Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,922 members, 7,835,080 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:24 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (495318 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (560) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 9:56pm On May 29, 2023
Solumtoya:

£75k is neat! Not sure why some folks keep talking about dependants like they all pay little/no tax and enjoy "free" children school and medicals.
Thanks boss. I just laugh when I see those posts.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 12:56am On May 30, 2023
Mroriginal2022:
It’s actually sad some people do not believe your £75k salary. UK wages are actually very very low and funny that same £75k is some entry level pay equivalent in larger economies like the USA.
I would have to be a mad man to come and lie on a faceless forum so whether they believe or not, it does not change what drops in my account every 25th so them go dey alright.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by brine(m): 1:17am On May 30, 2023
Teedol:
Na wah for these orisrisi salaries pple are brandishing anyhow. Average take home in the UK is £3k and that's the truth, where I work presently I earn more than my ogas becos I add more weekend hrs, and all these guys own new cars and houses, don't let anybody fool you with fake salaries. Go and check Band 7 NHS take home.

Not everyone works with the NHS. Think outside the box!

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 6:58am On May 30, 2023
Teedol:
Na wah for these orisrisi salaries pple are brandishing anyhow. Average take home in the UK is £3k and that's the truth, where I work presently I earn more than my ogas becos I add more weekend hrs, and all these guys own new cars and houses, don't let anybody fool you with fake salaries. Go and check Band 7 NHS take home.

You better mingle and listen to how much some people dey make.. Cos you don't make it doesn't mean others aren't killing it in their field

Came across a DevOps role yesterday and my friend told me he will be interviewing for something similar (he came in last month btw and he is looking to get 2 remote Tech roles). There are women in this same UK who do two remote Project Management roles, none pays less than £500/day

E say NHS cheesy

Just dey play, you hear me? Dey play grin

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 6:59am On May 30, 2023
brine:

Make e dey there make pant wear am well well

grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dupyshoo: 7:10am On May 30, 2023
It can be funny when people think NHS is the benchmark.

hustla:

You better mingle and listen to how much some people dey make.. Cos you don't make it doesn't mean others aren't killing it in their field

Came across a DevOps role yesterday and my friend told me he will be interviewing for something similar (he came in last month btw and he is looking to get 2 remote Tech roles). There are women in this same UK who do two remote Project Management roles, none pays less than £500/day

E say NHS cheesy

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 7:18am On May 30, 2023
dupyshoo:
It can be funny when people think NHS is the benchmark.

Wetin person no know, e pass am

wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Teedol: 7:26am On May 30, 2023
Am happy you are doing fine. All the same It's alright and OK to earn minimum wage, don't give people high blood pressure, if we all become dev ops and IT experts, who would teach your kids or take care of you when you are sick, it's OK to be a middle income earner, as long as you can provide for yourself and family, this same mentality is why Nigeria has refused to develop everybody wants to earn the highest hence lots of corruption in the land. Be OK and contented with what you've got, millions have less.

brine:

17 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Newbie123: 7:39am On May 30, 2023
Hi guys

Me again o.

Please I'm trying to apply for a CC but the application form doesn't have a space to input overseas address. Barclays card to be precise.

Any way around this please?

Also, is it advisable to
1) check eligibility first? My CS is 968
2) just put that I've lived in my current address for 2 years as against 9 months
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 7:50am On May 30, 2023
Newbie123:
Hi guys

Me again o.

Please I'm trying to apply for a CC but the application form doesn't have a space to input overseas address. Barclays card to be precise.

Any way around this please?

Also, is it advisable to
1) check eligibility first? My CS is 968
2) just put that I've lived in my current address for 2 years as against 9 months

Which Barclaycard are you applying for? Is it the free Avios one? I would check if you are pre-approved first before applying.

BIB Barclays run a hard check for credit card applications. They would easily see you have no credit record prior to 9 months.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hyzich(m): 8:38am On May 30, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

Haven’t worked a day in Investment banking. Started in accounting with an FMCG coy, moved to oil and gas and then did a stint with a crypto company before our japa journey. Got ACA years ago. Funny story, I met a lad on a train and we got talking, nice Jamaican lad, He’s a finance business partner and he made me realise that such a role exists. He also advised me to speak to an accounting agency. I didn’t bother with the latter and just reworked my CV and applied aggressively. Your salary is quite good and you are on the right track. I would be lying if I said that I got any special certifications.

Thanks for sharing this.. it makes alota sense.

Just for confirmation, is your ACA ican or ICAEW? My boss wants me to convert my ICAN to ICAEW or CIMA. Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hyzich(m): 8:43am On May 30, 2023
hustla:

E say NHS cheesy

As in, make dem dey play.. is just like saying civil service salary is the benchmark in Naija.. I met a guy who used to work with JP Morgan, omo when the guy told me his bonus I shocked, his salary is on another level.. The fact is that we need all these to motivate ourselves and see beyond our current status.
Even TFL pays better than NHS sef

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Akorkor(f): 9:19am On May 30, 2023
hustla:

E say NHS cheesy

I am wondering why people are taking P over someone salary. Yes, many people collect more than this and some collect lesser than this. This does not indicate that they have financial sense than you, so with any salary you receive, most important thing is your financial discipline. I believe that if you cant survive with little, you cant survive with more.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by samsmokey: 9:57am On May 30, 2023
Teedol:
Am happy you are doing fine. All the same It's alright and OK to earn minimum wage, don't give people high blood pressure, if we all become dev ops and IT experts, who would teach your kids or take care of you when you are sick, it's OK to be a middle income earner, as long as you can provide for yourself and family, this same mentality is why Nigeria has refused to develop everybody wants to earn the highest hence lots of corruption in the land. Be OK and contented with what you've got, millions have less.

You don dey twist the matter. What you said was implying that OP was lying. Nobody is saying don't be content with whatever you earn.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by samsmokey: 9:58am On May 30, 2023
Pogracious:

Thank you,am having issues with some of my deployment and I just need someone that can relate.can I pm you pls.
Sorry been away for a few days. You can PM me if you haven't resolved the issues yet.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 10:16am On May 30, 2023
hyzich:

As in, make dem dey play.. is just like saying civil service salary is the benchmark in Naija.. I met a guy who used to work with JP Morgan, omo when the guy told me his bonus I shocked, his salary is on another level.. The fact is that we need all these to motivate ourselves and see beyond our current status.
Even TFL pays better than NHS sef

Right smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 10:16am On May 30, 2023
Akorkor:

I am wondering why people are taking P over someone salary. Yes, many people collect more than this and some collect lesser than this. This does not indicate that they have financial sense than you, so with any salary you receive, most important thing is your financial discipline. I believe that if you cant survive with little, you cant survive with more.

You don carry the talk go another dimension cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Akorkor(f): 10:21am On May 30, 2023
Saw this in one of the Africa Group I am and thought of sharing here.

Good evening guys,
This is an advise to all Nigerians here in UK be careful of what you say in public in mean what you discuss with your fellow Nigerian in public.
I was in a train going to new castle and beside me was a British young man and behind me was two Nigerian guys discussing about visa and sponsorship. They were actually talking with pidgin English. I was on my headphone as usual with no music on so I could hear everything but people will think I’m listening to music.
The next three paragraphs gave me the shock of my life.

As this two guys were talking my eyes saw something I couldn’t imagine.
THE BRITISH MAN PLACED HIS PHONE ON RECORD. I couldn’t believe my eyes. I tried to signal the two guys to stop talking but they were adamant I even went as far as saying this out loud ( UNA GO JUST DEY TALK NONSENSE) just to distract the guys but NO. They kept talking.

Just after the two boys highlighted at Gateshead, the British man tapped me so I removed my headphone pretending I didn’t hear when he said excuse me until he tapped me. The man asked me. PLEASE WHAT IS THE MEANING OF “UK THINK SAY I COME HERE COME READ? NA MONEY I COME FIND” this words were from those guy’s conversations. I knew because I listened.
So I answered and said to him. “SIR IT MEANS THAT “MY CURRENT FOCUS NOW IN UK IS TO READ AND NOT TO FIND MONEY” The man said OKAY. We both highlighted at monument and went our separate ways.

Few hours later I stepped into Mc Donald’s to buy chips and chicken only to see this man in Mc Donald’s. He was the Manager of that branch.
Imagine if I had explained the full meaning of what those guys said. Who know what would have been the faith of those Nigerians working in that place expecting a sponsorship from Mc Donald’s.

Again I say to you all be wise and be careful what you say outside the comfort of your room. They might not look at you but their phones might capture it and when they make enquiries you will be surprised.

Once again mind what you say in public.
#copied.

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Akorkor(f): 10:21am On May 30, 2023
hustla:

You don carry the talk go another dimension cheesy

grin cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by humblemoi: 10:32am On May 30, 2023
Please who can assist me with the correct link to apply for schengen visa to Greece. Lots of links online and its getting really confused.

I don't mind spending time looking for availability for appointment but I need the correct link to begin with.

Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Akorkor(f): 10:45am On May 30, 2023
humblemoi:
Please who can assist me with the correct link to apply for schengen visa to Greece. Lots of links online and its getting really confused.

I don't mind spending time looking for availability for appointment but I need the correct link to begin with.

Thanks.

for email visa schedule appointment: info.ukgr@gvc24assist.eu / london.gr@gvc24assist.eu

For visa application: https://www.gvcworld.eu/

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 10:51am On May 30, 2023
humblemoi:

Thanks.

This is the Greece Embassy website, there’s a section for visas on the right hand side.

https://www.mfa.gr/uk/en/the-embassy/sections/consular-office.html

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by igbsam(m): 10:55am On May 30, 2023
Una sha like quarrel pass fight for this forum sha.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 11:14am On May 30, 2023
Solumtoya:

£75k is neat! Not sure why some folks keep talking about dependants like they all pay little/no tax and enjoy "free" children school and medicals.

It's not a zero sum game. You have to admit that there are a lot of dependents that fall into the bolded category and or not "highly skilled" (quoted) and using the dependent route just to "enter" the UK.

Just one example below copied from a post on Nairaland. There are/have been several others like this.

I am single and planning to move to the UK by September, and someone close is asking if she could go with me as a dependant (ready to pay), cos her certificate HND (lower credit) could not get her admission.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Newbie123: 11:41am On May 30, 2023
Peerielass:

Which Barclaycard are you applying for? Is it the free Avios one? I would check if you are pre-approved first before applying.

BIB Barclays run a hard check for credit card applications. They would easily see you have no credit record prior to 9 months.

No platinum. Any idea on how to go about the address history
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 12:10pm On May 30, 2023
Akorkor:
Saw this in one of the Africa Group I am and thought of sharing here.

I tried to signal the two guys to stop talking but they were adamant I even went as far as saying this out loud ( UNA GO JUST DEY TALK NONSENSE) just to distract the guys but NO. They kept talking.

#copied.

Please take this feedback to the group.

Next time, rather than going through the corners, tap the guys and say to them straight up "bros mind your mouth, be like say person dey record una conversation "

The reason for this is too long to type. But if you put yourself in their shoes, you will find out that you would prefer the person tells you straight up than continuing to use signals you don't understand.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by brine(m): 12:14pm On May 30, 2023
Teedol:

Excuse me sir/ma but it appears you quoted the wrong person. I didn't say I was earning that amount; My only comment was the NHS part and YES, not everyone works with the NHS and it's unrealistic to use that as a yardstick for everyone. I do not earn up to that amount monthly from my 9 to 5(If that helps with the high blood pressure) BUT I'm not limited to my monthly pay.

Cheers.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Akorkor(f): 12:18pm On May 30, 2023
Viruses:

Please take this feedback to the group.

Next time, rather than going through the corners, tap the guys and say to them straight up "bros mind your mouth, be like say person dey record una conversation "

The reason for this is too long to type. But if you put yourself in their shoes, you will find out that you would prefer the person tells you straight up than continuing to use signals you don't understand.

lol. You no your country people. If you pick one or two lesson from this, good. If not, no time for feedback from me. I just thought to share. If no lesson is learned then its up to readers. Ire o

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by nineville(m): 12:24pm On May 30, 2023
Hi Seniors,

to be eligible to work in UK Public Civil Service, must one be a British citizen or hold dual British nationality?
I want to know if Nationals of Commonwealth countries are ACTUALLY employed in the civil service.
I am not disregarding their Civil Service recruitment nationality rules, but sometimes these criteria could be mere formality without any significant sincerity.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dupyshoo: 12:33pm On May 30, 2023
Only limited civil service roles require British Citizenships. Most roles roles don't and accept commonwealth citizens.
nineville:
Hi Seniors, to be eligible to work in UK Public Civil Service, must one be a British citizen or hold dual British nationality?
I want to know if immigrants can put in applications.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by nineville(m): 12:36pm On May 30, 2023
dupyshoo:
Only limited civil service roles require British Citizenships. Most roles roles don't and accept commonwealth citizens.

Thanks, Dupyshoo for your prompt response.

Please, others kindly shed more light on this. thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 12:45pm On May 30, 2023
nineville:

Thanks, Dupyshoo for your prompt response.

Please, others kindly shed more light on this. thanks

The person has said it all.

There’s nothing like formality.

I have a couple of friends working in the civil service and they are people who came in as students when I did as well so neither citizens nor settled yet.

Apply for anything you see that’s open and you qualify for. No need screening yourself out ab initio.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (560) (Reply)

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions.

Viewing this topic: Tstone1(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.