Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,035 members, 7,828,627 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:16 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (51) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (485268 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (553) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tier4Dependant: 9:04pm On Jun 09, 2023
HCA’s don suffer for nairaland.

Nairaland where everyone is a project manager or data analyst.

Nairaland where everyone pays their CC balance in full.

Nairaland where everyone earns 60k and above

Las las everyone go dey alright.

Dey play ooo, make everybody just dey play cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Raalsalghul: 9:07pm On Jun 09, 2023
Tier4Dependant:

Nigerians generally are very classist, na part of wetin keep us for where we dey.

Everyone forming posh white collar professional as if na sand them dey pay HCAs and no career progession there.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lolli2pop: 9:21pm On Jun 09, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Issue 1 - The only chance you have of recovery, is if it was handed over by the new owner........ Freeze your cards + report them stolen + request new cards .......

Issue 2 - How much did you pay ....... Google ads are full of scammers........ Call the airline to confirm......

This might not be a scam, but never take your chances with Google ads ........

Lexus i have finally confirmed it was a scam.. they were scammers. These scammers are really terrible, with every single passing day these scammers are evolving in their approach ohhh… please guys if anyone wants to book ticket book only from an agent that has a proper uk website. And before making any payment request for a booking summary and ensure it comes via the customer service mail box. For example if you are booking from flight centre the only mail box you should receive booking summary should be xyz@flightcentre.com.

I have spoken to American express, we are in the process of charge dispute. By the way there is a product manager here who works at Amex right?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BorisJohnson(f): 9:25pm On Jun 09, 2023
Sooner (rather than later), we shall have a Labour Government in the YouKay.

With my namesake resigning from Parliament immediately, with Nadine Dorries gone too. There will most certainly be a flurry of resignations. And bye elections - which the Tories will all lose.

Let’s see what a Labour Government will bring.

We Move…

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 9:45pm On Jun 09, 2023
Lolli2pop:

Lexus i have finally confirmed it was a scam.. they were scammers. These scammers are really terrible, with every single passing day these scammers are evolving in their approach ohhh… please guys if anyone wants to book ticket book only from an agent that has a proper uk website. And before making any payment request for a booking summary and ensure it comes via the customer service mail box. For example if you are booking from flight centre the only mail box you should receive booking summary should be xyz@flightcentre.com.

I have spoken to American express, we are in the process of charge dispute. By the way there is a product manager here who works at Amex right?

Just commence a section 75 claim...... The beauty of credit cards.......😭😜

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 9:47pm On Jun 09, 2023
Lolli2pop:

Why are people booking ticket through agent? How about buying directly through airline website? For all my travels I have never bought a ticket through agent. That is just no no for me. You will avoid all these problems when you buy your ticket directly from the airline

17 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Bukad(m): 9:47pm On Jun 09, 2023
Progressivegee:

The way some people on this thread belittle others working in the healthcare profession is not just wrong but also condescending. To some, it is believed that healthcare assistant is all about packing sh!t. Thats myopic. Lol. The healthcare industry is very broad and has high earning potentials. As a mental health support worker, you can earn as much as £25 per hour with minimal experience on the job. More experienced workers earn up to £40 per hour and above by just sitting down all day or night taking records or making sure things are done properly in the facility. [b]Complex care support for children with learning difficulties pays very high even more than many office workers. [/b]Its an industry that offers huge potentials and opportunity to grow with readily available hands on training provided by most employers.

Let's erode that mindset that all healthcare workers are at the bottom of the career food chain (salary wise) when in reality many earn far more than workers in other industry. A friend of mine who studied mechanical engineering both in his undergraduate and UK masters level made a lot of money in complex health care and has started his own care company. Today he is an employer of labor and a director after undergoing several training.

You don't need to make yourself feel highly by bringing others down. For healthcare assistants, while you are motivated to grow your career within or outside the care profession, do not let anyone make you look down on your hustle. You can make good money in this profession without doing personal care with the little experience you can gather. And if you choose to get other professional jobs in line with your academic qualifications, great! Care Experience can be useful for jobs roles in customer support, human relations, because you are able to manage emotions of people with varying degree of temperament and mental stability.

May God bless everyone with a legit hustle. Amen

I agree with the bolded, know people with personal testimonies who worked within one year and have achieved financial goals, while gradually pursuing other professional development because the complex care job isn't as stressful as other areas of care but just more technical.

Work is work. May God bless every legit hustle.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lightnlife: 10:20pm On Jun 09, 2023
Good to know.

If you don't mind, can I PM you for some details?

babajeje123:

Well, the visa is for my mum. She just got the passport and yes, vignette dey dia grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 10:30pm On Jun 09, 2023
Progressivegee:

The way some people on this thread belittle others working in the healthcare profession is not just wrong but also condescending. To some, it is believed that healthcare assistant is all about packing sh!t. Thats myopic. Lol. The healthcare industry is very broad and has high earning potentials. As a mental health support worker, you can earn as much as £25 per hour with minimal experience on the job. More experienced workers earn up to £40 per hour and above by just sitting down all day or night taking records or making sure things are done properly in the facility.

Oya give me plug wink

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lightnlife: 10:32pm On Jun 09, 2023
Valid thought. Imagine a world without carers!

Many Nigerians need to disabuse their minds on professional classism. Every job has its importance and the people performing those roles are the irreplaceable heartbeat.

We can't all be PM, Engineers or Accountants. Let's embrace diversity without prejudice.

But to fair to the original poster that referenced 'health worker'. I assume her context was that carers often drive to various locations hence their car insurance will be high. Innit 😀

Progressivegee:

The way some people on this thread belittle others working in the healthcare profession is not just wrong but also condescending. To some, it is believed that healthcare assistant is all about packing sh!t. Thats myopic. Lol. The healthcare industry is very broad and has high earning potentials. As a mental health support worker, you can earn as much as £25 per hour with minimal experience on the job. More experienced workers earn up to £40 per hour and above by just sitting down all day or night taking records or making sure things are done properly in the facility. Complex care support for children with learning difficulties pays very high even more than many office workers. Its an industry that offers huge potentials and opportunity to grow with readily available hands on training provided by most employers.

Let's erode that mindset that all healthcare workers are at the bottom of the career food chain (salary wise) when in reality many earn far more than workers in other industry. A friend of mine who studied mechanical engineering both in his undergraduate and UK masters level made a lot of money in complex health care and has started his own care company. Today he is an employer of labor and a director after undergoing several training....

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 10:34pm On Jun 09, 2023
Tier4Dependant:

I smell some beef somewhere in this post smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by elengine: 10:45pm On Jun 09, 2023
Hmmm bro. Honestly I think you misconstrued the message I was trying to pass. I am on HCA dependent visa and I hope you know that I cannot be throwing a stone while I live in the glass house.

What I meant was than an HCA especially the dom usually pays higher insurance premium because of the risk inherent in their job. So the insurance thinks I am also an HCA but I was hiding it. More so, I am the one paying for my wife's insurance too who happens to an HCA. I believe it is clear now. Apologies once again. Na evening school I go and that is why I could not ensure clarity in my message.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by elengine: 10:47pm On Jun 09, 2023
Progressivegee:

The way some people on this thread belittle others working in the healthcare profession is not just wrong but also condescending. To some, it is believed that healthcare assistant is all about packing sh!t. Thats myopic. Lol. The healthcare industry is very broad and has high earning potentials. As a mental health support worker, you can earn as much as £25 per hour with minimal experience on the job. More experienced workers earn up to £40 per hour and above by just sitting down all day or night taking records or making sure things are done properly in the facility. Complex care support for children with learning difficulties pays very high even more than many office workers. Its an industry that offers huge potentials and opportunity to grow with readily available hands on training provided by most employers.

Let's erode that mindset that all healthcare workers are at the bottom of the career food chain (salary wise) when in reality many earn far more than workers in other industry. A friend of mine who studied mechanical engineering both in his undergraduate and UK masters level made a lot of money in complex health care and has started his own care company. Today he is an employer of labor and a director after undergoing several training.

You don't need to make yourself feel highly by bringing others down. For healthcare assistants, while you are motivated to grow your career within or outside the care profession, do not let anyone make you look down on your hustle. You can make good money in this profession without doing personal care with the little experience you can gather. And if you choose to get other professional jobs in line with your academic qualifications, great! Care Experience can be useful for jobs roles in customer support, human relations, because you are able to manage emotions of people with varying degree of temperament and mental stability.

Hmmm bro. Honestly I think you misconstrued the message I was trying to pass. I am on HCA dependent visa and I hope you know that I cannot be throwing a stone while I live in the glass house.

What I meant was than an HCA especially the dom usually pays higher insurance premium because of the risk inherent in their job. So the insurance thinks I am also an HCA but I was hiding it. More so, I am the one paying for my wife's insurance too who happens to an HCA. I believe it is clear now. Apologies once again. Na evening school I go and that is why I could not ensure clarity in my message.

13 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rinzylee(m): 11:01pm On Jun 09, 2023
AirBay:

Is English your first language? Are you related to Queen of England? Why do you need to apologise for including pidgin in your write up in a Nigerian forum? Even if you add yoruba, ibo or hausa you don't need to tender any apology. Anybody wy no fit read am should ask for translation

Lol...no vex sir

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rinzylee(m): 11:11pm On Jun 09, 2023
Lolli2pop:
To the guy who wrote a his story about traveling with Egyptair, well done boss your writing skill is exceptional. You have just reminded me to also share a current predicament loll

Issue 1: Guys please i left my bag on the Elizabeth line. Its been almost 3 weeks now since I filled the online form . Does anyone by any chance know what further steps I can take? The contents of the bag are mainly a very expensive laptop and my bank cards.(note- since the bag was left on the train there hasn’t been any fraudulent transactions with my cards). Please i’d appreciate any further ideas..

Transport for London lost property 0343 222 1234

Call and possibly go to their London office

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lolli2pop: 11:27pm On Jun 09, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Just commence a section 75 claim...... The beauty of credit cards.......😭😜

Hey Lexus do you think i should wait for the dispute to come to an end before commencing section 75?? Or should i kick off asap?

Also do you know how long the secrion 75 thingy goes on for before i get the money back?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lolli2pop: 11:28pm On Jun 09, 2023
justwise:

Why are people booking ticket through agent? How about buying directly through airline website? For all my travels I have never bought a ticket through agent. That is just no no for me. You will avoid all these problems when you buy your ticket directly from the airline

I have always thought that agents are cheaper than purchasing directly from airline.. is that a misconception??
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lolli2pop: 11:30pm On Jun 09, 2023
rinzylee:

Transport for London lost property 0343 222 1234

Call and possibly go to their London office

No one takes the call, it just rings and goes off.. abeg which of their london offices?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:52pm On Jun 09, 2023
Lolli2pop:

Hey Lexus do you think i should wait for the dispute to come to an end before commencing section 75?? Or should i kick off asap?

Also do you know how long the secrion 75 thingy goes on for before i get the money back?

Once you initiate the process, AMEX credits your account back, immediately.......

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:53pm On Jun 09, 2023
Lolli2pop:

I have always thought that agents are cheaper than purchasing directly from airline.. is that a misconception??

The only agent I would use is opodo....... They are 100000% legit....... 😜🤣

We have so many Asian agents, looking for people to scam...... Imagine an Asian agent with the name Adam Benson........ 😜🤣

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 11:59pm On Jun 09, 2023
Progressivegee:

Even if it's just packing sh*t and collecting less than £8 per hour, it's still no reason to be condescending on someone's noble occupation.

Everyone deserves respect, this is not Naija. Whether you sweep the streets or work in a bourgeois corner office, there's dignity in labour and every worker must be talked about with respect.

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by KingDemolah(m): 1:16am On Jun 10, 2023
NatWest £200 switching has entered the account. smiley Next stop: First direct.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AirBay: 1:23am On Jun 10, 2023
KingDemolah:
NatWest £200 switching has entered the account. smiley Next stop: First direct.
Pay your tithe. Se make I drop aza grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 1:30am On Jun 10, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 1:41am On Jun 10, 2023
elengine:

Omo this explanation en...e make sense.

Misunderstanding na bad thing.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by gmacnoms(m): 1:47am On Jun 10, 2023
Progressivegee:

Even if na shit person Dey pack, it’s his/her labor.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 5:57am On Jun 10, 2023
Lolli2pop:

Its, buying ticket from agent is like renting from letting agent, they will always add their commission and service charge ontop of the actual rent.

Put your browser in incognito and know the time of the day to buy and travel. Sometimes buying in advance is not always cheaper as late cancellation pops up cheaper

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Teedol: 6:59am On Jun 10, 2023
I was trying to say this few weeks ago but couldn't put the words together the way you have done it, probably cos I was at work and doing multiple things at the same time. Where I live so many Nigerians are home owners and living good lifestyle with the same healthcare job some are always running down on nairaland.

I have a friend whose service user lives
with learning disabilities and complex care, he just told social service he will be terminating his contract with the said service user, they have been enticing him with a lot of money, yet this guy
wont accept. I know a Nigerian big bro where i live who just built/remodelled a healthcare home with over a million pounds, some of us got here few months back but lucky to roll with "the people that know road"

Progressivegee:

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Inkredible(m): 7:16am On Jun 10, 2023
lightnlife:
Na wah ooo.

Unfortunately this happened close to home. The Nigerian community here has had a pretty good image and standing with the locals. We never get bad rep like that until this. Now it’s damage control cause for some reason, this dude in the video when asked if he had children as friends back in Nigeria, he affirmed. So, the ignorant ones are running with the assumption that pedophilia is canon in Nigeria. This town is not that big so word gets around fast especially this kinda topic.

Not like anyone cares what anyone thinks, it’s just sad that this is a got to conversation starter for taxi drivers now.

It’ll blow over eventually.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 8:13am On Jun 10, 2023
Lolli2pop:

I also haven’t ever used an agent to buy a ticket even when I was in Nigeria.

Do a price comparison using skyscanner or Kayak to find the cheapest airline then proceed to purchase the ticket directly from the airline’s website. That way you are covered by the airlines terms and condition and not the agents.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SPDAZZY(f): 8:14am On Jun 10, 2023
Hi all,

Please if someone wants to switch employers and has been in the UK for less than a year, does the POF(as maintenance is not being taken care of) need to have been in the bank account for 28days as required when in Nigeria.

Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by horlahxeyi: 8:19am On Jun 10, 2023
Pls bro, I'm here going to 4 months, i be engineer but no job yet. I will be happy if i can attach to you, show me road o. A close mouth is a close destiny as well.

Teedol:
I was trying to say this few weeks ago but couldn't put the words together the way you have done it, probably cos I was at work and doing multiple things at the same time. Where I live so many Nigerians are home owners and living good lifestyle with the same healthcare job some are always running down on nairaland.

I have a friend whose service user lives
with learning disabilities and complex care, he just told social service he will be terminating his contract with the said service user, they have been enticing him with a lot of money, yet this guy
wont accept. I know a Nigerian big bro where i live who just built/remodelled a healthcare home with over a million pounds, some of us got here few months back but lucky to roll with "the people that know road"

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (553) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3

Viewing this topic: nineville(m), Jbloc, Babababy(m), Googledrive12 and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.