Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,899 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:37 PM

Total Oil And Gas Workers - Career (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Total Oil And Gas Workers (222971 Views)

I Need Your Urgent Advice Conserning Total Oil Limited Appointment / Job Vacancy At Total Oil Limited Nigeria / Total Oil And Gas Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by AjanleKoko: 12:24am On Aug 24, 2012
oyb: interestingly,e diva and ajanlekoko mirror some of the issues that continue to bedevil nigerians. there is a preference for dubious bs rather than straight talk. this is the same reason wny people keep getting conned into dubious job offer schemes / canadian visa etal scams.

Ever seen the classic Simpsons episode about war?

Season 1 Episode 5. wink
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 9:17am On Aug 24, 2012
oyb: interestingly,e diva and ajanlekoko mirror some of the issues that continue to bedevil nigerians. there is a preference for dubious bs rather than straight talk. this is the same reason wny people keep getting conned into dubious job offer schemes / canadian visa etal scams.

If only the straight talk is not laced with vituperations at best and outright condescension at worst, how the feck am i supposed to take advise from someone who's insulting me simply because they are in better station in life?!

Nigerians and their na me better pass and na me know pass attitudes, mtchew!

maryini: Please Debosky, tanimola22, naijababe, jaybee and all....do you have any information or an inkling of what a chevron skills test for process/chemical engineers would cover?

I have no idea as I worked in Subsurface throughout my stint with Chevron, but I'll see what I can find out for you if it's not too late.

3 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Stronger99: 12:03pm On Aug 24, 2012
Whats with d obsession with oil and gas? I dnt see anything wrong with someone trying to point out dat the oil and gas craze is irritating. Over here it is a pride to be a carpenter or a plumber or a police man. They should be dignity in labor. All d talk of making oyel money sounds so shallow. I knw dat we as a nation of young, talented youths are better than this.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by AjanleKoko: 2:43pm On Aug 24, 2012
naijababe:
If only the straight talk is not laced with vituperations at best and outright condescension at worst, how the feck am i supposed to take advise from someone who's insulting me simply because they are in better station in life?!

Nigerians and their na me better pass and na me know pass attitudes, mtchew!

Well . . . I don't think anybody insulted anybody. And a lot of the so-called 'requests for advice' are silly jare.
To be honest I am surprised that people are applying to a company and the only thing they want to know is how much they are paying. Doesn't that sound a tad silly?

It's not like the title of this thread is 'Career Advice for prospective oil and gas workers'. This thread is more like a lip-licking session over Total and their perceived armed robbers salary. And the reaction to BD's posts are even more amazing. Just saying sha embarassed

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by candylips(m): 4:13pm On Aug 24, 2012
AjanleKoko: ^^
bros,
you and the Blue Lady don cross swords somewhere before?
Anyways, how you dey?

my oga i dey o.

I don clock 1 yr already. grin

you haven't sent me your contact sad
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by AjanleKoko: 4:31pm On Aug 24, 2012
candylips:

my oga i dey o.

I don clock 1 yr already. grin

you haven't sent me your contact sad

I don send you PM now wink
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Santino1(m): 2:46am On Aug 25, 2012
Nice thread....@T22, Jarus, AJ, Debosky, Naijababe, Kay-Dee (my oga I see you oo). well done for all the great tips.

I am presently in the final lapse of my M.Sc programme in one of the top 20 universities in Europe and intend to proceed to the Ph.D level (apparently, not everyone is cut out for O and G job) because I've always had this flair for research.

I presently have an SNF fully-funded Ph.D offer in one of the top schools in Western Europe but I'll prefer a funded position in US or Canada instead. To this end, I have applied to TAMU and Unialberta.

I would like to know which you think is the best.

T22, Jarus, AJ, Debosky, Naijababe, Kay-Dee, I'm awaiting your expert opinions.

Thanks
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 9:32am On Aug 25, 2012
I think a difference has to be made between which Total is involved. Recently I got an offer from Total downstream on Afribank street in VI. The offer was just a little less, including all benefits with the damnation of being posted to any state of the federation. I rejected this offer cos I got something better elsewhere.
So, it kinda amazes me to see the figures quoted here. Perhaps they only apply to Totol grin upstream
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 2good(m): 10:24am On Aug 25, 2012
sauer: I think a difference has to be made between which Total is involved. Recently I got an offer from Total downstream on Afribank street in VI. The offer was just a little less than 4m per annum, including all benefits with the damnation of being posted to any state of the federation. I rejected this offer cos I got something better elsewhere.
So, it kinda amazes me to see the figures quoted here. Perhaps they only apply to Totol grin upstream

I think almost everybody giving advice here knows the difference. Downstream doesn't pay well generally because the market is very much localized.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Saifullah01: 1:00pm On Aug 25, 2012
sauer: I think a difference has to be made between which Total is involved. Recently I got an offer from Total downstream on Afribank street in VI. The offer was just a little less than 4m per annum, including all benefits with the damnation of being posted to any state of the federation. I rejected this offer cos I got something better elsewhere.

Gbam! To ur post abeg.

I just wanted to find out if total upstream is among the top payers. Where is total downstream on the pay scale? ( I.e compared to oando, con oil, MRS, mobil downstream and others)

PS pls informed answers only not guess works.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by AjanleKoko: 9:05am On Aug 26, 2012
Saifullah01:

Gbam! To ur post abeg.

I just wanted to find out if total upstream is among the top payers. Where is total downstream on the pay scale? ( I.e compared to oando, con oil, MRS, mobil downstream and others)

PS pls informed answers only not guess works.

Why not ask the companies themselves? No one can be better informed undecided
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 4:15pm On Aug 27, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Why not ask the companies themselves? No one can be better informed undecided

Do the companies provide such salary information to anyone who requests for it? I'm not sure you can contact MRS and Oando and get their salary information divulged that simply. . . though I may be wrong.

Santino1:
I presently have an SNF fully-funded Ph.D offer in one of the top schools in Western Europe but I'll prefer a funded position in US or Canada instead. To this end, I have applied to TAMU and Unialberta.

Great to know you have a funded position already. I can't tell you how more relaxed and objective this makes you when you're looking at other options. grin

In general terms the choice between both schools depends on what your research area focuses on. If you're looking at oil sands recovery, crude upgrading and the likes then UAlberta is probably a better option. I'll admit I'm not the most familiar with the research specifics of TAMU, but by virtue of their location they are likely to be stronger in shale gas technologies and offshore research.

As always, when looking at a p.hD position the key is looking at the pedigree of your intended supervisor and his track record of getting research funding, publishing papers and carrying out industry-relevant research (or non industry-relevant, depending on your own research preferences).

Do you have a specific area you're interested in?

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Santino1(m): 9:17pm On Aug 27, 2012
^^Thanks for the response

Like you rightly pointed out, TAMU focuses more on unconventional resources exploration and co. though my research interest is in Sequence strat/basin analysis and UAlberta seems to be ideal but the issue is, I spoke with their expert in those field at length, he said he'll be retiring in a couple of years and that is my fear cos we had this great expert in my school and few months prior to the commencement of my study, the guy left for imperial (I'm trying to avoid a repeat).

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 11:56am On Aug 28, 2012
^^

Is the expert the only one working in that area in Alberta? There might be others, who may not be at the same expert level, who can also be suitable supervisors. Even if he's retiring in a couple of years, that may be sufficient time to make your own connections. I had a friend at Alberta doing research under this guy (in oil sands upgrading) who was semi-retired and simply the association with the prof's name opened doors for him.

You may also want to find out what his available in Calgary as well. . .

Does TAMU not have expertise in that area? I'd be surprised if they didn't.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Santino1(m): 9:36pm On Aug 28, 2012
^^Nope, there are two of them actually, but he's more renowned and a "complete package" as the other guy is more of a geophysicist with subtle interest in sequence strat. True, perhaps I'm gonna explore that option as well. Thanks for the heads up, I'll check out Calgary as well.

The guys that came close at TAMU listed petroleum geosciences as his expertise but we both know that is a very broad term. We had some correspondence via mail and it seems he's more into GeoSEAD but he's a great contributor to Basin Research.

Thanks.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 3:05pm On Aug 29, 2012
-
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by yemmyma: 4:55pm On Aug 29, 2012
BlueDiva: Since inception of this thread how many of us are now in Total?
Baba Kasali has since made millions from his farm while majority still daydream of Total.

If you want to work in Total, send your CV to me. . . cool

Is this what you have chosen to do for a full time job?

2 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Maisuya1: 6:30pm On Aug 29, 2012
^
I personally know of two people who have joined total (and benefited from this thread) since the thread was started, and that's just me.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 7:13pm On Aug 29, 2012
sauer: I think a difference has to be made between which Total is involved. Recently I got an offer from Total downstream on Afribank street in VI. The offer was just a little less, including all benefits with the damnation of being posted to any state of the federation. I rejected this offer cos I got something better elsewhere.

I mentioned the difference in pay scale earlier in this thread. Check.

The 11m thingy is for upstream Total E&P. Their downstream pay, for entry level, is in the region of 4m. Oando is also in that range. With 4 years experience in downstream Oando, Total Nigeria Plc (downstream) also offered me 6 earlier this year, but I rejected it. Yet, they and Oando are still the industry leader in terms of pay in the marketing industry, at least at non-management level. Conoil, Zenon pay ridiculous amounts. Forte is enticing people with plum offer now and poaching people from Oando etc, but I see it as a bubble they may not be able to sustain, not with Femi Otedola.

The total that is being discussed here in E&P.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 7:25pm On Aug 29, 2012
-
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 10:14pm On Aug 29, 2012
Jarus:

I mentioned the difference in pay scale earlier in this thread. Check.

The 11m thingy is for upstream Total E&P. Their downstream pay, for entry level, is in the region of 4m. Oando is also in that range. With 4 years experience in downstream Oando, Total Nigeria Plc (downstream) also offered me 6 earlier this year, but I rejected it. Yet, they and Oando are still the industry leader in terms of pay in the marketing industry, at least at non-management level. Conoil, Zenon pay ridiculous amounts. Forte is enticing people with plum offer now and poaching people from Oando etc, but I see it as a bubble they may not be able to sustain, not with Femi Otedola.

The total that is being discussed here in E&P.
Okay, i talked to a close friend recently and can confirm 14m for total e&p entry level. It's quite shocking! But from what i understand, it isnt exactly that he goes home with 14/12m monthly.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by ebariba: 11:47pm On Aug 29, 2012
Baba Kasali has since made millions from his farm while majority still daydream of Total.

Mai-suya:
^
I personally know of two people who have joined total (and benefited from this thread) since the thread was started, and that's just me.
[quote author=Mai-suya]^

And I have a brother who's currently doing an MSc in Petroleum Engineering in IPS, port harcourt and some of the information garnered on here has proven quite valuable.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by KayDee4: 1:20am On Aug 30, 2012
Santino1: Nice thread....@T22, Jarus, AJ, Debosky, Naijababe, Kay-Dee (my oga I see you oo). well done for all the great tips.

I am presently in the final lapse of my M.Sc programme in one of the top 20 universities in Europe and intend to proceed to the Ph.D level (apparently, not everyone is cut out for O and G job) because I've always had this flair for research.

T22, Jarus, AJ, Debosky, Naijababe, Kay-Dee, I'm awaiting your expert opinions.

Thanks
Debo already said it all.
If the expert in your field of interest is retiring, hook up with the next best person there; these are top schools and their faculty members are world-renowned and can easily get industry funding for research projects. But if the alternative is more inclined to geophysics like you said, then you may have to look around a little more, because a geophysicist's knowledge of Sequence Strat. will most likely be shallow for a big research. Sequence strat. is already too complicated for core stratigraphers not to mention geophysicists.
You may have to tune (not totally deviate) your research interests to blend with what and who is available because sometimes, its difficult to find someone or data or available projects that exactly match your interest.
You should get back to the TAMU guy who is into petroleum geosciences and tell him what your interests are; true its a broad term/field but it includes Sequence Strat. and Basin analysis so your research work can be narrowed down to any of these aspects.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Bawss1(m): 2:16pm On Aug 30, 2012

Is this not straight up player-hatin'?

The folks here are asking questions about job positions with Total and somehow this draws you to make spiteful comments? The facade of concern for people to get out of dreamland can only hold for so long. People who take your position are usually driven by something ulterior.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 2:25pm On Aug 30, 2012

Pls what is your email address? grin
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 4:43pm On Aug 30, 2012
-
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by shakur4luv(m): 6:56pm On Aug 30, 2012
guys abeg i get o'level anybody can help with job pls
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by AjanleKoko: 7:34pm On Aug 30, 2012
Mai-suya:
^

Ahem.
They read this thread and joined Total? Or is it the other way round?
How did the info help them exactly? We wanna know undecided
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 7:52pm On Aug 30, 2012
-
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by yemmyma: 4:14am On Aug 31, 2012
BlueDiva: ^^^
Chief, don't ask o.
Oyel money people are not smiling these days.

I wonder where exactly you are from undecided. I'd be surprised if you are not a Nigerian graduate yourself, so why the hating?

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 5:37am On Aug 31, 2012
-
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 2good(m): 7:10am On Aug 31, 2012
BlueDiva:

It's you again.
Does your job schedule now involve following a diva around?

Why don't you stop trolling on this thread and go elsewhere? You are becoming irritating with your posts.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (36) (Reply)

2022 Access Bank Graduate Trainee Recruitment Has Been Extended / ICAN May 2023 Diet Exam - Let's Meet Here / How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.