Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,928 members, 7,828,210 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:29 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (365) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (484787 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (362) (363) (364) (365) (366) (367) (368) ... (553) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 6:37pm On Dec 11, 2023
Apologies everyone, let me take Reesheesunack to a dead thread.
I keep replying because I do not want to leave misinformation uncorrected. You never know who is reading.

I want him/her to leave that finished party. 😃 .
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 6:50pm On Dec 11, 2023
profemebee:
1. Ignorance and laws don't go together unfortunately

2. You never corrected him for using the "migrant" tag for the man just doing his job

3. You said we shouldn't judge him but he quickly judged a man just doing his job and gave him a "migrant " tag

My bro... no be so

did he assault the man? finish him then for just being human
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Regex: 6:56pm On Dec 11, 2023
ehizario2012:

Hmmm... In my first week in this country, I took a train to Rotherham from Sheffield and paid £5.6 in cash inside the train, on my way back I paid the same £5.6 in cash. The conductors were white, a lady to, and a guy fro. It was only me that day, I went to confirm our accomodation.

Following day, I packed my family and all my children inside train to Rotherham, got there as usual, met a white conductor outside the train and told him I'll be paying cash inside the train he said no problem. Lo and behold, the conductor I saw was a black man, he asked for tickets and I said I am paying cash. Next thing, this black man gave me a ticket of £100 for not buying a ticket before boarding the train... My protests and samples of receipts of previous journeys fell on deaf ears. I felt so embarrassed with my kids. That's how we do ourselves, over sabi na e dey kill some of us. Over do!!! He definitely came in as a migrant too! If na Lagos we dey, I for use something do am.

There are ticket booth at the train station so simplified that one can easily operate it and get a ticket without having any IT training. Moreover, there are securities placed everywhere even near the ticket booth should you need help getting a ticket. He is not overdoing it. This is thr reason you left Nigeria to the UK, to be in a working society. If he doesn't do his job, that wouldn't be working innit?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 7:06pm On Dec 11, 2023
Regex:

There are ticket booth at the train station so simplified that one can easily operate it and get a ticket without having any IT training. Moreover, there are securities placed everywhere even near the ticket booth should you need help getting a ticket. He is not overdoing it. This is thr reason you left Nigeria to the UK, to be in a working society. If he doesn't do his job, that wouldn't be working innit?

He is more sensible than those whites who used their discretion then. I am not even arguing that I was right, I know the law doesn't recognize ignorance but I was a few days in the UK... It's one of those things but this particular black guy just wanted to show himself. The owners of the land didn't book me, to and fro! Not one trip, but two!

It's alright, we move.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 7:07pm On Dec 11, 2023
Goke7:

did he intentionally want to break the law? did he pay his fare or not on the previous occasions?

He made it clear to all of us here that were it to be in Lagos, he would have manhandled the black ticketing officer who was simply just doing his job and applying the rules.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Regex: 7:07pm On Dec 11, 2023
ehizario2012:

He is more sensible than those whites who used their discretion then. I

But what happened to the ticket booth?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 7:09pm On Dec 11, 2023
Regex:

But what happened to the ticket booth?

Did I even know there was anything like that?? I just equated it to stagecoach bus. Lol. It's all good sha.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 7:12pm On Dec 11, 2023
missjekyll:
I keep replying because I do not want to leave misinformation uncorrected. You never know who is reading.

You mentioned owner of daily mail. I asked you the simplest questions, your skirt around. Realising the folly of not drawing the line between the man vs the man’s businesses.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 7:13pm On Dec 11, 2023
ReesheesuKnack:

He made it clear to all of us here that were it to be in Lagos, he would have manhandled the black ticketing officer who was simply just doing his job and applying the rules.

You can make a novel out of this actually. I was only kidding and it's obvious. I was only angry because it was clear he just wanted to "show himself"

If I met him on my very first train ride and he booked me, I would have just taken it on the chin and moved on. Welcome to UK things... But 2 whites, one man, one woman didn't make an issue out of it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 7:15pm On Dec 11, 2023
yet again.. i will reply you..

We all saw what he typed he would do if he was in Lagos.. meaning the working society here made him not to ..

But in a broken society like our home country, he would have done something.. he typed it all by himself...

The beautiful thing about everything is even in Lagos, he would have been arrested for touching a government official doing his job

Goke7:

did he assault the man? finish him then for just being human

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 7:16pm On Dec 11, 2023
ehizario2012:

He is more sensible than those whites who used their discretion then. I am not even arguing that I was right, I know the law doesn't recognize ignorance but I was a few days in the UK... It's one of those things but this particular black guy just wanted to show himself. The owners of the land didn't book me, to and fro! Not one trip, but two!

It's alright, we move.

And that’s the reason why you wished it was in Lagos, so that you would do him something untoward, because he was doing his job.

If you want to bring up stories that touch, to portray any race as good and another race as bad, better bring up justifiable stories.

Your aim of bringing this story is summarised in the last 2 sentences of your original post:
To imply that the black guy who is an immigrant (like you) shouldn’t apply the rules to a ‘fellow’ immigrant. Your story was meant to paint white as good and black (immigrant) as bad.
No sir. E No gel.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 7:17pm On Dec 11, 2023
Now it is all jokes lol

Take your L brother... your perspective will make it either a Lesson or a Loss

ehizario2012:

You can make a novel out of this actually. I was only[b] kidding and it's obvious[/b]. I was only angry because it was clear he just wanted to "show himself"

If I met him on my very first train ride and he booked me, I would have just taken it on the chin and moved on. Welcome to UK things... But 2 whites, one man, one woman didn't make an issue out of it.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 7:17pm On Dec 11, 2023
and thats just the fact

ReesheesuKnack:

And that’s the reason why you wished it was in Lagos, so that you would do him something untoward, because he was doing his job.

If you want to bring up stories that touch, to portray any race as good and another race as bad, better bring up justifiable stories.

Your aim of bringing this story is summarised in the last 2 sentences of your original post:
To imply that the black guy who is an immigrant (like you) shouldn’t apply the rules to a ‘fellow’ immigrant. Your story was meant to paint white as good and black (immigrant) as bad.
No sir. E No gel.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 7:18pm On Dec 11, 2023
ReesheesuKnack:

Of course because of how he felt not knowing the guy was just doing his job and I agree that comment is off which is why I even tried to make a joke out of it initially with my response. It was pure ignorance on his part as a new comer which is why I cut him some slack. He came back to admit paying the fine and not contesting the ticket.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 7:18pm On Dec 11, 2023
ehizario2012:

You can make a novel out of this actually. I was only kidding and it's obvious. I was only angry because it was clear he just wanted to "show himself"

But seriously, how will you be angry for someone for doing his job?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 7:27pm On Dec 11, 2023
missjekyll:
To sum up our discussion this afternoon, Tories are bad 👎. They know it and have accepted defeat in the next election.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tory-boss-accused-giving-up-31631600

As to the owner of the Daily mail, why don't you answer all those questions yourself? I have said he doesn't pay uk taxes
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/29/non-dom-status-claimed-by-800-british-born-taxpayers-living-in-uk,

where is your evidence that he does?

People , I ve found a Tory . Please direct your questions on the recent changes to him/her.
I have a few for him/her as well....

why are your plans for immigrants like all of us on this thread so vindictive and punishing? Why have you spent 300 million on this Rwanda fairytale with nothing to show for it?
Why are you pushing to leave the European Court of Human Rights ? What other terrors do you have planned for the hapless inhabitants of these Isles?

Why are the railways expensive yet cr*p?

why is the NHS now rubbish?

Why are schools collapsing literally?

Why are prisons now so full to the brim that criminals are being released early?where are our bobbies on the beat?

Why are criminal courts backed up to 2 years even for serious crimes?

Why can i no longer swim in the sea at dymchurch because soakaway is being poured into the ocean?

Why are there more foodbanks than mcdonalds?

What have you done well in the past 13 years?

Pray tell, inquiring minds on this thread want to know

As an avid student of (recent Nigerian History), your rhetoric is EXACTLY what the APC used to get to power in 2015. All these ‘Where’ questions you are asking, the APC asked them. And because of all the Where’s rhetoric, the APC got into power. The APC (in 2014) was talking about making $ = NGN. What they failed to do was to say the ‘HOW’.

That is the same thing You (and UK Labour & Cooperative Party) are doing. Whipping up rhetorics. Oya, tell us (the voters) how you will achieve it. The HOW is the key thing here. Plus, where will the money come from?

Missjekyll. HoW will you achieve these?

Railways are expensive yet crap: How will labour reduce the fare from Sheffield to Rotherham from £5.10 to £1.20?

The NHS is now rubbish: HOW will Labour un-rubbish it?

There are no bobbies on the beat: How will Labour bring bobbies on the beat? And where will the money for the bobbies salaries come from?

There are more food banks than macdonalds: How will Labour establish more macdonalds to outnumber the food banks?

Prisons are now full to the brim: how will Labour decongest them?

You see, you keep on banging about how the Tories are rubbish. Tell us how Labour will solve the problems.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 7:29pm On Dec 11, 2023
Zahra29:

I was literally nicknamed Suellalet on this forum, so I'm not sure what Libdem vibes you're getting from me 😂

Libdem is @dustydee - please come and share your policy grin
Ha, aunty Suellalet I am not Libdem but I was tilting towards them especially because of Starmers' recent stance and what they did to Jeremy. I also voted for Cameron so it varies from election to election.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Hkana: 7:31pm On Dec 11, 2023
Comprehension has been taking a very big hit on this thread in the last few pages.

Folks reading to reply, not fully understanding what they're replying to.

grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 7:31pm On Dec 11, 2023
missjekyll:
Yaaaaay! So sweet of you. I support whichever party offers the best hope for the working class AND have a chance of winning at the general election.

if labour stops offering these 2 things , i ll hop off immediately to the party that does offer them.
Jokes apart, you are doing a better job than a lot of the front benchers and for now you have my vote unless Starmer messes up. grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 7:39pm On Dec 11, 2023
dustydee:

Jokes apart, you are doing a better job than a lot of the front benchers and for now you have my vote unless Starmer messes up. grin

Starmwr that cannot even tell us what/who a woman is.

Starmer that is tilting so much to the Blue team that he has now started copiously quoting Margaret Thatcher?

As to your vexation about what KS did to JC, come on….. but Keir supported Corbyn & Corbyn’s mad manifesto on 2019, Keirn’t he?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Regex: 8:13pm On Dec 11, 2023
ehizario2012:

Did I even know there was anything like that?? I just equated it to stagecoach bus. Lol. It's all good sha.

Well, you have learned. Try and make your purchase online and also don't be afraid to ask anyone in the lord's chosen kinda garment question or anyone in particular. Onye ajuju anaghi efu uzo. One who asks questions will never be at lost.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Amazoner01: 8:40pm On Dec 11, 2023
ehizario2012:

Hmmm... In my first week in this country, I took a train to Rotherham from Sheffield and paid £5.6 in cash inside the train, on my way back I paid the same £5.6 in cash. The conductors were white, a lady to, and a guy fro. It was only me that day, I went to confirm our accomodation.

Following day, I packed my family and all my children inside train to Rotherham, got there as usual, met a white conductor outside the train and told him I'll be paying cash inside the train he said no problem. Lo and behold, the conductor I saw was a black man, he asked for tickets and I said I am paying cash. Next thing, this black man gave me a ticket of £100 for not buying a ticket before boarding the train... My protests and samples of receipts of previous journeys fell on deaf ears. I felt so embarrassed with my kids. That's how we do ourselves, over sabi na e dey kill some of us. Over do!!! He definitely came in as a migrant too! If na Lagos we dey, I for use something do am.
Haha let me crack you up lol. So on my first day in the UK, I found myself in a funny situation.I ended up at a pub, not the hotel I thought I had booked on booking site. The people at the pub informed me that they had repeatedly raised this issue with the booking site since they didn't operate as a hotel but they kept on referring people there .

Before I realised I have bleeped up lol, my Uber had already left, leaving me stranded with my bags packed full of Nigerian food. Adding to the problem, I didn't have Uk SIM card nor internet to book another hotel or call families around.

I stood there, observing fellow Nigerian that might help as I was seeing them, also tried reaching out to one person even my greetings wasnt replied to. My simple request would have been where I could get a SIM card. With a working SIM, I could connect to the internet and book another hotel.

Not knowing a white kind-hearted woman had been looking at me from her office just opposite where I was standing. She came out to me, ask me why my bags were everywhere lol.
After telling her, she asked me to wait while she go fetch her car, she helped transport my luggages even lifting them herself telling me I would have been tired, gave me a lift to another hotel and where to buy SIM card.

I can’t blame Nigerians that didn’t help tho perhaps they have their reasons. I alway say a prayer to that woman till today whenever I remember.

16 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 9:36pm On Dec 11, 2023
ReesheesuKnack:

Starmwr that cannot even tell us what/who a woman is.

Starmer that is tilting so much to the Blue team that he has now started copiously quoting Margaret Thatcher?

As to your vexation about what KS did to JC, come on….. but Keir supported Corbyn & Corbyn’s mad manifesto on 2019, Keirn’t he?
grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 9:48pm On Dec 11, 2023
No no no no, we are not starting in the middle of the story.

You ll have to own up, tell us (the british people) how you ruined everything and beg us for forgiveness.

Then we ll discuss solutions.

Inviting people affected by the recent changes to direct all enquiries to the conservative party member on this thread. Let him try to explain the unexplainable. Should be entertaining.

ReesheesuKnack:

As an avid student of (recent Nigerian History), your rhetoric is EXACTLY what the APC used to get to power in 2015. All these ‘Where’ questions you are asking, the APC asked them. And because of all the Where’s rhetoric, the APC got into power. The APC (in 2014) was talking about making $ = NGN. What they failed to do was to say the ‘HOW’.

That is the same thing You (and UK Labour & Cooperative Party) are doing. Whipping up rhetorics. Oya, tell us (the voters) how you will achieve it. The HOW is the key thing here. Plus, where will the money come from?

Missjekyll. HoW will you achieve these?

Railways are expensive yet crap: How will labour reduce the fare from Sheffield to Rotherham from £5.10 to £1.20?

The NHS is now rubbish: HOW will Labour un-rubbish it?

There are no bobbies on the beat: How will Labour bring bobbies on the beat? And where will the money for the bobbies salaries come from?

There are more food banks than macdonalds: How will Labour establish more macdonalds to outnumber the food banks?

Prisons are now full to the brim: how will Labour decongest them?

You see, you keep on banging about how the Tories are rubbish. Tell us how Labour will solve the problems.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 9:57pm On Dec 11, 2023
Amazoner01:

Haha let me crack you up lol. So on my first day in the UK, I found myself in a funny situation.I ended up at a pub, not the hotel I thought I had booked on booking site. The people at the pub informed me that they had repeatedly raised this issue with the booking site since they didn't operate as a hotel but they kept on referring people there .

Before I realised I have bleeped up lol, my Uber had already left, leaving me stranded with my bags packed full of Nigerian food. Adding to the problem, I didn't have Uk SIM card nor internet to book another hotel or call families around.

I stood there, observing fellow Nigerian that might help as I am seeing them, also tried reaching out to one person even my greetings wasnt replied to. My simple request would have been where I could get a SIM card. With a working SIM, I could connect to the internet and book another hotel.

Not knowing a white kind-hearted woman had been looking at me from her office just opposite where I was standing. She came out to me, ask me why my bags were everywhere lol.
After telling her, she asked me to wait while she go fetch her car, she helped transport my luggages when lifting them herself telling me I would have been very tired, gave me to a lift to another hotel and where to buy SIM card.

I can’t blame Nigerians that didn’t help tho perhaps they have their reasons. I alway say a prayer to that woman till today whenever I remember.

It is well. Help comes from where least expected sometimes. Be thankful you didn't meet some of the people on this thread, they'll definitely have blamed you for not booking a spare hotel from Nigeria in case the first hotel failed!!! Just imagine!

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 10:04pm On Dec 11, 2023
Its a debate, not an inquisition. You answer your own questions and post links. Thats how we debate over here. Zahra29 is more fun to debate.
Come back , Zahra. 😃.

I only mentioned the daily mail because not everyone knows who rothermere is as would be clear to anyone who read my sentence...he does not pay uk taxes because of "non dom status ". That is unfair and should be remedied.simple and short

ReesheesuKnack:

You mentioned owner of daily mail. I asked you the simplest questions, your skirt around. Realising the folly of not drawing the line between the man vs the man’s businesses.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by homole(m): 10:28pm On Dec 11, 2023
Hello House, as a dependent, looking to switch to a health and care visa as the main applicant is it mandatory I do a test to prove your knowledge of English for a health and care worker visa, Bear in mind I have a Higher National Diploma. Your suggestions will be appreciated.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Poanan: 10:38pm On Dec 11, 2023
missjekyll:
Its a debate, not an inquisition. You answer your own questions and post links. Thats how we debate over here. Zahra29 is more fun to debate.
Come back , Zahra. 😃.

I only mentioned the daily mail because not everyone knows who rothermere is as would be clear to anyone who read my sentence...he does not pay uk taxes because of "non dom status ". That is unfair and should be remedied.simple and short

If he does not pay tax cos of his non dom status I doubt if anything can be done about it. You have to change the rule for biz with non -dom status pay tax. Most businessmen set up complex group structures to allow them avoid tax. Although I don't know how complex his business is but I won't be suprised if his business is domiciled in places like Bermuda, Dubai known to be tax havens. You be shocked to see that where the business is domiciled has nothing but a letter box and a receptionist at most. His tax planner did a good job.
However, that company will not be exempted from VAT.
For HMRC part of transfer pricing wahala get a good tax consultant they will tidy up your transfer pricing documentation.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 10:40pm On Dec 11, 2023
missjekyll:
Come back , Zahra. 😃.

Does he (his company) pay every single kobo in tax for ALL the earnings in the UK?
The answer is YES.
This non dom argument get as e be.
So you, MissJekyll. Let’s assume that your grandfather in Nigeria left you 20,000,000 naira.
You open up a small Ankara company in Gusau.
You employ people. They work for your company. Your company in Gusau makes profit. Your company pays ALL taxes to the FIRS in Nigeria.

The same You, MissJekyll, having moved to the UK, you used the money you earned in the UK to open up a zobo factory in Bath or Cornwall.

Your zobo company employs British people and provided jobs for British people. Your zobo company pays ALL its taxes to the HMRC.

Then along comes Labour Candidate who says that to raise money in order to fund UK schools and to pay Benefits to UK citizens and to increase the salaries of UK GPs, you MUST pay taxes on ALL your company profits in Gusau, Nigeria to the UK govt, in addition of all the taxes you have paid to the FIRS in Nigeria.
In other words, your Zobo factory in Bath pays taxes to HMRC only, whereas your Ankara company in Gusau is expected to pay taxes to both the FIRS and the HMRC.

Which kind sense be that?

So much for Labour wanting to fund the UK from non dom status taxes.

Give me a break!

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 10:46pm On Dec 11, 2023
missjekyll:

You still never take me to the dead thread ohhh… I have been searching through all my mentions.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 10:53pm On Dec 11, 2023
homole:
Hello House, as a dependent, looking to switch to a health and care visa as the main applicant is it mandatory I do a test to prove your knowledge of English for a health and care worker visa, Bear in mind I have a Higher National Diploma. Your suggestions will be appreciated.

Yes. You do need to proof your competency in the English Language.
Option 1: Register & write IELTS.
Option 2: Get your OND/HND transcripts and certificates. Get a letter from your school in Nigeria to attest that English was the medium of Instruction. Create an account on the UK NARIC (I think they cal it ECCTISS now or so).
Do a comparison of your HND/OND. Upload the attestation letter from your school. If it’s comparable to a UK English ( I think B2 they call it), then you are sorted. Use that to proof your English and apply for the visa.

If you require any further help, come back here. We are here to help.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by idee91: 11:13pm On Dec 11, 2023
Hello everyone, please what courier or logistics company would you recommend to send a phone to Abuja from UK ? Kindly recommend those that offer a fair rate

(1) (2) (3) ... (362) (363) (364) (365) (366) (367) (368) ... (553) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3

Viewing this topic: divinegrace4me, muzzling17(f) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.