Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,331 members, 7,836,399 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:08 AM

List Of South African Foods - Food (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / List Of South African Foods (51911 Views)

African Foods In Brazil(photos) / 10 Mouth-watering African Foods You Need To Try / South African Restaurant Refuses To Sell Food To Nigerians (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of South African Foods by Edoziesmart(m): 7:58pm On May 22, 2023
Gamesmart:

Stop the cap!

In your hungry country, you throw any meat away.

Dey deceive your village people.
Are you a Ghanaian?
Re: List Of South African Foods by airsaylongcome: 7:58pm On May 22, 2023
Samantha124:
Aren't they stews?

The ONLY thing we call stew is the one we eat with white rice

2 Likes

Re: List Of South African Foods by Nobody: 8:00pm On May 22, 2023
There are a few of them, I could mention them for you, if you want.
Jahwinaboy:
I have not seen or hear of any south African here. You have said it all. Lets believe you then.
Re: List Of South African Foods by Lagosianswag: 8:00pm On May 22, 2023
Samantha124:
I've never eaten food prepared like that before.

If you live in Rivers, Seafood Okro or Fisherman Soup is another assorted meal. tongue
We like our proteins in different varieties in one plate grin

2 Likes

Re: List Of South African Foods by Nobody: 8:05pm On May 22, 2023
Why does it looks like its still has it's coat on? But with the fur removed?

Are you trying to tell me that you guys eat goat coat too? shocked shocked shocked
Bahamas95:
Goat meat pepper soup.
Re: List Of South African Foods by AfonjaFula: 8:07pm On May 22, 2023
ImpregnaTor:
Most Nigerians here sound a bit ignorant

Expecting south Africa to have similar food as our's and even getting surprised they are not eating swallows etc

like come on South Africa and Nigeria are very far from each other, So we really don't have much in common. Most of our tropical crops here too can't be grown in south Africa, there are some difference in our weather, climate and vegetations, hence most crops found here are not common there.

We can only expect some level of similarities in
our food with our west African brothers.

Southies are meat, bread and pap people grin

U go just open mouth talk waas.
Sake of say Nairaland no gree me post pics, I for show you a far away Zimbabwe (very close to SA) with their soup.
Asides west Africa bro -so no too d claim say u too sabi
Re: List Of South African Foods by Lagosianswag: 8:07pm On May 22, 2023
Samantha124:
Yep.

What's sapa now

Sapa means you're broke.
In other words Sapa (being broke) would make you relish leftovers like chicken head or intestines (which most Nigerians that I know of don't eat).

The only chicken intestine some Nigerians (mainly Easterners) eat is Gizzard. I had it once out of curiosity and honestly it's not something I'd go back to.

1 Like

Re: List Of South African Foods by Gamesmart: 8:07pm On May 22, 2023
Edoziesmart:

Are you a Ghanaian?

Why would you think I am Ghanaian?
Re: List Of South African Foods by Nobody: 8:08pm On May 22, 2023
And that should be what we would call goat stew, not soup.

Is it necessary for you guys to call any stew that has pepper pepper soup though? Why not just say goat stew?
Bahamas95:
Goat meat pepper soup.
Re: List Of South African Foods by Gamesmart: 8:09pm On May 22, 2023
Lagosianswag:

Sapa means you're broke.
In other words Sapa (being broke) would make you relish leftovers like chicken head or intestines (which most Nigerians that I know of don't eat).

The only chicken intestine some Nigerians (mainly Easterners) eat is Gizzard. I had it once out of curiosity and honestly it's not something I'd go back to.

You are honestly claiming there is a part of chicken Nigerians don't eat?

Who una dey foool?

1 Like

Re: List Of South African Foods by Olumighty123(m): 8:10pm On May 22, 2023
mariahAngel:

Hahahahahahaha
I like how you own your ish! πŸ˜€

Most Nigerians will claim they don't eat chicken heads and feet.

Weytin dey chicken head and feet to start with?

1 Like

Re: List Of South African Foods by Nobody: 8:12pm On May 22, 2023
So long time ago you were pretending to be a female?🀣🀣🀣
Styluss:
This was my alternate account created a long time ago, just logged in to see the profile is female, edited already
Re: List Of South African Foods by Nobody: 8:12pm On May 22, 2023
Okay.. smiley smiley
Hotwest:
Yeah. But yours looking meaty. I like meat

1 Like

Re: List Of South African Foods by Styluss: 8:14pm On May 22, 2023
Lol grin, no, you can check my comments , they always identify as male. btw my original account was registered in 2013. I still use it, this is just a decoy and i just logged it in yesterday

Samantha124
Re: List Of South African Foods by Nobody: 8:15pm On May 22, 2023
Like I said, okay... smiley smiley smiley
Tonytonex:
please don't be offended with my comments. It's just my opinion.
You really did a great job.
Re: List Of South African Foods by Styluss: 8:17pm On May 22, 2023
If thats you on your profile, I must say you look more like her. She's cool, but just too complicated. SHe is Twana tribe or so
Samantha124:
Okay.. smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: List Of South African Foods by Nobody: 8:17pm On May 22, 2023
They look delicious.. smiley smiley smiley
mariahAngel:

Yes. Made with gizzards and fried plantains.
The Giz in the word is gizzard in short form.
In the 3rd picture are some of the ingredients used in making gizdodo.
Re: List Of South African Foods by kinah(f): 8:18pm On May 22, 2023
South African and meat πŸ–

They so love meat.

1 Like

Re: List Of South African Foods by Nobody: 8:19pm On May 22, 2023
Can you taste the chicken flavour when prepared with tripe?
lifenajeje:

Tough times call for austerity measures ...

The overwhelming increase of cooking gas or kerosine for kerosine stoves ..

People can't even use their electric stoves cos of high energy cost ..

Reality though is that it does not affect the taste of any of the proteins ..

The only stuff most people won't cook with the others are the innings ( tripes , stoma h walls , liver ,kidney ,heart etc )

When these proteins are cooked and added to soups or stews they absorb the flavour as that is what matters to the average Nigerian ..

Preparing and spicing proteins seprate from soups and stews is not common to the average Nigerian.
Re: List Of South African Foods by Nobody: 8:20pm On May 22, 2023
grin grin grin
SweetDipBenny:
Matching ground is a no no for me grin
Re: List Of South African Foods by Lagosianswag: 8:21pm On May 22, 2023
Gamesmart:

You are honestly claiming there is a part of chicken Nigerians don't eat?

Who una dey foool?

I don't think you're Nigerian. If you're then you'd know chicken head or intestine is left out of the main meal.
Even some restaurants and suya sellers reserve it for some special people who ask for them. undecided
It's not a generally eaten delicacy.
Maybe in your tribe or area you eat it, as for me and the Nigerians I know, chicken head πŸ” or intestine (asides Gizzard) is not a relished delicacy undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of South African Foods by Love800(m): 8:21pm On May 22, 2023
Is just like they have their own name for it by calling it pap. That is cool sha.

Bread nd soup. It sounds unique sha. But i want to know, wat is the difference btw soup nd stew because some people sometimes identify the both as the same. Maybe their soup is stew to dem(south africans)
sharone21:

Im guessing that what SA calls pap is what Cameroon and Cotonou ( Benin Republic) call fufu corn though both eat it with soup which is common there. Samantha please clarify this.

Moroccans also eat bread with soup or sardines using their hands: This is an African thing.

SA like us etc, also soak bread in tea to eat. Chicken and beef is a delight to them, one of them I once knew dreaded the thought of seeing chicken at a time because he ate it too much when they were young and had mostly chicken which the family could afford.

Re: List Of South African Foods by Nobody: 8:22pm On May 22, 2023
But we have chicken, beef, mutton, and goat stews.

And can either eat them with pap, samp, or rice.
airsaylongcome:

The ONLY thing we call stew is the one we eat with white rice
Re: List Of South African Foods by Nobody: 8:23pm On May 22, 2023
I see.. grin grin grin
Lagosianswag:

If you live in Rivers, Seafood Okro or Fisherman Soup is another assorted meal. tongue
We like our proteins in different varieties in one plate grin
Re: List Of South African Foods by MichaelSokoto(m): 8:25pm On May 22, 2023
ImpregnaTor:
Most Nigerians here sound a bit ignorant

Expecting south Africa to have similar food as our's and even getting surprised they are not eating swallows etc

like come on South Africa and Nigeria are very far from each other, So we really don't have much in common. Most of our tropical crops here too can't be grown in south Africa, there are some difference in our weather, climate and vegetations, hence most crops found here are not common there.

We can only expect some level of similarities in
our food with our west African brothers.

Southies are meat, bread and pap people grin
so all my life on earth, I gor Jez dey drink akamu, eat bread & chew meat dey go like dat?

Mbanu!

grin
Re: List Of South African Foods by Nobody: 8:25pm On May 22, 2023
Oh! I see.. smiley smiley
Lagosianswag:

Sapa means you're broke.

Re: List Of South African Foods by Tonytonex(m): 8:25pm On May 22, 2023
Samantha124:
Like I said, okay... smiley smiley smiley
okay
Re: List Of South African Foods by Nobody: 8:28pm On May 22, 2023
Damn, I was still in high school back in 2013... You must be old.. grin grin grin
Styluss:
Lol grin, no, you can check my comments , they always identify as male. btw my original account was registered in 2013. I still use it, this is just a decoy and i just logged it in yesterday

Samantha124
Re: List Of South African Foods by MichaelSokoto(m): 8:28pm On May 22, 2023
Burgerlomo:

Why not? Shey you dey whine me ni? But I can not eat bread with draw soup, but Egusi sure bankerπŸ˜‚
Nwannem!
which village u fall out 4rm?

Egusi & agege bureadi?

gerrara town!

grin

Re: List Of South African Foods by Nobody: 8:29pm On May 22, 2023
What's her name?
Styluss:
If thats you on your profile, I must say you look more like her. She's cool, but just too complicated. SHe is Twana tribe or so
Re: List Of South African Foods by Styluss: 8:32pm On May 22, 2023
Lol, I am not old, in my late 20s. Had a friend back in 2011 who always read stories on nairaland. was so curious that i started reading too, not for stories, but for politics and the funny comments. I later joined officially in 2013 on my Nokia C1 phone. grin
Samantha124:
Damn, I was still in high school back in 2013... You must be old.. grin grin grin
Re: List Of South African Foods by Styluss: 8:34pm On May 22, 2023
I must say. S.A. chicks are so Dramatic. Sorry I wont like to disclose that here. She might be here cos she loves Nigerian contents
Samantha124:
What's her name?

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (20) (Reply)

The Monitor Lizard And Bush Rats We Roasted For Dinner Today (PHOTOS) / Naija Continental Dishes / Only People With No Home Training Eat Eba And Fufu With Their Hand.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.