Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,746 members, 7,820,574 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:24 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (362) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (473809 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) (365) ... (545) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by triplo3: 9:54pm On Dec 10, 2023
Poanan:

I am asking a simple question. The question is when how are you planning to leave?

Your response above doesnt look like a time frame.

A simple question without context or relevance to my argument.

I’ve not advocated for reverse or zero migration, in fact I’ve criticized the merry-go-round position (come today, go tomorrow is unfair and wrong). Rather I believe “sustainable” migration should be the goal.

Since we’re creating boogeyman arguments now — why do you want the UK to open the floodgates and banish visas/immigration controls so 10million people can come in annually? It’s foolhardy to think there’s no limit to how many can come regardless of who came first. Every civilized nation has border controls for reason.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 10:01pm On Dec 10, 2023
Goke7:

Those on student visas and post study are seen as new entrants into the labour market where new entrant rule applies. Salary threshold at 70% of 38700 which is 27k but only 3 years of COS

Hmmm, that's not bad at all..

3 years also isn't bad. During that time, one should be able to get a better paying role

Thought its blanket for everyone regardless of where they're coming from. One last Q, does it apply to those in Tech and maybe HR also?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 10:04pm On Dec 10, 2023
missjekyll:
I am 100% for real. This is from 2017 so hasn't even factored in the dogs dinner since the economy.

I m happy that you are keeping up to date with labour policy. Yes the rich will be taxed till the pips squeak. I shouldn't pay more tax than roshis wife.

As to immigration, labour ll do the common sense thing they have been doing to tackle immigration : set up a processing centre in France,
fund the courts so asylum seekers hearings can proceed faster,
fund more training for people already in the country in order to tackle the current severe skills shortage. Check immigration rates in 2010

I m excited to finally get a tory in debate. I went doorknocking in May. No-one admitted to being a tory. Too ashamed so I m happy that seems to be over. You are welcome to the thread ,Mx Tory.
https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-qa-which-party-has-a-better-track-record-on-the-economy
Please tell me you were selected to run for Labour in the next general election. I do not intend to vote Labour as of now but for you I will. Well done and keep it up.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LondyC(f): 10:11pm On Dec 10, 2023
lightnlife:
@Londyc

Check these ones out;

reachvolunteering.org.uk
charityjobs.co.uk
ncvo.org.uk

Google will give you more.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 10:11pm On Dec 10, 2023
hustla:

3 years also isn't bad. During that time, one should be able to get a better paying role

Thought its blanket for everyone regardless of where they're coming from. One last Q, does it apply to those in Tech and maybe HR also?

it applies to every sector.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 10:13pm On Dec 10, 2023
Goke7:

it applies to every sector.

Aluta continua

grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LondyC(f): 10:15pm On Dec 10, 2023

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 10:22pm On Dec 10, 2023
hustla:

Aluta continua

grin

noo this one na NYSC, Now Your Search Continues
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 10:47pm On Dec 10, 2023
Goke7:

noo this one na NYSC, Now Your Search Continues

..but the threshold is a bit favorable

smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Poanan: 10:47pm On Dec 10, 2023
triplo3:

A simple question without context or relevance to my argument.

I’ve not advocated for reverse or zero migration, in fact I’ve criticized the merry-go-round position (come today, go tomorrow is unfair and wrong). Rather I believe “sustainable” migration should be the goal.

Since we’re creating boogeyman arguments now — why do you want the UK to open the floodgates and banish visas/immigration controls so 10million people can come in annually? It’s foolhardy to think there’s no limit to how many can come regardless of who came first. Every civilized nation has border controls for reason.

U have not still answered my question. Cos all you are trying so hard to explain is that it is good for you and not others. So i ask again "when are u leaving the UK?" .

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Amazoner01: 11:12pm On Dec 10, 2023
Poanan:

U have not still answered my question. Cos all you are trying so hard to explain is that it is good for you and not others. So i ask again "when are u leaving the UK?" .
You may be right. While I understand the intention behind the policies as it is necessary for govt to safeguard the interests of the citizen.However, it's funny to see the support these policies receive from Nigerians with settled status in and out of Nairaland, endorsing these measures, perceiving them as beneficial, despite the grievances expressed by the British citizens themselves on some of these policies that affect them. Most people migrate overseas in search of better opportunities, and this includes these individuals as well regardless of the route be it working or studying. People just like to create competition where there’s none.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by mayowa94: 11:25pm On Dec 10, 2023
aragbaboy:

One year after you arrive.
what if I have the international license? Can I use it after one year or can I renew the international license?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by triplo3: 12:07am On Dec 11, 2023
Poanan:

When are you bringing your entire family/village so it results in uncontrolled chain migration? Seems your issue is actually comprehension not immigration policy. If you like cry from now till tomorrow, all countries will continue to reserve the right to control their borders, including our beloved country Nigeria (remember Ghana must go), FGS people are even asking people to go back to their home states in Nigeria, yet you can’t understand why govt would want to control migration numbers. Continue in your folly, I wish you all the best.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LaXxOnebody(m): 12:10am On Dec 11, 2023
Is this for your mobile phone or mobile broadband?

Whichever it is, make sure you call or chat the Customer Service Desk every week for 4 - 6 weeks straight mentioning the difficulties experienced. They might offer to send a replacement SIM at first - take it.

Keep complaining and let them know how it is causing you a massive Distress and Inconvenience.

Let them know you'd like to cancel and look for less stressful arrangements after canceling.

Three Mobile just agreed to cancel my mobile broadband with 14 months left on the contract.

Good luck.
oluwaleokey:

Wish to cancel mine too coz of the poor network in my area but the said I will have to pay up the remaining balance...
Does it make any different? I signed my two year contract in December last year inside their shop.

Wish to switch to EE coz its stronger here... what do you advise please

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Poanan: 12:20am On Dec 11, 2023
triplo3:

When are you bringing your entire family/village so it results in uncontrolled chain migration? Seems your issue is actually comprehension not immigration policy. If you like cry from now till tomorrow, all countries will continue to reserve the right to control their borders, including our beloved country Nigeria (remember Ghana must go), FGS people are even asking people to go back to their home states in Nigeria, yet you can’t understand why govt would want to control migration numbers. Continue in your folly, I wish you all the best.
You have not still answered that simple question. Cos they are talking about controlled immigration, you are seeing yourself as one them cos of your status and this is what the British do not like. You come here and dont want to leave. I don't want to believe that you have come here to occupy without a plan to leave. So i ask again "when are you leaving the uk?"

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goddys(m): 12:52am On Dec 11, 2023
Goke7:

The aspect of visa renewal is still vague, I just feel for those on 2 or 3 years work visas. There was nothing stopping the govt to address that area immediately like the way the nhs aspect was quickly addressed.

It's very obvious from the response that those on 2/3 years work visa won't be able to apply for their dependants at renewal because they said only 25% of dependants are working.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goddys(m): 1:06am On Dec 11, 2023
Goke7:

Those on student visas and post study are seen as new entrants into the labour market where new entrant rule applies. Salary threshold at 70% of 38700 which is 27k but only 3 years of COS

And after the 3 years has elapsed and unable to get an extension, those 3 years won't count anymore towards 5 years ILR route once the person gets work visa in another company
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goddys(m): 1:07am On Dec 11, 2023
hustla:

I don't think the 3 years counts towards ILR 5 years route with another employer
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jum33: 6:41am On Dec 11, 2023
Goddys:

I don't think the 3 years counts towards ILR 5 years route with another employer
All years spents on skilled visa for a particular applicant and even with that applicant changing employers or occupation , so far it comes with tier 2 sponsorship it will still count towards 5 years ilr and will not reset

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jum33: 6:53am On Dec 11, 2023
Goddys:

It's very obvious from the response that those on 2/3 years work visa won't be able to apply for their dependants at renewal because they said only 25% of dependants are working.
I doubt it because dependant that have already spent 2/3 years are on a dependant skilled visa are also on a pathway to ILR just like main applicant. And Ilr is treated independently that is main applicant doesn't affect dependant and vice versa
Where a new immigration rule can into effect is when an applicant or dependant is changing to another visa route after the new rule is already on .
Even as a student visa dependant, by default they are already on 10 years route to ILR ,and if this pathway can be maintained for that 10 years I don't think any new government law can touch them from getting their ILR.
The only fear is those on student visa that are yet to get their COS after spring and if its a carer COS it possible their dependant can be rejected .
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 6:53am On Dec 11, 2023
ReesheesuKnack:

If a doctor like, let them have methuselah years of experience. If the ‘patient’ claims lack of sleep, distress, anxiety and mental health being affected. Mentions general body weakness. The doctor must give sick note.

😹

Exactly what I was going to say.

There's always the possibility that the symptoms are real, but even if the doctor genuinely believes the patient is lying, what’s the incentive to begin a fracas over a sick note? It’s not like the patient wants to take a bedspace or use facilities that the doctor would need to allot people triaged as being in more danger to.

Particularly because disproving the patient’s claims will likely require costly and time-intensive tests, all while risking being accused of not being sympathetic or something ‘ist’ depending on the patient’s demographics.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 6:54am On Dec 11, 2023
missjekyll:
They did inherit a vibrant economy and have now run it into the ground.
Everything hinges on funding. If Westminster does not fund the devolved governments, there is very little they can do, even with the best will in the world.

Its even more shameful that even with the most funding of the 4 nations, the most people, this is the mess the tories have delivered in 13 years.

You didn’t say anything about Wales.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by gmacnoms(m): 7:08am On Dec 11, 2023
Goke7:

Dem don cast us finish for this place, that since our home country is no better we should not complain much. I once told my British pastor and his wife in church how much we pay for ihs, their face just turn red and almost passed out. They were shocked at the amount we immigrants pay into their system. I don’t blame our people much we are all coming from a system with almost no protected rights

Yes. When also told one local, the amount paid for IHS for my family, man was stunned. He said they never say this on the media. That it’s the fist time he’s hearing it and was shocked at how much we paid to the government.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Progressivegee: 7:19am On Dec 11, 2023
So much uncertainty. Will this new rule affect renewals for care visa? Will they ask every dependent to leave the country by march? Omo, this one choke oo
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 8:28am On Dec 11, 2023
Poanan:

I am asking a simple question. The question is when how are you planning to leave?

Your response above doesnt look like a time frame.

Your question is an irrelevant one.

Classic red herring fallacy.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 8:41am On Dec 11, 2023
Goddys:

It will because it’s still work visa just that the person can’t resume with another employer until after obtaining the renewed visa sponsored by the new employer.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 8:43am On Dec 11, 2023
Goddys:

You’re really getting their drift that’s why they were silent on it for now. Am guessing they want to see how the numbers will drop before making a final decision
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 8:45am On Dec 11, 2023
jum33:

I doubt it because dependant that have already spent 2/3 years are on a dependant skilled visa are also on a pathway to ILR just like main applicant. And Ilr is treated independently that is main applicant doesn't affect dependant and vice versa
Where a new immigration rule can into effect is when an applicant or dependant is changing to another visa route after the new rule is already on .
Even as a student visa dependant, by default they are already on 10 years route to ILR ,and if this pathway can be maintained for that 10 years I don't think any new government law can touch them from getting their ILR.
The only fear is those on student visa that are yet to get their COS after spring and if its a carer COS it possible their dependant can be rejected .

We can only speculate cos nothing is in black and white to hold onto for now on the issue of visa renewal
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 9:43am On Dec 11, 2023
Goddys:

Any source or link that explains this?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 10:05am On Dec 11, 2023
Apparently, some things that are very common-sensical aren’t.

The recent rules aim a cutting NET migration. For visa holders who are already in-country, the rules that will apply to them are the rules that were in place AT THE TIME OF ORIGINAL VISA APPROVAL.
The rules can only be applied to New Arrivals, from New Applications. Honestly, people should stop all these mindless postulations.

There is precedence. When the Tier-1 (HSMP) rules were changed, the courts ruled that the rules can not be applied to persons already granted on previous rules.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 10:07am On Dec 11, 2023
hustla:

Any source or link that explains this?

It’s not correct. ILR eligibility is calculated based on time that a person has worked in the UK, and their salary over the period and at the time of application. Number of employers is irrelevant.

https://www.gov.uk/indefinite-leave-to-remain-tier-2-t2-skilled-worker-visa

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 10:15am On Dec 11, 2023
Goodenoch:

It’s not correct. ILR eligibility is calculated based on time that a person has worked in the UK, and their salary over the period and at the time of application. Number of employers is irrelevant.

https://www.gov.uk/indefinite-leave-to-remain-tier-2-t2-skilled-worker-visa

I was starting to wonder when what he said came into place cis that will mean getting stuck with an employer for 5years

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) (365) ... (545) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: mizGene(f), xty4u(f), Akhat, Ugochinyere1(f), deept(m), Buubuuu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.