Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,305 members, 7,836,330 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:03 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (50) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (497660 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (562) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 5:43pm On Jun 08, 2023
missb50:
Lol, sikin change. Make I come fes.. Na to report you to the Chief Judge grin tongue

Wàhálà wàhálà wàhálà........😜🤣
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by humblemoi: 5:44pm On Jun 08, 2023
Lexusgs430:
I just hit 2 bicycle jackpots....... My neighbour put out 2 (almost new adult bicycles)......

Fault - all tyres low + faulty mis-aligned chains........

As a 9ja boy wey I be ...... I carry both bicycles, took me all of 15 minutes, both bikes now riding like a Ferrari..........😭😁

My dilemma..... My neighbour is a Chief Judge, I hope he does not sue me, demanding his lovely bikes back ..........😜😁🤣

😁😄😄😄
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 5:45pm On Jun 08, 2023
jesmond3945:
i thought the said lady is a non nigerian who was being cared for by a nigerian man?

Read that case again
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 5:49pm On Jun 08, 2023
jesmond3945:
you mean drag queens grooming children to see lgbtq as okay?

How does that even make sense? Drag queen grooming children to see LGBTQ?

You are really sounding like Republican party member or Trump supporter.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jesmond3945: 6:24pm On Jun 08, 2023
justwise:

Read that case again
if that is the case, too bad. However, you I will differentiate africans born here from african immigrants. I treat africans born here, the way i treat non africans, caution.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 6:41pm On Jun 08, 2023
jesmond3945:
if that is the case, too bad. However, you I will differentiate africans born here from african immigrants. I treat africans born here, the way i treat non africans, caution.

I'm guessing those born here know their right and will not be abused sexually without taking action? Or are you suggesting that Nigerian girls born and raised in Nigeria are walk-over and likely to be abused with no question asked?

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 6:58pm On Jun 08, 2023
jesmond3945:

The female in question is Nigerian. I think what Justwise is trying to point out is that once you set foot in this country, it’s no longer business as usual when it comes to relationships with the opposite sex (young or old). All those cultivated behaviours of touching people inappropriately all in the name of playing or joking is seen for what it is which is sexual harassment. It makes no difference if the person is 1st generation Nigerian immigrant or 3rd generation, it is sexual harassment. Know this and know peace.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jun 08, 2023
justwise:

I'm guessing those born here know their right and will not be abused sexually without taking action? Or are you suggesting that Nigerian girls born and raised in Nigeria are walk-over and likely to be abused with no question asked?

That’s exactly what he has been trying hard to imply but not say explicitly.

Dem catch grown man with 14 year old and your default response is ‘stick to Naija women’ . Is that not nonsense?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jesmond3945: 7:10pm On Jun 08, 2023
justwise:

no no. I mean different upbringing. What is wrong in complimenting someone or saying how are you without it being called sexual harrassment. Somebody will mistakenly touch you with her body and is termed harrassment. Common, I have seen a lot. Is better you just avoid and mind your biz.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jesmond3945: 7:13pm On Jun 08, 2023
Peerielass:

The female in question is Nigerian. I think what Justwise is trying to point out is that once you set foot in this country, it’s no longer business as usual when it comes to relationships with the opposite sex (young or old). All those cultivated behaviours of touching people inappropriately all in the name of playing or joking is seen for what it is which is sexual harassment. It makes no difference if the person is 1st generation Nigerian immigrant or 3rd generation, it is sexual harassment. Know this and know peace.
so if i unknowingly tap a lady in the arm when we are having a laugh is harrassment?
My own premise is that for your own good avoid women generally. Una wahala too much.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jesmond3945: 7:15pm On Jun 08, 2023
koonbey:

That’s exactly what he has been trying hard to imply but not say explicitly.

Dem catch grown man with 14 year old and your default response is ‘stick to Naija women’ . Is that not nonsense?
i think you didn't comprehend my write up.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by davide470(m): 7:19pm On Jun 08, 2023
elengine:
People of God oh. Two things that I need your guide on:

1. I work in a multinational company here in the north(smiles) and they are giving me a credit card in my name and to be delivered to my home. My question is, will this card contribute to my credit score even though it is issued through my employer but in my name and my address. The essence of the card is for me to use any time I want to embark on a journey as an auditor. I can also use it to make some purchases as long as it is business related and my employer will be responsible for funding or replenishing it.
I have a similar arrangment with my firm though I am not an auditor. It doesn't increase your credit score as it is not technically registered to you, but I have indirectly enjoyed some delay compensation payment from Avanti & other Train lines

Someone also mentioned TopCashback and I would say that is a very good platform. I have garnered a few £s on it using the firm's card for business purchases of course wink. If you wanna register and get cashback on your purchases, go here = TopCashback

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AirBay: 7:41pm On Jun 08, 2023
jesmond3945:
i know.
My take is that in uk you can never tell what is in the mind of most women so is better you give them space. A woman can switch up and say you harrased her just by giving her compliment or glancing at her. Is your words against hers. My brother I will not allow my name or reputation to be ruined by any woman in uk. So I am very catious around millions of them here. Why I made exceptions for nigerian or african women is their is little or no bias. The chances of being accused of one thing or the other is low.

This sha. In 2017, I went to a club in Manchester from Sheffield, a pal and I were lucky that night as we got free babes grin Unfortunately for him the 2 Spanish girls he went home with woke up in the morning and claimed they can't recognise him.

I was around Bolton still eating the goodies, he buzzed me as I was chopping the last ride. grin On getting there, these babes started demanding substancial amount of money in order not to get the police involved, we wy never pay school fees finish grin. Eventually they called the police...Long story short

The videos we made before they got drunk and the audios that were made during several arguments saved him.

Since that day, I no dy follow oyinbo girl go house. I stay jeje with our naija babes even though dm use my eyes see shege grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Greathand01: 8:53pm On Jun 08, 2023
Please how can one plan ahead better for passport renewal in London, my appointment is next week and all the reviews I can see online are quite pathetic...and that one will wait 3 months before getting the passport ..chai
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jun 08, 2023
jesmond3945:
so if i unknowingly tap a lady in the arm when we are having a laugh is harrassment?
My own premise is that for your own good avoid women generally. Una wahala too much.

See who is talking about comprehension?

In all that has been discussed on this matter, unknowingly tapping someone on the arm is the issue your mind has reduced everything to?

Lol.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by semmyk(m): 9:33pm On Jun 08, 2023
This was posted in Living in the UK mortgage thread. Unfortunately, it doesn't belong there. Maybe, it might assist someone here.
NeloNelo:
I just heard that Canada has added two African countries to their visa free list.
https://thegisthouse.com/canada-adds-two-african-nation-to-visa-free-travel-list-nigeria-not-included/
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lolli2pop: 12:37am On Jun 09, 2023
Lexusgs430:

You wan come buy the other one .......😭😁

Loooll are yu based in london??north south east or west?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Gerrard59(m): 3:58am On Jun 09, 2023
jedisco:

This is something I keep pondering on. Many times, many second generational folks I've seen especially in less diverse cities have some identity crises. They're neither here nor there, worse still, they don't have enough numbers or a distinct culture.

Even on this thread, folks using denigrating words for new Nigerian legal immigrants are almost always second generation. Yet they strive to have some 9ja connection cos they want to be seen 'connecting with their roots'

Seems their thinking was their parents belonged to some 'prime stock' of Nigerians that the the white man gave the 'privilege' of immigration. Hence they want to set their own bar for immigrants. Fact is, their parents were just everyday Nigerians e.t.c with some opportunity.

It is universal. Second generation folks see themselves as higher than those who came in recently, even when they share the same skin colour and heritage.The second generation is even too far, those who migrated, say in 2010, see themselves as superior to those who entered the UK recently. On the other hand, they are not the natives and can never be. The natives group them (both first and second till infinity) as the same. I must say some have to do with identity/inferiority issues, others are classism - seen as richer than the new migrants. The second reason is apt because if present-day Nigeria was as prosperous as say, Malaysia, the level of respect will be higher. Tell these second generation folks to return to sub-Saharan Africa (the dominant home of black people), dem no go gree. One of the ways they use to dilute or shed off the connection is by marrying the natives, this time, their offspring get less strong connections with those in sub-Saharan Africa.

One solution to this is for parents to ensure their offspring spend some time in Nigeria or other parts of Africa. Let them know how home is, what made the parents japa and inculcate positive aspects of the home culture to the kids. It makes them confident, because, trust me, pikin wey grow up where people who look like him are very few or non-existent, will have personality issues growing up. The same applies to children from poorer families that attend schools filled with children from richer homes.

The UK is even better as there is a substantial black population. Then imagine for second generation folks in Germany, Norway, Finland etc. All the same, in the eyes of the white man, we are one and the same.

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ogundare26: 4:03am On Jun 09, 2023
Good day ma'am, I would like to contact about interview coming up next week, I'm a secondary School student and this is my first attempt, I would really appreciate it if you can be of assistance to me. Thank you
LagosismyHome:
I give up... was trying to catch up but almost one month behind smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Greathand01: 1:18pm On Jun 09, 2023
Good afternoon...Please Please, how many months of naija passport validity can one use to apply for a visa in the Uk If you are switching from tier 4 to 2 or to psw. If passport expires in July, can you still use it for visa application in June.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 1:49pm On Jun 09, 2023
What can one do if TLS returns passport without decision mail from UKVI? Passport is yet to be received.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AirBay: 2:07pm On Jun 09, 2023
babajeje123:
What can one do if TLS returns passport without decision mail from UKVI? Passport is yet to be received.

Stamped or not?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 2:18pm On Jun 09, 2023
AirBay:

Stamped or not?
Passport has not been received.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BouharryArtikou: 2:23pm On Jun 09, 2023
babajeje123:

Decision email is usually pretty standard, doesn’t tell you whether or not visa has been issued.

What is important is whether or not there is visa vignette in the passport.

Wait and receive the passport. The real decision will be there.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 2:46pm On Jun 09, 2023
BouharryArtikou:

Decision email is usually pretty standard, doesn’t tell you whether or not visa has been issued.

What is important is whether or not there is visa vignette in the passport.

Wait and receive the passport. The real decision will be there.
Well, the visa is for my mum. She just got the passport and yes, vignette dey dia grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LagosismyHome(f): 3:13pm On Jun 09, 2023
Ogundare26:
Good day ma'am, I would like to contact about interview coming up next week, I'm a secondary School student and this is my first attempt, I would really appreciate it if you can be of assistance to me. Thank you

I don't do mock interviews for US student visa anymore, it been years since I visited that thread and I am even so rusting with current ways of US student visa process or interview

Please reach out to someone else who is more active on that thread and Best of luck
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Progressivegee: 7:10pm On Jun 09, 2023
elengine:
People of God oh. Two things that I need your guide on:

1. I work in a multinational company here in the north(smiles) and they are giving me a credit card in my name and to be delivered to my home. My question is, will this card contribute to my credit score even though it is issued through my employer but in my name and my address. The essence of the card is for me to use any time I want to embark on a journey as an auditor. I can also use it to make some purchases as long as it is business related and my employer will be responsible for funding or replenishing it.

2. Marshmallow insurance is asking me to provide my job offer for them to verify the business I do based on the information I provided while filling their policy form. Meanwhile this is coming after 1 month of registration and I have paid like 400 pounds in advance. Now I pay 170 every month for a 2007 honda crv. Do you think I should course their mamas and ask to cancel my policy or I should ignore them. I feel very pained that they are not believing me. They thought everyone is a healthcare worker

The way some people on this thread belittle others working in the healthcare profession is not just wrong but also condescending. To some, it is believed that healthcare assistant is all about packing sh!t. Thats myopic. Lol. The healthcare industry is very broad and has high earning potentials. As a mental health support worker, you can earn as much as £25 per hour with minimal experience on the job. More experienced workers earn up to £40 per hour and above by just sitting down all day or night taking records or making sure things are done properly in the facility. Complex care support for children with learning difficulties pays very high even more than many office workers. Its an industry that offers huge potentials and opportunity to grow with readily available hands on training provided by most employers.

Let's erode that mindset that all healthcare workers are at the bottom of the career food chain (salary wise) when in reality many earn far more than workers in other industry. A friend of mine who studied mechanical engineering both in his undergraduate and UK masters level made a lot of money in complex health care and has started his own care company. Today he is an employer of labor and a director after undergoing several training.

You don't need to make yourself feel highly by bringing others down. For healthcare assistants, while you are motivated to grow your career within or outside the care profession, do not let anyone make you look down on your hustle. You can make good money in this profession without doing personal care with the little experience you can gather. And if you choose to get other professional jobs in line with your academic qualifications, great! Care Experience can be useful for jobs roles in customer support, human relations, because you are able to manage emotions of people with varying degree of temperament and mental stability.

May God bless everyone with a legit hustle. Amen

46 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (562) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / USA Visit Visa Part 4

Viewing this topic: obioraval(m), jblesn(f) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.