Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,522 members, 7,826,961 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:05 AM

No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes - Politics (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes (43687 Views)

Lagos Indigenes Kick Against Other South-west States Coming To 'hijack' Governor / No Man’s Land: Rhodes Vivour Cautions Obasa Against Divisive Laws / Amotekun Proposed Law: Wale Fapohunda Says Personnel Will Have Powers To Arrest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Stoplying: 3:11pm On Jun 09, 2023
Iupacnomenclatu:
lolll..I see your point.Lagos belongs neither to the Yorubas or Igbos!Your history book says it was originally occupied by the Binis as a base for trading ,mind you.But they(the BinIs)were reportedly expelled OVER 500 years ago!Good..fine!
History of Lagos sovereignty in chronological order:
1) Benin
2) Britain
3) Nigeria

And the British took Lagos from Benin around 1860, so what the hell are you talking about?
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by lawani: 3:13pm On Jun 09, 2023
Creeper:

At excerpt in bold - it isn’t true.

Ekiti and Ondo were NEVER part of Benin kingdom (Eko wasn’t as well). It’s just modern fake history by Benin revisionists.

Ekiti today is one of the oldest Yoruba settlements and at no point was any inch of their land part of Benin Kingdom. In Ondo, Owo defeated Benin kingdom twice and Ilaje (Mahin) killed multiple Benin kings.

If you’re Yoruba, you should endeavour to study in-depth Yoruba history and stop aiding these people in spreading their fallacies and jejune tales. Benin kingdom only gained notoriety due to its stolen art works (which they learned in Ife and Owo) hence they’re able to embellish their fake stories.

Do better.

Parts of Ekiti and Ondo were in the Benin empire before it collapsed. They took Akure from the Ijesa but Akure also later reduced Benin to its tributary state. Some Ekiti towns were also under Benin
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Stoplying: 3:13pm On Jun 09, 2023
I wrote this:
Stoplying:

So if I slap you and we both agree nothing happened then nothing happened?
History is not about agreeing to believe a story, it is about actual proven events.
You guys still don't understand this.

You replied this:
lawani:

A saying goes Eni je eewo tenikan o RI ko jeewo naa niyen. If you eat something forbidden or broke a taboo and nobody is a witness, then you are free. How will you as a third party that was not there be the one to force those two people to agree with your position? And how did you come about that position? Then how does it affect you?. A court would fine you if you file such a petition before it.

Thanks for confirming that the truth doesn't actually matter to you yoruba, you don't care about actual history, you prefer invented stories.
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Raf4: 3:15pm On Jun 09, 2023
Omodua:
But you do not want headquarters of oil companies doing business in Niger Delta but domiciled in Lagos to be relocated to Niger Delta? Ditto all churches with majority igbos but shepherd by Yoruba pastors to be limited to Yoruba members only. So also spare parts business. Importation should be limited to Yorubas only.

Our leaders are not serious. So myopic and self centered.

If we cannot tolerate one another, we should dissolve the Union and we go our separate ways. No need pretending or hating.

So many inherent contradictions militating the polity.

Those oil companies are privately owned and siting their H/O anywhere they deemed right is a corporate decision of the owners. Lagos didn't dictate to them.
Those Churches are not established because of igbos. Individuals, be it Igbo, Hausa, Zulu, Arab, Yoruba etc joined a Church because of their belief or what they will benefit from joining. There are so many Igbo Pastors who left the East for Lagos/SW to establish Church as well.
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Creeper: 3:15pm On Jun 09, 2023
lawani:

Parts of Ekiti and Ondo were in the Benin empire before it collapsed. They took Akure from the Ijesa but Akure also later reduced Benin to its tributary state. Some Ekiti towns were also under Benin

No part of those places were Benin land. They (Benin) were defeated.

Just because people had relationships - it doesn’t mean they were part of anything.
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by IamAsiri: 3:16pm On Jun 09, 2023
Ade3131:

How do you mean "affect"?

Like I said earlier, it's a law that's targeted at the interest of their natives. It's not a "we vs them" thing. Unless you want to make it become that of course. I really don't know why you guys are furious or rather, curious over their affairs.

They're not making laws for kogi state people that lives in Lagos state. They said it's a law to protect the interest of the natives.

If there's something else I'm missing out, pls be kind to point it out. Abi why una dey fear? You don't want them to protect their locals?

Why are you referring to me as "you guys"? Do you know where I am from?
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Stoplying: 3:17pm On Jun 09, 2023
Creeper:

At excerpt in bold - it isn’t true.

Ekiti and Ondo were NEVER part of Benin kingdom (Eko wasn’t as well). It’s just modern fake history by Benin revisionists.

Ekiti today is one of the oldest Yoruba settlements and at no point was any inch of their land part of Benin Kingdom. In Ondo, Owo defeated Benin kingdom twice and Ilaje (Mahin) killed multiple Benin kings.

If you’re Yoruba, you should endeavour to study in-depth Yoruba history and stop aiding these people in spreading their fallacies and jejune tales. Benin kingdom only gained notoriety due to its stolen art works (which they learned in Ife and Owo) hence they’re able to embellish their fake stories.

Do better.

You must have missed this:
Stoplying:
Eyewitness writen precolonial text stating clearly that Lagos belongs to Benin:

"Captain Horseley called it Eco, and that is how the yebous refer to it; but it is not their land: it belongs to Benin, whom have named it Korame, you can recognise the Curamo from older Portuguese reports, just like Eko represents the Ichoo from Holland Hydrographs. Long ago Korame was linked to its metropolis by a very narrow piece of land contained between the great Laguna and the sea; but it has been a while since the Yebous have seazed that very narrow piece of land of which the eastern extremity was invaded by ouyo pirates; and Karamé remained isolated at the extremity of the great Laguna, while it continues to receive from Benin it's governor or political chief."

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k5806879x.r=Y%C3%A9bou?rk=21459;2

Precolonial map of the region showing that Lagos (in its currents form) and its environs were part of Benin (see below)
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595583b.r=Benin?rk=150215;2

Conclusion: Lagos and its environs were part of Benin.

I am not interested in debating things which have already been proven. Also I am not interested in talking to people whom have been harrassing me. (I also want to add that I am actually the only person whom has commented here who actually speaks french and that I am the person who posted the french caption and the book from which it is to nairaland. Some delusional people who don't speak a word of frecnh were trying to "debate" me on the translation of the text several months ago. Fools can only fool other fools.)

Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jun 09, 2023
bakynes:

This guy it seems you don't understand what Kingdoms and Empire entails in the olden days. Do you know Ondo and Ekiti were also part of Benin Empire? because they pay royalties to the Oba of Benin does not make the people Edo people. In the Olden days, Germanian tribes, Saxons were under Roman Empire. Romans even gave them the name Britannia( meaning Britain) but doesn't make them Romans. Lagos was under the Benin Empire doesn't make Lagosians (Aworis and Ijebu) of then Edo people. Ekiti, Ondo and Lagos people were Yorubas then under the Benin Empire. Understand the difference.
We were never under any Benin empire. You people need to give it a rest. Yoruba were never once under Benin empire. Oba of Lagos has ancestry to oba of Benin and oba of Benin has ancestry to ife. But Yoruba were never Benin empire. That’s why no lagosian speaks Edo language

1 Like

Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Stoplying: 3:22pm On Jun 09, 2023
I just admire how Yoruba basically go into debates about history with zero knowledge of history, and just fanatical beliefs and zero logic.
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by lawani: 3:22pm On Jun 09, 2023
Stoplying:
I wrote this:

You replied this:

Thanks for confirming that the truth doesn't actually matter to you yoruba, you don't care about actual history, you prefer invented stories.

You don't seem to understand. For example, if all Igbos agree on something in their history that concerns them, then no non Igbo will go there and argue with them because the person would appear foolish. However Igbos don't agree on mostly everything because a large number of them are not even cultural or ethnic Igbos but Igbo speakers. They use the language as a trade language and only became Igbo by association. That is why many nationalist Igbos complain of lack of unity among Igbos but Yoruba is not like that despite having our own differences.
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Stoplying: 3:23pm On Jun 09, 2023
ogunijebu18:

oba of Benin has ancestry to ife.
Provide evidence or admit you are a liar
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Raf4: 3:25pm On Jun 09, 2023
obyno82:

Let us define what is called indigene here. Because una dey dodge too many things if we go by what the constitution defines as indigene, then those from Ogun and other SW states would be affected by the law too.

I am not interested in how you define indigenes in your enclave. So, don't teach us how to define our indigenes in the SW.
No one from Ogun and other SW states has complained about the proposed law. Why only you people?
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by obyno82: 3:26pm On Jun 09, 2023
AfonjaScud:

Nonsense. We have the evidence and your rigging methods were blocked for the governorship election

Oha bring it and stop talking like someone on cheap drugs.
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Creeper: 3:27pm On Jun 09, 2023
Stoplying:

You must have missed this:

Man, get this fake junk pseudo-history out of here.

Curamo was gifted to the Portuguese by the Ijebus.

Benin’s voyage to Lagos happened due to their war with the Ilajes and they were taken there by Itsekiris. The Oba of Benin was ambushed by the Ilajes when he was returning to Benin and he sustained injuries that later killed him. Itsekiris actually have more claims to Lagos than Benin because without them - there’s no way Benin would’ve made it to Lagos.

Also, you don’t jump over kingdoms to conquer another one. Benin never conquered Ijebu, so how would they have conquered another territory you have to go through Ijebu kingdom to get to? It’s just common sense. But I guess logic doesn’t work when making up fake stories.

Benin also never conquered Itsekiris.
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by obyno82: 3:27pm On Jun 09, 2023
ogunijebu18:

If they evict you you’ll go. If you don’t you’ll be arrested refuse and you’ll be shot

Come and arrest me naaaa. You think this intimidation will work. If you try any thing fresh you will see God that day.
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jun 09, 2023
Stoplying:

https://education.nationalgeographic.org/resource/kingdom-benin/
The first oba, or king, in Benin was Eweka. He was the son of the prince from Ife.
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by obyno82: 3:28pm On Jun 09, 2023
Raf4:

I am not interested in how you define indigenes in your enclave. So, don't teach us how to define our indigenes in the SW.
No one from Ogun and other SW states has complained about the proposed law. Why only you people?

Oga when the law comes into full force and the guys from Ogun and other SW states are told what it means for them your eyes will clear.
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Stoplying: 3:30pm On Jun 09, 2023
It is not possible to debate these yoruba guys, they are too fanatical and have no logic in their brains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8PYb28ULHQ
It is not surprising, Yoruba are the only southerners who joined Islamic terrorist groups. These guys have the same fanatical mentality as boko haram.

The video says it all, don't waste your time debating fanatical fools. No matter how many times you prove them wrong, they will never deviate from their disproven belief.
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by professorPABX: 3:34pm On Jun 09, 2023
kiss
Stoplying:

Orunba Ado (cementery of Ado kings) was at Ife. The Ooni and Ife priests up till date know where the cemetery is located.

Also, Benin has never denied there was a link between them and Ife till date despite the mixed up and disagreement on historical account by the late Oba of Benin and late Ooni.

ONITSHA, the indigenous ONITSHA people also migrated from IFE to the present Onitsha. They had a stopover at Benin and other places before settling down where they are now.

You are actually blinded. So, you want somebody to prove that Eweka once ruled Benin and you demanded for evidence.
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Olabode211: 3:36pm On Jun 09, 2023
So did those people clam no man's land there? Bunch of fool kiss cheesy
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Stoplying: 3:37pm On Jun 09, 2023
ogunijebu18:

https://education.nationalgeographic.org/resource/kingdom-benin/
The first oba, or king, in Benin was Eweka. He was the son of the prince from Ife.
Provide evidence to that.
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Olabode211: 3:37pm On Jun 09, 2023
Imagine still have ordercity to yawn for another person state and region...
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by t2luv1: 3:40pm On Jun 09, 2023
Stoplying:

So the Enugu people are not tribalists therefore you support tribalism in Lagos?
You said it yourself, they did not allow a lsn to be governor on the basis of him being Igbo, the requirement is that he must be born in Enugu. And your own conclusion is that any Yoruba should get preferential treatment in Lagos?
Show me the logic here.

Going with your logic Any Ibo man that wants to be treated as an indigent of Lagos State must have been born there. How about that?
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Stoplying: 3:43pm On Jun 09, 2023
t2luv1:

Going with your logic Any Ibo man that wants to be treated as an indigent of Lagos State must have been born there. How about that?
Please jump directly to the point which you are trying to make, I can't read minds.
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Tzar(m): 3:44pm On Jun 09, 2023
As long as Sharia exists in northern states, nobody can stop the law in Lagos. Mark my words it will be passed. The current circumstances of settlers calling Lagos ‘ No man’s land’ and acting on the delusion has made it imperative.
eldoradoxx:

All these ur argument has not shown where our constitution allows states to make discriminatory laws, one that classify citizens according to origin. I assure you, it will not fly in Nigeria. Our constitution already clearly forbids it.
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Stoplying: 3:44pm On Jun 09, 2023
Ok enough I'm done talking to you guys you are too many and too fanatical and too ignorant, just keep basking in your ignorance and fairytales about Lagos and Benin and Ife.
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Stoplying: 3:46pm On Jun 09, 2023
We were all afraid of Islamisation of Nigeria and failed to notice the yorubanisation of Lagos. It turns out that Yoruba were more fanatical than fulani herdsmen, who would have thought 🤔
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by luluman: 3:46pm On Jun 09, 2023
Ihateheadslamer:
Damnnn niggar

It won't be a bad idea if other states can follow up with the law tongue
Starting from my state OYO state
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Yorubafather: 3:46pm On Jun 09, 2023
Stoplying:
It is not possible to debate these yoruba guys, they are too fanatical and have no logic in their brains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8PYb28ULHQ
It is not surprising, Yoruba are the only southerners who joined Islamic terrorist groups. These guys have the same fanatical mentality as boko haram.

The video says it all, don't waste your time debating fanatical fools. No matter how many times you prove them wrong, they will never deviate from their disproven belief.

You are 100% right, i have come to realized the same thing about them, very strange set of people... spit
wish we could divide this country, i don't even want to have anything to do with this hate filled tribe, only tribe who take pride in Agbero and all sort of crimes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by luluman: 3:47pm On Jun 09, 2023
Lutherblaq:
I just can't ignore this anymore The guy who is proposing the law most be a a big time psychopath

This sorta things is some how childish, i mean like when you tryna play with his/her toy and he/she started vibrating and crying saying you wanna take his toy from him grin

After many tribes that come from their respectful states has made lagos what it has became. some people want to start some sorta useless Tribalism, seriously this is highly stupid and foolish if you ask me

But what did i know
So because you & your kins came from your village to develop our Lagos we should no longer protect our people? So dumb.
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jun 09, 2023
Stoplying:

Provide evidence to that.
It says it right there. Before the oba of Benin was founded Edo had ogiso rulers.
https://www.edoworld.net/origin_of_the_Edo_people.html
https://guardian.ng/features/ogiso-and-ogiamien-are-aborigine-binis-while-oba-of-benin-is-of-yoruba-descent-high-chief-esotericist-monday-wehere/
As far as Lagos is concerned the indigenous are Yorubas. Edo don’t look like Yorubas or speak the same language. It’s not rocket science
Re: No Man’s Land: Rhodes-vivour Condemns Proposed Law To Protect Lagos Indigenes by Raf4: 3:48pm On Jun 09, 2023
obyno82:

Oga when the law comes into full force and the guys from Ogun and other SW states are told what it means for them your eyes will clear.

You don't need to complain on behalf of other SW state now. As a matter of fact, every true Yoruba is comfortable with the law that will protect their kinsmen - indigenous Lagosians.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (22) (Reply)

Elections Must Be Cancelled In Rivers State, Says Amaechi / Shettima: Nigeria is Too Big For Peter Obi To Handle / Haruna Innuwa Dogo Mabo And Wife Take Maternity Photos & Nigerians Are Arguing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.