Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,194 members, 7,829,271 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (63) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (486355 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) ... (554) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Kekeman4now: 9:40am On Jun 18, 2023
Pls my brother has been in Manchester without getting a job for upto a month,pls anyone in Manchester that can help him get a Job?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kaybee3(m): 9:46am On Jun 18, 2023
Drey1:
Morning Comrades. Abeg. Where person fit submit her passport for Canada visa request jare in UK, or is it okay to send it down to naija and get it stamped since nah there every every started or preferably here.

This people funny sha. Give wife visa , no give husband. grin. Wetin wife wan go do without husband for canny. Una no gbadun o.
You can send it to their London office but you will have to pay transmission fee (less than 20pounds) as well as DHL fee (20.85) if you’re in the uk 🇬🇧. You can call their London office for more clarity

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hayesconcept(m): 10:01am On Jun 18, 2023
Tell him to apply to all those teaching agencies as a teaching assistant / Invigilator and if he can do factory work he should spread his wings to Warrington. All is well
Kekeman4now:
Pls my brother has been in Manchester without getting a job for upto a month,pls anyone in Manchester that can help him get a Job?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by giselle237: 10:09am On Jun 18, 2023
kwakudtraveller:
Can someone go to the Nigerian Passport office here in the UK a month before their appointment date, has anyone done this and what was your experience like, did they attend to you?
who will let you in? Who will attend to you? Best to know if you can get an official allowance to come in if it’s an emergency emergency. Real life one.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by giselle237: 10:11am On Jun 18, 2023
eniola1010:
3) how exactly does the gov know the right amount of tax to debit from our salary monthly?
I know its very easy to determine how much tax one is to pay monthly provided ones annual income is known.
But what about someone who just started a job and the monthly income is not static, and such person has not even used a year yet. How then did the gov know exactly the right amount that they are debiting monthly?
4) if someone works two job, will the two wages be taxed separately or the taxes for the two jobs will be taken from the wage of one of the jobs
you will be taxed as normal according to the rate on hmrc website. If at the end of the annual tax year in April and you paid too much tax the previous year, you will be refunded. If you underpaid, hmrc will still send a letter to you to repay what you owe.
Same applies, your extra job will be classed as a 2nd job and you will be taxed accordingly…

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eniola1010(m): 10:37am On Jun 18, 2023
giselle237:

you will be taxed as normal according to the rate on hmrc website. If at the end of the annual tax year in April and you paid too much tax the previous year, you will be refunded. If you underpaid, hmrc will still send a letter to you to repay what you owe.
Same applies, your extra job will be classed as a 2nd job and you will be taxed accordingly…

Thanks boss
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Drey1: 11:28am On Jun 18, 2023
kaybee3:

You can send it to their London office but you will have to pay transmission fee (less than 20pounds) as well as DHL fee (20.85) if you’re in the uk 🇬🇧. You can call their London office for more clarity

Okay. Thanks. Vfs has got an office in Birmingham sef. I think that would be okay rather than the stress of London.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:16pm On Jun 18, 2023
STENON:
lols, thanks alot, if someone could send me a link of any reliable hotel near ikeja airport, I don't mind booking it but just scared of booking something online that I have no idea of its security and genuineness for my aged Parents. angry

Bluenest hotel....... Ajao estate....... 😂😜

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rinzylee(m): 12:17pm On Jun 18, 2023
Good afternoon everyone....

Abeg which shengen country has available visa appointment dates. I have a convention in Netherlands in August and slots are unavailable.

Has anyone been able to get a slot with any country lately?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Opiso101: 12:18pm On Jun 18, 2023
Someone should help please

Opiso101:
Hello everyone
I have a few questions

1- Where can I do a project management course that is recognized worldwide

2- Where can I get quality training on data analysis

3- apart from Lemonade which other app can I use to convert Pound to naira?

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by gmacnoms(m): 1:01pm On Jun 18, 2023
LagosismyHome:

Was in Bristol last week and first city I seen with so many electric scooter. .... they were everywhere
So many. Voi
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by gmacnoms(m): 1:02pm On Jun 18, 2023
acosfd:

Thanks so much for the bicycle, I'm very grateful.
Don't mention. I no respond then because I go gada pounds this morning. Enjoy ✌🏻
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Kennyliga112: 1:42pm On Jun 18, 2023
Opiso101:

Nala .. https://join.iwantnala.com/KEHINDE-059670…The rate is 968 as of today …
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 2:50pm On Jun 18, 2023
STENON:
They are actually coming from Osun state a day before. Thanks, I would start checking for Hotels nearby now wink

Airport Hotel is very close to the airport and there are taxi people nearby or you can use Bolt, at whatever time of the day/night. It's pretty outdated and not in very good condition but good enough to just catch a few hours of sleep.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by NezzyMike: 2:57pm On Jun 18, 2023
STENON:
lols, thanks alot, if someone could send me a link of any reliable hotel near ikeja airport, I don't mind booking it but just scared of booking something online that I have no idea of its security and genuineness for my aged Parents. angry

Ensure someone checks up the hotel before payment, this happened to me and thanks to God I didn't pay. Damp room with no ventilation, inshort very small room for that matter.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BouharryArtikou: 3:32pm On Jun 18, 2023
eniola1010:
My questions plenty small

1) please which of these app is the best app for preparing for the driving test

2) if i invite a friend from nigeria for my graduation and he elopes what will happen?

3) how exactly does the gov know the right amount of tax to debit from our salary monthly?
I know its very easy to determine how much tax one is to pay monthly provided ones annual income is known.
But what about someone who just started a job and the monthly income is not static, and such person has not even used a year yet. How then did the gov know exactly the right amount that they are debiting monthly?

4) if someone works two job, will the two wages be taxed separately or the taxes for the two jobs will be taken from the wage of one of the jobs

5) i noticed that most jobs ask for driver license and even if your role does not concern care they still put DL license as requirements why? Does project manager want to be going shopping for CEO ni?

6) i know that the requirement for COS is proof of english, someone was telling me that companies here in uk dont like accepting transcript or waiver from your uni in nigeria that it is either ielts or ecctis verification.

And this got me confused, afterall the company should know that i scaled through english test before even being accepted to run a masters degree in uk, so why cant they use my nigerian bsc transcript or uk msc transcript or CAS as proof of english proficiency, why must it be ecctis rating or ielts, or could the person who told me this info be blatantly wrong?

2. When you invite a friend from Nigeria for your graduation, they are assessed on the merit of their application (and risked-assessed based on that). The UK is very unlikely going to issue a visa to your friend who is capable of ‘elopes’. (I think your use of the word is improper in this context, but that na talk for another day). It is the reason why your friend who is single, earning less than £50 per month, owns no businesses and with zero history of international travel is likely to be denied in the first place.

3. Ever heard the word estimate / forecast? They will use a forecast and deduct. End of tax year, if they deducted too much, they refund you. If they deducted too little, they send you later to pay the balance.

4. Ever heard of HMRC Starter checklist?
See page 2 of the checklist. I have attached a screenshot for you to see.

5. It’s not exactly true to say ‘most jobs ask for DL’. Maybe most of the jobs for which you are qualified and looking for are asking for DL. If they do, it’s because it’s required.
A Project Manager working for HS2 (for example) may be required to travel to site where public transport is not readily available.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BuildingProject: 3:41pm On Jun 18, 2023
rinzylee:
Good afternoon everyone....

Abeg which shengen country has available visa appointment dates. I have a convention in Netherlands in August and slots are unavailable.

Has anyone been able to get a slot with any country lately?

Lithuania. Manchester

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by madamori9: 4:19pm On Jun 18, 2023
heroshark:

Can you please reshare, I want to bring in 5 pieces of senators/traditional attires, do they accept it or it's strictly foodstuffs?

Hi heroshark, I noticed you mentioned shipping senators/traditional attires earlier. I'm wondering if you were able to successfully ship them? I'm actually interested in doing the same and would appreciate any information or advice you could share.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 4:36pm On Jun 18, 2023
STENON:

If money is not an issue, I would recommend Legend Hotel by Hilton which is right next door to the airport. You can book from the official Hilton website.

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/loslhqq-legend-hotel-lagos-airport/
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 6:22pm On Jun 18, 2023
hayesconcept:
No, They won't attend to you
Thanks bro
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 6:32pm On Jun 18, 2023
giselle237:
[/b]who will let you in? Who will attend to you?[b] Best to know if you can get an official allowance to come in if it’s an emergency emergency. Real life one.
I don’t know, that’s why I’m asking. Thanks though
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Chuukwudi(m): 6:33pm On Jun 18, 2023
I am looking for a student to take over my Accomodation contract.

Less than 5 mins walk to Sunderland train station, bus station and University.

No couples, no pets, only for students.
Price is £115 per week, with all bills inclusive.

It's ensuite.

Please quote this message if this interests you.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rinzylee(m): 7:40pm On Jun 18, 2023
BuildingProject:

Lithuania. Manchester

God bless you big
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 8:18pm On Jun 18, 2023
London people how do you guys go about getting accomocation. I need a 1 room in a shared apartment with Bills inclusive.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 8:49pm On Jun 18, 2023
For 1 and 2 - try your hands on Coursera courses in Project Management delivered by Google and see if its what you really want to do before seeking in-class training. You can apply for Financial Aid too.

Opiso101:

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Opiso101: 8:56pm On Jun 18, 2023
Thank you

I have done the coursera courses.
But I don’t think their certification is recognized
bigtt76:
For 1 and 2 - try your hands on Coursera courses in Project Management delivered by Google and see if its what you really want to do before seeking in-class training. You can apply for Financial Aid too.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by steadyMoving22: 9:02pm On Jun 18, 2023
Opiso101:
Thank you

The skill is all that matters.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by solveabode(m): 9:20pm On Jun 18, 2023
Good day to you all.
Please what are the documents required for a Tier 2 visa holder to apply for Canada visit visa?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 10:01pm On Jun 18, 2023
People have gotten jobs based on these certifications though. But I hear you, a PRINCE2 or PMP certification would carry more weight but it all boils down to what you know and can bring to the table with your employer. You may have the PMP or PRINCE 2 certificates and not be able to deliver while someone with a Coursera certificate would do better.

Opiso101:
Thank you

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lightnlife: 10:04pm On Jun 18, 2023
Valid thoughts!

Had a similar convo with my partner last week. Our conclusion was most people must have and focus on their long-term goal (WHY) of relocating. It just can't be all about money!

It's easy to flow with the tide, get stuck in the chase for money, endless shifts and not realise one is lost and the family is falling apart in every aspect, especially emotionally.

Coming from a society where social validation is based on material possession and short term gains are valued above than long term gains, many Nigerians need to reorder their values, break away from some mentality, avoid pressure from home which can keep them on the drive for more money.

Why rush into a journey you'll be on for the next 4 - 6 years? Long-term gains require long-term planning and discipline.

As with every area of life and advancement, consistency beats intensity.

Best wishes to everyone.

Chreze:
We spend lots of time teaching each other on how to make more money, get good jobs, manage finances and the most Epic of all “build credit score/ applying for credit card”. But I think we spend lesser time sharing how we are building our home or staying married/in a relationship for so many years. I will start by sharing.

Blessings….

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 10:07pm On Jun 18, 2023
Please does anyone know how to go about renewing a US B1/B2 visa in the UK via drop box? Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by mizGene(f): 10:14pm On Jun 18, 2023
bigtt76:
Please does anyone know how to go about renewing a US B1/B2 visa in the UK via drop box? Thank you
If you got your last visa in Nija, you can't "Dropbox" here. You will need to go through the interview process again.

(1) (2) (3) ... (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) ... (554) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3

Viewing this topic: Googledrive12, Kingkom, toughest007, hyzich(m), Uk2020 and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.