Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,976 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (306) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (468501 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (303) (304) (305) (306) (307) (308) (309) ... (542) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 7:59pm On Nov 17, 2023
UniqueDext:
Please what's that agency that I can report my landlord to please..
My landlord just came to my house and remove my room door because am owning her rent which I told her she will receive within 3 days time. Now my room does not have any door and it wild open.
Rent was due on 15th & on same date she came in & change the outside door key that give access to our flat thus locking me out of the house and just today 17th she came again to remove my room door..

Please I want to know if there is any way I can sue her or claim damages before this woman is very wicked and does anything she wants,thinking that there's nothing I can do because am new to UK.
I have been in this house for over a year and I pay all my rent in full & on time but this one I ask her to give me sometime which was because my new roommate have not been paid yet from he's work & I don't have full money to pay for the new house rent as the rent was increased because we are two.

PLEASE HOUSE I NEED YOUR HELP.
SHES STILL HOLDING MY INITIAL £700 DEPOSIT

Don't move out and hold the rent, contact Citizens Advice they will help you.

Your landlady will regret her actions

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 8:24pm On Nov 17, 2023
UniqueDext:
My landlord just came to my house and remove my room door because am owning her rent which I told her she will receive within 3 days time. Now my room does not have any door and it wild open.
Rent was due on 15th & on same date she came in & change the outside door key that give access to our flat thus locking me out of the house and just today 17th she came again to remove my room door..

Please I want to know if there is any way I can sue her or claim damages before this woman is very wicked and does anything she wants,thinking that there's nothing I can do because am new to UK.
I have been in this house for over a year and I pay all my rent in full & on time but this one I ask her to give me sometime which was because my new roommate have not been paid yet from he's work & I don't have full money to pay for the new house rent as the rent was increased because we are two.

Your LL don buy market...... 😁

Did you legally rent this apartment.......

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 8:31pm On Nov 17, 2023
Lexusgs430:

I just like this your approach to the matter.

By legally you mean if contracts were exchanged or if they used words of mouth yeah?

Will it make difference if there is no binding contract (i.e not legal in this case)?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 8:45pm On Nov 17, 2023
UniqueDext:
Because i now have a new roommate which made her to increase the rent by £200 , i told her that she should give me sometime as am waiting for my new roommate to send hes money as i cant pay the full rent on my own

This your matter don get complications........

Did you seek LL permission, before you sublet .......

Did you sign any tenancy agreement........

Your starting point, head to your nearest police station and make a complaint..........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 8:46pm On Nov 17, 2023
Viruses:

I just like this your approach to the matter.

By legally you mean if contracts were exchanged or if they used words of mouth yeah?

Will it make difference if there is no binding contract (i.e not legal in this case)?

Your cannot fight legally, with an illegal foundation.......🤣

I don't do emotions .......🤣🤔

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by igbsam(m): 9:19pm On Nov 17, 2023
Dotman23:
Please for skilled worker child dependant application..Parent are already in uk. In order to show a pof of £315 held for 30days. Can one attach statement from just Mother or Father or it must be from both.

To be on a safer side. Attach both which is what i did. They requested for one month account statement, i sent 3 months. He got his brp last week.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 9:58pm On Nov 17, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Your starting point, head to your nearest police station and make a complaint..........
The fact that the LL increased rent becuase of the room mate means she accepted it even if he did not inform her at first. It looks like it's a shared apartment and the LL resides there too in which case there's no way she will not be aware.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by giselle237: 10:03pm On Nov 17, 2023
UniqueDext:
I was new in the UK then, so i dont know about the scheme.
Am thinking of calling the police once i come back from work.
Pls post your initial post on facebook on this group- The Tenants Voice Group. You would get lots of support and advice about the legitimate way you can get her. Also arrange your rent and pay.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rayralph(m): 10:36pm On Nov 17, 2023
UniqueDext:

Before you take any step,

Did you rent the flat legally ?

Do you have signed tenancy agreement ?

Did you inform the LL before taking in a room mate ?

Kindly ensure you’ve followed all due process prior before renting the apartment, so you don’t burn your hands
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:55pm On Nov 17, 2023
dustydee:

The fact that the LL increased rent becuase of the room mate means she accepted it even if he did not inform her at first. It looks like it's a shared apartment and the LL resides there too in which case there's no way she will not be aware.

I was eventually heading to this point..... This matter be like onions, we must peel all the layers.......😁🤣
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:00pm On Nov 17, 2023
giselle237:

Pls post your initial post on facebook on this group- The Tenants Voice Group. You would get lots of support and advice about the legitimate way you can get her. Also arrange your rent and pay.

The moment LL transgressed, the rent payment is the least of LL problems........ This tenant would reside in that house for month's (rent free)......

Section 21, would not save the LL .........🤣

Let's first get the tenant, answer the little matter of tenancy legalities..........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 12:15am On Nov 18, 2023
bigtt76:
Good morning my people ....another question, please between a Band 6 NHS job and SEO civil service job, which would you prefer? Context - SEO pays more compared to the band 6 but its a fixed term employment (one year) ...might be renewable.

the decision should align with your personal and professional priorities, If financial gain and a broad range of experiences in a short term are more appealing, the SEO Civil Service job might be the better choice, if you prefer job stability and a career in healthcare, the Band 6 NHS position could be more suitable, consider also the work environment, team culture, and opportunities for future progression in each role.

Less job security in Civil service roles(cos it’s fixed term) but offer a broad range of experiences, which might be valuable for your future career moves,

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 12:41am On Nov 18, 2023
eniola1010:

My boss, m thinking of buying a reliable car of 4k to 4.5k
Which do you think is best and where can one buy from autotrader or fb market.

Plus is it better to go for the likes of toyota or hyundai
Or go for german like golf and the likes.

Cus have hrd too many stories of ppl saying toyota car might be cheap but repairs might be expensive cus the part has to be shipped from china or japan
And have heard ppl say german cars might be expensive but repair is cheap cus parts are in europe and not far from uk

What is ur take pls
I dont mind if others contribute too

P.S i am not a outdoor person i rarely drive, infact i hate driving, m buying the car to increase chances of getting job

The issue of car part being expensive might be true but I’m not convinced with the fact that one particular maker being expensive compare to another, the rule of thumb is that those mechanic still charges the same amount per hour irrespective of the car make, my mechanic do allow me to source parts online and he still charge almost same amount for the car, not much difference in my pay when I changed from mazda to Mercedes,

Most important is to buy a car that won’t be giving you much problems, start from the mot history of the car, age, mileage, reason for selling, how May previous users, how long mot was last done etc,

Come to talk of it, if not for the cost of repair that is way too expensive, we don’t normally think of all this back in Nigeria because the cost of repair is very cheap, repaired just a common mazda Alternator for 250£ (less than 30k before I left Nigeria (mistakenly put wrong fuel in the car also cost me around 120£ ) etc, wanted to get mot done cost me almost 1,200£ to fix the car ( car that still works fine, but must repair cos of mot), happy that the car is off road now self cos of accident, really cost me a lot then

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by julli789(f): 12:54am On Nov 18, 2023
Joy83:
Have you seen now?
yes thank you

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 1:10am On Nov 18, 2023
Schoolhike:

The issue of car part being expensive might be true but I’m not convinced with the fact that one particular maker being expensive compare to another, the rule of thumb is that those mechanic still charges the same amount per hour irrespective of the car make, my mechanic do allow me to source parts online and he still charge almost same amount for the car, not much difference in my pay when I changed from mazda to Mercedes,

Most important is to buy a car that won’t be giving you much problems, start from the mot history of the car, age, mileage, reason for selling, how May previous users, how long mot was last done etc,

Come to talk of it, if not for the cost of repair that is way too expensive, we don’t normally think of all this back in Nigeria because the cost of repair is very cheap, repaired just a common mazda Alternator for 250£ (less than 30k before I left Nigeria (mistakenly put wrong fuel in the car also cost me around 120£ ) etc, wanted to get mot done cost me almost 1,200£ to fix the car ( car that still works fine, but must repair cos of mot), happy that the car is off road now self cos of accident, really cost me a lot then

This question is not required....... What do you think a seller would tell you ........ An answer like, the car is starting to show me shege.........😁🤣

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by igbsam(m): 2:02am On Nov 18, 2023
UniqueDext:

See free money. No follow your LL exchange words o. Just dey thank God say u wan see better money now. Go citizens advice. But hope una sign contract
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by abuhusna1: 2:37am On Nov 18, 2023
UniqueDext:
I was new in the UK then, so i dont know about the scheme.

Am thinkingofcalling the police once i come back from work.
You can easily start from calling the police then they will escalate the issue to proper authority if need be
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thedon12: 3:13am On Nov 18, 2023
Is a lie, if you like use 5 years in Scotland, you can only pay home fees if you have a settled status which is indefinite stay. Stop misleading people.

Zahra29:

You're right, I forget sometimes that Scotland is a bit of an anomaly in some aspects.

For the rest of the UK though, permanent residence is required.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 6:26am On Nov 18, 2023
Lexusgs430:

It doesn’t matter if he legally rented the apartment, the LL actions are unlawful. She has no legal leg to stand on as it’s.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by starboychan: 6:34am On Nov 18, 2023
justwise:

It doesn’t matter if he legally rented the apartment, the LL actions are unlawful. She has no legal leg to stand on as it’s.

The fact that he has been paying rent for about a year is enough tbh . Verbally agreement is legal in this country. He friend went through similar situations in the hand of one Asian landlord , she didn’t have any assured contract but last last she got help and na the landlord lose eventually.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 6:48am On Nov 18, 2023
justwise:

It matters alot (infact, it's the spine of this matter).......

Without a legal contract, you cannot be deemed a tenant......

LL could claim she simply housed an unruly family member......

Without a contract, if the LL is wise..... She would get away with murder.......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 6:53am On Nov 18, 2023
starboychan:

The fact that he has been paying rent for about a year is enough tbh . Verbally agreement is legal in this country. He friend went through similar situations in the hand of one Asian landlord , she didn’t have any assured contract but last last she got help and na the landlord lose eventually.

If no contract is evident and LL is only accepting cash ......

How would deposit be paid into deposit scheme, without the legal framework.........

As I said, this matter be like onions..... If not peeled properly, tears would flow ........🤔🤣
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 6:59am On Nov 18, 2023
Lexusgs430:

It matters alot (infact, it's the spine of this matter).......

Without a legal contract, you cannot be deemed a tenant......

LL could claim she simply housed an unruly family member......

Without a contract, if the LL is wise..... She would get away with murder.......

Stop playing, house an unruly family for a year and keep collecting money from the family?

Did she go to the authorities to report this tenant? Did she serve him quit notice?

What lawful measures did she take to resolve this issue?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 7:00am On Nov 18, 2023
Lexusgs430:

If no contract is evident and LL is only accepting cash ......

How would deposit be paid into deposit scheme, without the legal framework.........

As I said, this matter be like onions..... If not peeled properly, tears would flow ........🤔🤣

Then she is in trouble
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 7:01am On Nov 18, 2023
starboychan:

Exactly!!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by UniqueDext: 7:28am On Nov 18, 2023
To answer your questios, i rented the house through flatshare where the landlord posted the room.

I called her through the contact available on flatshare , we discussed price, i then go ahead and made the payment to her account.
No contract was sign...
Details and proof are available on chart though.
rayralph:

Before you take any step,

Did you rent the flat legally ?

Do you have signed tenancy agreement ?

Did you inform the LL before taking in a room mate ?

Kindly ensure you’ve followed all due process prior before renting the apartment, so you don’t burn your hands
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by UniqueDext: 7:29am On Nov 18, 2023
Rented directly from Landlord through flatshare website
Lexusgs430:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by UniqueDext: 7:46am On Nov 18, 2023
I didn't seek her permission to sublet,

I knew that if we had to be two people in the room that i will have to pay higher price,

my friend moved in after i have already paid last month rent, due to the fact that he just arrived UK and my plan was on the next payment i will pay the new rent for both of us,
i discussed this with her last week before this issue started and we agreed that i will pay the increased rent for both of us,
The day i was supposed to make this payment was the day she came to the house and Change our house key (afternoon time) trying to lock me outside.

Less than 48hours after changing the key she came back and remove my room door, at the moment my room is open and no privacy for me.

Lexusgs430:

(1) (2) (3) ... (303) (304) (305) (306) (307) (308) (309) ... (542) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: deept(m), Mamatukwas and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.