Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,107 members, 7,828,896 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:47 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (309) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (485601 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (306) (307) (308) (309) (310) (311) (312) ... (553) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:38am On Nov 19, 2023
ukay2:

....the LL will learn a lesson the hard way if what the OP stated is as said...

She needs to be taught a lesson, she would never forget.......

OP received loads of leads already, tomorrow is monday ........😁

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ukay2: 10:41am On Nov 19, 2023
Lexusgs430:

If legal migrants could be dealt with in this manner........ Imagine the life of an illegal immigrant......

This was common practice with Nigerian LL, in the dark days (it was even council properties, they illegally sublet)...... If they lived in the house with tenants, baba wàhálà.....

They would restrict use of the boiler, heating, washing machine, guests etc etc etc ......

I repeat, RENT MONEY IS DEAD MONEY..... Would your mortgage provider, remove your door .......🤣

This will challenge the OP to start thinking of buying his house as soon as OP settles down quickly...rest of mind owning your own house while paying your mortgage cannot be quantified....
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:46am On Nov 19, 2023
ukay2:

This will challenge the OP to start thinking of buying his house as soon as OP settles down quickly...rest of mind owning your own house while paying your mortgage cannot be quantified....

Some people love paying their LL mortgage........ Because they love to, does not mean they should discourage others.........😁😜

RENT MONEY IS DEAD MONEY...... 💰💰💰💰
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by yolkman20: 1:30pm On Nov 19, 2023
McLove:

Hi Yolkman, are you still in Shrewsbury?

I left last weekend mate, I'm now in Manchester. Anyone around Manchester airport? Let's link up

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by yolkman20: 1:33pm On Nov 19, 2023
afoobiggy700:

What part of construction is this bro?

Sorry this is coming late but I do fit out and refurbishment of retail, commercial and residential buildings.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by yolkman20: 1:35pm On Nov 19, 2023
abuhusna1:

Did you pay more than 3600 in tax for that period?

I'm sure it'll be more than that. I pay 20% of my weekly earnings for 10months straight non stop. That's about 250-300 weekly if I'm correct.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Anbandaras: 3:47pm On Nov 19, 2023
Hello Fam,please who has handled letting agency asking them to pay for some repairs after moving out ?i need guidance .these guys want to finish me
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 4:46pm On Nov 19, 2023
You can take M365 Fundamentals on coursera, use Financial Aid to get it free.
Update87:
Checking the requirements for my course on indeed, I saw that Microsoft office (excel, word and power point) is a must for me.....like I need to be very versed in it

I need to start learning asap...pls can u guys give d best way to start learning online.

Maybe a YouTube channel or something.

Thank you

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ukliving: 5:14pm On Nov 19, 2023
Anbandaras:
Hello Fam,please who has handled letting agency asking them to pay for some repairs after moving out ?i need guidance .these guys want to finish me

The security deposit is supposed to take care of any damages.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 5:58pm On Nov 19, 2023
yolkman20:

I'm sure it'll be more than that. I pay 20% of my weekly earnings for 10months straight non stop. That's about 250-300 weekly if I'm correct.

Las las na office work we suppose dey cast for this forum. Where that 'Lebuke' guy, see your mate o 😟
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 5:59pm On Nov 19, 2023
Anbandaras:

I need this in advance too...my son don use writing finish my wall 😀

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 6:52pm On Nov 19, 2023
Someone should please advise on how to get cheap local flights, London to Newcastle especially.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by UniqueDext: 7:17pm On Nov 19, 2023
I have contacted Shelter and filled the application and everything..
Now waiting to hear from them.

Thank you so much
Ticha:

Okay few things here -
1. Contact Shelter - they're a better bet than CAB who most likely will refer you to Shelter. Shelter also has a very huge hard on for Landlords especially rogue ones
2. Do some background work yourself. Is the house a HMO? If 3 or more separate persons so you, your friend and one other person not directly related live in the house, it automatically makes it a HMO. Is that the case?
3. Is it a selective licensing area? You can easily find this from your council's website. If yes, your landlady needs to have a licence and have it displayed in the house, the house will need fire doors and a host of other things. If she doesn't have this, then she's in deep dodo. Each council also publishes a list of all HMO landlords in the area, you can search for it this way as well.
4. If it's not a selective licensing area, she still needs to meet the regulations for a HMO so again Shelter and the council.

By her behaviour, I am sure she's skirting the edges of the law in many ways. Keep every communication you have had with her via text, email, WhatsApp etc. Gather evidence to show she does not live there as she may claim you are lodgers and she lives there as well.

Unless your contract explicitly states that you are not allowed to have guests (that cannot be upheld anyway), you can totally have a guest which is what your friend was till money started changing hands for his stay. Once extra rent has been asked for, then your friend also has a tenancy there.

So you have a 2 pronged approach - use Shelter to your advantage and report to the council's housing department.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Flawlessheyi(m): 7:25pm On Nov 19, 2023
Please I need your advices on things to do, my wife just got to the UK few weeks ago, she was working in Bank sector in Nigeria, before can some recommend short courses or right steps to take for seamless career path in UK bank industry and where possibly I can get job adverts. She is on skilled-worker dependant visa. Your advices will be highly appreciated.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 7:45pm On Nov 19, 2023
phemmylink:

Let me give a gist. It's not quite easy to land a job in biomedical science here in UK if you are deviod of UK experience. I am on the register and I keep getting refused sometimes without reason when I apply for UK NHS jobs.

Add UKHSA to your list.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Anbandaras: 8:32pm On Nov 19, 2023
Ukliving:

The security deposit is supposed to take care of any damages.
There was no security deposit,they requested for a Guarantor
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ukliving: 9:20pm On Nov 19, 2023
Anbandaras:

There was no security deposit,they requested for a Guarantor

Did you sign anything that states you are responsible for repairs after moving out?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ukliving: 9:21pm On Nov 19, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 9:46pm On Nov 19, 2023
bigtt76:
What are the possible experiences one can get from civil service here? Any idea? I know that once one get a civil service experience, it improves ones chance more in other sectors especially with big consulting firms or isn't this the case?

I would love the NHS opportunity though but the way is lower than the civil service job and a bit far away from home which could disrupt many things and plans😩. I'm hoping that with the civil service job after it lapses, I could get a shot at the NHS on a higher band.

I appreciate all your thoughts on this.... Pls 🙌🏾🙏🏾

I understand your considerations regarding the civil service and the NHS. If sponsorship isn't an issue, I would indeed recommend the civil service route. The flexibility to switch departments or roles within the civil service is an advantage. There are often new roles advertised weekly, and internal mobility within departments is quite common, offering a variety of experiences and growth opportunities.

NHS also offers valuable experiences, especially in public health and administration, the pay scale can be a bit limiting compared to civil service roles, which Is one of the reason I don’t like NHS (although NHS Scotland pays more ), civil service jobs often provide more flexibility in terms of work arrangements, such as hybrid work options, which might not be as prevalent in NHS roles.

Regarding compensation, a role in the government that pays around £50k can be equivalent to nearly £69k in the private sector when you consider long-term benefits like employer pension contributions. The government's contribution to pensions is significantly higher than the average private sector contributions, which hover around 3-8%, compared to the government's 26-28%.

all in all, a civil service role not only offers a broad range of experiences that are highly valued in various sectors, including consulting, but also provides substantial long-term financial benefits and work flexibility, this could definitely enhance your career trajectory and provide you with a strong foundation to transition into higher roles, even within the NHS later on, if that aligns with your career aspirations.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by giselle237: 10:05pm On Nov 19, 2023
Anbandaras:
So what money are they layin claim to if no deposit
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:21pm On Nov 19, 2023
Anbandaras:

What sort of damages....

Are you responsible for the damages......

Are this damages or wear and tear......

Did you take pictures and videos, post and pre resumption/exit of property........

NB: If you don't engage them, your guarantor would be sued......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 11:14pm On Nov 19, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 11:21pm On Nov 19, 2023
giselle237:

So what money are they layin claim to if no deposit

They can sue for damages.

Even if he had a deposit, if the cost of the repairs exceed his deposit they can sue for the difference.

You can’t just rent someone’s house and damage things and then go on your merry way because the rental is over.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ralphlauren(m): 11:29pm On Nov 19, 2023
UniqueDext:
I have contacted Shelter and feel the application and everything..
Now waiting to hear from them.

Thank you so much

Have you followed Ticha's advice regarding reporting to the council and checking if your landlady has a HMO licence (if the property meets HMO criteria)?

You need to inform the council ASAP. if she has the audacity to remove your door, the next thing she might do is cut off electricity or hot water supply.

She's a rouge landlord and needs to be taught a serious lesson.

https://www.london.gov.uk/rogue-landlord-checker

https://www.london.gov.uk/programmes-strategies/housing-and-land/improving-private-rented-sector/report-rogue-landlord-or-agent

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 1:49am On Nov 20, 2023
Makes a whole lot of sense because na retirement, person de plan for now ....any experience garnered now, would be geared into switching to private sector consultancy cheesy. Thank you so much for this very insightful response, I appreciate it.

Schoolhike:

I understand your considerations regarding the civil service and the NHS. If sponsorship isn't an issue, I would indeed recommend the civil service route. The flexibility to switch departments or roles within the civil service is an advantage. There are often new roles advertised weekly, and internal mobility within departments is quite common, offering a variety of experiences and growth opportunities.

NHS also offers valuable experiences, especially in public health and administration, the pay scale can be a bit limiting compared to civil service roles, which Is one of the reason I don’t like NHS (although NHS Scotland pays more ), civil service jobs often provide more flexibility in terms of work arrangements, such as hybrid work options, which might not be as prevalent in NHS roles.

Regarding compensation, a role in the government that pays around £50k can be equivalent to nearly £69k in the private sector when you consider long-term benefits like employer pension contributions. The government's contribution to pensions is significantly higher than the average private sector contributions, which hover around 3-8%, compared to the government's 26-28%.

all in all, a civil service role not only offers a broad range of experiences that are highly valued in various sectors, including consulting, but also provides substantial long-term financial benefits and work flexibility, this could definitely enhance your career trajectory and provide you with a strong foundation to transition into higher roles, even within the NHS later on, if that aligns with your career aspirations.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by UniqueDext: 2:17am On Nov 20, 2023
Sent you a mail request now boss
santos247:
Is this Landlord an African?
I doubt any Britico person that knows the law will dare do this?
Tenancy Ombudsman will not take it lightly with her.
In fact, from what she has done, you can live in that house rent-free for 4 months.
What temerity !!!!. Please don't be scared. Just keep record of all conversations and stand your ground. YOu are not an illegal immigrant.

Form S8 has to be issued to eject a defaulting tenant from a house. The process alone take several weeks/month. With Her removing your Door, She doesnt have the mouth to even approach the court. Haaa... She will beg you before you pay the next rent.
Please if you need help to deal with this Nigerian woman, consult me. I get small energy for this kind thing. People who brought their oppresive nature from Nigeria and refused to be weaned off it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by UniqueDext: 2:40am On Nov 20, 2023
That was the website i used to make the reporting.

Am not able to check the HMO license as i dont know how to check that, i have tried through the council website but it's asking for details of the license which i dont have.
Ralphlauren:

Have you followed Ticha's advice regarding reporting to the council and checking if your landlady has a HMO licence (if the property meets HMO criteria)?

You need to inform the council ASAP. if she has the audacity to remove your door, the next thing she might do is cut off electricity or hot water supply.

https://www.london.gov.uk/programmes-strategies/housing-and-land/improving-private-rented-sector/report-rogue-landlord-or-agent

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ticha: 3:12am On Nov 20, 2023
UniqueDext:
That was the website i used to make the reporting.

Am not able to check the HMO license as i dont know how to check that, i have tried through the council website but it's asking for details of the license which i dont have.

What borough are you in? For example, you can find all licenced HMOs in Hounslow here - https://data.hounslow.gov.uk/dataset/register-of-licensed-hmos

All councils have to publish the data - it maybe some months out of date but you've been there a year, so she should be listed on her borough's register.

Also by removing your door, she's breached fire regulations and also made your room inhabitable - so take pictures, find the environmental health officer or pages for your borough and put in a report. She will most likely be given 48 hours to remedy it or enforcement action will be taken. It will also firmly put her on their radar for a couple of years. Again this information will be on your borough website - see Hounslow one - https://www.hounslow.gov.uk/report

If you have time, go to your council offices and speak to someone in person. Make sure to talk about feeling unsafe. What if a fire breaks out? - it is winter as well so there are health implications for not being able to keep warm.

Tenants have a lot of rights which are enforced but breaches have to be reported otherwise enforcement cannot happen! Do not be afraid and do not let her get away with it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 4:26am On Nov 20, 2023
rayralph:

It’s not “unnecessary”.

It’s an adjective.

To describe the ethnicity of the individual.

To give more context and reason why the lawsuit is being filed.

The heading is in order.

In order to think, you need to risk being offensive.

Would they have said white bank manager?? Yeye people
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Estroller: 5:22am On Nov 20, 2023
UniqueDext:

Ralphlauren:

Use the link in bold. The first line is the LL's name, you should have this since you said you've been paying your rent straight into her bank account. Next is your address then click the drop-down to pick your borough and search.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by giselle237: 6:59am On Nov 20, 2023
Goodenoch:

They can sue for damage.
Even if he had a deposit, if the cost of the repairs exceed his deposit they can sue for the difference.
You can’t just rent someone’s house and damage things and then go on your merry way because the rental is over.
Calm down. I have faced all and sundry and came out without paying a penny and that’s why I am asking him to know his own situation.
Both the one you did and did not do, agents/landlords would lie.
I don’t need scaremongering now. Please sir. Please
@anbandaras pls send me a msg. Thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ayofemidara: 10:42am On Nov 20, 2023
Hi people,I need an accommodation in Nottingham. Thank you

(1) (2) (3) ... (306) (307) (308) (309) (310) (311) (312) ... (553) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3

Viewing this topic: EJIOGBENIMI(m), eolme(f) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.