Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,423 members, 7,812,243 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:36 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (308) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (460176 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (305) (306) (307) (308) (309) (310) (311) ... (531) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jblesn(f): 5:41pm On Nov 18, 2023
broglie:
Good day everyone. Please I would like to get clarification on this. I have been in the UK for 5months now as the main applicant on a healthcare visa. I want to apply for my husband and children to join me in the UK. My questions are as follows;
1. Do I need to show proof of fund if maintenance was ticked for me in my COS? Bear in mind that I didn't provide POF when I did my application and I have been in the UK for five months.
2. If they will need POF will it be appropriate to use my husband's bank statement?

Your input will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Yes you need to show proof of fund if your COS is expired. You can check the date on the COS originally issued to you

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 5:52pm On Nov 18, 2023
100% . Poster please call the police.
Squatters stay in houses for months. Their doors are not taken off the hinges. The Landlady is crazy . This is NOT Nigeria.
Call the police.
justwise:

It doesn’t matter if he legally rented the apartment, the LL actions are unlawful. She has no legal leg to stand on as it’s.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by UniqueDext: 6:20pm On Nov 18, 2023
Nigerian
lavida001:

Is this landlord white?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by UniqueDext: 6:22pm On Nov 18, 2023
The police said i should call citizens advice as the case is civil matter.
missjekyll:
100% . Poster please call the police.
Squatters stay in houses for months. Their doors are not taken off the hinges. The Landlady is crazy . This is NOT Nigeria.
Call the police.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 7:08pm On Nov 18, 2023
This is why she did it. She knows the police more than we do. The police are hanging on by their fingernails. Even murders go unsolved nowadays.

So sorry you have to deal with this .is the house still habitable for you over the weekend?if not you may want to book a hotel and keep the receipt. Then call citizens advice on Monday. She must be taught a lesson. What a vile creature. She must have been an agbero at home. How did she even carry the door ? Tueh
UniqueDext:
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by UniqueDext: 7:23pm On Nov 18, 2023
She came with handyman who she paid to do the job for her.
missjekyll:
This is why she did it. She knows the police more than we do. The police are hanging on by their fingernails. Even murders go unsolved nowadays.

So sorry you have to deal with this .is the house still habitable for you over the weekend?if not you may want to book a hotel and keep the receipt. Then call citizens advice on Monday. She must be taught a lesson. What a vile creature. She must have been an agbero at home. How did she even carry the door ? Tueh
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by santos247(m): 7:45pm On Nov 18, 2023
Is this Landlord an African?
I doubt any Britico person that knows the law will dare do this?
Tenancy Ombudsman will not take it lightly with her.
In fact, from what she has done, you can live in that house rent-free for 4 months.
What temerity !!!!. Please don't be scared. Just keep record of all conversations and stand your ground. YOu are not an illegal immigrant.

UniqueDext:
Please what's that agency that I can report my landlord to please..
My landlord just came to my house and remove my room door because am owning her rent which I told her she will receive within 3 days time. Now my room does not have any door and it wild open.
Rent was due on 15th & on same date she came in & change the outside door key that give access to our flat thus locking me out of the house and just today 17th she came again to remove my room door..

Please I want to know if there is any way I can sue her or claim damages before this woman is very wicked and does anything she wants,thinking that there's nothing I can do because am new to UK.
I have been in this house for over a year and I pay all my rent in full & on time but this one I ask her to give me sometime which was because my new roommate have not been paid yet from he's work & I don't have full money to pay for the new house rent as the rent was increased because we are two.

PLEASE HOUSE I NEED YOUR HELP.
SHES STILL HOLDING MY INITIAL £700 DEPOSIT

Form S8 has to be issued to eject a defaulting tenant from a house. The process alone take several weeks/month. With Her removing your Door, She doesnt have the mouth to even approach the court. Haaa... She will beg you before you pay the next rent.
Please if you need help to deal with this Nigerian woman, consult me. I get small energy for this kind thing. People who brought their oppresive nature from Nigeria and refused to be weaned off it.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Preshyi: 8:11pm On Nov 18, 2023
Please how can someone living with family show proof our address? A student who lives with his brother is finding it difficult to provide prove address as he does not pay any bills and that is a core requirement while applying for jobs.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by amorprincesa: 8:28pm On Nov 18, 2023
Let him update his address on his bank account. He can then use the bank statement as proof of address.
Preshyi:
Please how can someone living with family show proof our address? A student who lives with his brother is finding it difficult to provide prove address as he does not pay any bills and that is a core requirement while applying for jobs.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Teedol: 9:28pm On Nov 18, 2023
So much gbas gbos going around, we should learn to take one step at a time, just settle for whatever job pays the bill, dont stay jobless because you are looking for "that white collar Job".

NB: Pls I need a name of a very good blender that can blend rice to a fine finish, i dont want to make mistakes abeg, i get some kain better imported dry fish from 9ja i will like to do justice to wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by broglie: 9:30pm On Nov 18, 2023
[quote author=jblesn post=127039077]
Thank you

Should the proof of fund be in my husband's account?

Yes you need to show proof of fund if your COS is expired. You can check the date on the COS originally issued to you[/quo
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rayralph(m): 9:34pm On Nov 18, 2023
Teedol:
So much gbas gbos going around, we should learn to take one step at a time, just settle for whatever job pays the bill, dont stay jobless because you are looking for "that white collar Job".

NB: Pls I need a name of a very good blender that can blend rice to a fine finish, i dont want to make mistakes abeg, i get some kain better imported dry fish from 9ja i will like to do justice to wink

Ninja blender BN800 IQ
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ticha: 9:37pm On Nov 18, 2023
Lexusgs430:

It matters alot (infact, it's the spine of this matter).......

Without a legal contract, you cannot be deemed a tenant......

LL could claim she simply housed an unruly family member......

Without a contract, if the LL is wise..... She would get away with murder.......

That's not quite right. As long as there is a documented trail of rent payment, even if not consistent, any indication of a rental agreement i.e. a text or email requesting rent or referencing the rental, it's a rental contract verbal or written. There are several case laws for this.

It is easy to prove they're not related.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Teedol: 9:42pm On Nov 18, 2023
Thank u so much

rayralph:

Ninja blender BN800 IQ
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ticha: 9:53pm On Nov 18, 2023
UniqueDext:
No, she does not live in the house

Already called police , they referred me to citizens advice.
Unfortunately CA doesn't work on weekends

Okay few things here -
1. Contact Shelter - they're a better bet than CAB who most likely will refer you to Shelter. Shelter also has a very huge hard on for Landlords especially rogue ones
2. Do some background work yourself. Is the house a HMO? If 3 or more separate persons so you, your friend and one other person not directly related live in the house, it automatically makes it a HMO. Is that the case?
3. Is it a selective licensing area? You can easily find this from your council's website. If yes, your landlady needs to have a licence and have it displayed in the house, the house will need fire doors and a host of other things. If she doesn't have this, then she's in deep dodo. Each council also publishes a list of all HMO landlords in the area, you can search for it this way as well.
4. If it's not a selective licensing area, she still needs to meet the regulations for a HMO so again Shelter and the council.

By her behaviour, I am sure she's skirting the edges of the law in many ways. Keep every communication you have had with her via text, email, WhatsApp etc. Gather evidence to show she does not live there as she may claim you are lodgers and she lives there as well.

Unless your contract explicitly states that you are not allowed to have guests (that cannot be upheld anyway), you can totally have a guest which is what your friend was till money started changing hands for his stay. Once extra rent has been asked for, then your friend also has a tenancy there.

So you have a 2 pronged approach - use Shelter to your advantage and report to the council's housing department.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:48pm On Nov 18, 2023
Ticha:

That's not quite right. As long as there is a documented trail of rent payment, even if not consistent, any indication of a rental agreement i.e. a text or email requesting rent or referencing the rental, it's a rental contract verbal or written. There are several case laws for this.

As I stated earlier, OP provided further details and I have updated my response........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 12:01am On Nov 19, 2023
UniqueDext:
Nigerian

Na we dey do ourselves
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:02am On Nov 19, 2023
Ticha:

Okay few things here -
1. Contact Shelter - they're a better bet than CAB who most likely will refer you to Shelter. Shelter also has a very huge hard on for Landlords especially rogue ones
2. Do some background work yourself. Is the house a HMO? If 3 or more separate persons so you, your friend and one other person not directly related live in the house, it automatically makes it a HMO. Is that the case?
3. Is it a selective licensing area? You can easily find this from your council's website. If yes, your landlady needs to have a licence and have it displayed in the house, the house will need fire doors and a host of other things. If she doesn't have this, then she's in deep dodo. Each council also publishes a list of all HMO landlords in the area, you can search for it this way as well.
4. If it's not a selective licensing area, she still needs to meet the regulations for a HMO so again Shelter and the council.

By her behaviour, I am sure she's skirting the edges of the law in many ways. Keep every communication you have had with her via text, email, WhatsApp etc. Gather evidence to show she does not live there as she may claim you are lodgers and she lives there as well.

Unless your contract explicitly states that you are not allowed to have guests (that cannot be upheld anyway), you can totally have a guest which is what your friend was till money started changing hands for his stay. Once extra rent has been asked for, then your friend also has a tenancy there.

So you have a 2 pronged approach - use Shelter to your advantage and report to the council's housing department.

I thought you said a contract was not required....... A contract does not necessarily need to be written on an A4 paper........ OP already said he got loads of WhatsApp chats and most importantly, she advertised that accommodation (so loads of details to work with).......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 12:20am On Nov 19, 2023
UniqueDext:
Nigerian

In London right ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 12:22am On Nov 19, 2023
UniqueDext:

I will always say this you are never free in a white mans land. If na dem people call them go run come immediately.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by UniqueDext: 12:38am On Nov 19, 2023
Yes
lavida001:

In London right ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 12:45am On Nov 19, 2023
UniqueDext:
Yes

I just knew it. So many stupid land lord and landlady’s in London with inflated rents. They also make stupid laws like you have to wash or cook once a week.

Looking for like 4 guys we can rent 3 bedroom just outside London. If you game Dm me
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 1:26am On Nov 19, 2023
lavida001:

I will always say this you are never free in a white mans land. If na dem people call them go run come immediately.

It is indeed a civil matter, but that police station attendance....... Gives you a coverage, incase matters escalates into violence.......

That LL if she is conversant with renting rules, would NEVER remove a door.... Not to talk of attending premises without notice.........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by phemmylink(m): 3:39am On Nov 19, 2023
Gift7428:
Write to HCPC
Tell them about your intentions
They will be in the best position.
You should have chosen to study biomedical sciences for your masters but anyway just do as above.

Let me give a gist. It's not quite easy to land a job in biomedical science here in UK if you are deviod of UK experience. I am on the register and I keep getting refused sometimes without reason when I apply for UK NHS jobs.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by abuhusna1: 4:22am On Nov 19, 2023
UniqueDext:
She came with handyman who she paid to do the job for her.
You can make her regret her action. I remember when I was in ireland a polish girl made our landlord sell his house cheap cos he was tormenting her. She reported her house almost got burnt when she forgot food on the cooker and the fire alarm did not sound. Fire service came and told him to renovate the house with modern equipment within one month or sell to the person that will do that. Old man sell the house ooo.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodly1: 5:22am On Nov 19, 2023
Please any affordable room in Barnsley or surroundings (Sheffield, Wakefield, Huddersfield etc) for a single male coming in from Nigeria? Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by heroshark(m): 9:26am On Nov 19, 2023
Raalsalghul:

"Bank Manager sues Metropolitan Police....."

Why add the color/ethnic group?

Or am I missing something too?

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. You can not talk of racism without adding the race of the victim. If not how do you now know it's racist in the 1st place ?

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Update87: 10:18am On Nov 19, 2023
Checking the requirements for my course on indeed, I saw that Microsoft office (excel, word and power point) is a must for me.....like I need to be very versed in it

I need to start learning asap...pls can u guys give d best way to start learning online.

Maybe a YouTube channel or something.

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ukay2: 10:25am On Nov 19, 2023
missjekyll:

The LL attitude still the baffle me....how is that possible self in this UK?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ukay2: 10:30am On Nov 19, 2023
Ticha:

Exactly...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:36am On Nov 19, 2023
ukay2:

The LL attitude still the baffle me....how is that possible self in this UK?

If legal migrants could be dealt with in this manner........ Imagine the life of an illegal immigrant......

This was common practice with Nigerian LL, in the dark days (it was even council properties, they illegally sublet)...... If they lived in the house with tenants, baba wàhálà.....

They would restrict use of the boiler, cooking, heating, washing machine, guests etc etc etc ......

I repeat, RENT MONEY IS DEAD MONEY..... Would your mortgage provider, remove your door .......🤣

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ukay2: 10:36am On Nov 19, 2023
Lexusgs430:

It is indeed a civil matter, but that police station attendance....... Gives you a coverage, incase matters escalates into violence.......

That LL if she is conversant with renting rules, would NEVER remove a door.... Not to talk of attending premises without notice.........

....the LL will learn a lesson the hard way if what the OP stated is as said...

(1) (2) (3) ... (305) (306) (307) (308) (309) (310) (311) ... (531) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Dharmie02, eolme(f), ridwando and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.