Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,851 members, 7,813,892 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:51 PM

Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics (39606 Views)

Tinubu - Flashback On 2012 Subsidy Removal Attempt / Sanusi's Removal: Atedo Peterside Rejects CBN's Invitation / Governor Wike & Dakuku Peterside Meet In Okrika (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Evilspirit666: 6:10am On Jun 05, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:
So what difference will it make apologizing? Some people just like making unnecessary noise. Almost 95% of Nigerians were against the removal of the subsidy in 2012 simply because we did not trust the government of the day.
I pity you
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by AareGaa: 6:18am On Jun 05, 2023
BERNIMOORE:
Pastor Bakare first

They were all misinforming gullible Nigerians unfortunately they wanted Jonathan post

Bakare spent 100 million and got zero vote
Sowore that use his sahara reporters was disgraced and nowhere
Atiku that decamped to APC was beaten thrice

Keep quiet!
Ibos messed up Jonathan's govt

1 Like

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by seunmsg(m): 6:19am On Jun 05, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:

In May 2012 Price was $3.791 per gallon in the USA

In May 2023 price was $3.666 per gallon in USA. this shows that the price even came down.

Why are you guys like this? Why must you guys always make Nigeria's case different? Why?

And you are here still justifying and trying to defend defiantly.

By your own analogy, the price per gallon in Nigeria at exactly the same period in 2012 would be N150x$3.791 = N568.6. In May 2023, the same product will sell in Nigeria at N750x$3.666 = N2750.

If one liter in Nigeria today is N530 average, a gallon of four liters should be 4x530 = N2120. So, it is still cheaper in Nigeria than even the US.

I hope you can now see the difference. When you’re making comparison, you factor in exchange rate differences.

1 Like

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by PeachtreeReside(f): 6:20am On Jun 05, 2023
Yawns, since we are in the season of apologies, Jonathan needs to apologise for Diezani's huge pilfering amongst other things.

If you cannot change your mind when confronted with new evidences or changed circumstances, you are to be greatly pitied.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by AareGaa: 6:21am On Jun 05, 2023
sirchim:
Especially APCHEAT, cos I saw Hell Rufai, BULLHARI, THIEFNIBU, the so called Prof, if you Sabi, carry go and a lot of them.

The defeat your master suffered at the polls still dey pepper you?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 6:21am On Jun 05, 2023
seunmsg:

I think we’ve all agreed that not allowing Jonathan remove the subsidy completely in 2012 was a big mistake. Now that we’ve all realized the danger of keeping the subsidy regime, is it not better we remove it now for good?
So that the criminals in Govt will loot the money abi.
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by sapele914(m): 6:23am On Jun 05, 2023
Vinnie2000:

Add Tunde Bakare and Wole Soyinka.😒

Esp That Hypocritical Professor that CAN'T defend his Views
But Cowardly tries to use Grandiloquent Words to intimidate others. sad
They were the Hypocrites In 2012, & you are the Hypocrites playing hypocrites in 2023?

Shameless Hypocrite.

1 Like

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by sapele914(m): 6:24am On Jun 05, 2023
HIGHESTPOPORI:
So that the criminals in Govt will loot the money abi.
Your State & Local Government Criminals?
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by seunmsg(m): 6:25am On Jun 05, 2023
obi58:

I beg to differ sir.

What determines market price? Cost of crude oil

Who owns the crude oil? Nigerians

Why can't our refineries work and why can't we refine locally? Corruption simple and short.

Obasanjo did not make the refineries work. Jonathan did not make the refineries work. Buhari did not make the refineries work. Hopefully, Dangote refinery will work and PH refinery will come back alive.

2 Likes

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by sapele914(m): 6:27am On Jun 05, 2023
PeachtreeReside:
Yawns, since we are in the season of apologies, Jonathan needs to apologise for Diezani's huge pilfering amongst other things.

If you cannot change your mind when confronted with new evidences or changed circumstances, you are to be greatly pitied.
You they mind those hypocrites, because I was against an issue in 2012, I don’t have the right to change my views in 2023?

All these Obidient Nigerians & hypocrisy, only idiots will keep doing the same things for decades, & expect a different outcome.

Atedo Peterside a man I was respected highly, has shown himself to be an idiot.

3 Likes

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by AareGaa: 6:28am On Jun 05, 2023
Vinnie2000:

Add Tunde Bakare and Wole Soyinka.😒

Esp That Hypocritical Professor that CAN'T defend his Views
But Cowardly tries to use Grandiloquent Words to intimidate others. sad

Carry your frustrations commot here!

Your crippled Prof Achebe could not unlaced Soyinka's boots throughout his miserable existence.
He spent his entire life languishing on wheelchairs due to his bitterness and envy of Wole Soyinka.
Yoruba Na your mates?

1 Like

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by ItswellMike: 6:30am On Jun 05, 2023
seunmsg:
This old man and fraudulent election poll merchant is still pained about Jonathan’s 2015 election loss. 2012 is gone and done with. No one owes anybody any apologies.
I love those that stand against d truth...
GOAT

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by seunmsg(m): 6:30am On Jun 05, 2023
Jiggyronnie:

Actually you are wrong. From your comments on this thread, you keep on arguing that even if our refineries are functioning optimally, we will still be paying almost the same price per litre for PMS as we are paying now. That reasoning is shocking, to say the least.
Do you know the indices that make up the pricing of PMS?
Do you know the huge price differential when you factor in forex for exportation of crude, refining in another Country and then importing PMS to Nigeria, as against simply supplying the crude oil to refineries within the Country, refining it and then distributing the product around the Country?
The prices can NEVER be the same, or even almost the same. Even if you don't understand the economics involved, simple logic should be enough for some level of understanding.
Also, what do you understand by 'market forces' you keep on saying? Do you realize that FOREX is a major market force? And it applies to Nigeria in this case simply because we export our crude to be refined outside? Now imagine the price regime if FOREX isn't a factor!
Pls don't post false information here, it's very misleading for those who may come here to get info

I projected the price to be around N400 if we are to refine locally as against the N530 national average.

Let’s assume I’m wrong, how much do you think petrol will sell for if we refine locally? N195, right?

1 Like

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by caprini1: 6:31am On Jun 05, 2023
seunmsg:

The part in bold is wrong. Very wrong. Government is not paying subsidy because we import petrol. Government pay subsidy because Nigerians don’t want to buy petrol at market determined price. We want to buy petrol at a price regulated below the cost of production and profit margin of petrol importers and refiners. Let’s understand this and not confuse each other, please.

Ok, so how come petroleum products imported from Russia, doesn't obey the so called market prices and is always extremely cheaper?
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by AareGaa: 6:32am On Jun 05, 2023
Jlow2:
Apc said there was nothing like subsidy, tinubu lead his thugs to occupy Ojota, and used the ignorant,naive and tribalist southwest to frustrate gej, 11 years down the line he is removing at 600 same thing that was removed at 120 and gej was crucified as long it’s not coming from there tribesman it is never good, hypocrites.

Bring out your own thugs and start protesting by tomorrow or you shut up your smelling mouth.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by seunmsg(m): 6:35am On Jun 05, 2023
emmybobo1:

The argument here is why are yorubas tribalizing the issue, victimizing those who resist it. But in 2012 nobody GEj and pdp didn't see it as a tribal thing neither did the pdp supporters victimize a section of the country

Yours is the first tribal comment I would see on this thread. You’re the tribalist here.

1 Like

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 6:36am On Jun 05, 2023
seunmsg:

By your own analogy, the price per gallon in Nigeria at exactly the same period in 2012 would be N150x$3.791 = N568.6. In May 2023, the same product will sell in Nigeria at N750x$3.666 = N2750.

If one liter in Nigeria today is N530 average, a gallon of four liters should be 4x530 = N2120. So, it is still cheaper in Nigeria than even the US.

I hope you can now see the difference. When you’re making comparison, you factor in exchange rate differences.
Is our currency dollar or naira?
Haba!
Again what their citizens earn (in $) including their minimum wage can conveniently afford it.

But same cannot be said about Nigeria whose wages, and salaries have remained relatively static through all these increments, relentless hike in price of goods and services and now petrol. It is not sustainable at all.

Right now fewer and fewer people can only enjoy the good things of life due to all these inimical policies.

Is it a good thing if let's say 100, 000 people could conveniently afford something in the past

But now only 10,000 people can afford it, unless they engage in fraud or corruption? Is it good? Is this progress? Is this not a shameful retrogression?

1 Like

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by egoldman(m): 6:39am On Jun 05, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:
So what difference will it make apologizing? Some people just like making unnecessary noise. Almost 95% of Nigerians were against the removal of the subsidy in 2012 simply because we did not trust the government of the day.

MUGU, so now we trust this drug lord that has been forced on us?
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Kaiser20: 6:39am On Jun 05, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:
So what difference will it make apologizing? Some people just like making unnecessary noise. PpAlmost 95% of Nigerians were against the removal of the subsidy in 2012 simply because we did not trust the government of the day.
Now you trust the government abi? Mumu no fit you, change !
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by dettolgel: 6:45am On Jun 05, 2023
seunmsg:

I think we’ve all agreed that not allowing Jonathan remove the subsidy completely in 2012 was a big mistake. Now that we’ve all realized the danger of keeping the subsidy regime, is it not better we remove it now for good?

How do you do it; speaking from both sides of the mouth?

You could have typed this as your first post on this thread rather than trying to manipulate issue and spread disinformation not until some people started calling out the bs in your post.

Now you are trying to play it down and you stylishly accepted the truth.

Would it kill you to either say the truth from the get-go or just don't say anything?

A times based on what I read on NL I am conflicted on the moral compass of most people on this forum.

By the way good morning.
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Nobody: 6:47am On Jun 05, 2023
No wonder Peter Obi has the details and facts about fuel subsidy, how to remove it and move the economy Forward.

Jonathan wasn't going to do a gradual removal, so also is PETER OBI. Obi is definitely the best man for the job. He has a well planned agenda.
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by egoldman(m): 6:49am On Jun 05, 2023
seunmsg:
This old man and fraudulent election poll merchant is still pained about Jonathan’s 2015 election loss. 2012 is gone and done with. No one owes anybody any apologies.

You are too shameless, always try to defend the indefensible, is it a crime for you to stand on the side of truth?

Yet u will go and buy fuel over 500,yiur transport fare increased by 50 to 100 %, you should chnage ur moniker to SUFFERINGNSMILLING.
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by seunmsg(m): 6:53am On Jun 05, 2023
Magnetic010:
Sir I almost completely agreed with you then I remember that the immediate past government removed(or at least reduced the amount paid as subsidy) and promised to channel the saved money into other sectors of the economy- since then however I can’t point at any project the government started/completed with said savings. So when this government successfully removes subsidy this time what happens to the money? Whose pocket(s) will it end up this time… At the end of the day it’s still me and you that will have to buy fuel at a higher rate, buy gas at an exorbitant rate, buy rice at an increased rate, buy every other household commodities at a higher rate and still pay taxes, pay for security(vigilante every month) pay electricity bill and I’m almost certain next rent will be higher than previous one…Yet salaries will remain what it was before the new pump prices, aren’t you tired? I know must of us are so used to being mistreated by those in elected position, we’ve all grown a thick skin but does that make it right my man?

I’m not entirely against removing subsidy what I want to make very very abundantly clear is that those millions of dollars they tell you will be saved from removing subsidy will end up in someone/some peoples account why you and every other citizen suffers the after effect

Accountability is another issue entirely. I agree with a lot of your concerns as they are valid but we must give this new government the benefit of doubt.

One thing we’ve all agreed upon is that subsidy is unsustainable. It is a very wasteful adventure that gives the people little benefit but gives importers and foreign countries a lot of benefits.

Once it is removed and we notice it is being looted, I will willingly join any uprising against the government.

1 Like

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Bringbackmandat: 6:53am On Jun 05, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:
and who trust the present government.
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by tete7000(m): 6:56am On Jun 05, 2023
GUNITGuy:

Oil is not as profitable as it was during Gej.....The Arab spring and middle easterner wars made many nations to turn to Nigeria .....That was the height of oil sale Nigeria ever had .......They were so many wastage under Gej inspite of his economic teams ...The Uk prime minister James Cameron Attested to this fact were he referred to Nigeria as fantastically corrupt in 2014

Oil is as profitable during Jonathan's regime as all through Buhari's time. What killed Nigeria's oil industry in Nigeria during Buhari's regime was his senseless oil corruption fight. You met a working oil security contract on ground yielding 2.1m barrel per day and you killed it and turn oil theft into something that sank the production to meagre 1m barrel a day. Apart from that needless money were being senselessly spent in getting oil from Chad and Benue basin's dry well.
I always found it funny that APC and their supporters always alude to prosperity that came the way of Nigeria via oil sale during Jonathan's regime without giving credit for the regime who made it possible. When Yar'adua regime came into power, militants destructive activities was at its peak and Nigeria was barely producing 1m barrel in a day. To end the militants' activities, Jonathan entered the creek at his own risk and engaged the militants in dialogue, they ended up giving them security contract that enable Nigeria stop sabotage and destruction and that enabled Nigeria shore up its production.
Now Buhari came to power, instead of consolidating gain made, he chose to pursue shadow and allow oil theft to thrive to the point where our production dropped drastically. And for your information all throughout Buhari's regime, oil average price range is $60-$70 per barrels, how else will oil be productive when you have good price regime? Ongoing war in Ukraine has consistently in the recent time maintain oil price relatively high and there is market for oil because if there is none, the price would have dropped. That is basic economy you should be able to grab, without demand, price will slide down.

1 Like

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by zubby4567(m): 6:58am On Jun 05, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:
We no trust dis govt also
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Kubin: 6:59am On Jun 05, 2023
femisplash:
Atedo is a clown, nobody will apologise to any failures. GEJ removed subsidy partially and fuel price went up from 65 to 97 naira. stop making it sound like GEJ did not remove subsidy at all.
your continues support for evil will one day consume you.
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by seunmsg(m): 7:02am On Jun 05, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:

Is our currency dollar or naira?
Haba!
Again what their citizens earn (in $) including their minimum wage can conveniently afford it.

But same cannot be said about Nigeria whose wages, and salaries have remained relatively static through all these increments, relentless hike in price of goods and services and now petrol. It is not sustainable at all.

Right now fewer and fewer people can only enjoy the good things of life due to all these inimical policies.

Is it a good thing if let's say 100, 000 people could conveniently afford something in the past

But now only 10,000 people can afford it, unless they engage in fraud or corruption? Is it good? Is this progress? Is this not a shameful retrogression?

You brought the US comparison and not me. You were trying to prove that the price of 2012 would have remained the same in 2023 and I proved you wrong. Even a bottle of beer in 2012 is not the same again.

See, we all want a better Nigeria so let’s stop all this politically tainted argument and make pragmatic decisions for our country. I’m going to buy at the same N530 like the rest of Nigerians so don’t think I’m not affected. But this is one suffering we all have to face sooner than later. We’ve been postponing this reality since 1999 and we are getting to the point where we will no longer be able to borrow money and pay for this subsidy. It is unsustainable.

We either face it now once and for all or watch the country run into a hole of financial crisis. Politics will not save us when that time comes.

2 Likes

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by seunmsg(m): 7:03am On Jun 05, 2023
caprini1:
Ok, so how come petroleum products imported from Russia, doesn't obey the so called market prices and is always extremely cheaper?

Really? How much is the price of petroleum imported from Russia? Please educate me.

2 Likes

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Traplord09: 7:04am On Jun 05, 2023
Ismael97:
We apologize to Goodluck Jonathan for all the actrocities we committed against him.

See this one 😂😂😂😂
Just wait till December lol 1000
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by true2god: 7:05am On Jun 05, 2023
slivertongue:
We've gone pass 2012.

Subsidy removal is must. But it has been removed by Buhari but his men still budgeted for subsidy and diverted it. This administration wants money and is using removal of subsidy to jack up cost of goods which in turn will attract higher taxes.
EVIL Yoruba souls everywhere.
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Deemas(m): 7:05am On Jun 05, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

The apology will put us all on the same page okay. You didn't trust the then government in power but you trust the 1 week old government. On what basis did you draw your judgement from?

Make I catch you, na better slap you go chop.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Dino Melaye Is A Potential HIV Carrier, He Gave Me Syphilis- Actress / Surround Yourself With ‘Right’ People, Mbaka Tells Buhari / Benue Apc Youth Leader Looses Right Hand(graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.