Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,396 members, 7,812,162 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:18 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (363) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (460096 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) (365) (366) ... (531) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 10:15am On Dec 11, 2023
ReesheesuKnack:
Apparently, some things that are very common-sensical aren’t.

The recent rules aim a cutting NET migration. For visa holders who are already in-country, the rules that will apply to them are the rules that were in place AT THE TIME OF ORIGINAL VISA APPROVAL.
The rules can only be applied to New Arrivals, from New Applications. Honestly, people should stop all these mindless postulations.

There is precedence. When the Tier-1 (HSMP) rules were changed, the courts ruled that the rules can not be applied to persons already granted on previous rules.

If we are going by what was written in that link shared to explain the new policies, there is nothing concrete to support @the bolded, we can only assume that will be the case when they make up their minds, for now, they haven't.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 10:35am On Dec 11, 2023
ReesheesuKnack:

The recent rules aim a cutting NET migration. For visa holders who are already in-country, the rules that will apply to them are the rules that were in place AT THE TIME OF ORIGINAL VISA APPROVAL.
The rules can only be applied to New Arrivals, from New Applications. Honestly, people should stop all these mindless postulations.

There is precedence. When the Tier-1 (HSMP) rules were changed, the courts ruled that the rules can not be applied to persons already granted on previous rules.

..and family visa applicants? Which rule apply to them?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 11:04am On Dec 11, 2023
ReesheesuKnack:

Lol, it's not just about common sense. Even the government is still trying to work out the fine detail and achieve balance between cutting down migration rigourously and staying within the law.

Besides the new rules can absolutely be applied to people already in the country. For example a student visa holder who switches to care after spring will definitely come under the new care dependant restrictions.

Where it's grey at the moment is what rules the renewals will be subject to, to which I assume that they will come under the old rules, especially for family visas.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 11:57am On Dec 11, 2023
Goodenoch:

You didn’t say anything about Wales.

Unfortunately, MissJekyll will still say the Tories are the problem. She is very unlikely to say anything about Wales. Someone who said the UK economy was booming as at the time Gordon Brown was kicked out will very likely not see anything wrong in Wales where the reds have held sway since forever.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Poanan: 12:18pm On Dec 11, 2023
Goodenoch:

Your question is an irrelevant one.

Classic red herring fallacy.

Allow him answer. People are shouting of controlled immigration not knowing this person shouting came when they opened the flood gate of UK with his dependent under a visa some people talked down on in this nairaland. I am not saying it is fair. However, it is hypocrisy to turn back to talk down on same visa you and dependent came into Uk with and call it controlled immigration. Meanwhile you came in with the recent flood gate that was opened in the UK that people accused of overloading the system. He is a perfect black man.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Progressivegee: 12:38pm On Dec 11, 2023
Goodenoch:

It’s not correct. ILR eligibility is calculated based on time that a person has worked in the UK, and their salary over the period and at the time of application. Number of employers is irrelevant.

https://www.gov.uk/indefinite-leave-to-remain-tier-2-t2-skilled-worker-visa

This ILR calculator can also be of help to check eligibility

https://immigrationstory.uk/en-gb/tools/ilr-calculator#calculator-questionnaire

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by heroshark(m): 12:43pm On Dec 11, 2023
Poanan:

Someone said he is looking for a care job or an immediate job to make ends meet and u brought up write up on skills and how irrelevant his education his. I don't understand ....

Maybe if you've taken out time to read the guys message you will understand.

The person asked in quote "So my question is, what form of trade or occupation can he pivot into before it's too late?"

There is no place the poster mentioned that he is looking for a carejob, maybe you should read before responding

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 12:45pm On Dec 11, 2023
lavida001:

The solution is for us to contribute to the development of where we come from. Just imagine so idiots that are here seeing how things are run and done yet still supporting Tinubu. Make dem continue one day we will have nowhere to call home.
Bro make we just focus on building ourselves and our families and leave some things behind. You wan build country wey dey carry Toke Makinwa go global climate conference?
That na even if them go even allow you enter after you land 😂

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 12:54pm On Dec 11, 2023
Poanan:

Allow him answer. People are shouting of controlled immigration not knowing this person shouting came when they opened the flood gate of UK with his dependent under a visa some people talked down on in this nairaland. I am not saying it is fair. However, it is hypocrisy to turn back to talk down on same visa you and dependent came into Uk with and call it controlled immigration. Meanwhile you came in with the recent flood gate that was opened in the UK that people accused of overloading the system. He is a perfect black man.
I don’t think the poster said anything mean nor condescending towards new immigrants. They spoke from an angle of understanding of the new policy and not in agreement per se….. which is similar to what others here have been echoing. Your constant demand for when he will move out of the country just dey come off like say you get am for mind abi he write another thing wey we no see?

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 1:09pm On Dec 11, 2023
like heroshark stated, he doesn't seem to read to understand or doesn't take his time to read to understand..

where and how did anyone here say anything mean or condescending??

Someone said people here on settled status are saying this and that.. . I don't have settled status.. i paid all the IHS Visa fees last year.. i'm also affected.. but that won't stop me from being logical and speaking the truth..

Countries will continue to review migration policies from time to time after analysing the necessary data and how it impacts their previous policies.. and they have the right to..

Adapt and plan around it.. Planning can be fighting the policy, Accommodating and adjusting, Looking for a new Japa country etc..

At no point has someone ever condescended on anyone in the past 72hours we've been discussing...

How you keep going on and on about a country that has official visa data from year end Dec 2022, June 2023 and Sept 2023 and it all shows positive trend and increase all across board beats me....

Visa approvals as high as 95% on a Year-to-Year basis and you still go on and on about this and that.. on a topic that can be measured

Wthhhhhhhh!!!!

kwakudtraveller:

I don’t think the poster said anything mean nor condescending towards new immigrants. They spoke from an angle of understanding of the new policy and not in agreement per se….. which is similar to what others here have been echoing. Your constant demand for when he will move out of the country just dey come off like say you get am for mind abi he write another thing wey we no see?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 1:38pm On Dec 11, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

Bro make we just focus on building ourselves and our families and leave some things behind. You wan build country wey dey carry Toke Makinwa go global climate conference?
That na even if them go even allow you enter after you land 😂

Na wetin make finally lose small hope wey i get for Nigeria this year be this

😂

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 1:41pm On Dec 11, 2023
profemebee:
like heroshark stated, he doesn't seem to read to understand or doesn't take his time to read to understand..

where and how did anyone here say anything mean or condescending??

Someone said people here on settled status are saying this and that.. . I don't have settled status.. i paid all the IHS Visa fees last year.. i'm also affected.. but that won't stop me from being logical and speaking the truth..

Countries will continue to review migration policies from time to time after analysing the necessary data and how it impacts their previous policies.. and they have the right to..

Adapt and plan around it.. Planning can be fighting the policy, Accommodating and adjusting, Looking for a new Japa country etc..

At no point has someone ever condescended on anyone in the past 72hours we've been discussing...

How you keep going on and on about a country that has official visa data from year end Dec 2022, June 2023 and Sept 2023 and it all shows positive indices and increase all across board beats me....

Visa approvals as high as 95% on a Year-to-Year basis and you still go on and on about this and that.. on a topic that can be measured

Wthhhhhhhh!!!!

It’s looking like transferred agression. I saw another post that said people with ILR have turned this into a competition. I don tire Lol

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 1:43pm On Dec 11, 2023
hustla:

Na wetin make finally lose small hope wey i get for Nigeria this year be this

😂
The country na just serious cruise 😂😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 1:53pm On Dec 11, 2023

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Blurpy: 1:58pm On Dec 11, 2023
Good afternoon all, I have some questions bordering me , I’m on student visa but soon rounding up my studies . I’m doing a training which will qualify me as a pharmacy technician but I’m hoping to bring in my wife soon. The role falls under the health and care visa but the salary is about 25k max . Would it be possible to bring in a dependent?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 3:25pm On Dec 11, 2023
Yaaaaay! So sweet of you. I support whichever party offers the best hope for the working class AND have a chance of winning at the general election.

if labour stops offering these 2 things , i ll hop off immediately to the party that does offer them.
dustydee:

Please tell me you were selected to run for Labour in the next general election. I do not intend to vote Labour as of now but for you I will. Well done and keep it up.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 3:28pm On Dec 11, 2023
I know you are Lib Dem. I m inviting you to share your policy.
Zahra29:

I think you presume me to be a Tory voter... undecided

The point I made was to counter your statement that the Tories (and lib Dems as it was a coalition) inherited a vibran.t economy.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 3:33pm On Dec 11, 2023
I not only answered your question about wales , i extended it to scotland and northern ireland when i mentioned devolved governments.

Westminster have got the purse strings and with the best will in the world, even the best government in the world cannot deliver without funding.

If you think the economy was bad under Gordon Brown, how would you describe it now and in the past 13 years?

Do you , in all honesty, deserve another win? NO!Absolutely NOT.

ReesheesuKnack:

Unfortunately, MissJekyll will still say the Tories are the problem. She is very unlikely to say anything about Wales. Someone who said the UK economy was booming as at the time Gordon Brown was kicked out will very likely not see anything wrong in Wales where the reds have held sway since forever.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 3:35pm On Dec 11, 2023
missjekyll:
I know you are Lib Dem. I m inviting you to share your policy.

I was literally nicknamed Suellalet on this forum, so I'm not sure what Libdem vibes you're getting from me 😂

Libdem is @dustydee - please come and share your policy grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 3:37pm On Dec 11, 2023
Blurpy:
Good afternoon all, I have some questions bordering me , I’m on student visa but soon rounding up my studies . I’m doing a training which will qualify me as a pharmacy technician but I’m hoping to bring in my wife soon. The role falls under the health and care visa but the salary is about 25k max . Would it be possible to bring in a dependent?

Yes, if it's a sponsored health and care role
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 4:01pm On Dec 11, 2023
Amazoner01:

You may be right. While I understand the intention behind the policies as it is necessary for govt to safeguard the interests of the citizen.However, it's funny to see the support these policies receive from Nigerians with settled status in and out of Nairaland, endorsing these measures, perceiving them as beneficial, despite the grievances expressed by the British citizens themselves on some of these policies that affect them. Most people migrate overseas in search of better opportunities, and this includes these individuals as well regardless of the route be it working or studying. People just like to create competition where there’s none.

Hmmm... In my first week in this country, I took a train to Rotherham from Sheffield and paid £5.6 in cash inside the train, on my way back I paid the same £5.6 in cash. The conductors were white, a lady to, and a guy fro. It was only me that day, I went to confirm our accomodation.

Following day, I packed my family and all my children inside train to Rotherham, got there as usual, met a white conductor outside the train and told him I'll be paying cash inside the train he said no problem. Lo and behold, the conductor I saw was a black man, he asked for tickets and I said I am paying cash. Next thing, this black man gave me a ticket of £100 for not buying a ticket before boarding the train... My protests and samples of receipts of previous journeys fell on deaf ears. I felt so embarrassed with my kids. That's how we do ourselves, over sabi na e dey kill some of us. Over do!!! He definitely came in as a migrant too! If na Lagos we dey, I for use something do am.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 4:01pm On Dec 11, 2023
I had no idea dustydee was libdem. See this is why we encourage respectful debate supported by facts.

Your aim is to get people to see your viewpoint and to see their viewpoint as well.

I disagree with the 2 posters discussing about immigration.
1. Everybody is welcome here . I dont think inviting anyone to leave is nice.

2. Using the bigotry in Nigerian politics as a basis for "understanding " and supporting bigotry here is fallacious. Where you were born shouldn't matter, it should only be where you live and pay taxes.Nigeria is not a standard for anything. I was a bigot back in university but having lived all over Nigeria and now here, i take people on a one-to-one basis. People are people all over the world.

Random Interesting fact
Boris Johnsons grandfather was Turkish, he was also born in the US.
Prince Philip was greek. The Windsors are german.
Zahra29:

I was literally nicknamed Suellalet on this forum, so I'm not sure what Libdem vibes you're getting from me 😂

Libdem is @dustydee - please come and share your policy grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 4:10pm On Dec 11, 2023
But the rotherham train station has ticket machines, why were tickets not purchased at the station?
You are allowed to board without tickets if no ticket machines or was broken and no station staff. Then you pay to the conductor.

Did you contest the ticket? What was the outcome?
ehizario2012:

Hmmm... In my first week in this country, I took a train to Rotherham from Sheffield and paid £5.6 in cash inside the train, on my way back I paid the same £5.6 in cash. The conductors were white, a lady to, and a guy fro. It was only me that day, I went to confirm our accomodation.

Following day, I packed my family and all my children inside train to Rotherham, got there as usual, met a white conductor outside the train and told him I'll be paying cash inside the train he said no problem. Lo and behold, the conductor I saw was a black man, he asked for tickets and I said I am paying cash. Next thing, this black man gave me a ticket of £100 for not buying a ticket before boarding the train... My protests and samples of receipts of previous journeys fell on deaf ears. I felt so embarrassed with my kids. That's how we do ourselves, over sabi na e dey kill some of us. Over do!!! He definitely came in as a migrant too! If na Lagos we dey, I for use something do am.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 4:16pm On Dec 11, 2023
ehizario2012:

The conductor did nothing wrong, you made a mistake.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 4:18pm On Dec 11, 2023
ehizario2012:

grin you for show am oppa gangnam style
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 4:18pm On Dec 11, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

The country na just serious cruise 😂😂

It's sad, really sad

Smh

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 4:21pm On Dec 11, 2023
missjekyll:
I not only answered your question about wales , i extended it to scotland and northern ireland when i mentioned devolved governments.

Westminster have got the purse strings and with the best will in the world, even the best government in the world cannot deliver without funding.

If you think the economy was bad under Gordon Brown, how would you describe it now and in the past 13 years?

Do you , in all honesty, deserve another win? NO!Absolutely NOT.

You are beginning to sound like Nigerian Governors. A PDP governor will be performing woefully in his state, he will not be doing what Governors are meant to do. If you ask him, he will point the fingers at the APC President as the cause.

Same applies to an ANPP Governor. This Governor will not pay salaries. Not pay pensioners. This Governor will use millions and millions and millions to sponsor pilgrimages. Sponsor mass weddings. Build new mosques. Sponsor quaran recitation programmes, sponsor feeding during Ramadan. This same Governor will not build or improve a single Govt Sec Schoo or primary school. If you want to hold him to ransom, he will point the blame at the PDP president at the centre.

Question: Has the Labour government in Wales utilised the ‘meagre’ resources they get from Westminster to better the lives of the Welsh voters (on issues that are within the powers of the devolved governments)?
No…. They would rather pursue useless 20mph speed limits.

Has the SNP utilised all they get from Westminster to better the lives of the Scots?
No, they would rather spend hundreds of hours pursuing phantom gender bills. And Nicola & her hubby will be using money to buy motorhomes.

I am not saying we Tories are messiahs. Never. I am not saying we Tories don’t have useless folks amongst us. Never.
All I am saying is, you stop this idea of portraying Tories as bad and Labour as messianic.

Imagine your way of raising money (according to you) is to tax the hell out of rich people, as though it is a crime to be genuinely rich. It amounts to poor understanding of Economics & capitalism to think that the best way a government can raise money is to tax the hell out of rich people.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 4:23pm On Dec 11, 2023
ehizario2012:

Imagine….. na you break law, na you still wan come claim say black conductor do wrong.
You are in the wrong.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 4:25pm On Dec 11, 2023
missjekyll:
I had no idea dustydee was libdem. See this is why we encourage respectful debate supported by facts.

I was joking oh. I do not know what party @dustydee supports, same way you don't know what party I'll be voting for . I think it's irrelevant to the debate.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 4:27pm On Dec 11, 2023
if some of us talk now, na "oppressed mindset" or "because you have settled status" that they will reply with....

"he definitely came in as a migrant" is funny .. cheesy ..

ReesheesuKnack:

Imagine….. na you break law, na you still wan come claim say black conductor do wrong.
You are in the wrong.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 4:30pm On Dec 11, 2023
ehizario2012:

That's how we do ourselves, over sabi na e dey kill some of us. Over do!!! He definitely came in as a migrant too! If[b] na Lagos we dey, I for use something do am. [/b]

What stopped you?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) (365) (366) ... (531) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Advision, Jannyfranc, boerzem, anne05(f), AgentXxx(m), heroshark(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.