Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,380 members, 7,822,787 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:52 PM

Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics (39665 Views)

Tinubu - Flashback On 2012 Subsidy Removal Attempt / Sanusi's Removal: Atedo Peterside Rejects CBN's Invitation / Governor Wike & Dakuku Peterside Meet In Okrika (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Asswipemod: 8:40am On Jun 05, 2023
seunmsg:

Accountability is another issue entirely. I agree with a lot of your concerns as they are valid but we must give this new government the benefit of doubt.

One thing we’ve all agreed upon is that subsidy is unsustainable. It is a very wasteful adventure that gives the people little benefit but gives importers and foreign countries a lot of benefits.

Once it is removed and we notice it is being looted, I will willingly join any uprising against the government.

Ironi o! Kadoso, you mean it?😊😊
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by DaddyJapan(m): 8:41am On Jun 05, 2023
April4th:

The same fuel subsidy the APC and Buhari said is a scam in 2012. From 2015 to May 2023, how many beneficiaries of this subsidy payments did the Buhari government prosecute or arrest? Rather they spent over 11 trillion naira on this same subsidy payments that is a scam o and Nigerians said nothing. It is well with this country

So my disquiet over an apology for Jonathan means I approve of Buhari's own stewardship bah?

Nah which school you take learn critical thinking skills again?
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by April4th(m): 8:44am On Jun 05, 2023
DaddyJapan:

So my disquiet over an apology for Jonathan means I approve of Buhari's own stewardship bah?

Nah which school you take learn critical thinking skills again?

Why is it that all you APC apologist love attacking the messenger instead of listening to the message? I raised a very valid point, instead of you to counter my claims you chose to attack my person. Just goes to show you how shallow you people think.
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by DaddyJapan(m): 8:55am On Jun 05, 2023
April4th:

Why is it that all you APC apologist love attacking the messenger instead of listening to the message? I raised a very valid point, instead of you to counter my claims you chose to attack my person. Just goes to show you how shallow you people think.

Ha, I see your problem clearly now - binary thinking.

P.S - SERAP tasks Tinubu on probe of alleged mismanaged $2.1b, N3.1tr fuel, subsidy funds
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by April4th(m): 8:59am On Jun 05, 2023
Reference:

Oga. Whether you refine or not. When you pay less that what the market price is you are being subsidized.

It was subsidies that killed the refineries in the first place and every business enterprise government owned from electricity production to airlines right from inception till now.

And watch it, subsidies will kill rail transport too. So if government builds a million refineries, if it cannot make enough revenue for maintenance everything will go down sooner than later.

Subsidies didn't kill the refineries, but corruption and gross incompetence. Go to warri refinery, it's working. They just abandon it and collect billions of dollars for turn around maintenance. The money the government has spent so far on maintaining our refineries, would've built more and up to date ones. I've worked in the oil and gas sector for over 20years, anybody that says our refineries are not working is a big thief. Same way they run Delta steel company aground, spent billions of dollars trying to revive it but to no avail. Obasanjo sold it to Acelor Mittal, the Indian steel magnate and within 1 week they were rolling out steel from their plant again until the government of Yaradua reverse the sale. Now the steel plant has gone back to dormancy.
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by April4th(m): 9:01am On Jun 05, 2023
2mch:

You are a stupid person. You have been roundly defeated. You started with the insult but can’t take it when I give you insult. Mad person.

Your generation and father is mad. I nor blame you, na the person wey buy you data I blame.
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by AFONAMARO: 9:03am On Jun 05, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:
So what difference will it make apologizing? Some people just like making unnecessary noise. Almost 95% of Nigerians were against the removal of the subsidy in 2012 simply because we did not trust the government of the day.

And you now trust the government of the day? I mean, same people that fought for it to be retained simply because, they weren't in control. Now that they are, they're singing a new song.
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by April4th(m): 9:05am On Jun 05, 2023
DaddyJapan:

Ha, I see your problem clearly now - binary thinking.

P.S - SERAP tasks Tinubu on probe of alleged mismanaged $2.1b, N3.1tr fuel, subsidy funds

So how many people or companies has the president probed for subsidy fraud? Secondly, is the FG supposed to wait for SERAP to remind them of their constitutional roles and duties?
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by DaddyJapan(m): 9:08am On Jun 05, 2023
April4th:

So how many people or companies has the president probed for subsidy fraud? Secondly, is the FG supposed to wait for SERAP to remind them of their constitutional roles and duties?

Do you know what a straw man argument is?

First you declare me an APC acolyte for daring to draw attention to Jonathan's incompetence, and now you are asking me to answer for the current/previous administration? You clearly don't think it is possible to walk and chew at the same time without tripping over. cool
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by diogo23: 9:11am On Jun 05, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:
So what difference will it make apologizing? Some people just like making unnecessary noise. Almost 95% of Nigerians were against the removal of the subsidy in 2012 simply because we did not trust the government of the day.
Where do you stand now idiot
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by diogo23: 9:12am On Jun 05, 2023
[quote author=femisplash post=123569396]Atedo is a clown, nobody will apologise to any failures. GEJ removed subsidy partially and fuel price went up from 65 to 97 naira. stop making it sound like GEJ did not remove subsidy at all.[k/quote]
Now your ancestor have taken over fuel is 1000 a litter
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Kekenary: 9:14am On Jun 05, 2023
So you trust the present government abi? Double standards Kee you there..
Zxcvbnmghtr:
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by dettolgel: 9:21am On Jun 05, 2023
seunmsg:

Accountability is another issue entirely. I agree with a lot of your concerns as they are valid but we must give this new government the benefit of doubt.

One thing we’ve all agreed upon is that subsidy is unsustainable. It is a very wasteful adventure that gives the people little benefit but gives importers and foreign countries a lot of benefits.

Once it is removed and we notice it is being looted, I will willingly join any uprising against the government.

Maybe I missed something, during the last 8 years even with the partial remover there was nothing to show for it and if I may ask where was your "rage" or "uprising"?

Given your antecedent who would think that this time around would be different? grin

1 Like

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Magnetic010: 9:25am On Jun 05, 2023
seunmsg:

But sir Nigeria as a nation removed subsidy from diesel, kerosene and even gas if I’m not mistaken- do any of us know where the Monies saved went into sir? No we don’t. The immediate past administration cut off from the amount paid as subsidy also but where was the saved money channeled into? We have no idea

Nigeria leaders have antecedent of corruption and waste so forgive me if I find it very very difficult to trust anyone at the helm of affairs. This new government will remove the subsidy nothing anyone can do about it but one thing I know for sure is you won’t see anything positive they do with the supposedly saved money- and that is my biggest quarrel with the entire thing…hope you get my point sir
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Magnetic010: 9:30am On Jun 05, 2023
simfrost90210:

🙄🙄🙄 haba
.., wait oo, i know Kaduna Refinery, i've heard and read about Warri and Port harcourt refineries.. my brother, which other refinery made it number four? I don hear dat thing too much, say na four refineries dey.. abeg tell me
They are two refineries in port-harcourt though I doubt if any is working at the moment
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by dettolgel: 9:33am On Jun 05, 2023
DaddyJapan:
Apologise for the industrial scale theft that took place under Jonathan' subsidy program?

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/apr/19/nigeria-fuel-subsidy-scheme-corruption

I think there is a problem with your thought process or this issue, I don't want to use the word binary, but you didn't think it true before typing.

The issue here is not about the corruption or non-corruption in GEJ administration but about a policy that he wanted to implement and was "persecuted" for it.

I think the idea of the apology is an avenue for people to accept that they were wrong and this I think would create a sense of humility in our society that anyone could make a mistake and can also retrace their steps.

Nigerian are the only people that when accosted with their mistakes instead of apologizing they will double down and find a way out.

In Nigeria we think that accepting one's mistake is a sign of weakness, but in reality it is actually a sign of strength.

In a sane clime people will accept their errors in judgment, apologies and move on. The good thing with such behavior is that you are teaching the young ones that mistake is part of life, if you happen to make one, it is okay to accept your fault apologies and learn from it.

Accepting one's error is not a sign of weakness.

Instead of accepting that pushing against it back then was an error of judgement, like you guys are doing we can shift from it and start talking about corruption then.

The problem with people that would rather shift the conversation to issue of corruption then, is that none of them are ready to talk about the corruption that plague the nation in the last 8 years. grin grin
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Clobisman(m): 9:34am On Jun 05, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:
So what has changed between then and now? Do Nigerians now trust the present government?
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Olamlag(m): 9:35am On Jun 05, 2023
Its so ironic that everyone kept saying that its only the rich that benefits from subsidy, but now that it has been removed the poor are the ones suffering.
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Clobisman(m): 9:36am On Jun 05, 2023
femisplash:
Atedo is a clown, nobody will apologise to any failures. GEJ removed subsidy partially and fuel price went up from 65 to 97 naira. stop making it sound like GEJ did not remove subsidy at all.

Weakling like you hide behind their phones to insult their destiny helpers without thinking.
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by DOM7: 9:43am On Jun 05, 2023
Only tribal demons will disagree with him, the excuse of we did not trust the government of that time sounds satanic for you to trust this one. The man that led the protest then was given the opportunity for eight years!!! But failed to do it only to ambushed his type if not worse. Let the demons start the attack I am covered!
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by slowice(m): 9:43am On Jun 05, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

You must slow down with that 95% figure you are throwing around. Those deceived yorubas with sprinkle other groups with corrupt interest doesn't represent 95% of Nigerians. You people were simply deceived and naive
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Tekzyflex(m): 10:01am On Jun 05, 2023
Traplord09:

Nigerian zooo na playing ground

I swear down
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by es144000: 10:05am On Jun 05, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:
It is this government Nigerians will trust with the character of the person we have ad president?Nigerians and tribalism.
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Elibaba1: 10:05am On Jun 05, 2023
femisplash:
Atedo is a clown, nobody will apologise to any failures. GEJ removed subsidy partially and fuel price went up from 65 to 97 naira. stop making it sound like GEJ did not remove subsidy at all.

97-65=32 (GEJ)
550-189=361(BAT)
You are a big fool.
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by seunmsg(m): 10:08am On Jun 05, 2023
obi58:

Dangote does not have two heads. If he could build the largest refinery in Africa in Nigeria from the scratch, a serious government can resurrect our refineries. Previous governments could not do this because of corruption shikena.

We’ve spend more than what Dangote used to build his own refinery to turn around our old refineries but they are still as dead as dodo. Spending money on the refineries is just like sinking money into a bottomless pit. It has never worked since 1999 and it won’t work. We must sell those refineries immediately and allow private investors handle the sector.

1 Like

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Gaskiya77: 10:18am On Jun 05, 2023
The truth indeed. For those who kicked against the removal of subsidy during Goodluck Jonathan's regime should tender apologies to him. People like Buhari, el- rufai including the sitting president Asiwaju and all those who came out to protest against PDP in 2015. People should learn to be accountable for their actions.
Why do Nigerians fight against good people and policies but keep mum over wicked people and policies?
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by seunmsg(m): 10:19am On Jun 05, 2023
Jiggyronnie:

Price of PMS is not what I can 'think' up, there's a pricing template that is used to compute it. But one thing I'm sure of is that the price per litre of PMS when refined locally will be way cheaper than when refined abroad.
The major consideration when refined locally is the global price per barrel of crude oil. That is why price should go up when crude oil price goes up globally. However with this increase in crude oil price, we as a producing nation should be smiling to the bank if we refine our crude locally, but the reverse is the case in Nigeria.
We should ask questions why huge sums of money have been spent on Turn-Around Maintenance of our moribund refineries for so many years now without anything to show for it.
Removal of PMS subsidy isn't an issue of today. This issue came into public light in January 2012 when there was the popular Occupy Nigeria protest, but what has been done in the past 11 years since then to ease the burden on the citizens when it is finally removed? Absolutely NOTHING! Nigeria as a country couldn't revive her moribund refineries or construct even 1 new one since 2012? That's a huge failure of our leadership!

Maybe I really don’t get what you’re arguing about because my post clearly allude to the fact that petrol should be cheaper when refined locally than when imported.

Your initially argument was that there will be no subsidy once we refine petrol locally and I corrected that impression that subsidy is not a function of local refining or importation but a direct result of price fixing by government.

If Dangote for example refines locally at a cost plus profit of N300 per liter and government fixed the price at N195, there will still be a subsidy element of N105 that government will have to bear to sustain the fixed price.

It is also not true that removal of subsidy started in 2012. We’ve been talking about removal of subsidy since the IBB administration. All the price increment under Obasanjo was about a gradual removal of subsidy. Jonathan only attempted to remove everything at once in 2012. So, it is nothing new truly but it dates far beyond 2012.

2 Likes

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by simfrost90210: 10:32am On Jun 05, 2023
Magnetic010:
They are two refineries in port-harcourt though I doubt if any is working at the moment

Oh Oh Oh.. I never knew it is two in PHC
.., they're all being serviced according to the FG but the supposed two refineries there in PHC are neither functional nor operational😕

1 Like

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by iamjavadem(m): 10:32am On Jun 05, 2023
Nope we did not know any better. Do we trust currently government too?
Zxcvbnmghtr:
Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Nobody: 10:36am On Jun 05, 2023
slivertongue:
We've gone pass 2012.

Subsidy removal is must. But it has been removed by Buhari but his men still budgeted for subsidy and diverted it. This administration wants money and is using removal of subsidy to jack up cost of goods which in turn will attract higher taxes.

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by hedonido: 10:37am On Jun 05, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

Oily mouthed idiot. You did not trust the government of the day, so it is your useless Tinubu that we should trust now?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Apologise To Jonathan, Okonjo-Iweala - Peterside To 2012 Subsidy Removal Critics by Nobody: 10:38am On Jun 05, 2023
seunmsg:

Your ignorance is appalling. You think the price will remain static till now from 2012? If we’ve allowed GEJ to fully remove subsidy in 2012 and eliminate regulated prices, the price per liter would still be around N500 today so what’s your point?

Fat lie!

If subsidy was removed then in 2012, by now things would have normalized and everyone would be smiling

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Gold Discovered In Bagwai And Shanno LGA In Kano (photos) / Nigeria Policeman Poses With Nnamdi Kanu (Photos) / Pictures PDP Campaign In Dawakin-tofa Kano Hometown Of Ganduje

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.