Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,713 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:34 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (48) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (471078 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (542) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Franzese: 11:13pm On Jun 07, 2023
Dear Family,

Please I just got to Portsmouth as a dependant Partner, I need a job ASAP as bills are already creeping in.

Any job connect in Portsmouth, Southampton or Isle of Wight will be appreciated.

Thanks 👍🏾
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lolli2pop: 11:26pm On Jun 07, 2023
To the guy who wrote a his story about traveling with Egyptair, well done boss your writing skill is exceptional. You have just reminded me to also share a current predicament loll

Issue 1: Guys please i left my bag on the Elizabeth line. Its been almost 3 weeks now since I filled the online form . Does anyone by any chance know what further steps I can take? The contents of the bag are mainly a very expensive laptop and my bank cards.(note- since the bag was left on the train there hasn’t been any fraudulent transactions with my cards). Please i’d appreciate any further ideas.

Issue 2: I bought a ticket from an agent whose number I found on google yesterday. The agent told me the ticket would be issued within 24-48 hours. Up till now I haven’t received the tickets. In the past, i have always received my tickets immediately. Should i be worried? Is this normal? Does anyone have an experience of receiving their tickets days after making payments to an agent? Also I used a credit card for the purchase(American express), does anyone by any chance know if amex would refund me if perhaps i have fallen for a scam.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:33pm On Jun 07, 2023
Lolli2pop:
To the guy who wrote a his story about traveling with Egyptair, well done boss your writing skill is exceptional. You have just reminded me to also share a current predicament loll

Issue 1: Guys please i left my bag on the Elizabeth line. Its been almost 3 weeks now since I filled the online form . Does anyone by any chance know what further steps I can take? The contents of the bag are mainly a very expensive laptop and my bank cards.(note- since the bag was left on the train there hasn’t been any fraudulent transactions with my cards). Please i’d appreciate any further ideas.

Issue 2: I bought a ticket from an agent whose number I found on google yesterday. The agent told me the ticket would be issued within 24-48 hours. Up till now I haven’t received the tickets. In the past, i have always received my tickets immediately. Should i be worried? Is this normal? Does anyone have an experience of receiving their tickets days after making payments to an agent? Also I used a credit card for the purchase(American express), does anyone by any chance know if amex would refund me if perhaps i have fallen for a scam.

Issue 1 - The only chance you have of recovery, is if it was handed over by the new owner........ Freeze your cards + report them stolen + request new cards .......

Issue 2 - How much did you pay ....... Google ads are full of scammers........ Call the airline to confirm......

This might not be a scam, but never take your chances with Google ads ........

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lightnlife: 11:55pm On Jun 07, 2023
I understand that most lenders allow up to 10% over-payment per annum but the issue raised here isn't the fear of debt, Chrematophobia. It's the fact that first time buyers do not have large deposit reducing their LTV rate and they feel comfortable taking long term mortgages so they can smaller amounts per month but spread it over a longer time.

In the long run, they'll pay more interest on the loan but they seem happy with long term mortgages because they want have money in the pocket for other things each month. Perhaps the reality of a harsh economy + influx of immigrant owners are responsible for this decision.

Na who get more money (disposable) go overpay.

Poanan:

It doesnt work that way you can decide to pay up if you are frightened by the debt.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by tshoboy(m): 12:01am On Jun 08, 2023
Check if the card is a corporate or credit card. Corporate cards won’t contribute to your credit score.
elengine:
People of God oh. Two things that I need your guide on:

1. I work in a multinational company here in the north(smiles) and they are giving me a credit card in my name and to be delivered to my home. My question is, will this card contribute to my credit score even though it is issued through my employer but in my name and my address. The essence of the card is for me to use any time I want to embark on a journey as an auditor. I can also use it to make some purchases as long as it is business related and my employer will be responsible for funding or replenishing it.

2. Marshmallow insurance is asking me to provide my job offer for them to verify the business I do based on the information I provided while filling their policy form. Meanwhile this is coming after 1 month of registration and I have paid like 400 pounds in advance. Now I pay 170 every month for a 2007 honda crv. Do you think I should course their mamas and ask to cancel my policy or I should ignore them. I feel very pained that they are not believing me. They thought everyone is a healthcare worker
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AirBay: 1:02am On Jun 08, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Carry go ........ Nothing to worry about....... Just ensure she returns back 5 months+ ..........

Se person no fit extend visit inside UK? Chai... In canada, extension is the order of the day for 65+only though.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 2:08am On Jun 08, 2023
AirBay:

Se person no fit extend visit inside UK? Chai... In canada, extension is the order of the day for 65+only though.

Nah your ticket money, go feel the heat ........🤣😜

Spend 5 month's+ for UK, another month for Nigeria, then return for another 5 months holiday........

Rinse and repeat.........😁🤣

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jesmond3945: 5:14am On Jun 08, 2023
justwise:

Nigerian girl of 14 years of age?
nope. Adult.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Newbie123: 6:59am On Jun 08, 2023
Good day guys...

Abeg make Una epp me answer this one because na love matter grin grin. I'm hoping someone has had a similar experience.

I'm on a Tier-4 visa and my course ends some time in August/September 2024 (I need to confirm this)

Thing is, I need to know what my chances are of bringing my partner(not married) over for

1) a visit
Or
2) join me permanent.

2 is based on when/if we get married.

For the visit, what do I need please? What steps do I need to take and how long do I have to apply?

Also, if we go down the marriage route, how long do I have to bring my partner in as I've heard things like before 3 months to the end of your course or something.

Abeg make una guide me. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 7:01am On Jun 08, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Nah your ticket money, go feel the heat ........🤣😜

Spend 5 month's+ for UK, another month for Nigeria, then return for another 5 months holiday........

Rinse and repeat.........😁🤣

It's not allowed.

I use to have this impression as well.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by EJIOGBENIMI(m): 7:44am On Jun 08, 2023
I was issued a cheque(Backlays bank) for about 2 months now. Is there any other way to cash it out without visiting the bank?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 7:48am On Jun 08, 2023
Newbie123:
Good day guys...

Abeg make Una epp me answer this one because na love matter grin grin. I'm hoping someone has had a similar experience.

I'm on a Tier-4 visa and my course ends some time in August/September 2024 (I need to confirm this)

Thing is, I need to know what my chances are of bringing my partner(not married) over for

1) a visit
Or
2) join me permanent.

2 is based on when/if we get married.

For the visit, what do I need please? What steps do I need to take and how long do I have to apply?

Also, if we go down the marriage route, how long do I have to bring my partner in as I've heard things like before 3 months to the end of your course or something.

Abeg make una guide me. Thanks

There’s nothing like the bolded.

Go home now or ASAP, get married (assuming you don decide se this is the one 😉 ) and return. She can then apply to be your dependant on your current T-4.

Would strongly suggest attaching additional evidence in her application as well, even though it’s not strictly neccessary. Several of you over time and from your wedding ceremony, for example, would be helpful to show that your relationship is genuine. Shouldn’t matter because the law and (public) Home Office guidance hasn’t changed but better to err on the side of caution.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by deept(m): 7:50am On Jun 08, 2023
EJIOGBENIMI:
I was issued a cheque(Backlays bank) for about 2 months now. Is there any other way to cash it out without visiting the bank?

Depending on the bank and the amount, you could make a cheque deposit by taking a picture via the bank app. Alternatively go to the post office to make the deposit.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 8:47am On Jun 08, 2023
Solumtoya:

Congratulations!

Earliest date you can apply is October 27th. Hope you have passed your "Life in the UK" Test though?

Thank you very much sir.
I haven’t written the test yet.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 9:05am On Jun 08, 2023
Viruses:

It's not allowed.

I use to have this impression as well.

What do you mean ...........

How come my mum spent her 5 year visa, almost sending us bankrupt................

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 9:26am On Jun 08, 2023
Lexusgs430:

How come my mum spent her 5 year visa, almost sending us bankrupt................

Perhaps I have interpreted this wrongly or don't know how it is applied.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Newbie123: 10:14am On Jun 08, 2023
koonbey:

There’s nothing like the bolded.

Go home now or ASAP, get married (assuming you don decide se this is the one 😉 ) and return. She can then apply to be your dependant on your current T-4

Would strongly suggest attaching additional evidence in her application as well, even though it’s not strictly neccessary. Several of you over time and from your wedding ceremony, for example, would be helpful to show that your relationship is genuine. Shouldn’t matter because the law and (public) Home Office guidance hasn’t changed but better to err on the side of caution.

Thanks. Was gonna give it 6 months to be absolutely sure. Just want to be sure that it's not too late then too
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 10:21am On Jun 08, 2023
Lexusgs430:

My friend's Mum stayed for 5 months and 29 days, travelled to Germany and came back after 2 days to stay another few months cheesy

Personally, I do 5 months at a stretch for Grandma. She's even registered at our GP sef. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 10:38am On Jun 08, 2023
jesmond3945:
nope. Adult.

The guy in trouble was not interested in adult, he went for14yrs old, that is the problem here Nigerian or non Nigerian it will land anyone in trouble

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 10:41am On Jun 08, 2023
MayCar:

For 3 weeks but she wants to stay for celebrate her granddaughter’s birthday with us

She may likely get away with it if not questioned at POE but renewing that visa could be challenging.

Staying longer that stated in visa application is breach of visa rules and returning back shortly after long stay is also questionable
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 10:43am On Jun 08, 2023
EJIOGBENIMI:

Use the bank app and scam the check, you will be credited immediately
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Bourne007(m): 10:50am On Jun 08, 2023
It's just an overview that you shouldn't make youkay home. Visitors can as long as each visit does not exceed the maximum period for that visit, normally 6 months.

If they however suspect anything with the number of visits made over the past 12 months they will assess if the visitor is, in effect, living in the UK through frequent or successive visits or making the youkay their main home. One of the evidences they can gather is if the visitor is registered to a GP, sends kids to schools etc

Viruses:

Perhaps I have interpreted this wrongly or don't know how it is applied.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by giselle237: 11:04am On Jun 08, 2023
Solumtoya:
My friend's Mum stayed for 5 months and 29 days, travelled to Germany and came back after 2 days to stay another 5 months cheesy
Personally, I do 5 months at a stretch for Grandma. She's even registered at our GP sef. cheesy
pls when this German visitor of 2 days renews tell us.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BorisJohnson(f): 11:06am On Jun 08, 2023
Solumtoya:

My friend's Mum stayed for 5 months and 29 days, travelled to Germany and came back after 2 days to stay another 5 months cheesy

I would be careful. Very careful about the bolded.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SamReinvented: 11:30am On Jun 08, 2023
Solumtoya:

Classic example of the people that Zahra commenter is talking about. Blatantly abusing processes with no care in the world. SMH.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 11:35am On Jun 08, 2023
giselle237:
pls when this German visitor of 2 days renews tell us.

Of course, she has. There are 2 of my friends whose Mums did that, one of them has renewed.

There's a lot of misconception about the visitor's visa. It says you should not stay more than 6 months at a time and that's mostly it. They hardly consider your application reason vs length of stay when renewing especially for a Retiree. If one applies for a 10 year visa, for instance, they don't expect you to outline your entire itinerary for the 10 years. The exception is that you don't "live in the UK for long periods of time through frequent or successive visits", that's very subjective. It would most likely raise a flag if German Grandma does that 4 times and ends up staying for 2 years at a stretch with just only a few days away throughout.

The guy whose Grandma is on a 5 year visa and wants to extend her stay to 5 or 6 months to stay for the kid's birthday is perfectly legitimate. She won't have an issue when renewing, she didn't break her visa rule.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 11:37am On Jun 08, 2023
BorisJohnson:

I would be careful. Very careful about the bolded.

Actually, visitors are allowed to register at GP, it's just not free of charge like BRP holders. These are actually on the gov.uk website. I always do it when an Elderly person is staying for long. In fact, there are several Emergency services they can get for free

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by giselle237: 11:38am On Jun 08, 2023
Solumtoya:

if German Grandma does that 4 times and ends up staying for 2 years at a stretch with just only a few days away throughout.
Why has the German woman not done it frequently in her 2 or 5 or 10 year visa na? Because you only came to give that ploy as if it’s the norm to step out for 2 days and return consistently…

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 11:39am On Jun 08, 2023
SamReinvented:

Classic example of the people that Zahra commenter is talking about. Blatantly abusing processes with no care in the world. SMH.

I agree with that, actually. But it's a loophole in the visa and they're exploiting it unfortunately.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 11:40am On Jun 08, 2023
giselle237:

Why has the German woman not done it frequently in her 2 or 5 or 10 year visa na? Because you only came to give that ploy as if it’s the norm to step out for 2 days and return consistently…

You're on your own, giselle. I can't take responsibility for how you comprehend my gist. Have a nice day, una too like fight

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (542) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: 080bjaked(m), mystery22, ehizario2012, dhummystecah(f), willyede(m), igbsam(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.