Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,158 members, 7,818,513 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:41 PM

Subsidy: NLC Absent As FG, TUC Meet In Aso Rock - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Subsidy: NLC Absent As FG, TUC Meet In Aso Rock (26791 Views)

Alleged Flouting Of Court Order: We Are Copying The FG - TUC President, Osifo / Fuel Subsidy: NLC Issues Seven-Day Nationwide Strike Notice / FG, TUC Meeting On Fuel Subsidy Removal Ends In Deadlock (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Subsidy: NLC Absent As FG, TUC Meet In Aso Rock by Chocs80: 9:06am On Jun 05, 2023
They are not cos if they are, they won't be talking senseless
maasoap:

Most of the Nairalanders and Nigerians who are in support of fuel subsidy removal, I wonder if they are working yet, paying rents, feeding family and taking care of other bills.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy: NLC Absent As FG, TUC Meet In Aso Rock by Everbryte: 9:36am On Jun 05, 2023
Plenty fuel go dey ; same way plenty cement take dey & plenty fertiliser dey

solmusdesigns:
cool
Re: Subsidy: NLC Absent As FG, TUC Meet In Aso Rock by Saao(m): 10:11am On Jun 05, 2023
bolademi:

This is not true
I went to lekki on sunday with public transport from crown estate sangotedo to lekki phase 1. I spent 2k
so why not tell me how much you spent this morning? So from sangotedo to lekki phase one is the same as ajah to ketu? Even ajah to lekki phase one for 2k is too much for someone that earn 40k in a month
Re: Subsidy: NLC Absent As FG, TUC Meet In Aso Rock by 234daniel2010(m): 10:28am On Jun 05, 2023
Confirmedzombie:
Im surprised that only igbos carry the NLC nationwide strike on their head like Gala.

Very bitter souls who are always against every good thing that will move this country forward.

A shame

Olodo, u think an average Igbo man depends on government for anything? Subsidy or no subsidy they are the major players in the Manufacturing, commerce and Realestate industry they will buy up Lagos soon.

Nothing anyone can do about it
Re: Subsidy: NLC Absent As FG, TUC Meet In Aso Rock by Image123(m): 11:35am On Jun 05, 2023
SenatePresdo:

I thought it was a good move, but Tinubu made me understand that it wasn't a good move.
So i don't support it.

Can you explain briefly how Tinubu made you understand? Like points.
Re: Subsidy: NLC Absent As FG, TUC Meet In Aso Rock by Image123(m): 11:59am On Jun 05, 2023
Bfly:

Let's forget politics and face reality.

Subsidy is not bad in itself but porous security measures that undermined the policy and allow our petrol to be stolen is what the government should fight against and government should put up measures so that we can refine our own oil, not importing what we produce. We have only put the money in the hands of unaccountable politicians.

You know what it means for Tinubu not to spend 8years right?
Do you know we still subsidised petrol until june30?

Governance is not about shifting positions, it is about repairing positions.
Individualism is gradually destroying our country.
Tell me what you think will comeout of Tinubu decisions except we don't feed other west Africa countries and the cabals that we are supposed to deal with.
Generally I'm not against removal of subsidy neither do i want Tinubu to fail but the announcement without consensus is absolutely disappointing. Maybe it is part of good governance. I don't know.
Here is the retort strawman.

Subsidy is a freebie, of course people enjoying freebies don't consider it as bad. The point is clear in the fact that it became UNSUSTAINABLE. We have started to BORROW to pay for this FREEBIE. There was a point when it was convenient, but it is no longer convenient. It is not justifiable to borrow over 4Trillion naira yearly to pay less than 200 importers while monies for Health, Education, Infrastructure, Security, Defence, Police etc is less than 25% of this so called freebie.
Subsidy remains free money for importers as they keep submitting bogus and unverifiable figures to the government to pay. As it has become more public, millions of litres are diverted/smuggled to other West African countries. A stop of subsiy clearly means that we will have MORE fuel(supply) as there is no incentive for corruption(smuggling to other countries). Instead of borrowing trillions, government can now make good gain selling fuel. This will free up budgetary allocations, increase IGR and directly increase how much money is shared and received monthly by the FG, State Governments and LGs. There will cotinue to be sabotage to refine our own oil if there is free money. Who needs a refinery that will be a loss when FG can pay subsidy for imports instead? Do you prefer to work day and night, provide power, pay staff, maintain equipment, market your goods so that you can produce a made in Nigeria good and struggle to make gains as you compete with importers being subsidized and getting FX at bank rates, or you'd simply import and get free money from government?
Buhari lacked the mind to remove subsidy so he left it out of the budget. All the subsidy of this year is NOT budgetted for. Last year's was borrowed. It's like your company didn't budget your salary as one of the things they will provide or spend money on. What can the accountant do? They should have simply stopped you from working, instead of you continued working without any provision to pay you.
There can never be consensus to stop subsidy. Can you consent to stop enjoying money? There is never going to be a convenient time to stop waste and freebie. Of course, the people enjoying it can never be happy, but you cannot kill Nigeria because some people are not happy.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy: NLC Absent As FG, TUC Meet In Aso Rock by Raf4: 12:27pm On Jun 05, 2023
cyberguy72:
Because we have not shutdown the oil ind SS abi

Shot it down now. It's no longer useful to Nigerians. We now get imported refined petroleum products at the global rate.
Re: Subsidy: NLC Absent As FG, TUC Meet In Aso Rock by SenatePresdo(m): 2:08pm On Jun 05, 2023
Image123:

Can you explain briefly how Tinubu made you understand? Like points.

I don't have points.

He said "fight The Corruption not Subsidy".

So he should live to his words and fight the corruption, not removing subsidy.
Re: Subsidy: NLC Absent As FG, TUC Meet In Aso Rock by Image123(m): 3:08pm On Jun 05, 2023
SenatePresdo:

I don't have points.

He said "fight The Corruption not Subsidy".

So he should live to his words and fight the corruption, not removing subsidy.

i don't know the context in which you quote him, maybe you can make it clearer. One thing that has become clearer to all though over the years is that subsidy itself is the biggest corruption in Nigeria. Obi, Atiku and Tinubu all agree with that. Buhari, GEJ, Okonjo Iweala, SLSanusi, Akinwumni Adesina, most of the governors past and present agree to this school of thought. The common slogan is "subsidy is a scam", or as Buhari would say "which subsidy, what is subsidy." A corruption that gulps over 4 trillion naira yearly is incomparable to any other known from of corruption in Nigeria.
Re: Subsidy: NLC Absent As FG, TUC Meet In Aso Rock by SenatePresdo(m): 3:40pm On Jun 05, 2023
Image123:

i don't know the context in which you quote him, maybe you can make it clearer. One thing that has become clearer to all though over the years is that subsidy itself is the biggest corruption in Nigeria. Obi, Atiku and Tinubu all agree with that. Buhari, GEJ, Okonjo Iweala, SLSanusi, Akinwumni Adesina, most of the governors past and present agree to this school of thought. The common slogan is "subsidy is a scam", or as Buhari would say "which subsidy, what is subsidy." A corruption that gulps over 4 trillion naira yearly is incomparable to any other known from of corruption in Nigeria.

My question to you is, why did Tinubu protest against removal of Subsidy in 2012?
Re: Subsidy: NLC Absent As FG, TUC Meet In Aso Rock by Image123(m): 4:37pm On Jun 05, 2023
SenatePresdo:

My question to you is, why did Tinubu protest against removal of Subsidy in 2012?

Time.
Probably because it was affordable then, considering the high revenues from crude oil compared to how much was being paid for subsidy. Also, there was a lot of unnecessary waste and notorious corruption going on in that government. Subsidy was also a blurred picture to most people and we remember the televised and reported oil scandals among politicians then.
That's over 11years ago. People and events have since changed. People have left jobs, countries, dear friends and even careers in that period. Even some lover spouses regret their decisions, not to talk of politicians whose decisions are not set/fixed in some holy book. CBN governors, Coordinating ministers and many more have since given insight on the scams of subsidy. Why do you feel he must stick to a decision/opinion like it came from heaven?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Suntai Leaves Govt. House; Packs Into House Bought For Him By His Deputy / Oba Of Benin Organizes Send-off Ceremony For Adams Oshiomole (Photos) / Ganduje, Kwankwaso Reconcile After Intervention Of 6 Governors In Abuja. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.