Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,975 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:20 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (463927 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (536) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by stephoye: 10:22am On May 29, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Very simple....... Ask your colleagues if they require assistance, with any roles (we know you would not do this o) ........ Just lie .......🤣😛😜

Thanks oga mi. How best can I answer the tell us about yourself question. Which should be prioritise between feeding and toilet?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:29am On May 29, 2023
stephoye:

Thanks oga mi. How best can I answer the tell us about yourself question. Which should be prioritise between feeding and toilet?

You have not started feeding, so you could either push call bell and/or call another colleague, to render assistance........

Tell them about yourself, been a team player, willingness to learn.......

Send me a WA message, I have a short video that might help you.......

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by amanze54: 10:42am On May 29, 2023
@ The guy oppressed by his wife. I am just being curious, I have calculated your net from your 49K salary, which means you are taking home 3k every month. This is close to the take home of me and my wife together and we still have good saving at the end of the month .

Abeg how are guys getting this 49k salary jobs. most of the jobs prevalent here are 25k to 30k gross.

In fact when I saw your 49k, I thought you are a king earner, until I keep seeing advices here encouraging you to look for better jobs,, haba,, better job, when some us are just roaming between 22k and 28k.

Any way celebrate your 49k and bear with your wife.

16 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Evagreenfields: 10:48am On May 29, 2023
I believe so.

Someone I know went 3 months after appointment date and was attended to.

opeoyek:
Hi all

I have an appointment for passport renewal in a couple of weeks but I won't be able to attend the appointment. Can I go the day after?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Gemma11: 11:01am On May 29, 2023
Goke7:
The UK can tighten its laws in whatever they like but to demonise people using the education route to migrate is a joke. All over the world, people use the education route to migrate especially if they are highly skilled. If the Uk wants to be sincere, they should give us the data of dependents that now have high-skill jobs and it will be shocking what the data will reveal.

The conservatives are desperate to remain in power and I don't have a problem with that but to continue to profile Nigerians deliberately is hypocritical, yes our people are foolish but for the sake of many hardworking Nigerians especially the highly skilled ones, we don't deserve all these insults.

I don't believe Nigerians has been targeted as the manifesto clearly stated "International" students. Nigerians are clearly triggered because we are honest a good majority of students are not highly skilled.

Yes there are many brilliant intelligent bright stars from Nigeria in the UK.

However, most of them are solo, aged around 20-30 and are ready to explore what life has to offer. However those packing up shop in Nigeria, selling houses and looking to immigrate to the UK when they are already close to 40 with their entire families are not genuine students. There is no way such people who have already lived a life, embark on a serious course of study worthy of professional employment..1.age is not on their side and they will be competing with younger proactive graduates who are ready to take on the world and 2. Before they use time to gain experience, they will be close to retirement age...lets be honest.

Such people should just apply for standard work visas where they may be allowed to bring family and stop using the student visa as a ploy to enter in UK...or just stay in Nigeria and make lemonade out of lemons.

This new policy will attract the best, the brightest intelligent academic students from Nigeria. As mentioned, there are many of these genuine Nigerian students here who come in with real proof of funds so that they do not spend time worrying about only 20 hours a week work and more time being a full time student. These are the Nigerians we should be highlighting, encouraging and supporting and not the ones who we all know are taking the p.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Gemma11: 11:48am On May 29, 2023
Zahra29:

Exactly 💯

Undergraduates are not allowed dependents and they study for 3-4 years. They make up more than half of the overseas student population and pay tens of thousands of pounds over the duration of their course, so why is no one advocating for them to be able to bring in dependents if they wish to?I had some mature students (as they were called) on my degree course who had families, so it's not only postgrads that have families.

Students are still very welcome, all the govt is saying is that they do not have the resources to accommodate the hundreds of thousands of dependents that are now coming along.

The policy is strategically aimed at those who come in for a 1 year Masters course. The Master's option is the route that is being abused most as universities allow payments in installments..so very easy for some to pay part of the course and then come in to the UK to work to pay off the rest or simply pay to switch their visas.

Undergraduates will not be impacted because most times that are aged between 19-25 and are single with no dependents. As mentioned above most of these undergraduates come in as genuine students, real proof of funds with their fees already paid. I see plenty of these Nigerian students in Central London at University of London, Birkbeck College which is near my gym and office

As I said lets encourage the genuine students and not some of these 40-50 year old papas and mamas with full families who are giving Nigerians a bad name by using student visas for "Masters' to enter the Uk when their intentions are not genuine.

The work visa is there for those types to use but because most have no skill and unable to acquire such. However they prefer to use the student visa route and then complain about not having enough hours to pay for their course and make a living because the "UK is not good". or the "UK is bad" or "They used us" ..when they know good and well that not only could they not find work in Nigeria because of the same lack of employable skills and they also used ojoro to show fake proof of funds in their account to get the student visa.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Gemma11: 12:04pm On May 29, 2023
samsmokey:

UK govt cannot have their cake and eat it. Students coming in pay fees, they pay IHS, [b]they have no recourse to public funds. [/b]They inject so much hard cash into the system at once. What is the government and their systems doing with all that funds?
All that money should have been invested into improving all these services you talked about. Nothing like that was done, so you can't blame legal immigrants for the problems.
Let them change the rules like they did pre-PBS, Nigerians will switch to other locations, the UK will still be worse off at the end of the day.

No recourse to public funds has become a bit of a misnomer, when Students are allowed to bring in 4-5 dependents including school age children.

As education is free for all children regardless of immigration status, the UK government spends at least £5500 per child in school..the child will have access to free books, sports facilities and other amenities. Technically, these are public funds which International students use.
International Students also do not pay income or council tax and their partners pay no council tax either but they are entitled to the services that council tax pays for such as bin collection, street lighting, roads sweeping etc.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Chinlov: 12:14pm On May 29, 2023
All these assistant Suellas... NRPF is a misnomer because children of international students go to school free... ok o

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Gemma11: 12:17pm On May 29, 2023
Solumtoya:

I have been avoiding this conversation but...

The nursery, schools, NHS, etc. are funded by the Tax paid by workers (dependents, citizens, etc) so it's not necessarily a free meal. These guys are working really hard and paying their Taxes legally.

It depends..Dependents don't pay council tax

Income tax is dependent on how much you earn.

Someone earning £25k a year is only going to pay around £4500 in income tax and National Insurance. £4500 is not enough to cover the place of a primiary school child so an sponsor /dependent with school aged children who has only been in the country for a year shouldn't be so loud with "I paid for this" because they haven't really been here long enough to make a significant contribution.

My thing is most are acting like they are actualling physically bringing money into the country when they aren't. They are working in the UK and the money they earn, they use to pay taxes which is a legal obligation.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Chrys27: 12:19pm On May 29, 2023
In that situation, given that every other person that could help is busy and they are all far away, you have to access the situation and prioritize which comes first. From the two situations, feeding a patient is not an emergency but someone who is desperate for the toilet is more of an emergency. So you have to explain to the patient that needs feeding that you need to help someone with something and that you will be quick about it after which, you wil come back to feed him. You will also clear the food from the table out of the patient's reach so that he will not feed himself and risk choking. After you have done that, you proceed to assist the patient that needs the toilet first.
[quote author=stephoye post=123438415][/quote]

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 12:22pm On May 29, 2023
Chinlov:
All these assistant Suellas... NRPF is a misnomer because children of international students go to school free... ok o

And here they are with the ad-hominem.

No ability to make logical points so they resort to name calling and disparagement as usual.

Typical of the sort of nonsense victimhood pity party tropes we've been seeing here.

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by opeoyek: 12:39pm On May 29, 2023
Okay, thanks
Evagreenfields:

I believe so.

Someone I know went 3 months after appointment date and was attended to.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by gergemam: 12:41pm On May 29, 2023
amanze54:
@ The guy oppressed by his wife. I am just being curious, I have calculated your net from your 49K salary, which means you are taking home 3k every month. This is close to the take home of me and my wife together and we still have good saving at the end of the month .

Abeg how are guys getting this 49k salary jobs. most of the jobs prevalent here are 25k to 30k gross.

In fact when I saw your 49k, I thought you are a king earner, until I keep seeing advices here encouraging you to look for better jobs,, haba,, better job, when some us are just roaming between 22k and 28k.

He's a Systems Engineer in Bodo Manchester, so he should be earning that range 😁

If you're an IT personnel with 3-5 years of experience you should be looking at 40K+ for a start depending on your location.

I was very close on sealing a £400/day job 8-5 within the first month I arrived in the UKay
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 12:59pm On May 29, 2023
amanze54:

I’m a skilled dependant in finance and I’m currently earning £75k plus bonus. If you target 28k jobs that’s what you’ll earn and If you target 75k jobs and above and you are skilled, na wetin you go get.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by nineville(m): 1:08pm On May 29, 2023
justwise:

My brother you will be fine, don't let this drag you down. If you are able to carry on supporting your family with little help from her go ahead, When you stopped asking her to support and carry on doing your best she will step in to help.

I pay all the bills in my household, my wife runs the kitchen and do most heavylifting shopping for foodstuff while i pay every other bills including her mobile contract. Sometimes i come home to notice that she has bought stuff for the house or kids i appreciate that but i will not complain if she did not. The reason why i choose to run my home that way is because...before i got married i was paying all those bills without any support and now we married i will keep doing what i have been doing.

Lastly... make an effort to get a sponsorship...you will be fine.

Whao & love this!
This is one of the most pleasant counselling I have ever read from Justwise oh, 😂.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lolli2pop: 1:18pm On May 29, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

I’m a skilled dependant in finance and I’m currently earning £75k plus bonus. If you target 28k jobs that’s what you’ll earn and If you target 75k jobs and above and you are skilled, na wetin you go get.

Osheeyyy salary reviewing moment has come… oya ohh everyone come out with your salary lool

@justwise @lexusgs
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 1:26pm On May 29, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

How many jobs are you working and are you contracting?

Let’s not mislead people…average UK wage is still less than £40k last time I checked.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 1:31pm On May 29, 2023
Gemma11:

The policy is strategically aimed at those who come in for a 1 year Masters course. The Master's option is the route that is being abused most as universities allow payments in installments..so very easy for some to pay part of the course and then come in to the UK to work to pay off the rest or simply pay to switch their visas.

Undergraduates will not be impacted because most times that are aged between 19-25 and are single with no dependents. As mentioned above most of these undergraduates come in as genuine students, real proof of funds with their fees already paid. I see plenty of these Nigerian students in Central London at University of London, Birkbeck College which is near my gym and office

As I said lets encourage the genuine students and not some of these 40-50 year old papas and mamas with full families who are giving Nigerians a bad name by using student visas for "Masters' to enter the Uk when their intentions are not genuine.

The work visa is there for those types to use but because most have no skill and unable to acquire such. However they prefer to use the student visa route and then complain about not having enough hours to pay for their course and make a living because the "UK is not good". or the "UK is bad" or "They used us" ..when they know good and well that not only could they not find work in Nigeria because of the same lack of employable skills and they also used ojoro to show fake proof of funds in their account to get the student visa.
Sorry to say but this is BS. This is quite over-generalisation and highly belittling of those in the age bracket mentioned. Many didn't get so called professional jobs in Naija not because they lacked the needed skills but didn't have connections.

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 1:32pm On May 29, 2023
Lolli2pop:

Osheeyyy salary reviewing moment has come… oya ohh everyone come out with your salary lool

@justwise @lexusgs

My own nah black market rate......... 😜🤣

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 1:35pm On May 29, 2023
Peerielass:

How many jobs are you working and are you contracting?

Let’s not mislead people…average UK wage is still less than £40k last time I checked.
I’m a full time staff with one job. I got 3 fantastic job offers and Nairalanders here advised me to stick to one job. I’m not sure how saying what I earn is me misleading people. Do you know me personally, or why do you think I’m lying? That you do not know high earners suddenly makes me a liar? I’m confused.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 1:41pm On May 29, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

That you do not know high earners suddenly makes me a liar? I’m confused.

That's not the point the person was making, as far as I can tell.

The point was about the average salary in the UK. Average, by definition, means that 50% of people earn more and 50% earn less. Since the average is £38,600 it means it is not quite as simple as 'if you look for 75k jobs that's what you'll find'.

What you said is about as logical as someone earning 150k coming to say you have a 75k job because you didn't look for a 150k job.

Not to detract from your point about people aiming high, but it's important to put things in proper context so as to give people realistic pathways not just motivational speaker balablu.

19 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thegamingorca(m): 1:41pm On May 29, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

I’m a full time staff with one job. I got 3 fantastic job offers and Nairalanders here advised me to stick to one job. I’m not sure how saying what I earn is me misleading people. Do you know me personally, or why do you think I’m lying? That you do not know high earners suddenly makes me a liar? I’m confused.

Bad belle ppl dey everywhere Bros no vex lol. How hilarious it is for him to be complaining that you are earning a farcry amount from what is considered average pay.

MC akonuche Sef talk am say "we be the sabotagers of our own ppl progress for UK lol. Small thing now you go hear say dem don report person go home office Sef lol"

I love that guy commentary grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thegamingorca(m): 1:43pm On May 29, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

Better no quote were your workplace dey before you hear say your employer call you for query grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 1:45pm On May 29, 2023
Chinlov:
Don't mind them. They should come and tell us how they got to the UK.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 1:48pm On May 29, 2023
Raalsalghul:

Most people underestimate the effect of time, chance, background and location in their success.

A Dr earning over 10x the hourly rate of a post- masters degree minimum wage earner does not mean they are working 10x as hard or 10x as smart. Same way a director earning hundreds of multiples of the average employees salary in a week is not more hardworking or brilliant to that degree.
That same dr would tell you there were folks back home equally as brilliant or more brilliant who are stuck on 40k naira jobs. Even among peers, the most successful are not commonly the most brilliant.

These form the bedrock of layered taxation and social systems we see in the west today.

Yes, responsibilities differ and should be rewarded accordingly but the overarching role of things you had no control of become more obvious the higher one rises in a chosen career path.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 1:52pm On May 29, 2023
koonbey:

That's not the point the person was making, as far as I can tell.

The point was about the average salary in the UK. Average, by definition, means that 50% of people earn more and 50% earn less. Since the average is £38,600 it means it is not quite as simple as 'if you look for 75k jobs that's what you'll find'.

What you said is about as logical as someone earning 150k coming to say you have a 75k job because you didn't look for a 150k job.

Not to detract from your point about people aiming high, but it's important to put things in proper context so as to give people realistic pathways not just motivational speaker balablu.
Whatever the point the person was making on average salaries is not really my prerogative, especially going as far as asking if I work multiple jobs. The person I quoted asked how people get higher salaries and I gave one advise of targeting a specific salary range if one is skilled which was what I did, I focused on a specific salary range and applied to only those. That is what worked for ME. If you think it’s not realistic then fine. No point to dey count teeth on top the matter.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 1:52pm On May 29, 2023
babajeje123:

Don't mind them. They should come and tell us how they got to the UK.

Some people were born in the UK

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 1:56pm On May 29, 2023
Thegamingorca:

Bad belle ppl dey everywhere Bros no vex lol. How hilarious it is for him to be complaining that you are earning a farcry amount from what is considered average pay.

MC akonuche Sef talk am say "we be the sabotagers of our own ppl progress for UK lol. Small thing now you go hear say dem don report person go home office Sef lol"

I love that guy commentary grin grin
Lol the attack mud me. Na my fault sha, I no think before I type.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 1:57pm On May 29, 2023
Zahra29:

Some people were born in the UK
So also their parents undecided

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 2:06pm On May 29, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

I didn’t say anything about you lying. When giving advice on here it’s best to give a balanced view so people can manage expectations.

It’s only the top 10% of the country that are in the earning bracket you described so making out that it’s easy to walk into a £75K job is not entirely a true representation of the reality we live in. And that was why I asked you the follow up questions not that I was doubting you.

Kudos to you though if you happen to be in that bracket however we don’t want people going to bed feeling bad for themselves or reflecting in their somber times that they are low achievers. I don’t think that’s the purpose of this thread.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 2:06pm On May 29, 2023
Gemma11:

Yes there are many brilliant intelligent bright stars from Nigeria in the UK.

However, most of them are solo, aged around 20-30 and are ready to explore what life has to offer. However those packing up shop in Nigeria, selling houses and looking to immigrate to the UK when they are already close to 40 with their entire families are not genuine students. There is no way such people who have already lived a life, embark on a serious course of study worthy of professional employment..1.age is not on their side and they will be competing with younger proactive graduates who are ready to take on the world and 2. Before they use time to gain experience, they will be close to retirement age...lets be honest.

Such people should just apply for standard work visas where they may be allowed to bring family and stop using the student visa as a ploy to enter in UK...or just stay in Nigeria and make lemonade out of lemons.

I find many of your statements those of self hate, ignorant and insulting.

Some facts-

1. Brilliance is not a function of age

2. Educational attainments e.g college, masters e.t.c is what we all engage in to better ourselves and encounter better opportunities.

3. Being a student is not a function of age or a function of the size of ones family

4. As a Nigerian, I don't see a hierarchy of my countrymen consisting of those who are 'suitable' for the UK and those less worthy and only fit to remain in Nigeria. If the UK is able to scrape our your young and bright doctors, then there is certainly room for masters students and their families.

5. The UK needs much of immigration more the immigrants need the UK.

6. By most studies released, the UK economy is a significant net beneficiary of the masters system as currently structured and even immigration as a whole.

Just like the pillaging of Africa over centuries, on this, the UK gets the better deal by a long stretch. I will not further that by creating a caste system and sorting which Nigerians are 'worthy' enough to be in the UK.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 2:24pm On May 29, 2023
Peerielass:

I didn’t say anything about you lying. When giving advice on here it’s best to give a balanced view so people can manage expectations.

It’s only the top 10% of the country that are in the earning bracket you described so making out that it’s easy to walk into a £75K job is not entirely a true representation of the reality we live in.

Kudos to you though if you happen to be in that bracket however we don’t want people going to bed feeling bad for themselves or reflecting in their somber times that they are low achievers. I don’t think that’s the purpose of this thread.

I was giving my view based on my personal experience, that’s why I put the caveat in there of being skilled. And you have to admit that you were in fact accusing me of lying when you asked if I work multiple jobs and when you mentioned that I’m misleading people.

I agree with your take of people not feeling bad for themselves, my intention was not to undermine anyone’s hard work or make them feel like they are doing something wrong. In fact, the advise on Nairaland made wifey and I to Jasi, na person here even do my CV for me. It was just to let the poster know that those salaries are out there if they look. At the end of it all, every salary earned in dignity is good money.

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (536) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.