Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,486 members, 7,823,131 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

Is Lagos The Best Place For Dangote Refinery? - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is Lagos The Best Place For Dangote Refinery? (26924 Views)

NMDPRA Denies Approving Import Licence For Dangote / World's Largest Atmospheric Tower For Dangote Refinery Sets Sail From China (PIC / They Shutdown Ibeto Cement Owned By Igbo Man For Dangote To Dominate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Lagos The Best Place For Dangote Refinery? by Ellasure: 12:45pm On May 23, 2023
marticeus:
Everybody is seriously considering the profits and the employment benefits accrueing from the refinery but nobody has considered environmental health hazard from such projects. You don't have built a giant fractional distillation column just in one place, it can be scaled down and spaced over wide areas in the delta to avoid suffocation in one place.
Fertilizer plant is also coming with it's own dangerous emissions.
If you really want to check the environmental impact and assessment of the refinery, keep a proper data of visits to ENT section of LUTH and other tertiary institutions in Lagos and Ogun. The numbers will be tripled in the coming years if you are in doubt ask Uniport teaching hospitals. The number of people suffering from respiratory illnesses will be increased especially those living in Lekki/Ibeju axis of Lagos.

prophets of dooms.

do you have specific experiences or through reading plagiarized documents on the internet?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lagos The Best Place For Dangote Refinery? by Babysho(m): 12:46pm On May 23, 2023
Flangelo12:

It is a stupid thought.

If it were sited in Ondo state, won't people live there?

The refineries in Warri did not kill people.

See as you dey fight for capitalist who probably used your own money to build that refinery and will now pay you less than you deserve to work and refine OUR oil so he can become a billionaire. The only thing you should be doing is scrutinizing that refinery and it’s health hazards, not defending it.

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos The Best Place For Dangote Refinery? by Greattie08: 12:46pm On May 23, 2023
This is a needless article or piece, in fact, it makes no sense...

All these you raised must have been taking care of in the MoU signed among FG, LASG & Dangote Group.

Meanwhile, b4 Dangote thought of siting the refinery in Lagos, he has gone to Ondo State Government then led by Olusegun Mimiko who gave him a cold shoulder due to personal interests which were not agreed to (hmmm visionless leadership) before meeting Asiwaju who assured him that Lagos will receive him, this is vision.

Industrialization brings all the points you highlighted above but there are Environment Protect Act to regulate all these.

In fact, Lagos is the Centre of Excellence & if you do not site it here, where else?
Re: Is Lagos The Best Place For Dangote Refinery? by Angel55555(m): 12:46pm On May 23, 2023
limeta:
OP you very right
How will they know ,Even if you warn them their mumu sophistication won't leave them alone .
🤡
Re: Is Lagos The Best Place For Dangote Refinery? by beerfraud: 12:46pm On May 23, 2023
nony43:

You are daft . Is there a sea in the East? Daft mofo .
you be fuul
Is there a see in Kaduna where kaduna refinery is situated?

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos The Best Place For Dangote Refinery? by quickly: 12:48pm On May 23, 2023
Mrfeel:
How about the environmental pollution it will cause in Lagos , is lagos not too small and crowded for such a big refinery?

I read:
Oil refineries emit large amounts of air pollutants such as sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides, and particulate matter. These pollutants can cause respiratory problems, including asthma, and increase the risk of heart disease and lung cancer etc i think lagos is too small and crowded for such a big refinery

Dangote is going to make Lekki a nightmare just like he did to Apapa. He and his mad drivers destroy roads

U will see tankers every where

Ppl will be running away from Lekki

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lagos The Best Place For Dangote Refinery? by rummmy: 12:51pm On May 23, 2023
Please where will the crude come from because I know SW don't have any or maybe very small around ondo state due to boundary adjustment.
Re: Is Lagos The Best Place For Dangote Refinery? by Lovelyn451(f): 12:51pm On May 23, 2023
beerfraud:
IPob terrorists will blow it up if situated in south east
biko let it stay in dat lagos o, I don't want pollution here abeg

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos The Best Place For Dangote Refinery? by simfrost90210: 12:52pm On May 23, 2023
Mrfeel:
How about the environmental pollution it will cause in Lagos , is lagos not too small and crowded for such a big refinery?

I read:
Oil refineries emit large amounts of air pollutants such as sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides, and particulate matter. These pollutants can cause respiratory problems, including asthma, and increase the risk of heart disease and lung cancer etc i think lagos is too small and crowded for such a big refinery

Whether it is or not, e don dey be say e don dey.. Nothing spoil.. Wetin come dey be say make dem dey move petrol dey waka everywhere for we naija.. Na dat one be the koko jare🙄
Re: Is Lagos The Best Place For Dangote Refinery? by Litmus: 12:53pm On May 23, 2023
seunmsg:

So, where is the best place if not Lagos?

Delta state, probably, but I.T.K youths carrying militancy for head, put paid to significant investor interest in the region....

I.T.K youths down East haven't learnt from Delta.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lagos The Best Place For Dangote Refinery? by gr8child(m): 12:59pm On May 23, 2023
Isn’t it too late for this question?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lagos The Best Place For Dangote Refinery? by Originalsly: 1:09pm On May 23, 2023
Mrfeel:

Refineries are not usually located close to large residential areas because of the pollutants and their effect on health. In developed countries the EPA is very proactive .. emissions are closely monitored and laws are consistently enforced. What is our track record on pollution? It seems like we as a nation are ignorant of the effects of this kind pollution. When the effects start taking a toll on our health we will either blame village people or the devil. We neither have the capacity to monitor pollutants nor the capacity to manage the consequences.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lagos The Best Place For Dangote Refinery? by BabaAduras: 1:11pm On May 23, 2023
Mrfeel:

But how about the environmental pollution it will cause in Lagos?

Modern refineries are not major pollutants. I work and live in Corpus Christ, Tx, USA. There are about 5 major oil related industries in the city.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lagos The Best Place For Dangote Refinery? by SmartyPants(m): 1:13pm On May 23, 2023
lexy2014:

1. you claimed that Dangote is in Edo state because Edo state has an LFTZ structure similar to that of Lagos. when did Edo state government put LFTZ in okpella?

2. is it like Dangote had all the various locations from PH, Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Ogun, Ondo and Lagos on the table and then out of all these he chose Lagos because of LFTZ?

3. if there was no LFTZ in lagos, are you saying Dangote wouldnt have sited the refinery in Lagos?

1. How can Edo put LFTZ in Okpella? The L stands for Lekki. I said Edo created a similar (similar does not mean identical) structure - that is a similar concept in terms of investment-friendly policies such as free or discounted land.

2. I told you my statement was based on what Dangote said so why not forward subsequent queries on this subject to him? I wouldn't know his reasoning except for that which he has said openly.

3. See 2 above.

3 Likes

Re: Is Lagos The Best Place For Dangote Refinery? by Flangelo12: 1:18pm On May 23, 2023
Babysho:

See as you dey fight for capitalist who probably used your own money to build that refinery and will now pay you less than you deserve to work and refine OUR oil so he can become a billionaire. The only thing you should be doing is scrutinizing that refinery and it’s health hazards, not defending it.

What is wrong with capitalism?

If you were given the visa to USA today, tell us you wouldn't go.

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos The Best Place For Dangote Refinery? by Ingocof(m): 1:20pm On May 23, 2023
Isobug:

Con man... everything thing is Tribalism to you. Why not argue sensibly. This is a very vital issue he raised. Some places in Ondo are far better

I repeat, you can take it to Agulu in Anambra state.
I love seeing obidents crying.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lagos The Best Place For Dangote Refinery? by eroticecstasy: 1:20pm On May 23, 2023
beerfraud:
IPob terrorists will blow it up if situated in south east

What about the pipeline supplying crude to the refinery? Isn't it coming from south-south?
Re: Is Lagos The Best Place For Dangote Refinery? by Isobug: 1:24pm On May 23, 2023
Ingocof:

I repeat, you can take it to Agulu in Anambra state.
I love seeing obidents crying.
You need a prayer
Re: Is Lagos The Best Place For Dangote Refinery? by Ingocof(m): 1:25pm On May 23, 2023
Isobug:

You need a prayer

You are very correct, I need prayer, but if you don't think you need prayer what of curse?
Re: Is Lagos The Best Place For Dangote Refinery? by Hndrrxxx(m): 1:26pm On May 23, 2023
iammo:

Rule 2 mynd44 Seun Nlfpmod dominique Obinoscopy
fuxkin shut up man
Pussios demman

1 Like 4 Shares

Re: Is Lagos The Best Place For Dangote Refinery? by Kukutenla: 1:28pm On May 23, 2023
Dsalvo:

No it was not. Politics and lack of vision killed it for Ogun State. Lagos has no such issue because Tinubu's brand of politics means everyone moves in the same progressive direction for the greater good of the State.

Even the GAC, governorship advisory committee, is a powerful body in place to check excesses of Lagos Governors and ensure they do not derail or become unapproachable dictators.

Same way, for example, an excellent and dominant football manager like Pep Guardiola believes no player or individual is greater than the team.

Most Nigerian States do not have that and this is why they are not operating anywhere near their true potentials. Instead they host inflexible tin gods and dictators who brook no opposition and believe thing must be done their way alone.

Incidentally, this is the main reason Buhari failed horribly in many critical sectors to the extent his legacy cannot be viewed as anything other than failed.

While Dangote refinery is a testimony to the drive and focus of our foremost businessman, it is also tribute to how Tinubu and those he settles on are visionaries who prioritise growth, development and progress above everything else.
You write a lot of rubbish elegantly. If GAC exists to check the excesses of governors in Lagos, can you tell me what then is the job of the state assembly as prescribed by the Constitution. The governor is a creation of the Constitution and not APC and he ordinarily should answer to no one except who the Constitution asks him to answer to. Anything outside that is mafia rule and state capture.
Besides, let's even assume you're correct about the GAC, since there was no such organ when Tinubu held office as governor, may I ask who kept him in check while in office? Or do you mean he is so perfect that he couldn't become a dictator like his successors?
There was nothing like GAC during the time of Marwa and Jakande yet Lagos also witnessed unprecedented developments as well.
So quit all this sychophantic whitewashing of a looting machine which exists to ensure every goody coming to Lagos is well cornered by an emperor and his cronies.
Except if you're benefiting from it sha
Re: Is Lagos The Best Place For Dangote Refinery? by lexy2014: 1:31pm On May 23, 2023
SmartyPants:

1. How can Edo put LFTZ in Okpella? The L stands for Lekki. I said Edo created a similar (similar does not mean identical) structure - that is a similar concept in terms of investment-friendly policies such as free or discounted land.

2. I told you my statement was based on what Dangote said so why not forward subsequent queries on this subject to him? I wouldn't know his reasoning except for that which he has said openly.

3. See 2 above.

1. Good. So where is that "similar concept" in okpella?

2. You don't know his reasoning but you were emphatic when you it was because of LFTZ that Dangote chose Lagos over other locations. If u didn't know his reasoning, why were you emphatic?

3. No number 3 has nothing to do with number 2. If Dangote was strictly looking for an FTZ, why was he in Ondo and Ogun before he came to Lagos to site his refinery? If there was no LFTZ in Lagos, would Dangote not have sited his refinery in Lagos? Was LFTZ his first choice?
Re: Is Lagos The Best Place For Dangote Refinery? by Nobody: 1:32pm On May 23, 2023
Kukutenla:

You write a lot of rubbish elegantly. If GAC exists to check the excesses of governors in Lagos, can you tell me what then is the job of the state assembly as prescribed by the Constitution. The governor is a creation of the Constitution and not APC and he ordinarily should answer to no one except who the Constitution asks him to answer to. Anything outside that is mafia rule and state capture.
Besides, let's even assume you're correct about the GAC, since there was no such organ when Tinubu held office as governor, may I ask who kept him in check while in office? Or do you mean he is so perfect that he couldn't become a dictator like his successors?
There was nothing like GAC during the time of Marwa and Jakande yet Lagos also witnessed unprecedented developments as well.
So quit all this sychophantic whitewashing of a looting machine which exists to ensure every goody coming to Lagos is well cornered by an emperor and his cronies.
Except if you're benefiting from it sha

Whatever. We all have opinions. Reality is what matters.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lagos The Best Place For Dangote Refinery? by Goodlady(f): 1:36pm On May 23, 2023
BeigJawnson:

What are you saying that is sweeting you? Profit will overwhelm the disadvantages... Are you saying the profit s that will be made from that refinery will go into Nigeria's purse or treasury? Nigeria owns the refinery or Dangote?
Dangote owned it and he ll pay for any inconveniences. It's like families fighting a telecom network company cos their mast erected ll cause medical issues. When they v collected money and paid for future inconveniences.
Dangote is paying monthly for anything he do with the refinery. If they take it away from Lagos, where ll they put it?
Ogun or Ondo? Or the already congested and militant infested Niger Delta?
Abi na North wey no get sea?
Let it start operation and let's hope they manage it well.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

FBN Holdings Confirms Hassan-Odukale As Single-Largest Shareholder / USSD: NCC Bars Telcos From Charging Customers / Ghana’s Inflation Hits 40.4% In October 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.