Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,944 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:05 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (463821 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (536) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:28pm On May 29, 2023
babajeje123:

So also their parents undecided

It's besides the point, but yes, some people's parents were also born in the UK.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 2:34pm On May 29, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

And you have to admit that you were in fact accusing me of lying when you asked if I work multiple jobs and when you mentioned that I’m misleading people

I agree with your take of people not feeling bad for themselves, my intention was not to undermine anyone’s hard work or make them feel like they are doing something wrong. In fact, the advise on Nairaland made wifey and I to Jasi, na person here even do my CV for me. It was just to let the poster know that those salaries are out there if they look. At the end of it all, every salary earned in dignity is good money.

Nope I disagree with the bolded. I wasn’t doubting you but was trying to buttress that individual circumstances might differ eg you could be contracting on a generous day rate or doing two jobs.

For the record, there’s nothing wrong with working multiple jobs as long as the hours don’t conflict and the said 2nd job does not amount to a conflict of interest with your current employer. Also people should remember to follow their employers disclosure requirement.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 2:35pm On May 29, 2023
Zahra29:

It's besides the point, but yes, some people's parents were also born in the UK.
Las Las, everyone was a migrant at a point. Even the royal family.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by GraciousWords: 2:39pm On May 29, 2023
jedisco:

The higher one rises in a chosen field the more apparent it becomes to that person (if they're honest) that their success is not simply down to brilliance or hardwork. This holds true for any field or profession.

Raalsalghul:

Most people underestimate the effect of time, chance, background and location in their success.

💯

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:40pm On May 29, 2023
babajeje123:

Las Las, everyone was a migrant at a point. Even the royal family.

But that's never been the point.

The point of debate was the masters student/dependent route being misused.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 2:46pm On May 29, 2023
Just stumbled upon this.

https://www.tes.com/magazine/news/general/international-teachers-offered-thousands-move-england

If not that masters students have been bootstrapped into applying for care jobs as a way to remain, I expected something similar with care roles following Brexit and emigration of many eastern Europeans. How a sector where the nation was appealing for folks to come and work has turned out to be one where folks pay 15k for masters and another 5-10k still baffles me.

The UK does not create an age barrier for doctors, nurses, care workers, students, teachers e.t.c it's looking to attract. Still wonder why some have taken it upon themselves to create a hierarchy of postgraduate students based on their age and marital status.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 2:46pm On May 29, 2023
Zahra29:

But that's never been the point.

The point of debate was the masters student/dependent route being misused.
And the point I'm making is that he who lives in a glass house shouldn't throw a stone.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by amanze54: 2:46pm On May 29, 2023
@ the poster with 75k gross, please I don't want to calculate your take home. No need to put myself under pressure.

But men are really feeling this UK.

Really all men are not equal

Also to those complaining about the 40 - 50 years Naija people coming through school.
My brother forget it, with what is happening in Nigeria, 70 year old men are still on the way via school. In fact God save UK to twerk the policy. Is like most you have not been to Nigeria for long. It is getting crazy every day there, everyone wants to give up everything to be here. The only thing restraining most is the challenge of form A from bank, who has the money to pay via black market ?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Gemma11: 2:48pm On May 29, 2023
jedisco:

I find many of your statements those of self hate, ignorant and insulting.

Some facts-

1. Brilliance is not a function of age

2. Educational attainments e.g college, masters e.t.c is what we all engage in to better ourselves and encounter better opportunities.

3. Being a student is not a function of age or a function of the size of ones family

4. As a Nigerian, I don't see a hierarchy of my countrymen consisting of those who are 'suitable' for the UK and those less suitable and fit to remain in Nigeria. If the UK is able to scrape our your young and bright doctors, then there is certainly room for masters students and their families.

5. The UK needs much of immigration more the immigrants need the UK.

6. By most studies released, the UK economy is a significant bet beneficiary of the masters system as currently structured and even immigration as a whole.

Just like the pillaging of Africa over centuries, on this, the UK gets the better deal by a long stretch. I will not further that by creating a caste system and sorting which Nigerians are 'worthy' enough to be in the UK.

1. Never said it was. I just used 'brilliance' as a descriptor of many young Nigerian students in the UK of which there are.

2. But realistically, a mature man or woman who has already lived a good proportion of this life deciding to sell everything to move to a different country on a student visa for a dubious master's degree on the chance of settling permanently is only setting themselves up for a fall and a life of complaining about how they were 'tricked' into coming.

3. Disagree. The younger brain is more adaptable to learning. Most traditional undergrad students are also aged 18-25 unmarried with no dependents..a reason why most universities only offer single dwellings for their students and not family homes. Masters degree students on average are aged about 30.

4. You are conflating issues. The discussion is about student visas and not any other immigration visa. If one chooses to immigrate then they should use the right visa to do so. Don't try to have a party in a bucket...in short don't into the UK on the restrictive student visa with 5 dependents, no funds and then complain when you are not allowed to work more than 20 hours a week to support said family.

5. Is that so? Then why the outcry over the ban on dependents for student visas? The Other visas are not impacted so why can't Nigerians just use the correct visa to enter the country with their dependents? The fact that people are crying over this and calling for the head of Emdee over what he said just shows who needs who.

6. No cast system here. I see no reason why the UK Government should risk the reputation of their educational establishments and world university rankings by just allowing all sorts of olodos to use the student visa route to enter the UK when it is clear that such people have another agenda.

As I said, there have seen many and are still many many brilliant intelligent Nigerian students regardless of background...fresh from Nigeria in studying places like Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Imperial etc doing great things getting distinctions and first class honours in worthwhile high value degress which will yield high paying jobs.

This is typical of the Nigerian student worthy of a UK student visa and it has always been the case since time immemorial.

This new influx of dodgy Nigerian students with their countless of dependents and who are clearly using the system as a back door are not the type I will ever support sorry.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hyzich(m): 3:05pm On May 29, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

I’m a skilled dependant in finance and I’m currently earning £75k plus bonus. If you target 28k jobs that’s what you’ll earn and If you target 75k jobs and above and you are skilled, na wetin you go get.

Boss, you must be in core finance like investment banking and Co. I'd appreciate if you can share more about your career background and also certifications you've got to help newbies like me. I'm also a finance professional and currently using my ICAN in uk with a pay of 44k and I believe I can earn more with right certifications and guidance.

P.S. this is my 5th month in UK tho.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hyzich(m): 3:07pm On May 29, 2023
Lolli2pop:

Osheeyyy salary reviewing moment has come… oya ohh everyone come out with your salary lool

@justwise @lexusgs

This is a faceless forum so why would he lie? Such things are good to motivate others to believing in aiming higher.. I've got friends that think they can not earn more than 35k.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Chinlov: 3:11pm On May 29, 2023
yes, these points could be articulated (eg children of international students going to school free, large family size , old age students, etc) and sent to Suella for integration into the new policy(ies). but as long as it is still legal and HO issues visa, 60 years old Nigerians will keep entering with their 7-10 children until January 2024.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 3:17pm On May 29, 2023
Lolli2pop:

Osheeyyy salary reviewing moment has come… oya ohh everyone come out with your salary lool

@justwise @lexusgs

No comment lol
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AirBay: 4:03pm On May 29, 2023
People been deceiving themselves...

Make I go smoke grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 4:07pm On May 29, 2023
nineville:

Whao & love this!
This is one of the most pleasant counselling I have ever read from Justwise oh, 😂.

Awww!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 4:12pm On May 29, 2023
Gemma11:

1. Never said it was. I just used 'brilliance' as a descriptor of many young Nigerian students in the UK of which there are.

2. But realistically, a mature man or woman who has already lived a good proportion of this life deciding to sell everything to move to a different country on a student visa for a dubious master's degree on the chance of settling permanently is only setting themselves up for a fall and a life of complaining about how they were 'tricked' into coming.

3. Disagree. The younger brain is more adaptable to learning. Most traditional undergrad students are also aged 18-25 unmarried with no dependents..a reason why most universities only offer single dwellings for their students and not family homes. Masters degree students on average are aged about 30.

4. You are conflating issues. The discussion is about student visas and not any other immigration visa. If one chooses to immigrate then they should use the right visa to do so. Don't try to have a party in a bucket...in short don't into the UK on the restrictive student visa with 5 dependents, no funds and then complain when you are not allowed to work more than 20 hours a week to support said family.

5. Is that so? Then why the outcry over the ban on dependents for student visas? The Other visas are not impacted so why can't Nigerians just use the correct visa to enter the country with their dependents? The fact that people are crying over this and calling for the head of Emdee over what he said just shows who needs who.

6. No cast system here. I see no reason why the UK Government should risk the reputation of their educational establishments and world university rankings by just allowing all sorts of olodos to use the student visa route to enter the UK when it is clear that such people have another agenda.

As I said, there have been many and are still many many brilliant intelligent Nigerian students regardless of background...fresh from Nigeria in studying places like Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Imperial etc doing great things getting distinctions and first class honours in worthwhile high value degress which will yield high paying jobs.

This is typical of the Nigerian student worth of a UK student visa and it has always been the case since time immemorial.

This new influx of dodgy Nigerian students with their countless of dependents and who are clearly using the system as a back door are not the type I will ever support sorry.

Dubious, dodgy, olodos in just one post. Haba, on to say people come study for UK? Nobody deserves all these demeaning name calling, except you have personal vendetta against them or you can prove they are here illegally.

But then, I'm not surprised, because even Emily Carver earlier in the week couldn't but look stupid after being confronted with facts. In her attempt to defend the policy, she had said on national TV that international are coming with their "grannies".

Even on these forum, I've seen someone said they're coming with their entire village. Really?

What comments like yours and those other ones show is that many people only read headlines and are too sentimental.

If I may remind you, no international student has stayed beyond their studies without the government's approval. No international student can have a Visa without the government issuing CAS to them. And same goes for their dependents.

So, if you think their degrees are dubious, they're olodos, and are dodgy and migrating through backdoor, perhaps your anger should be directed to the govt who implemented those Visa rules, accredited those courses and gave continuous stay to foreign students and their dependents after the completion of their studies.

13 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 4:20pm On May 29, 2023
Chinlov:
yes, these points could be articulated (eg children of international students going to school free, large family size , old age students, etc) and sent to Suella for integration into the new policy(ies). but as long as it is still legal and HO issues visa, 60 years old Nigerians will keep entering with their 7-10 children until January 2024.

And in so doing have shut the door against genuine masters students (from other countries as well) coming behind who will no longer be able to come to the UK with their spouse to study. That's what abusing the system leads to, but as long as people are in with their 10 children, they don't care what happens to others 🙄

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rinzylee(m): 4:23pm On May 29, 2023
amanze54:
@ the poster with 75k gross, please I don't want to calculate your take home. No need to put myself under pressure.

But men are really feeling this UK.

Really all men are not equal

Also to those complaining about the 40 - 50 years Naija people coming through school.
My brother forget it, with what is happening in Nigeria, 70 year old men are still on the way via school. In fact God save UK to twerk the policy. Is like most you have not been to Nigeria for long. It is getting crazy every day there, everyone wants to give up everything to be here. The only thing restraining most is the challenge of form A from bank, who has the money to pay via black market ?

twerk kwa ? How ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 4:25pm On May 29, 2023
rinzylee:

twerk kwa ? How ?

Typo, OP meant tweak smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rinzylee(m): 4:27pm On May 29, 2023
Use referral link and get rewarded on your first transfer - https://pay.oneafrica.io/referral?referralCode=Nf7xu8XNb2&platform=ANDROID&referrer=Arinzechukwu_Ebido

Rate is 947 today

And another one

I use NALA to send money home, along with 100,000 others. Join with code ARINZECHUKWU-460738 and we'll both get £10.00

https://join.iwantnala.com/ARINZECHUKWU-460738

£10 for just £50 transfer

Abeg make una support our hustle as we no get 75k job o

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AirBay: 4:28pm On May 29, 2023
Zahra29:

You better talk wetin dy your mind cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rinzylee(m): 4:54pm On May 29, 2023
Zahra29:

Oh true.... sorry OP.

Na hunger o...abeg help me subscribe nah

Use referral link and get rewarded on your first transfer - https://pay.oneafrica.io/referral?referralCode=Nf7xu8XNb2&platform=ANDROID&referrer=Arinzechukwu_Ebido

Rate is 943 today

And another one

I use NALA to send money home, along with 100,000 others. Join with code ARINZECHUKWU-460738 and we'll both get £10.00

https://join.iwantnala.com/ARINZECHUKWU-460738

£10 for just £50 transfer
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 5:53pm On May 29, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

I’m a skilled dependant in finance and I’m currently earning £75k plus bonus. If you target 28k jobs that’s what you’ll earn and If you target 75k jobs and above and you are skilled, na wetin you go get.

£75k is neat! Not sure why some folks keep talking about dependants like they all pay little/no tax and enjoy "free" children school and medicals.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lovelysofa: 6:04pm On May 29, 2023
Dupsyshoo Ticha Mamatukwas and anyone else that can help.

Please i desperately need your advice. This is off the back of the conversation on the thread below.

https://www.nairaland.com/4158866/living-uk-life-uk-immigrant/665

I got a letter today from my daughter's school that she won't be moving to P2 but she will be put in a "streaming" class which is P2/1 with the same p1 teachers that are currently teaching her. We are based in Scotland.

Saying that I'm shocked and disappointed is an understatement. I have attended all parents' meeting and there's been no concerns regarding her. She writes and speaks well despite being one of the youngest in her class (her class is a mix of 5 to 6 year olds) and she's in the younger range thanks to her birth month.

Please is there anything I can do to stop them from making her "repeat" a class? I have received her year report and it's full of praises and they've not flagged any concerns.

Can I push back? Should I withdraw her and take her to a fee paying school?

My daughter has been taking English kumon a month before she started primary school and I had plans to enroll for maths in p2.

I have another parents conference in the next 2 days and I intend to email the school and seriously object to the streaming arrangement. Please I need help and advice.

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Teedol: 7:58pm On May 29, 2023
Na wah for these orisrisi salaries pple are brandishing anyhow. Average take home in the UK is £3k and that's the truth, where I work presently I earn more than my ogas becos I add more weekend hrs, and all these guys own new cars and houses, don't let anybody fool you with fake salaries. Go and check Band 7 NHS take home.

AirBay:
People been deceiving themselves...

Make I go smoke grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Missposh: 8:03pm On May 29, 2023
Has anyone ever moved out of a house before and got refunded by British Gas having used top up gas and electricity cards? I don't think this is public fund but I just heard about this for the first time. Please how does it work?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Gemma11: 8:22pm On May 29, 2023
LionInZion:

Dubious, dodgy, olodos in just one post. Haba, on to say people come study for UK? Nobody deserves all these demeaning name calling, except you have personal vendetta against them or you can prove they are here illegally.

But then, I'm not surprised, because even Emily Carver earlier in the week couldn't but look stupid after being confronted with facts. In her attempt to defend the policy, she had said on national TV that international are coming with their "grannies".

Even on these forum, I've seen someone said they're coming with their entire village. Really?

What comments like yours and those other ones show is that many people only read headlines and are too sentimental.

If I may remind you, no international student has stayed beyond their studies without the government's approval. No international student can have a Visa without the government issuing CAS to them. And same goes for their dependents.

So, if you think their degrees are dubious, they're olodos, and are dodgy and migrating through backdoor, perhaps your anger should be directed to the govt who implemented those Visa rules, accredited those courses and gave continuous stay to foreign students and their dependents after the completion of their studies.

Well clearly, the govt is doing something about it. You and ur Ilk are the ones crying about the change in policy. I have explained why I see nothing wrong with it. I don’t understand why genuine Nigerian students in the UK should be tarnished by those who have other agendas.

Olodos, dubious etc… didn’t call anyone these but if the shoe fits, wear it well.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 8:52pm On May 29, 2023
Gemma11:

Well clearly, the govt is doing something about it. You and ur Ilk are the ones crying about the change in policy. I have explained why I see nothing wrong with it. I don’t understand why genuine Nigerian students in the UK should be tarnished by those who have other agendas.

Olodos, dubious etc… didn’t call anyone these but if the shoe fits, wear it well.

I actually thought I was having a conversation with an adult smiley

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lolli2pop: 9:28pm On May 29, 2023
hyzich:

This is a faceless forum so why would he lie? Such things are good to motivate others to believing in aiming higher.. I've got friends that think they can not earn more than 35k.

I never said he is lying oh.. i wonder why he even thinks the other guy was insinuating that he is lying. No one has actually said anything to say he was telling lies but for some reasons he believes some people are calling him liars.

I think on this forum we should all do better in understanding People’s point of view and being able to extract the most important point from a message

Where I work i have leads earning 180k per year + stock options

75k is nothing no one has ever earned, what is there to doubt.. so I believe him 100%
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Mroriginal2022: 9:29pm On May 29, 2023
It’s actually sad some people do not believe your £75k salary. UK wages are actually very very low and funny that same £75k is some entry level pay equivalent in larger economies like the USA.
kwakudtraveller:

I’m a full time staff with one job. I got 3 fantastic job offers and Nairalanders here advised me to stick to one job. I’m not sure how saying what I earn is me misleading people. Do you know me personally, or why do you think I’m lying? That you do not know high earners suddenly makes me a liar? I’m confused.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 9:52pm On May 29, 2023
hyzich:

Boss, you must be in core finance like investment banking and Co. I'd appreciate if you can share more about your career background and also certifications you've got to help newbies like me. I'm also a finance professional and currently using my ICAN in uk with a pay of 44k and I believe I can earn more with right certifications and guidance.

P.S. this is my 5th month in UK tho.
Haven’t worked a day in Investment banking. Started in accounting with an FMCG coy, moved to oil and gas and then did a stint with a crypto company before our japa journey. Got ACA years ago. Funny story, I met a lad on a train and we got talking, nice Jamaican lad, He’s a finance business partner and he made me realise that such a role exists. He also advised me to speak to an accounting agency. I didn’t bother with the latter and just reworked my CV and applied aggressively. Your salary is quite good and you are on the right track. I would be lying if I said that I got any special certifications.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 9:54pm On May 29, 2023
Lolli2pop:

I never said he is lying oh.. i wonder why he even thinks the other guy was insinuating that he is lying. No one has actually said anything to say he was telling lies but for some reasons he believes some people are calling him liars.

I think on this forum we should all do better in under People’s point of view and being able to extract the most important point from a message

Where I work i have leads earning 180k per year + stock options

75k is nothing no one has ever earned, what is there to doubt.. so I believe him 100%

People tend to take offence easily here and it’s actually stifling and making discussions boring. I do wonder how some of us cope in the real world.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (536) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Schoolhike and 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.