Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,906 members, 7,821,146 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:58 AM

President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law (50143 Views)

Tinubu Signs Electricity Amendment Bill Into Law / Enugu Signs Electricity Bill Into Law, Targets 30 Billion USD Economy / 10 Benefits Of 2023 Electricity Act Bill Signed By President Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by Ellasure: 12:06pm On Jun 09, 2023
lexy2014:

When did signing a bill into law become a big deal? Is Tinubu the first head of executive in Nigeria to sign a bill into law?

Did the bill he signed originate from him?

who appointed you to be marking individual opinion and feelings on this platform. if you are not busy kindly find something to do oooh.

tinubu is counting his days as they are going and from the looks he is not waiting for your scores. he is doing the scoring himself.

lobatan.

1 Like

Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by Goodman247: 12:08pm On Jun 09, 2023
So behari no sign that bill bfore he leave that man wicked, tinubu make Nigeria a better country for everyone
Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by Greattie08: 12:11pm On Jun 09, 2023
Tekzyflex:
I dey suspect Jagaban oooo! This guy may likely break the yoke of naija oooo. He's starting fine.

Let us pray for him t succeed and END well...
Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by Gilgil: 12:12pm On Jun 09, 2023
Pls don’t rejoice.

This act is limited in that states can’t sell power to other states.

Imagine having huge gas reserves, and your state’s electricity demand is 200 MW but your 5 Neighboring states don’t have gas but have a total electricity demand of 1,000MW, it means you can’t invest in a gas power plant of 1,200 MW where you can use your 200MW and sell the remaining 1,000MW to your neighbours.

And so this defeats economy of scale and profitability.

It’s going to make every state buy small mini-grids which is more expensive than having big power plants that supply regions.

Imagine if gas bearing states like Bayelsa, akwa Ibom, Rivers, Delta, IMO, Abia, Ondo invest in power generation plants of 2,000MW each, there won’t be need for Edo, Lagos, Abogun, OYO, Osun, Ekiti, Cross River to build power plants, they may just invest in transmission and distribution alone.

Then Soko, a kaduna, Kano etc can build solar power plants and sell to Abuja, Kogi , plateau etc.

This would save duplication of small scale equipment and save US dollar spend
Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by richmond500: 12:13pm On Jun 09, 2023
Electrokco:
Signing is never the problem but enforcement is the real deal
what do u want to enforce here again?

It's left for the private sector to do their thing
Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by thedio(m): 12:16pm On Jun 09, 2023
nelxxy:
i like how tinubu is moving.. my major worries about his government is corruption
Incase u don't know, Tinubu was an auditor. I don't know the trick anyone would use to steal his govt money unless he decided to look away or authorized it
Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by kokoA(m): 12:17pm On Jun 09, 2023
My business depends on power supply majorly, even if I have to pay times 5 of what I'm paying now to get stable power I will happily do it.
Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by adefitim(m): 12:20pm On Jun 09, 2023
Amen and you too

SaintLucia:
u will also succeed and come out victorious in whatever u do in life.

1 Like

Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by lexy2014: 12:21pm On Jun 09, 2023
Ellasure:

who appointed you to be marking individual opinion and feelings on this platform. if you are not busy kindly find something to do oooh.

tinubu is counting his days as they are going and from the looks he is not waiting for your scores. he is doing the scoring himself.

lobatan.

That still leaves the questions unanswered.

When did signing a bill into law become a big deal?

Is Tinubu the first head of the executive in Nigeria to sign a bill into law?

Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by adefitim(m): 12:21pm On Jun 09, 2023
Yes, Daddy.

lexy2014:

Do you for your tailor to succeed in sewing your clothes?

Do you pray for service providers to succeed so u can have network to browse?
Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by koladata(m): 12:21pm On Jun 09, 2023
one person "share" your comment, why are some people after the pains of this country. Some people want tinubu to fail just to prove their point.. Omo wickedness is real oo
Nwaotu10:
Seems Tinubu will do well.
Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by pat077: 12:24pm On Jun 09, 2023
millionboi2:
Make tinubu open border make food items come down.na wetin i won hear be that.
border is already open.
Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by adefitim(m): 12:24pm On Jun 09, 2023
Can you imagine the useless question someone asked me on my comment
NaMe4:
Another great one.

Good he assented this without any timewasting.

He will. Provided he gets the necessary support from law-abiding citizens with a sense of patriotism and responsibility.

Also, he should be surrounded by progressive-minded individuals with records of performance and who can voice out when convinced the government may be moving in the wrong direction. Not hungry 'yes men' or saboteurs.

Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by 9jaRealist: 12:24pm On Jun 09, 2023
nlfpmod:

https://nairametrics.com/2023/06/09/president-bola-tinubu-signs-electricity-act-2023-into-law/

Without prejudice, this report must be missing some information…
Because the President CANNOT assent to a bill that is more than 30 days old.
embarassed
>
Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by adeoba2008(m): 12:25pm On Jun 09, 2023
Septagon:
Didn't read but i believe it will lead to more taxation and more bills,who read?

Hadley Chase available
You will be alright ay last.
Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by Dicado: 12:26pm On Jun 09, 2023
Electricity metre is the responsibility of the electricity company and not the consumer.

Pre-paid metres for electricity is same as a POS machine for business. Let's say you're a businessman, would you ask your customers to buy you POS machine to improve the billing process of your business?

Electricity metres help the companies to bill the customers accurately on their consumption of electricity to avoid been cheated. Where customers are required to buy metres are situations where their meters were damaged by their own loads.

In 2016, one of my bosses bought a pre-paid metre at ₦85,000 from electricity distribution company in Abuja and on the document inside, he discovered that the meter was donated to Nigeria by World Bank (bearing NOT FOR SALE) to assist Nigeria overcome electricity debts but these companies hoarded them and sold them at fraudulent prices of which some government agencies have their share of the corruption. In advanced countries, electricity metres are not for sale. We understand that the companies would pay for a large number of metre if they want to buy it, but that's why there are loans, Dangote and other serious businessmen took trillions in loans for business. Our Nigerian electricity companies are not in for any business, that's why they prefer the outrageous estimated billing of consumers to the use of metre. If you observe very well, there are parts of Nigeria having free distribution of metres, others were sold but all these are to message the international community that they're doing the right thing. Only the ill informed people are ignorant of the level of corruption going on in the entire system. We keep pointing hand in the wrong direction. The government is not Nigeria's problem but the people inside.

So, if the government mean business to actually address the issue electricity, they must enforce the use of pre-paid metres to consumers and the cost of the metres must be the responsibility of the electricity company.

Patriotsleague:

Your state governors can make supply of metre for free, based on incentives they give to investors. It's like you people don't know what the term 'deregulation' means, every state now determines the type of investors and package they get in their power sector. You people act like kids who can't think for themselves always waiting for FG now the bill is passed, still waiting for FG to give free metres grin

Your state governor is the president of your state, focus more on him than you do the presidency.
Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by Dbestbrest: 12:28pm On Jun 09, 2023
See transformation that's already having positive impacts on the future of Nigeria. This will open up the economy! Many youths went into okada and keke business due to lack of electricity to set up their businesses that requires electricity. No doubt, better days ahead for Nigeria to break forth into prosperity. I expect Akwa Ibom, Lagos, Rivers Kaduna, Anambra, Abia to seize this opportunity and hit the ground running to start in earnest, the commencement of electricity generation that will boast their economic growth and general development. Nigerians will live their dreams under Jagaban
Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by treatise: 12:29pm On Jun 09, 2023
Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by Patriotsleague: 12:30pm On Jun 09, 2023
Dicado:

Electricity metre is the responsibility of the electricity company and not the consumer.

Pre-paid metres for electricity is same as a POS machine for business. Let's say you're a businessman, would you ask your customers to buy you POS machine to improve the billing process of your business?

Electricity metres help the companies to bill the customers accurately on their consumption of electricity to avoid been cheated. Where customers are required to buy metres are situations where their meters were damaged by their own loads.

In 2016, one of my bosses bought a pre-paid metre at ₦85,000 from electricity distribution company in Abuja and on the document inside, he discovered that the meter was donated to Nigeria by World Bank (bearing NOT FOR SALE) to assist Nigeria overcome electricity debts but these companies hoarded them and sold them at fraudulent prices of which some government agencies have their share of the corruption. In advanced countries, electricity metres are not for sale. We understand that the companies would pay for a large number of metre if they want to buy it, but that's why there are loans, Dangote and other serious businessmen took trillions in loans for business. Our Nigerian electricity companies are not in for any business, that's why they prefer the outrageous estimated billing of consumers to the use of metre. If you observe very well, there are parts of Nigeria having free distribution of metres, others were sold but all these are to message the international community that they're doing the right thing. Only the ill informed people are ignorant of the level of corruption going on in the entire system. We keep pointing hand in the wrong direction. The government is not Nigeria's problem but the people inside.

So, if the government mean business to actually address the issue electricity, they must enforce the use of pre-paid metres to consumers and the cost of the metres must be the responsibility of the electricity company.

We are saying the same thing, your state governors can make the arrangements with the investors, it is by agreement, terms of service.
Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by Patriotsleague: 12:31pm On Jun 09, 2023
lexy2014:

Doesn't answer the questions.

Which job is he getting done?

Is he first Nigerian president to sign a bill into law?

Aren't you aware that signing a bill into law is a normal function of the head of the executive?

Is he the one that made the bill he signed?
You should be more concerned about what your state governor is doing.
Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jun 09, 2023
smiley Good Keep it up .... Recharge our Productivity.

If you keep up like this within one year we just might see positive unprecedented changes in our economy .

I know my Oga at the Top is definitely going to invest in electricity so Nigeria can be a Tourist and Industrial hub ...

Good Policies usually make all the difference, provided they don't summersault.

The Renewable part is still where there is comma , shey the Canadian fire has not done more damage to the Ozone layer than all the smoke coming from exhaust pipe in Lagos in the last decades.. We have a huge gas and oil reserves, if they are not use, most likely they will cause volcanic eruptions else where and don't ask me for prove , if you can't provide proof the smokes from exhaust pipes are affecting the Ozone layer.

Oyinbo people ma ma gbe yin ni handicap when it suit them and their enterprise..
Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by Image123(m): 12:37pm On Jun 09, 2023
lexy2014:

You didn't answer my questions.

Is he the first nigerian president to sign a bill into law?

No, it doesn't have to. He can refuse to sign it also. Acknowledge and celebrate the fact that he signed it. Without his signing, it will remain dead.

When did signing a bill into law warrant ass licking as if we have never seen it before in history?

Celebrating the speed and progress of Nigeria is not ass licking. Two weeks in government is too short for anyone to be labelled as ass licking, or perhaps you don't know what you are talking about. The Electricity Act 2023 is exciting, you should familiarise yourself with it instead of sulking in negativity. This is beautiful for renewable energy. Bottlenecks to Nigeria's power generation has been broken. It empower states, companies, and individuals to generate, transmit and distribute electricity. If you are sad about this, it is no fault of mine.

1 Like

Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by 9jaRealist: 12:41pm On Jun 09, 2023
Rubyjade:
cheesy

-The Act will bring about the de-monopolization of Nigeria’s electricity generation, transmission, and distribution of electricity at the National level and empower states, companies, and individuals to generate, transmit and distribute electricity.

-The Electricity Act was first passed in July 2022 under the Muhammadu Buhari administration.

First, the “de-monopolization” had already been effected by the constitutional amendment signed by Buhari…
However, doubtful it would actually affect transmission since the states can only regulate within their boundaries.

Furthermore, Buhari did NOT sign the Electricity Act bill that was passed by the NASS in July 2022…
It is THIS bill that was passed in July 2022, and it replaces the Electricity Sector Reform Act of 2005 signed by Obasanjo.
>

3 Likes

Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by Fiyin007: 12:42pm On Jun 09, 2023
obembet:
The Act also states that anyone may construct, own or operate an undertaking for generating electricity not exceeding 1 megawatt (MW) in aggregate at a site or an undertaking for distribution of electricity with a capacity not exceeding 100 kilowatts (KW) in aggregate at a site, or such other capacity as NERC may determine from time to time, without a license.

I think we have best president so far

This act needs an upward review cos it's not good enough for those who have capacities of generating 1 MW to only be able to transmit and distribute a meagre 100kw.

1 Like

Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by eleniyan2020: 12:42pm On Jun 09, 2023
TheboyGhost:

If we fail again, we will start all over again until we get it right my Nigerian Neighbor.
I just pray they give you guys Biafra...but SS reject Biafra, nothing special about you pple been part of Nigeria,just tarnishing the name of this country all over the world with your drug business!

2 Likes

Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by Rubyjade: 12:43pm On Jun 09, 2023
wink
9jaRealist:

First, the “de-monopolization” had already been effected by the constitutional amendment signed by Buhari…
However, doubtful it would actually affect transmission since the states can only regulate within their boundaries.

Furthermore, Buhari did NOT sign the Electricity Act bill that was passed by the NASS in July 2022…
It is THIS bill that was passed in July 2022, and it replaces the Electricity Sector Reform Act of 2005 signed by Obasanjo.
>
Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by eleniyan2020: 12:43pm On Jun 09, 2023
OgunkeelAllMod:
Pls who is PresiDIot thiefnu-ibu

Iyalaya Oshi angry

your four father's generation cannot remove him!

1 Like

Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by feek07: 12:48pm On Jun 09, 2023
millionboi2:
Make tinubu open border make food items come down.na wetin i won hear be that.

idi iroko boarder was opened three days ago
Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by Dicado: 12:48pm On Jun 09, 2023
Patriotsleague:

We are saying the same thing, your state governors can make the arrangements with the investors, it is by agreement, terms of service.
Right, but the directive had to be specified in the Act to suppress corruption otherwise it's trash. Most Nigerian Governors are very corrupt and wouldn't do such because they themselves are currently benefiting from the ongoing estimated billing going on.
Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by Electorate: 12:52pm On Jun 09, 2023
GeneralPula:
Interesting..

As a citizen, one advantage of this is that you can invest into electricity and start making money..

Invest in Generating 100KW and start distribution while you receive your pay accordingly! This is just like owing a filling station & discharging fuel for people at a price! You don’t need a license for this so if anyone is requesting for license, just report the person!

But ensure you don't go beyond the law so you won't have problem..

The Act also states that anyone may construct, own or operate an undertaking for generating electricity not exceeding 1 megawatt (MW) in aggregate at a site or an undertaking for distribution of electricity with a capacity not exceeding 100 kilowatts (KW) in aggregate at a site, or such other capacity as NERC may determine from time to time, without a license.

Did the act mention selling electricity to the public? You think Government is that dumb.

Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by Physicsgodbeast: 12:52pm On Jun 09, 2023
richmond500:
what do u want to enforce here again?

It's left for the private sector to do their thing

U don talk everything
Re: President Tinubu Signs Electricity Act 2023 Into Law by Tekzyflex(m): 12:53pm On Jun 09, 2023
Greattie08:

Let us pray for him t succeed and END well...

Exactly! And shun tribal sentiment

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

EndSARS: Donald Duke On Looting In Calabar, 'When Human Being Steals Toilet' / "People Curse Me In Mosques" - Aisha Yesufu / Okorocha Meets With Buhari, Ambode, Ngige In Enugu, Attends APC Rally (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.