Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,964 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:07 AM

Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) - Satellite TV Technology (58) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) (347488 Views)

Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 5 - The Final Part) / Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) / Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) ... (85) (Go Down)

Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Nwabunnia(m): 8:22pm On Aug 26, 2008
@All

Those free DSTV channels are finally off. I had a feeling the jamboree was too good to last. Well, let's hope they come back soon - albeit I doubt that seriously.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by dreday(m): 9:22pm On Aug 26, 2008
@ all
I'm so mad at DSTV right now.How could they have taken the stations without giving us notice?
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 10:06pm On Aug 26, 2008
Especially for Newbies:

I found a useful website on aligning satellite dishes; but note that they use Astra 2 which is generally not receivable in Nigeria/West Africa; nevertheless, the principles are basically the same for whatever satellite one wants to receive that is available in one's location.

http://bytelive.com/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=How+to+align+a+satellite+dish

Also: note that there are several videos on you tube giving guidance on how to align a dish; the one in the link below is by the guy who prepared the above Guide.

Free DIY Satellite Alignment Video

smiley
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by obnelly: 10:49pm On Aug 26, 2008
pls i am from sagamu ,i need that 3m where did you get it.kindly mail me :obnelly@yahoo.co.uk or 08028482859
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by doncaster(m): 8:48am On Aug 27, 2008
This is for UK residents,

If you use Virgin Media, i can get you connected to watch all the channels available, from sky movis,sky sports to Setanta and other yaya channels(u gat wort i mean) for £150. Extra 35 bucks will give u 20meg internet connection for one year. You get that from virgin betwen £80 to £100 a month.
For More info hala donncaster@yahoo.ca.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by captainus: 9:46am On Aug 27, 2008
@ ALL,
Yep the freebies from DSTV are off.Well if they released the channels to 'sign' us from FTA to DSTV, then I'm afraid they have failed because the 'transfer window is closed'.

@Sathob,

Yep RDV went scrambed about 30mins into the match.They used to scramble the channels just when the match is about to begin at the beginning of last season but they left it open for the larger part of the season.I suspect because it was 'match of the week'( a match which even GTV can show),they might not have the right to air it.They promised to show a cuple of matches during the coming weekend ,so let us keep our fingers crossed.

@raw-unkat,

I've just asked my installer and according to him to get nilesat one has to have a 4m fibre dish.For further info u can contact him on 0244124516.He is called Issah.If this guy can't get Nilesat for u I doubt if anyone can .
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by microgiant: 10:52am On Aug 27, 2008
hi, all
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by twinstaiye(m): 11:07am On Aug 27, 2008
All Pass 7/10 and MYTV satellite users, rescan your decoder to be able to catch FOOTSCHOOL, another channel that I got yesterday. I think it was on frequency 12522, am not sure, but it is on the same frequency with MYTV Promo channel.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by sathob(m): 11:33am On Aug 27, 2008
@Captainus
Thanks for that one.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by sathob(m): 11:37am On Aug 27, 2008
SOME FACTS TO CONSIDER ALL NEWBIES

1.The Common receive satellite transmission frequency for video is 3.7 - 4.2 GHz in the C-band aand 10.7 - 11.7GHz and 11.7 - 12.75GHz in the Ku band. This can easily help you distinguish on sites like lyngsat which, set of channels are c - band and Ku bands.

2.There exits two kinds of terminology for signal transmission - downlink and uplink signal. Downlink signal is the signal one receives from a satellite in the orbit (about 33000 miles in orbit) which require one to have a television,decoder and dish to view.  The uplink signal is that which the broadcasting stations transmit from the earth here to the satellite in the orbit, so that it can be spread over a wider area coverage for viewing.

3.Downlink signal from satellite upon reaching the earth is very weak and not only because of the distance travelled but also because of the spreading effect of the signal from the the point source to it's footprint. ( footprint in the laymans language is the signal coverage area)

4. A satellite dish acts as an amplifier or is an amplifier. An amplifier increases a signal from a low level to a higher level / a weeker level to a stronger level. An amplifier can be classified as active or passive. An exaapmle of an active amplifier is a transistor - it has an inherent ability to increase signal strength by itself. eg. if a transistor has a gain i.e" the inherent ability" of 20 and a signal of 2 volts is applied at its input, the output result becomes 40 volts (2x20). In the case of a satellite dish, this isn't so. So , the stellite dish is classified as a passive amplifier - the signal strength or amplification is proportional to the size of the dish. This is why a larger dish is required to receive satellite  that are weak. eg nilesat in southern Nigeria or Ghana.

5. To maximise dish gain, the dish must have no surface irregularities (like warps and dents) and must be properly installed.

CHOOSING A DISH FOR C - BAND

1.The bigger the dish the more signals it can gather and the waeker signal it can pull in. First consider and make a list of the satellite  you want receive and look at their footprints. visit www.lyngsat.com
If you have interest in receiving mulitple satellites then go get a c and Ku band compatible dish and LNB. Note that you can not watch the contents of pas 7/10 ku channels with a c-band LNB if those channels are not the c-band and vice versa so don't waste time tracking c-band with Ku LNB grin

If you are buying a mesh satellite dish , be sure  it  has the smaller diameter perforations or else a significant portion of Ku signals will pass "leak" through the dish. (In my personal opinion, the ignorance of this wins vote for solid pan dish). So, take note of the diameter of the perforations.

According to the source of this info,, buying fiber glass dish is not the best this time because that is early thecnolgy and will be guaranteed to have C-band only mesh embedded within.

For those who want to buy solid pan / metal dish, stand aside from it and look across it to be sure it's not warped - if so do not buy it regardless of the price. Note that in buying a new dish, a solid dish will not have a greater efficiency rating than a mesh dish. And considering mesh vs solid, at wind velocity of about 50mph, the two offer the same resistance to wind forces.

The deeper the the dish the lower the gain and the greater the rejection of unwanted singal (noise). The deeper the dish the more narrow will be it's acceptance of satellite signals and the less chance unwanted signals will enter the feed assembly (LNB). Choose shallow dishes, with high gain.

The deeper the dish and the larger the dish, the narrower is the central beam pattern. The effect  on installaiton is that the narrower a main beam then the more difficult it is to focus on the satellite while tuning a dish. this is appreciably noticeable when tracking Ku satellites and when using a larger dish - 3.0m above

The above information is subject to scrutiny by gurs of the forum and all corrections welcome. curled from various sites refred to on this forum. make the best you can out of this. more will be coming.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by memento: 12:17pm On Aug 27, 2008
its like this 'footschool' channel is about scholl for football, cos they ve bn doing analysis of football of milan vs sampdoria for some time now. I hope de will also be showing those games. This really look like its going to be an interesting channes for all the side commentators of foootball. Thanks Twinstaiye. Sure better things are coming in FTA. Cheers.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by mecussey(m): 2:25pm On Aug 27, 2008
who wants to buy a 60cm new HITV dish, I have one for sale, 3,500; but at the same time I need a fairy used Strong decoder, who wants to sale. Send to mecussey@yahoo.com
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Nobody: 4:49pm On Aug 27, 2008
Here are the pictures of the installation of folo28 nilesat.

Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Nobody: 4:57pm On Aug 27, 2008
There's nothing FTA, i wtached the live carling cup match yesterday between newcastle and coventry, i posted the pix below and the new TV channel twinstaiye talked about i got that also yesterday

Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by rawunkat1: 6:54pm On Aug 27, 2008
@Captainus

i called ur guy but to my amazement he said the 4m dish(new) is going for 1200GHC (1200USd) thats way too expensive for me. unfortunately i couldn't have time to ask if he cld get me slight used one. but do u know where or whom i cld get it cheaper from. i targeting not more than 500GHC.

@enitan2002

ur dish is quite huge. what is the size? i envy u.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by ralph007(m): 7:32am On Aug 28, 2008
hello the landers,this is ralph007 from the
phone category of the forum.what am i doing
here then?i come to let you know that you can
increase your "hi. tv"station with additional
10 very important channel,and out of the
additional 10,4 used to scramble,but the
remained 6 stand and show perfectly,infact
you wont stop congratulating yourself and
also thanking me for bringing this to your
hearing.if you care to know more about it
call me on this no, 08083139803,or 27690390070
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by pitodenz(m): 8:07am On Aug 28, 2008
ralph007:

thank u for ur info but if u follow this forum well,u ll get to understand the type of people u re dealing with.please here is not 20 love chat room or all other childish forum.if u ve information and u dont want to share it here ,why not keep it to yourself.for your information this forum is 100% free.nobody is going to call u just for 6 channels on hitv if u cant post ur info forget it cos someone else will.
gush! this guys re getting on my nerves with this call me attitude.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by austinyet(m): 8:17am On Aug 28, 2008
FTA Nairalander,D DSTV free channels is back this morning,but those channels are showing with encrypted $ (dollar) sign.Well who cares since is Free Tv,all i know is dat FTA must prevail.By 2012 all our local channels must have running on DIGITAL.This information was giving out FG.That was a good one & point out dat they want every nigerians to have a setup box/decoder to home in order to those channels with some channels promised by FG.Only God know how quality those channels will be
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Nwabunnia(m): 8:33am On Aug 28, 2008
NatGeo and AM+ are back as of this morning
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Nwabunnia(m): 8:47am On Aug 28, 2008
ralph007:

Obviously, ralph007 or jamesbond007 or whatever-you-call-yourself, this is your first time "visiting" this thread. The channels you are trying to "sell" to us are the free DSTV channels we've all been talking about here - take some time to read thru the last 2 pages of the thread. Even if what u are trying to do were legit, don't expect to get a dime from any member. Go back & check d topic: Free-To-Air
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by McAdeex(m): 10:54am On Aug 28, 2008
thanks pitodenz i got the sat finder but i think i got a misconception of how it works ur no. is not available i tried callin, to any member can i use a 60cm dish to track NSS 7 Ku the RDV Bird.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by adewoyin: 11:08am On Aug 28, 2008
mcadexx u can used 60cm to get rdv birds raph the information was very wrong,dis forum are 4 real sattelite incline people,when droppg information ,pls try to verify ur claim.pls twinstaiye watch out.secondly b4 i forget can i watch 2m on premiership on w6
i will like to hear frm u.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by sayso: 12:02pm On Aug 28, 2008
McAdeex:

thanks pitodenz i got the sat finder but i think i got a misconception of how it works your no. is not available i tried callin, to any member can i use a 60cm dish to track NSS 7 Ku the RDV Bird.
[color=#006600][/color]

McAdeex you can get it very well,am using the same type of dish,but you may not get GTV,the channels I have are.
RDV,CANAL 2 Inter,STV 1&2,LCF,Equinoxe TV,Direct 8,LC2,FRANCE 24 and TV5. and lots of channels with signal strenght  >80%.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by McAdeex(m): 12:10pm On Aug 28, 2008
thanks guys i really appreciate it. does any one knows how to use the sat finder? so i can contact u
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by sathob(m): 12:23pm On Aug 28, 2008
@raw-unkat
what kind of dish is been sold to you at that price 4m I guess, in town 2.4 is selling arround $400 - $500 so give that one a thought. I will try to extend help here, that is contact some guys here on your behalf. keep your fingers crossed.

@McAdeex
you can track NSS & with 60 cm dish refer to http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/nss7_waf.html. As for GTV, even in Accra , you experience "block noise" sometimes at 58% when the weather is cloudy (In my case, it is the first to go off when the weather is like going cloudy). Just try to skew the LNB until you're there where you have weekest signal for a channel and you are through.
The first time I tracked 7 at 22o W, RDV and GTV signals were very bad, so I climbed up and then did the LNB skew until the weakest signal shot up high and it positively affected all the others.
GTV,Direct 8,LC2,RDV, STV 1, STV 2,Equinox, FRance 24,TV5 Afric. Monde, Canal 2 International, Canal+ Horizon ( they are not always opend they come on for some hours say 3- 4 hrs and go scramble) and another channlel Monne something something in french, show the same thing as France 24 but without sound (I don't know if it is a rerplica)

@Nwabunnia
Yes, the freebies were back this morning before I left for work, I saw supper sports 5 and 7 also. They all are on the same frequency as Amag+ and NatGeo. Enjoy smiley
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by sayso: 1:33pm On Aug 28, 2008
Gurus in Da house ,pls I have a little problem,how can I connect two dish signals e.g(mytv and nss 7)to a diseqC switch so that two of them will be displaying in the television,that is I will have two channels at the same time. ? cool
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by captainus: 1:39pm On Aug 28, 2008
@ Raw-unkat,

I agree with you, GHc1200 is too much. If possible contact the strong-technologies agent in Ghana.It  may be a starting place.Their contact details are:

House 10, 3rd Circular Road, Cantonments, Accra
Phone: +233 21 771-382 – Fax: +233 21 786-502
E-mail: karim@strong-technologies.com

@Sathob,
Thanks for the info on the freebies
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by McAdeex(m): 1:46pm On Aug 28, 2008
sayso:

Gurus in Da house ,please I have a little problem,how can I connect two dish signals e.g(mytv and nss 7)to a diseqC switch so that two of them will be displaying in the television,that is I will have two channels at the same time. ? cool

which type of receiver or decoder are u using, and have u bought a diseqC switch already or u want recommendation.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by obnelly: 1:50pm On Aug 28, 2008
ralph007 pls learn from badaru and co ,they give information without asking for a dime from anybody if they ask money they would have be a big man just like dstv managers by now .I guess   this forum is not for people like you.may be you go to another forum where you want to make million or join frank edowo to be a million naire not from nairalanders.up nairalanders in the house.one love.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by sayso: 2:27pm On Aug 28, 2008
@McAdeex
I have Strong 4653X decorder and Hi Tv Decorder and I also have a DiseqC switch already but do not know how to connect it.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by McAdeex(m): 2:52pm On Aug 28, 2008
@ Sayso

i think its best whenever u r ready to do the installation u should let me know.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by McAdeex(m): 2:56pm On Aug 28, 2008
@ Sayso

If i understand u correctly u have to separate dish installed right? and u want to use the diseqC for them. its possible u use it on ur strong decoder alone.

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) ... (85)

Q-SAT: QUEEN OF SATELLITES? / All About Multi Tv Free To Air On Astra 2b / All about IKS Decoders(Qsat, Speed HD, Azsky)POWERVU BIS & IPTV boxes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.