Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,195 members, 7,818,651 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:47 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (364) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (470781 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (361) (362) (363) (364) (365) (366) (367) ... (542) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 4:31pm On Dec 11, 2023
a working system with consequences for actions taken

Zahra29:

What stopped you?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 4:36pm On Dec 11, 2023
ReesheesuKnack:

Imagine….. na you break law, na you still wan come claim say black conductor do wrong.
You are in the wrong.

before we pass judgment on him, I don't think he has finished the entire story
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 4:45pm On Dec 11, 2023
You always amaze me

Someone freely told a story, started and finished the story... and is being corrected so he can learn from his mistakes

You reply stating you don't think he has finished the entire story..... you want him to add Jara??

lol.. amazing stuff..

I'm sure if the race was switched and it was the white conductor giving him the penalty charge, it would have been "the white conductor is racist" grin

Goke7:

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 4:47pm On Dec 11, 2023
profemebee:
You always amaze me

Someone freely told a story, started and finished the story... and is being corrected so he can learn from his mistakes

You reply stating you don't think he has finished the entire story.....

lol.. amazing stuff..

I'm sure if the race was switched and it was the white conductor giving him the penalty charge, it would have been "the white conductor is racist" grin

ok finish him then

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 4:53pm On Dec 11, 2023
Of course, I never expected you guys to say I was right. It was an experience that opened a window into the mindset of the white owners of this land and the black immigrants who have been given the privilege of settled status via ILR. It's your black colleague in the office you should fear more, not the white.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 4:57pm On Dec 11, 2023
Goke7:

Lol @judgement. Now I understand why people bring their issues here and say it happened to their uncle, brother, sister, neighbour, cousin etc... never themselves! Its the judgement they afraid of... Well, I'm an Edo man and we nor dey fear judgement.
It's all in the past now anyway.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 5:05pm On Dec 11, 2023
ehizario2012:

Lol @judgement. Now I understand why people bring their issues here and say it happened to their uncle, brother, sister, neighbour, cousin etc... never themselves! Its the judgement they afraid of... Well, I'm an Edo man and we nor dey fear judgement.

someone even asked a question about whether you contested the ticket and what was the outcome, I was waiting for your reply on that before all the gbas gbos left right and centre.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 5:06pm On Dec 11, 2023
ehizario2012:

Whether Edo man. Lagos man. Or Sheffield man.
You were wrong.

You even implied that the ticket inspector stuck to the rules because he was BLACK.
And you even went on to insinuate that if it was somewhere else, you would have physically assaulted the inspector, for doing their lawful job.

Bro. You were wrong. Plain & simple.

13 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Blurpy: 5:07pm On Dec 11, 2023
Thanks
Zahra29:

Yes, if it's a sponsored health and care role
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 5:19pm On Dec 11, 2023
I submit that comparing wales and england is comparing apples to oranges. They are 2 nations with entirely different demographics and budgeting priorities.
In any case , its probably best left to Scottish or Welsh Nigerians if there are any on the thread.You seem to be repeating daily mail headlines ( correct me if I m wrong)

What would be fairer is to compare the same nation (England) under the labour party and the conservatives.

As to taxes, it is only fair that people who make more should pay more taxes. Lord Rothermere (owner of the daily times a billionaire) pays No taxes in the UK. The same uk he has based his business in and freely uses UK services being paid for taxpayers like you and i. This is just 1 example. There are thousands more.

Taxing the rich will raise more money too for social services .Its simple mathematics, 40 % of £5000 is less than 40% of 1 million.

I heartily endorse this policy. Everybody should pay their share towards the growth of the country.
The government should tax them first before coming to me for more money.

ReesheesuKnack:

You are beginning to sound like Nigerian Governors. A PDP governor will be performing woefully in his state, he will not be doing what Governors are meant to do. If you ask him, he will point the fingers at the APC President as the cause.

Same applies to an ANPP Governor. This Governor will not pay salaries. Not pay pensioners. This Governor will use millions and millions and millions to sponsor pilgrimages. Sponsor mass weddings. Build new mosques. Sponsor quaran recitation programmes, sponsor feeding during Ramadan. This same Governor will not build or improve a single Govt Sec Schoo or primary school. If you want to hold him to ransom, he will point the blame at the PDP president at the centre.

Question: Has the Labour government in Wales utilised the ‘meagre’ resources they get from Westminster to better the lives of the Welsh voters (on issues that are within the powers of the devolved governments)?
No…. They would rather pursue useless 20mph speed limits.

Has the SNP utilised all they get from Westminster to better the lives of the Scots?
No, they would rather spend hundreds of hours pursuing phantom gender bills. And Nicola & her hubby will be using money to buy motorhomes.

I am not saying we Tories are messiahs. Never. I am not saying we Tories don’t have useless folks amongst us. Never.
All I am saying is, you stop this idea of portraying Tories as bad and Labour as messianic.

Imagine your way of raising money (according to you) is to tax the hell out of rich people, as though it is a crime to be genuinely rich. It amounts to poor understanding of Economics & capitalism to think that the best way a government can raise money is to tax the hell out of rich people.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 5:27pm On Dec 11, 2023
Goke7:

someone even asked a question about whether you contested the ticket and what was the outcome, I was waiting for your reply on that before all the gbas gbos left right and centre.

Contest? Me that just entered the country and was still trying to find my bearing. Lol. Thank God it was N1k to 1£ then, I just converted N50k on lemonade and paid via card right there and told him when he returned to check new passengers that joined. I could pay 50% before 21 days. I dey protect my record abeg.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 5:33pm On Dec 11, 2023
profemebee:
You always amaze me

You reply stating you don't think he has finished the entire story..... you want him to add Jara??

lol.. amazing stuff..

I laugh @ racism? What's racism? It's in all of us, that's why we were uncomfortable when Fulani herdsmen tried to take our lands through Ruga, that's why there was Ghana must go. Every man is racist by nature, take it or leave it so I'm not bothered by that.

I passed through two white people without stress, they must have seen something that made them let me pass, they didn't even tell me I should have bought a ticket before boarding! They just collected my £10 and gave change with a smile... I later read d rules and understood that tickets should be purchased before boarding etc... but I'm sure those whites would not have booked me for not buying tickets especially when they saw my family. But this privileged black guy wan oppress new immigrant. I laugh.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 5:35pm On Dec 11, 2023
justwise:

Any idea the number of immigrants who pay for ihs, NI and tax but hardly use the NHS?

How much does British people on universal credit all their lives contribute to the system?

The system seems to be in so much pressure when it comes to immigrants but Ukrainers came in the system accommodated them, the govt even pay families to take them in.

Average British citizen are so ignorant of their immigration rules and policies that is why politicians take advantage of that.

They will argue that their great grand parent have been paying tax for generations. So they deserve the credit. Well I don’t blame them. Until we build were we come from and make it attractive and economical viable. We will keep explaining tire tire

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 5:35pm On Dec 11, 2023
Dear ehizario, contest every wrongly issued fine. So long as you are sure of your ground( which is easy as everything is written down), CONTEST IT. Never back down.

You do have to be in the right though for this approach to work. Sadly ,in this case you were not. Always buy a ticket before you board the train. Presumed farejumping has ended peoples professional careers in this country.

A consultant anaesthetist went down this year for this. I blame him as he could well afford his own oyster card.
ehizario2012:

Contest? Me that just entered the country and was still trying to find my bearing. Lol. Thank God it was N1k to 1£ then, I just converted N50k on lemonade and paid via card right there and told him when he returned to check new passengers that joined. I could pay 50% before 21 days. I dey protect my record abeg.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 5:36pm On Dec 11, 2023
missjekyll:
I submit that comparing wales and england is comparing apples to oranges. They are 2 nations with entirely different demographics and budgeting priorities.
In any case , its probably best left to Scottish or Welsh Nigerians if there are any on the thread.You seem to be repeating daily mail headlines ( correct me if I m wrong)

What would be fairer is to compare the same nation (England) under the labour party and the conservatives.

As to taxes, it is only fair that people who make more should pay more taxes. Lord Rothermere (owner of the daily times a billionaire) pays No taxes in the UK. The same uk he has based his business in and freely uses UK services being paid for taxpayers like you and i. This is just 1 example. There are thousands more.

Taxing the rich will raise more money too for social services .Its simple mathematics, 40 % of £5000 is less than 40% of 1 million.

I heartily endorse this policy. Everybody should pay their share towards the growth of the country.
The government should tax them first before coming to me for more money.

You see, my sister. (Probably) unlike you, the Daily Mail does not control or determine my PoV.
If it is any comfort (to you), I consume the Guardian, the Independent more than o do the Daily Mail or the Daily telegraph.

At least you have not been able to defend the Labour government in Wales.

You said the OWNER of the daily mail pays no taxes in the UK. How about the Business? Does the Daily mail (as a business pay their fair share of taxes? Does the daily mail pay corporation taxes? Is the daily mail a burden to the UK? Does the daily mail provide gainful employment to hundreds of citizens (who may otherwise probably have been without jobs?)

Is your issue with the daily mail (as a company) or with the daily mail major shareholder? Is your problem the company or the person?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 5:37pm On Dec 11, 2023
The conductors definitely must have had an option to use their descretion and accept cash, maybe an unwritten rule among them... But it's but it's by discretion. If there was no room for flexibility, those white conductors would have booked me. Take it ore leave it. There are laws, there are traditions.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 5:39pm On Dec 11, 2023
Zahra29:

What stopped you?

And there's a ready made response for this comment o, I grew up in Ibadan. grin

But I let it slide.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 5:42pm On Dec 11, 2023
ehizario2012:

I laugh @ racism? What's racism? It's in all of us, that's why we were uncomfortable when Fulani herdsmen tried to take our lands through Ruga, that's why there was Ghana must go. Every man is racist by nature, take it or leave it so I'm not bothered by that.

I passed through two white people without stress, they must have seen something that made them let me pass, they didn't even tell me I should have bought a ticket before boarding! They just collected my £10 and gave change with a smile... I later read d rules and understood that tickets should be purchased before boarding etc... but I'm sure those whites would not have booked me for not buying tickets especially when they saw my family. But this privileged black guy wan oppress new immigrant. I laugh.

Balderdash!!

The white ticket inspectors (who in All honesty failed to do their jobs properly) were probably too scared to apply the rules to you because of fear you could play the race card.

Plus, the white men looked at your face and saw that you resembled someone who could do to them what you implicitly implied you would do to that Black ticket inspector (re: last sentence of your original post). So they just ‘let sleeping dog lie’.

But that black ticket inspector, he saw you, looked at your face and e no scare am. He has probably handled rough people (in that same Lagos you quoted previously). So he applied the rules.

12 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 5:45pm On Dec 11, 2023
ehizario2012:
The conductors definitely must have had an option to use their descretion and accept cash, maybe an unwritten rule among them... But it's but it's by discretion. If there was no room for flexibility, those white conductors would have booked me. Take it ore leave it. There are laws, there are traditions.

Please stop this narrative you are painting, insinuating that it’s black people (ticket inspectors) that do over do.
Accept that you were wrong (ignorance is not an excuse before the law). And learn from the experience. And move on.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 5:45pm On Dec 11, 2023
ReesheesuKnack:

Balderdash!!

The white ticket inspectors (who in All honesty failed to do their jobs properly) were probably too scared to apply the rules to you because of fear you could play the race card.

Plus, the white men looked at your face and saw that you resembled someone who could do to them what you implicitly implied you would do to that Black ticket inspector (re: last sentence of your original post). So they just ‘let sleeping dog lie’.

But that black ticket inspector, he saw you, looked at your face and e no scare am. He has probably handled rough people (in that same Lagos you quoted previously). So he applied the rules.

All the synonyms of balderdash apply. Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 5:46pm On Dec 11, 2023
Nearly everyone is telling you that you were wrong. We never agree on any subject here usually.
The conductors do retain a lot of discretion as to who to issue fines to. 1 person would have probably passed (as you did on 2 occasions)
but you with all your family ? Thats at least 4 seats. He probably couldn't have let that pass

1. Significant financial loss to the company (4 presumed fare dodgers)
2. Deterrent ( he may have felt you were a repeat fare dodger because you now had other people with you)

He was not out to get you. He was just doing his job so that he could go home to a hot cup of chocolate and marshmallows
ehizario2012:

12 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 5:47pm On Dec 11, 2023
ReesheesuKnack:

Please stop this narrative you are painting, insinuating that it’s black people (ticket inspectors) that do over do.
Accept that you were wrong (ignorance is not an excuse before the law). And learn from the experience. And move on.

I didn't take the N50k from your pocket to pay nw, I spent millions out of pocket coming to the UK because of the bastards we have ruling us in Nigeria. 50k isn't my problem.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 5:49pm On Dec 11, 2023
missjekyll:
Nearly everyone is telling you that you were wrong. We never agree on any subject here usually.
The conductors do retain a lot of discretion as to who to issue fines to. 1 person would have probably passed (as you did on 2 occasions)
but you with all your family ? Thats at least 4 seats. He probably couldn't have let that pass

1. Significant financial loss to the company (4 presumed fare dodgers)
2. Deterrent ( he may have felt you were a repeat fare dodger because you now had other people with you)

He was not out to get you. He was just doing his job so that he could go home to a hot cup of chocolate and marshmallows

Thank you for your subtle admonition. I appreciate it and it's in the past now.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 6:03pm On Dec 11, 2023
1 bottle of whatever your fav drink is ....

Thanks for the truth....

ReesheesuKnack:

Whether Edo man. Lagos man. Or Sheffield man.
You were wrong.

You even implied that the ticket inspector stuck to the rules because he was BLACK.
And you even went on to insinuate that if it was somewhere else, you would have physically assaulted the inspector, for doing their lawful job.

Bro. You were wrong. Plain & simple.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 6:06pm On Dec 11, 2023
yet again, you keep digging

One major difference between a country with systems and a country that is broken are the laws...

You mentioning race etc instead of having some form of accountability for your actions is funny and sad at the same time

Look in the mirror sometimes....

ehizario2012:

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 6:07pm On Dec 11, 2023
it is you with this mindset and mentality that should be feared

ehizario2012:
Of course, I never expected you guys to say I was right. It was an experience that opened a window into the mindset of the white owners of this land and the black immigrants who have been given the privilege of settled status via ILR. It's your black colleague in the office you should fear more, not the white.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 6:10pm On Dec 11, 2023
ReesheesuKnack:

Balderdash!!

easy please, back home in Nigeria, we are not used to reading signs or directions at motor parks or whatever mode of land transportation, we just board and pay. I have seen lots of our folks make similar errors here and I have had to correct them too. That was why I was not too quick to reprimand him, He was still new and since on previous occasions he was allowed to go, he just assumed and never had the motive not to pay for his transportation ( we must all recognise that). He has even gone ahead to admit he did pay the fine. I think we are just too touchy on the race thing. Did he intentionally want to break the law? We are beginning to take things too seriously here and we all need to calm down haba

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 6:11pm On Dec 11, 2023
lol.. people have a problem with fulani herdsmen because they take lands that don't belong to them and also their cattle destroy crops that have been sown with sweat, blood and tears (people's livelihood)

So stop twisting facts.. it has nothing to do with Racism or tribalism

There are people abroad that happily give their lands to these same fulani to take care of the land until they finally have plans to build on it

Like i stated, look in the mirror.. you're the problem here..

Accept when you're wrong.. thats growth.. thats life

ehizario2012:

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 6:12pm On Dec 11, 2023
You should be replying him and telling him the truth.. instead of trying to get him to add Jara to the story

Goke7:

easy please, back home in Nigeria, we are not used to reading signs or directions at motor parks or whatever mode of land transportation, we just board and pay. I have seen lots of our folks make similar errors here and I have had to correct them too. That was why I was not too quick to reprimand him, He was still new and since on previous occasions he was allowed to go, he just assumed and never had the motive not to pay for his transportation ( we must all recognise that). He has even gone ahead to admit he did pay the fine. I think we are just too touchy on the race thing. Did he intentionally want to break the law? We are beginning to take things too seriously here and we all need to calm down haba

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 6:14pm On Dec 11, 2023
profemebee:
You should be replying him and telling him the truth.. instead of trying to get him to add Jara to the story

did he intentionally want to break the law? did he pay his fare or not on the previous occasions?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 6:30pm On Dec 11, 2023
To sum up our discussion this afternoon, Tories are bad 👎. They know it and have accepted defeat in the next election.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tory-boss-accused-giving-up-31631600

As to the owner of the Daily mail, why don't you answer all those questions yourself? I have said he doesn't pay uk taxes
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/29/non-dom-status-claimed-by-800-british-born-taxpayers-living-in-uk,

where is your evidence that he does?

People , I ve found a Tory . Please direct your questions on the recent changes to him/her.
I have a few for him/her as well....

why are your plans for immigrants like all of us on this thread so vindictive and punishing? Why have you spent 300 million on this Rwanda fairytale with nothing to show for it?
Why are you pushing to leave the European Court of Human Rights ? What other terrors do you have planned for the hapless inhabitants of these Isles?

Why are the railways expensive yet cr*p?

why is the NHS now rubbish?

Why are schools collapsing literally?

Why are prisons now so full to the brim that criminals are being released early?where are our bobbies on the beat?

Why are criminal courts backed up to 2 years even for serious crimes?

Why can i no longer swim in the sea at dymchurch because soakaway is being poured into the ocean?

Why are there more foodbanks than mcdonalds?

What have you done well in the past 13 years?

Pray tell, inquiring minds on this thread want to know

ReesheesuKnack:

You see, my sister. (Probably) unlike you, the Daily Mail does not control or determine my PoV.
If it is any comfort (to you), I consume the Guardian, the Independent more than o do the Daily Mail or the Daily telegraph.

At least you have not been able to defend the Labour government in Wales.

You said the OWNER of the daily mail pays no taxes in the UK. How about the Business? Does the Daily mail (as a business pay their fair share of taxes? Does the daily mail pay corporation taxes? Is the daily mail a burden to the UK? Does the daily mail provide gainful employment to hundreds of citizens (who may otherwise probably have been without jobs?)

Is your issue with the daily mail (as a company) or with the daily mail major shareholder? Is your problem the company or the person?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 6:35pm On Dec 11, 2023
1. Ignorance and laws don't go together unfortunately

2. You never corrected him for using the "migrant" tag for the man just doing his job

3. You said we shouldn't judge him but he quickly judged a man just doing his job and gave him a "migrant " tag

My bro... no be so

Goke7:

did he intentionally want to break the law? did he pay his fare or not on the previous occasions?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (361) (362) (363) (364) (365) (366) (367) ... (542) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: wallg123 and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.