Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,930 members, 7,810,590 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:40 AM

Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics (39572 Views)

Tinubu - Flashback On 2012 Subsidy Removal Attempt / Sanusi's Removal: Atedo Peterside Rejects CBN's Invitation / Governor Wike & Dakuku Peterside Meet In Okrika (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Traplord09: 7:07am On Jun 05, 2023
Tekzyflex:

So suddenly you now trust this government. Wow!!

Nigerian zooo na playing ground
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by SMUAG(m): 7:12am On Jun 05, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

But as far as this psm subsidy, I support the removal kpatakpata.

I don't think because Obi said he will remove subsidy so we should also support the removal by Tinubu.
Have we ever thought if at all the proceeds from it will ever be channeled to the appropriate channels when we know our politicians are like goat and yam. Poor masses will still suffer for it, believe me.
If they really want to do something good, first, Tinubu should cut down cost of governance (politicians' heavy take home and downsize their numerous PAs) and re-channel the funds from their into other major parts of our sectors that the general masses can benefit hugely from. After that then I think subsidy removal can be possible....

2 Likes

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Henrymas(m): 7:12am On Jun 05, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:
So what difference will it make apologizing? Some people just like making unnecessary noise. Almost 95% of Nigerians were against the removal of the subsidy in 2012 simply because we did not trust the government of the day.

Do we trust this one now? Mugu!
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Blessed4sure: 7:13am On Jun 05, 2023
And why would Nigerians not want subsidy, when the minimum wage is #30,000?

seunmsg:

The part in bold is wrong. Very wrong. Government is not paying subsidy because we import petrol. Government pay subsidy because Nigerians don’t want to buy petrol at market determined price. We want to buy petrol at a price regulated below the cost of production and profit margin of petrol importers and refiners. Let’s understand this and not confuse each other, please.

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Mrpojj(m): 7:17am On Jun 05, 2023
seunmsg:

The part in bold is wrong. Very wrong. Government is not paying subsidy because we import petrol. Government pay subsidy because Nigerians don’t want to buy petrol at market determined price. We want to buy petrol at a price regulated below the cost of production and profit margin of petrol importers and refiners. Let’s understand this and not confuse each other, please.

You people will just talk rubbish,
At what point in your life did you have control over the price of petrol u want to buy?
May God deliver your from Stockholm syndrome

1 Like

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by bonnyhope: 7:21am On Jun 05, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:
So what difference will it make apologizing? Some people just like making unnecessary noise. Almost 95% of Nigerians were against the removal of the subsidy in 2012 simply because we did not trust the government of the day.

Now you trust the present govt
Una mumu too much for this part of the world

1 Like

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Robchuks77(m): 7:25am On Jun 05, 2023
NAIRALAND.COM IS CURRENTLY FILLED TO THE BRIM WITH EMPTY SKULLED BIGOTS.. THAT POSSES NOTHING BUT LIES AND PROPAGANDA, JUST TO SUPPORT A GOVERNMENT WEY NO SEND DIA PAPA

1 Like

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by chosengocap: 7:27am On Jun 05, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

Who are the ones trusting this new government which started on a wrong foot .
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Global2000: 7:27am On Jun 05, 2023
Tinubu, I can't stop calling that man names. Cause most of the dilemma Nigerians found themselves today was mostly initiated by Tinubu and co.
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by eezor: 7:27am On Jun 05, 2023
femisplash:

From all indications, you seem to be an illiterate. Does Nigeria control the price of fuel?
Y r u arguing with someone who is not ready to learn? You are obviously wasting this academic exercise.
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by GEEBITE: 7:31am On Jun 05, 2023
But you have no problem with his accurate 2015 poll in favour of Buhari. Now tell me with your level 10 civil servant salary how you can afford petrol at 500naira per litre.It means without kickbacks or shady deals you can not afford it
seunmsg:
This old man and fraudulent election poll merchant is still pained about Jonathan’s 2015 election loss. 2012 is gone and done with. No one owes anybody any apologies.
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Iceberg3: 7:39am On Jun 05, 2023
grandstar:

I got an F9 in economics and geography. embarassed

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Ened(m): 7:41am On Jun 05, 2023
slivertongue:

Market forces - another deceptive jargon. Subsidy has long been removed, all FG has been doing is to raise revenue using 'subsidy tale'. Another govt will come with such in the future. NIGERIANS are easy to corner. Since 1999 it has been the same claim even when the prices of oil is lower in the international market. What are the exact figures added to subsidize petroleum products in Nigeria is always a tale of 'about', nothing specific.
It's only an illiterate that will say there's no subsidy on pms. It is also an illiterate that will fail to realize that we subsidize for other neighboring countries. Ignorance & corruption, I don't know which is doing more harm to Nigeria.
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Princerichi0(m): 7:50am On Jun 05, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

True, Nigerians have enormous trust for the tinubus government.
I'll keep saying this, PDP is the worst opposition party.
APC politized the policy on subsidy and turned Nigerians against Goodluck's government. What is PDP doing? They are attacking their fellow opposition party LABOUR PARTY. Bunch of f00Is them PDP members

1 Like

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Ened(m): 7:52am On Jun 05, 2023
SMUAG:

I don't think because Obi said he will remove subsidy so we should also support the removal by Tinubu.
Have we ever thought if at all the proceeds from it will ever be channeled to the appropriate channels when we know our politicians are like goat and yam. Poor masses will still suffer for it, believe me.
If they really want to do something good, first, Tinubu should cut down cost of governance (politicians' heavy take home and downsize their numerous PAs) and re-channel the funds from their into other major parts of our sectors that the general masses can benefit hugely from. After that then I think subsidy removal can be possible....

It's a case of chicken and egg, which came first. Subsidy removal and cutting down cost of govt are good policies. Whichever is tackled first is good as long as it doesn't stop the govt from tackling the other.
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by sirchim(m): 7:52am On Jun 05, 2023
AareGaa:

The defeat your master suffered at the polls still dey pepper you?
My master wasn't defeated , you RIGGED your way up, even your master knew it. If his own state of origin should reject him, and Lagos where he claimed Jagaban, then I rest my case.
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by seunmsg(m): 7:52am On Jun 05, 2023
GEEBITE:
But you have no problem with his accurate 2015 poll in favour of Buhari. Now tell me with your level 10 civil servant salary how you can afford petrol at 500naira per litre.It means without kickbacks or shady deals you can not afford it

I actually joined the service on level 10 over ten years ago. I’m now way above GL10.

2 Likes

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by caprini1: 7:59am On Jun 05, 2023
seunmsg:

Really? How much is the price of petroleum imported from Russia? Please educate me.
The international price for diesel for example as at today is $680 per ton excluding premium at offshore west Africa,but Products from Russia , you can buy at fixed prices , depending on the refinery involved,cheapest is always Krasnodar,which a military drone somehow 🙄 crashed into this week...they sell as low as $320 per ton.
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by MrAgbako: 8:10am On Jun 05, 2023
Cloudflare:

Is 97 naira not better? Dude, how much are you buying fuel now? Oga, tell Tinubu to take back to GEJ days when fuel was sold for 97 naira and things were cheap
even the iddiiotic obi won't be able to do that. You must be joking😂
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by seunmsg(m): 8:12am On Jun 05, 2023
caprini1:
The international price for diesel for example as at today is $680 per ton excluding premium at offshore west Africa,but Products from Russia , you can buy at fixed prices , depending on the refinery involved,cheapest is always Krasnodar,which a military drone somehow 🙄 crashed into this week...they sell as low as $320 per ton.

If the average international price of the commodity is $680 and Russia is selling at $320, do you need a soothsayer to tell you that Russia is deliberately selling at a loss because they can’t get buyers as a result of war related sanctions?

EU and the US have placed sanctions on Russian oil and gas. They can’t get buyers easily. They sell at heavily discounted price to the few who are willing to risk the consequences of US and EU sanctions.

2 Likes

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by AareGaa: 8:19am On Jun 05, 2023
sirchim:
My master wasn't defeated , you RIGGED your way up, even your master knew it. If his own state of origin should reject him, and Lagos where he claimed Jagaban, then I rest my case.

No Ibo man can win a free and fair elections in Nigeria.
That's why they planned a coup in 1966.
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Executive729: 8:22am On Jun 05, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

Now you trust the government of the day abi, nonsense upon nonsense
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by NoToPile: 8:24am On Jun 05, 2023
One constant thing I keep reading on this thread is that ' if the subsidy is removed the money will be looted" " what will happen to the subsidy money" etcetc

It seems a lot of people don't know a bill was passed, there is no more money for subsidy at all, no money provided for it, no money to be looted in the name of subsidy and no subsidy money to be saved.

There's no longer any money called subsidy money, provision was not made for it from end of this month.

Shikena.
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by simfrost90210: 8:26am On Jun 05, 2023
Magnetic010:
So if our refineries were workin at full capacity all four plus this new dangote refinery would be even be discussing the issue of subsidy sir?

🙄🙄🙄 haba
.., wait oo, i know Kaduna Refinery, i've heard and read about Warri and Port harcourt refineries.. my brother, which other refinery made it number four? I don hear dat thing too much, say na four refineries dey.. abeg tell me
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Jiggyronnie: 8:27am On Jun 05, 2023
seunmsg:

I projected the price to be around N400 if we are to refine locally as against the N530 national average.

Let’s assume I’m wrong, how much do you think petrol will sell for if we refine locally? N195, right?

Price of PMS is not what I can 'think' up, there's a pricing template that is used to compute it. But one thing I'm sure of is that the price per litre of PMS when refined locally will be way cheaper than when refined abroad.
The major consideration when refined locally is the global price per barrel of crude oil. That is why price should go up when crude oil price goes up globally. However with this increase in crude oil price, we as a producing nation should be smiling to the bank if we refine our crude locally, but the reverse is the case in Nigeria.
We should ask questions why huge sums of money have been spent on Turn-Around Maintenance of our moribund refineries for so many years now without anything to show for it.
Removal of PMS subsidy isn't an issue of today. This issue came into public light in January 2012 when there was the popular Occupy Nigeria protest, but what has been done in the past 11 years since then to ease the burden on the citizens when it is finally removed? Absolutely NOTHING! Nigeria as a country couldn't revive her moribund refineries or construct even 1 new one since 2012? That's a huge failure of our leadership!
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by kristorov(m): 8:28am On Jun 05, 2023
Now do you trust the present government?
Zxcvbnmghtr:
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by SMUAG(m): 8:32am On Jun 05, 2023
Ened:

It's a case of chicken and egg, which came first. Subsidy removal and cutting down cost of govt are good policies. Whichever is tackled first is good as long as it doesn't stop the govt from tackling the other.

Yeah, but the kleptomaniac in our political system are just too stubborn to start that with. Cutting down politicians heavy salaries and downsizing their numerous PAs should serve as litmus test, we shouldn't just hit the nail straight when even the person hitting it is well corrupt too....
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Asswipemod: 8:34am On Jun 05, 2023
seunmsg:

If the average international price of the commodity is $680 and Russia is selling at $320, do you need a soothsayer to tell you that Russia is deliberately selling at a loss because they can’t get buyers as a result of war related sanctions?

EU and the US have placed sanctions on Russian oil and gas. They can’t get buyers easily. They sell at heavily discounted price to the few who are willing to risk the consequences of US and EU sanctions.

Vladimir Kadoso Mutairu Putin.
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Asswipemod: 8:36am On Jun 05, 2023
seunmsg:

I actually joined the service on level 10 over ten years ago. I’m now way above GL10.

Ha! Kadoso!😱😱😱Lamba yi noni! You never run out of it.
😜😜😜
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 8:36am On Jun 05, 2023
seunmsg:

You see yourself na? It is all about you (myself), you (myself), you (myself)!

How about others in the private sector, others on the lower rung of society?

Now with this mentality, the resultant effect close to 50% unemployment, and other forms of hardship
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Asswipemod: 8:38am On Jun 05, 2023
seunmsg:

You brought the US comparison and not me. You were trying to prove that the price of 2012 would have remained the same in 2023 and I proved you wrong. Even a bottle of beer in 2012 is not the same again.

See, we all want a better Nigeria so let’s stop all this politically tainted argument and make pragmatic decisions for our country. I’m going to buy at the same N530 like the rest of Nigerians so don’t think I’m not affected. But this is one suffering we all have to face sooner than later. We’ve been postponing this reality since 1999 and we are getting to the point where we will no longer be able to borrow money and pay for this subsidy. It is unsustainable.

We either face it now once and for all or watch the country run into a hole of financial crisis. Politics will not save us when that time comes.

Ni kini? Buy wetin? You better go and get a bicycle because it's gonna take a while before you can afford to fill your tank.
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by obi58: 8:39am On Jun 05, 2023
seunmsg:

Obasanjo did not make the refineries work. Jonathan did not make the refineries work. Buhari did not make the refineries work. Hopefully, Dangote refinery will work and PH refinery will come back alive.

Dangote does not have two heads. If he could build the largest refinery in Africa in Nigeria from the scratch, a serious government can resurrect our refineries. Previous governments could not do this because of corruption shikena.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Buhari Dissolves Boards Of Federal Parastatals, Agencies / Mildred Okowa's Birthday: Governor Celebrates His First Daughter On Her Birthday / Asari Dokubo: Sanusi Is A Common Thief, A Liar. Should Be Sent To Prison (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.