Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,404 members, 7,812,193 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:52 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (325) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (460138 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (322) (323) (324) (325) (326) (327) (328) ... (531) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by heroshark(m): 11:59am On Nov 27, 2023
justwise:

When you said the above you are implying that though those Nigerians who rushed to the Uk through health care or student visa are educated but its not enough to get Canadian visa....simply means they are not educated enough..

I added 4 criteria, not just education. Why did you leave the other 3 and chose to run with just the education part? Why did you ignore the fact that I said many and not all [/b]and [b]not majority

Are you telling me that all Nigerians that migrated using the care visa or education in the last 2years have atleast a Masters degree, 3-5+years professional experience in a lucrative field, and under 35years ?

Again, I did not generalize it, you are making it sound like I said all Nigerians.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 12:05pm On Nov 27, 2023
heroshark:

If you believe that all Nigerians that moved to the UK are over qualified and can easily get Canada PR, then you are not being entirely honest to yourself.

Your argument have now become the highlighted! SMH.
Keep on adjusting to suit your false narrative. You go twist and explain taya!!!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Gerrard59(m): 12:07pm On Nov 27, 2023
florixi:

Your point does not still hold water. Whatever means people use to japa is no one's business. Some people migrated via sea and sought asylum when they arrived, and most of them are doing very well afterward.

You need to take heart and take a painkiller because more people are coming into the UK, no be you get uk. If you think they are low-skilled people, then you can relocate to another planet because their employers are not complaining. It is only bad belle people like you who are in severe pain because you don't want to see any other person succeed except yourself.

That your cousin wey you dey oppress for naija, wey you refused to show d way , is coming this December! grin O yah vex again!!

Honestly, I would love to read a research paper why that keeps happening. It is prevalent across almost all immigrant societies. Those who have migrated a long time get agitated and somehow unhappy when there are newer arrivals in large numbers. It is not just a Nigerian thing, but happens among Whites in Japan, Indians in the US, Indians in the UK, Mexicans in the US, Indonesians/Malaysians/Filipinos in Japan, etc.

Sha, one thing is clear from the recent exodus: the veil on the UK's face has been removed. It is not a new thing anymore. Literally, an above average Nigerian can get into the UK. The mystery has been demystified. It is good anyway. It is an all-comers-affair.

I remember the time whites said Dubai haff cast because many blacks, especially black Africans, were visiting there en mass.

The UK haff cast.grin grin

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 12:09pm On Nov 27, 2023
justwise:

When you said the above you are implying that though those Nigerians who rushed to the Uk through health care or student visa are educated but its not enough to get Canadian visa....simply means they are not educated enough..

Justwise, please leave that fellow alone jare. He keeps twisting as he responds.

How many have the education clearly means that they are either not educated or not educated enough.

He will twist this one now. A very poor way of arguing!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 12:13pm On Nov 27, 2023
Gerrard59:

Honestly, I would love to read a research paper why that keeps happening. It is prevalent across almost all immigrant societies. Those who have migrated a long time get agitated and somehow unhappy when there are newer arrivals in large numbers. It is not just a Nigerian thing, but happens among Whites in Japan, Indians in the US, Indians in the UK, Mexicans in the US, Indonesians/Malaysians/Filipinos in Japan, etc.

Sha, one thing is clear from the recent exodus: the veil on the UK's face has been removed. It is not a new thing anymore. Literally, an above average Nigerian can get into the UK. The mystery has been demystified. It is good anyway. It is an all-comers-affair.

I remember the time whites said Dubai haff cast because many blacks, especially black Africans, were visiting there en mass.

you're a badt boy grin that's why I like this forum, someone will catch some fun from the whole drama

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:14pm On Nov 27, 2023
toughest007:

How did you arrive at 80%?!!! How many Nigerians have you actually scruitinized to reach the conclusion that they are not educated enough to secure Canada PR? You are clearly just quoting figures to suit your very poor defence. Yes, quickly go and Google something and reply me.

You don't even debate like someone that is educated enough to even get the Canadian PR. That you (and people around you) couldn't get it doesn't entirely mean those that came into the UK via the care visa can't.

People have reasons why they choose the UK or other countries they migrate to. Personally, I never considered Canada for migration cos of the extreme cold, their codes, their unit of measurement, doesn't fit well into my long term goals etc.

The 80% quoted in the OP's post refers to the proportion of Nigerians working in health and social care (which includes doctors, nurses as well as care workers) that were granted UK work visas in the last year. If you look through the stats of the latest ONS report, you would see that this sounds about right.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by heroshark(m): 12:16pm On Nov 27, 2023
justwise:

I can also argue that many Nigerian that migrated to the UK using the student visa route in the last 2years are not qualified for the UK student visa.

But then again people will attack me. But let's examine it without bias or prejudice.

The UK Student visa is point base. To qualify you need a total of 40points.
CAS = 30points
Proof of sufficient fund = 10points

Many Nigerians (majority in my uni and cohorts) used fraudulent means to obtain the last 10 points. So genuinely speaking they did not meet the criteria and if UKVI had discovered they would've been banned.

The influx of immigrants that the UK is complaining about is mainly from Indians (+subcontinent) and Nigerians and these are also the group that uses the most fraudulent means to secure visa ( Selling of COS and Fraudulent POF). This is the truth and we all know it. But if I talk am, everybody go tag me as enemy of progress.

I personally can not say this outside the community but as na we we dey here, make we tell ourselves the truth.

What i[quote][/quote]

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:24pm On Nov 27, 2023
Goke7:

The Brits themselves should educate themselves better from the stats before them and be realistic. Most of the numbers are international students many of which will not settle permanently. Secondly the highest number of foreign workers are actually from the healthcare sector so they should ask themselves if they are now ready to man that sector themselves otherwise all the hue and cry is baseless cos it’s the politicians themselves will continue to use such stats to get their votes to keep themselves in power and not focus on more pressing issues affecting their own well being. Enough said

The panic set in when they observed the large number of dependants that started accompanying students on a 1 year post grad course. It points to a plan to stay permanently as opposed to get your masters and some work ex, and then return home.

Re the health and social care sector, the largest vacancies are in the care sector. But I find it strange that since brexit, the number of vacancies doesn't appear to have gone down, despite over 150k care visas being granted in the last 2 years.
And if there were such huge vacancies as reported, why are so many immigrants , especially those who came in via an agency, unable to get shifts?

Something's not adding up. And it's certainly not working in the current format.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:28pm On Nov 27, 2023
Gerrard59:

Nope, the issue is that the truth is often difficult to hear and accept.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 12:28pm On Nov 27, 2023
heroshark:

I can also argue that many Nigerian that migrated to the UK using the student visa route in the last 2years are not qualified for the UK student visa.

But then again people will attack me. But let's examine it without bias or prejudice.

CAS = 30points

Many Nigerians (majority in my uni and cohorts) used fraudulent means to obtain the last 10 points. So genuinely speaking they did not meet the criteria and if UKVI had discovered they would've been banned.

The influx of immigrants that the UK is complaining about is mainly from Indians (+subcontinent) and Nigerians and these are also the group that uses the most fraudulent means to secure visa ( Selling of COS and Fraudulent POF). This is the truth and we all know it. But if I talk am, everybody go tag me as enemy of progress.

I personally can not say this outside the community but as na we we dey here, make we tell ourselves the truth.

What i

The UK you're trying to defend knows these facts well more than you but you know what? they didn't care as they were more after the numbers to reach their target. Stop trying to be more righteous than them, they were in the know but looked away to get all their figures. And that's the hypocrisy lot of people point at, you were the ones who let them in with all the fraudulent credentials in the first place.

I have always maintained that the sales of COS should be blamed on the govt for allowing all sorts of agencies to issue COS, I hear they are now trying to do proper background checks if that is true anyway.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 12:30pm On Nov 27, 2023
Zahra29:

The panic set in when they observed the large number of dependants that started accompanying students on a 1 year post grad course. It points to a plan to stay permanently as opposed to get your masters and then return home.

Re the health and social care sector, the largest vacancies are in the care sector. But I find it strange that since brexit, the number of vacancies doesn't appear to have gone down, despite over 150k care visas being granted in the last 2 years.
And if there were such huge vacancies as reported, why are so many immigrants , especially those who came in via an agency, unable to get shifts?

Something's not adding up. And it's certainly not working in the current format.

and who do we blame for this? Immigrants?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:35pm On Nov 27, 2023
Goke7:

Yes, for abusing the system (not all, just those who are complicit) e.g buying/selling cos, fake pof, scam dependants etc

And the government/home office for enabling the system to be abused.

Anyways now that the pressure is on, tougher measures will be put in place to hopefully stop these scams
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dupyshoo: 12:35pm On Nov 27, 2023
I blame the government and those selling COS.
It is hard to blame those that are trying to get better opportunities for their families.
Goke7:

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 12:38pm On Nov 27, 2023
Raalsalghul:
Again, elitism has reared its ugly head on this thread.
Some of you need to get out of your feelings and smell the coffee. Are these things the OP mentioned below not happening or not? Africans like to take the truth as a personal attack with a pinch of inferiority complex instead of fixing up.

[/b]People selling COS
People having fake marriages to bring in dependents
Student coming to UK without any means of paying tuition
People rushing on Student visa without any intention of studying and abandoning their studies for carework[b]

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:43pm On Nov 27, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

Some of you need to get out of your feelings and smell the coffee. Are these things the OP mentioned below not happening or not? Africans like to take the truth as a personal attack with a pinch of inferiority complex instead of fixing up.

[/b]People selling COS
People having fake marriages to bring in dependents
Student coming to UK without any means of paying tuition
People rushing on Student visa without any intention of studying and abandoning their studies for carework[b]

💯

Thank you ....it's not a personal attack, just facts. And these are the issues, committed by a few, that lead to harsher immigration policies that affect the many. Collective punishment and stereotypes.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 1:16pm On Nov 27, 2023
Zahra29:

Yes, for abusing the system (not all, just those who are complicit)

And the government/home office for enabling the system to be abused.

Anyways now that the pressure is on, tougher measures will be put in place to hopefully stop these scams
People are now setting up care home businesses just to sell COS. The rot keeps getting deeper but people like to be delulu instead of acknowledging that we as a people, Indians, Ghanaians, Zimbabweans, and Nigerians need to do better. I’ve come to realise that it’s their country and their rules and if I don’t like it, then I can fxxk off to another country where I will still cry and cry if their policies annoy me. But to ignore the fact that we are abusing the system is downright preposterous. Because their policies appear to be turning on its own no mean say they are wrong, they are right in their own way as it’s their country and their rules.

The truth remains that one has a higher chance of getting a UK visa than any of those countries mentioned and you people know that Heroshark is right but you are just in denial. Not every Joe can make it into Canada as their deciding factors are strict, that’s why there’s a distinction between the quality of people who move into Canada, Australia and the US versus the UK. A high percentage of the people who moved to the US legally either did so through Family, Lottery system or School and as for the student route, US universities will deny your study application or visa before you finish spelling SUELLA. US universities reject their citizens, talk more of you a foreigner. The people who moved in illegally, got in through a visiting visa and they either did marriage fraud or applied for asylum. I know a handful of such people. Make Una Japa to US easily like the UK now, make we dey see.

The UK is this and that, but the other day, we dey complain about woman wey get work go dey collect free food wey suppose be poor people with zero income, she come even turn am to content creation. But we wan dey banter back and forth on top the truth.

Make everybody dey deceive themselves.

Sorry Zahra for hijacking your post to write this long talk. The talk don tire me

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 1:26pm On Nov 27, 2023
Zahra29:

The 80% quoted in the OP's post refers to the proportion of Nigerians working in health and social care (which includes doctors, nurses as well as care workers) that were granted UK work visas in the last year. If you look through the stats of the latest ONS report, you would see that this sounds about right.

Ah... OK. Thanks. Could you respond to my second question? Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 1:29pm On Nov 27, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

People are now setting up care home businesses just to sell COS. The rot keeps getting deeper but people like to be delulu instead of acknowledging that we as a people, Indians, Ghanaians, Zimbabweans, and Nigerians need to do better. I’ve come to realise that it’s their country and their rules and if I don’t like it, then I can fxxk off to another country where I will still cry and cry if their policies annoy me. But to ignore the fact that we are abusing the system is downright preposterous. Because their policies appear to be turning on its own no mean say they are wrong, they are right in their own way as it’s their country and their rules.

The truth remains that one has a higher chance of getting a UK visa than any of those countries mentioned and you people know that Heroshark is right but you are just in denial. Not every Joe can make it into Canada as their deciding factors are strict, that’s why there’s a distinction between the quality of people who move into Canada, Australia and the US versus the UK. A high percentage of the people who moved to the US legally either did so through Family, Lottery system or School and as for the student route, US universities will deny your study application or visa before you finish spelling SUELLA. US universities reject their citizens, talk more of you a foreigner. The people who moved in illegally, got in through a visiting visa and they either did marriage fraud or applied for asylum. I know a handful of such people. Make Una Japa to US easily like the UK now, make we dey see.

The UK is this and that, but the other day, we dey complain about woman wey get work go dey collect free food wey suppose be poor people with zero income, she come even turn am to content creation. But we wan dey banter back and forth on top the truth.

Make everybody dey deceive themselves.

Sorry Zahra for hijacking your post to write this long talk. The talk don tire me

In all of this, the Uk is to be blamed for not properly defining the kind of disciplines and professions they really want which has been my own major issue in all of this. The US and other countries you mentioned have more desire to attract more qualified professionals to settle in their countries but what do you have here in the Uk, folks graduating with an MSc in cybersecurity but no clear immigration pathway but have to settle for jobs in the care sector by paying for COS. Let's not deceive ourselves companies are not really sponsoring professionals here in this country.

The Uk will continue to attract the kinds of people its currently attracting cos that's what they want and they should not blame anybody. If they are serious, sponsorship jobs should not be the only major immigration pathway, overhaul the system, find out honestly what professions you truly need and attract those well qualified for it.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dupyshoo: 1:46pm On Nov 27, 2023
Regarding the bolded, while I blame the government, some students are not even trying at all. Ask them to apply for PSW and consider roles within their field, a lot of them will curse you. When I did my MSc., most of my classmates did psw and majority of them got very good jobs before they finished the psw. Sponsoring of visa was not even that popular then. I applied for around 500 jobs, got to 10 assessment centres before I got a job offer. Some of my classmates even applied for more jobs. When I was not happy with my job, I started applying again. I did so many applications, had so many heart breaks but eventually got 3 companies that wanted to sponsor me at the same time.

I asked one student who was complaining how many jobs he had applied to in his field, he could not mention 10.

People just want to get into skilled worker visa immediately. I was practically begging someone to send me his CV. He was just interested in getting COS from a care home. This is someone that studied cybersecurity.

Also, I have spoken to a lot of students as we have huge no of students in my town. Some of them don't even have a clue what they are studying. They hire people to do their dissertation and course works. Are those people students?

However, some students are still trying their best though and I am certain their hard work will pay soon.

Goke7:

In all of this, the Uk is to be blamed for not properly defining the kind of disciplines and professions they really want which has been my own major issue in all of this. The US and other countries you mentioned have more desire to attract more qualified professionals to settle in their countries but what do you have here in the Uk, folks graduating with an MSc in cybersecurity but no clear immigration pathway but have to settle for jobs in the care sector by paying for COS. Let's not deceive ourselves companies are not really sponsoring professionals here in this country.

The Uk will continue to attract the kinds of people its currently attracting cos that's what they want and they should not blame anybody. If they are serious, sponsorship jobs should not be the only major immigration pathway, overhaul the system, find out honestly what professions you truly need and attract those well qualified for it.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 1:49pm On Nov 27, 2023
heroshark:

CAS = 30points

What i

You can make the same case for Canadian student visa applicants, they all use fake bank statement but Canadian embassy check far more than the UK embassy.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 1:58pm On Nov 27, 2023
Goke7:

But it’s clearly defined on their website, they have a list of skill set they want for the top visas. If the companies are not sponsoring, it’s no fault of the government as they have to prioritise their own as opposed to putting in an extra cost for a visa when they can just easily hire a citizen or someone with an existing work permit with no ties. That people are seeking care jobs post uni is their lack of patience, and for some, the fear of the unknown which I can’t blame them for. Care is still a profession and at some point, we have to respect people’s choice but ensure we speak to people close to us to not settle. Another issue is people are looking to move into other professions because someone somewhere has told them that it’s the best way to get into the job market, instead of just continuing from where they stopped in their country, everyone now wants to be a project manager or a Fraud Expert and they think doing a Masters for it is enough which in a way is putting these companies at risk. That’s why companies are now doing double reference checks. Because if one is on top of their game; why would a company need to do another thorough background check if one has been hired already and has been there for months.
My point is, 2 years is enough time to figure things out, nobody forced us to move here, they’ve given us this opportunity so let’s use it wisely and stop pointing fingers at them.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Treadway: 2:02pm On Nov 27, 2023
heroshark:

So an immigrant shouldn't have an opinion? Why are you all pretending ? Most people paying £10k to get a care COS from Nigeria, if they qualify for Canada PR they won't be paying such outrageous sum to come to the UK to do care.
Over 80% of Nigerians that migrated from Nigeria to the UK on skilled worker visa came through the heathcare worker route.

So when I said many Nigerian that rushed to the UK won't qualify for Canadian student or PR route I stand by it 100%.

I've met many that have been denied either Canada or US student visa b4 trying the UK.

Stop the hypocrisy and check the Nigerians among you, mostly those working in care sector, how many of them have the education (not including any MSc obtained in the UK) , skillset, experience and age to secure the top CRS point for Canada PR route ?

I know we have some very brilliant and talented Nigerians in the UK, so I try not to generalize.

The keywords in my post is Many not majority and rush (you can't rush to Canada, it's simply impossible).
na you get time dey argue with that fellow.

The fellow's thinking and responses na dead give away for how he/she lacks depth of reasoning. I will even say not many, but majority of those flooding the UK na cos of the ease compared to Canada, US etc. Express entry or student visa for Canny dey extremely cumbersome or outrightly unattainable to majority of them, na the simple fact.

Should we talk about the looooooooong processing times for Canada, or the point based system that is mad competitive. You literally have to be young (under 30 or early 30's), with MSc, and French to even be on queue, but trust some nairalanders to be allergic to facts and truth-telling. UK runs wey you fit run everything in under two months at age 45 sef.

Shioor

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 2:06pm On Nov 27, 2023
dupyshoo:
Regarding the bolded, while I blame the government, some students are not even trying at all. Ask them to apply for PSW and consider roles within their field, a lot of them will curse you. When I did my MSc., most of my classmates did psw and majority of them got very good jobs before they finished the psw. Sponsoring of visa was not even that popular then. I applied for around 500 jobs, got to 10 assessment centres before I got a job offer. Some of my classmates even applied for more jobs. When I was not happy with my job, I started applying again. I did so many applications, had so many heart breaks but eventually got 3 companies that wanted to sponsor me at the same time.

I asked one student who was complaining how many jobs he had applied to in his field, he could not mention 10.

People just want to get into skilled worker visa immediately. I was practically begging someone to send me his CV. He was just interested in getting COS from a care home. This is someone that studied cybersecurity.

Also, I have spoken to a lot of students as we have huge no of students in my town. Some of them don't even have a clue what they are studying. They hire people to do their dissertation and course works. Are those people students?

However, some students are still trying their best though and I am certain their hard work will pay soon.

people feel it's a waste of time applying for psw cos it leads to nowhere, nobody likes uncertainty, if the UK immigration policies are straightforward it will be easy for people to make more well-informed decisions, the only straightforward thing now is care cos it leads to their desired settlement. That is why the smarter ones are looking to other countries not because the UK is not even better than those countries but because nobody wants to mortgage his future for any uncertainty. It looks like a gamble for many especially with families applying for psw with the heavy cost to it while with care they just pay the visa fee and are exempted from ihs fees. Only those with a strong desire to remain in their field will try the psw route first and see what happens and they are very few. Th Uk does not need to make these things hard like this and still complain of over 1 million vacancies not filled.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 2:11pm On Nov 27, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

But it’s clearly defined on their website, they have a list of skill set they want for the top visas. If the companies are not sponsoring, it’s no fault of the government as they have to prioritise their own as opposed to putting in an extra cost for a visa when they can just easily hire a citizen or someone with an existing work permit with no ties. That people are seeking care jobs post uni is their lack of patience, and for some, the fear of the unknown which I can’t blame them for. Care is still a profession and at some point, we have to respect people’s choice but ensure we speak to people close to us to not settle. Another issue is people are looking to move into other professions because someone somewhere has told them that it’s the best way to get into the job market, instead of just continuing from where they stopped in their country, everyone now wants to be a project manager or a Fraud Expert and they think doing a Masters for it is enough which in a way is putting these companies at risk. That’s why companies are now doing double reference checks. Because if one is on top of their game; why would a company need to do another thorough background check if one has been hired already and has been there for months.
My point is, 2 years is enough time to figure things out, nobody forced us to move here, they’ve given us this opportunity so let’s use it wisely and stop pointing fingers at them.

one of the top recommendations now from the Migration Advisory Council is to scrap the shortage skills list as it's obvious to all that its just for decoration, so many things here are not straightforward, they want to scrap it cos according to them it is encouraging cheap labour which I find laughable.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by karixz: 2:29pm On Nov 27, 2023
Good day guys,
Please I need advice on what physical bank I should open as a new immigrant. I’ve heard something about some of these banks coming with financial incentives from this thread and I’d be really delighted to know more about this.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 2:34pm On Nov 27, 2023
Peerielass:

It’s dynamic like you said and can be updated at anytime of the year. In the scenario of the person with two jobs earning 27k per annum on each job. Tax charged will depend on a number of factors, did the person complete a P46 form for the second job? If not HMRC will probably place them on an emergency tax code until they are able to ascertain what the person’s correct position is. They could also be placed on a basic rate tax code which means all their earnings from the second job is taxed at 20% without any personal allowance deduction. Once the combined earnings between the two jobs reaches £50,271, then they will start charging 40% on the second job.

Thank for your detailed response. Key takeaway is that the 40% would apply on the second job only, not on both jobs.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dupyshoo: 2:39pm On Nov 27, 2023
Psw is no waste of time. I know of more than 20 friends that got a job in their fields during PSW. While some people will get job before finishing, some will get after a year, some after 2 years. The final outcome will be to become a citizen. It is not how far but how well.

You did not address the statement that some students are not chanelling their energy to applying for jobs in their field. How will they get sponsored when they did not apply.

If we want to be a force to be reckon with in this country, as Nigerians, we need to start targeting the top collectively and stop settling for less.

Goke7:

people feel it's a waste of time applying for psw cos it leads to nowhere, nobody likes uncertainty,[b] if the UK immigration policies are straightforward it will be easy for people to make more well-informed decisions, the only straightforward thing now is care cos it leads to their desired settlement. [/b]That is why the smarter ones are looking to other countries not because the UK is not even better than those countries but because nobody wants to mortgage his future for any uncertainty. It looks like a gamble for many especially with families applying for psw with the heavy cost to it while with care they just pay the visa fee and are exempted from ihs fees. Only those with a strong desire to remain in their field will try the psw route first and see what happens and they are very few. Th Uk does not need to make these things hard like this and still complain of over 1 million vacancies not filled.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 2:39pm On Nov 27, 2023
ehizario2012:

Thank for your detailed response. Key takeaway is that the 40% would apply on the second job only, not on both jobs.

I think you're misinterpreting what the person you quoted said.

The tax bands apply to ALL income COMBINED. Doesn't matter if it's one or two or ten jobs.

If you're under-taxed in either of the jobs, you'll get a notice from HMRC demanding the rest later.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 2:44pm On Nov 27, 2023
karixz:
Good day guys,
Please I need advice on what physical bank I should open as a new immigrant. I’ve heard something about some of these banks coming with financial incentives from this thread and I’d be really delighted to know more about this.
Physical or high street banks lol, spiritual banks no Dey o. Any of them is good actually be it hsbc, Lloyds or Halifax

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by HenryG(m): 2:52pm On Nov 27, 2023
HenryG:
Hello everyone,
Please I need your help. I am bit shaking right now. I am a student in the UK. I was contacted over the weekend for data optimising job for App review for play stores and Apple stores through an agency. There is a form of payment that comes through the website where we review Apps for optimization (Which is just a click and submit review for Apps). The money from the website (in USDT) can be sent to a Crypto wallet (OKX). I had to buy buy USDT 2 times yesterday and today for the work which was £66 spent. The purchase was through P2P by paying directly into the seller bank account and then the seller releasing Crypto(USDT) to me in my OKX account. It all went successfully though. and I have realised £166 within the days together with my £66
But later, I started checking if I am eligible to engage into Crypto as an International student in the UK. I have not sold any Crypto than to buy 2 times(over the weekend. Please I do hope I am not in a mess already as an international student.
Your response will be appreciated.
Thanks

Please I am seeking for response. Hope Crypto trade as an international student in the UK wont affect future Visa application?
Thanks everyone, Justwise.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 2:57pm On Nov 27, 2023
dupyshoo:
Psw is no waste of time. I know of more than 20 friends that got a job in their fields during PSW. While some people will get job before finishing, some will get after a year, some after 2 years. The final outcome will be to become a citizen. It is not how far but how well.

You did not address the statement that some students are not chanelling their energy to applying for jobs in their field. How will they get sponsored when they did not apply.

If we want to be a force to be reckon with in this country, as Nigerians, we need to start targeting the top collectively and stop settling for less.

Why will they channel their energy when there’s no hope of sponsorship, do we all have same level of resilience? Like someone said we may need to respect people’s choices for going the care route. For many it’s family survival first, will you blame them? This is why some people feel we are bashing other people’s career choices here.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 2:57pm On Nov 27, 2023
lavida001:

Brits will always be Brits. The blood flows through their vein. Forget say dem de laugh when they see and talk to you.

I think this comment is quite instructive. Never ever get carried away by the plastic smile from Britons, both the whites and naturalized blacks who are in their second or third generations... They would steal information from you and use it directly against you. Person go open mouth e nor go get power to close am when they start ur case... So at work, u too be using plastic smile for them. Simple. Never get too friendly, trusting is totally outta d window!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (322) (323) (324) (325) (326) (327) (328) ... (531) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: 080bjaked(m), luckygirl02(f), CheesyTee(f) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.