer schemes / canadian visa etal scams.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (36) (Reply)

ICAN May 2023 Diet Exam - Let's Meet Here / 2022 Access Bank Graduate Trainee Recruitment Has Been Extended / How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.